• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Batman Director Matt Reeves Wants Mr Freeze in a Sequel

ManaByte

watching arnold schwarzenegger GIF

"In my view, I just feel drawn to finding the grounded version of everything. So to me it would be a challenge in an interesting way to try and figure out how that could happen, even the idea of something like Mr. Freeze, that such a great story, right? I think there's actually a grounded version of that story, which could be really powerful and could be really great. So, I love the fantastical side of Batman, but this iteration, obviously, while being, to me, I think it is very comics faithful, but I don't think that this one is necessarily, it doesn't lean as hard into the fantastical, I guess. But I think to me what would be interesting would be to try and unwind the fantastical and see, well, how could that make sense here? And so that's kind of my view, how I see it."

There are rumors...

...that the ending of The Batman sets up Mr. Freeze showing up, as the movie ends in something of a cliffhanger where The Riddler is successful in flooding Gotham like in Year Zero.
ftgRUw7.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as the trend is the current crop of dark and serious movies which are awesome, it's hard to mess up a Batman movie.

Just stay away from all that corny shit from the 90s. When a cartoon is better than $100M budget movies you got issues.

Last edited:
I really like this guy's views on Batman. I've always leaned towards the "grounded" take of the character, personally. It makes the fantastical elements more interesting when they do come up because not everyone is running around with superpowers. I'm trying so hard to keep my expectations in check for the movie but I am beyond hyped for it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've never been compelled by anything involving Mr. Freeze.

Far more interesting villains out there honestly.

Mr. Freeze being barely a bad guy is way more interesting than most Batman villains, though. You could do a "realistic" Mr. Freeze really well who is just a scientist trying to save his wife. Scrap the frost gun.

Mr. Freeze being barely a bad guy is way more interesting than most Batman villains, though. You could do a "realistic" Mr. Freeze really well who is just a scientist trying to save his wife. Scrap the frost gun.
Yeah, I get it. Tie it into global warming or something lol, make him a tragic billionaire or whatever.

I just think there's far more interesting stories out there. But it's not like I wont be interested. Batman usually delivers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ya. Mr. Freeze with an ice gun in modern Batman movies would be stupid.

The moniker "Mr. Freeze" doesn't even have to be about cold and ice and that spacesuit he wore. It could relate to a something offshoot like a pissed off rogue doctor putting people in comas or something. Nobody wanted to save his comatose wife, so right back at ya.

The moniker "Mr. Freeze" doesn't even have to be about cold and ice and that spacesuit he wore. It could relate to a something offshoot like a pissed off rogue doctor putting people in comas or something. Nobody wanted to save his comatose wife, so right back at ya.
0Ccwb.jpg

Would be cool if he had horrible frostbite damage on his body.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would be cool if he had horrible frostbite damage on his body.
Might be an ok idea. Just comes down to how realistic the producers want to make it. And for my tastes I like it dark and gritty.

The new Riddler is so wildly different than anything I've seen before. In the snippets, he just looks like a crazy dude acting like one part unibomber, and one part he'll hang you on a meat hook. I googled what he looks like and he's in greenish hunting gear. Looks good.

Last edited:

Banned
imagine the balls he would have to have if he casted Schwarzenegger again for it :)
and imagine how crazy it would be if it actually worked out well for some weird reason

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
imagine the balls he would have to have if he casted Schwarzenegger again for it :)
and imagine how crazy it would be if it actually worked out well for some weird reason
You never know.

Make Arnie a pissed off villain on his own deathbed who is one part still smart and clever, and one part dementia and you got a reckless villain whose trying to kill everyone. Just make sure you dont get wacky shit like a freeze gun or he's always frosty looking in a fishbowl helmet. Just make him a demented normal human.

Mr Freeze historically is supposed to be a half moral villain only going after evil doers against him and his wife, and anyone who gets in his way like Batman (at least the cartoon made him be like that, not sure what he's like in comics). But now his last gasp is taking down an entire city. Whatever sickness his deceased wife had, he wants that on everyone.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I would love to see 6'4" awesome charactor actor Doug Jones play Dr Freeze or Scarecrow. I think he could do an amazing job. :)

5cwy76I.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That's....... disappointing. I thought the rumours were this film would be setting up the Court of Owls? That would be more interesting than Mr Freeze.

I've never been a fan of Freeze. He's always been a joke villain to me and has never come across as a real threat.

Top Bottom