• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best looking texture you saw so far

I love people trying to argue with examples when the topic title clearly states "The best looking texture you saw so far" ... It's subjective.

mcz117chief

Remember Goldeneye on the N64?

Remember this part with the modem thing?

image.png

Here's how it looks if you zoom in on the modem with the sniper rifle:

image.png

Pretty crazy right? And yeah, it looks this way on the real N64. I remember being impressed by this, i think it was the first time i was ever impressed with this whole texturing deal.

Is this real? I can't imagine this is real, it looks way WAY too advanced for N64 or maybe I am just a noob and I don't understand a lick of graphic engineering.

lazygecko

Is this real? I can't imagine this is real, it looks way WAY too advanced for N64 or maybe I am just a noob and I don't understand a lick of graphic engineering.

It's just a very small patterned texture tiled over and over. The very small model it's on along with the UV map makes sure it doesn't get all stretched out, and is repeated instead.

HTupolev

It's a tiny texture that's just repeated a whole bunch, so it won't burn much memory.
It's also not being layered with any other textures, and it's being used just like all the other textures in the game, so the sampling cost shouldn't be unusually high.

There's nothing technically crazy going on.

mcz117chief

It's a tiny texture that's just repeated a whole bunch, so it won't burn much memory.
It's also not being layered with any other textures, and it's being used just like all the other textures in the game, so the sampling cost shouldn't be unusually high.

There's nothing technically crazy going on.

It's just, when you compare it to those huge pixels right next to it it just feels so out of place, like a partially done HD remake.

Remember Goldeneye on the N64?

Remember this part with the modem thing?

image.png

Here's how it looks if you zoom in on the modem with the sniper rifle:

image.png

Pretty crazy right? And yeah, it looks this way on the real N64. I remember being impressed by this, i think it was the first time i was ever impressed with this whole texturing deal.

My man!
Also on the same game, the walls on the Aztec level or the videotape you have to pick up at several missions (like Bunker 2) has a GoldenEye movie VHS texture applied onto it and even after maximum zooming in with the sniper rifle/camera ingame, it still looks really detailed. RARE really knew how to advantage of the N64.

other people have complained as well, this thread is about best looking textures in games. the dude posting a pic of a simple model, that looks like shiny plastic, saying it's the most impressive thing he has ever seen in a game. when even textures from ps3 games are far more impressive, like the uncharted pic or kratos model.
Eh? What are you even looking at? The model everyone is referring to has a completely matt, fabric look to it. You can tell the difference between glossy, matt and metal materials right?

Anyway, I wouldn't identify that Smash doll as an example of impressive texture work, as it's the lighting and the basic material shader doing all the work in making it look as nice as it does. The texture itself isn't much more than a flat block of green.

I've been replaying Darksiders 2 recently and the texturework is that game is great. In particular, the quality of the normal maps they have baked down from high poly assets are super impressive.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
That's not really a game, but that's in-engine stuff : everything Koola did inside Unreal Engine 4.
He is even actually creating a game, here is the blog.
If you want to try these crazy quality things on your PC, you could also check the Benoit Dereau portfolio. His last stuff called Lucid Arch is mind blowing.

Well, anyway, even without textures you can create good looking things on UE4 (as well as other actual engine I imagine), as long as you know how to master the lights I think.
I saw this on Unreal Tournament forums. And I doubt there's any textures here. I know it's not the subject (more an overture...) but damn, everyday I can see some good indie UE4 stuff.

kQUb2Ci.gif

other people have complained as well, this thread is about best looking textures in games. the dude posting a pic of a simple model, that looks like shiny plastic, saying it's the most impressive thing he has ever seen in a game. when even textures from ps3 games are far more impressive, like the uncharted pic or kratos model.

Review30.jpg

Er... what? The texture for Substitute is clearly a matte fabric. What are you looking at? And while we're at it, that God of War screen is as mediocre as you can get. The lighting is nice, but what textures am I supposed to be looking at?

Übermatik;193738950 said:
Er... what? The texture for Substitute is clearly a matte fabric. What are you looking at? And while we're at it, that God of War screen is as mediocre as you can get. The lighting is nice, but what textures am I supposed to be looking at?

who cares? if matte or not, there is nothing impressive about those textures, its flat, and has no detail.

the krotos model is not really high poly, the reason it looks so good is cause of the texture work, in terms of character model on last gen consoles and wiiu, this is clrealy the best.

god-of-war-iii-20100310054648262.jpg

shiyrley

Banned
- This Smash texture / model looks great
- NO YOU'RE WRONG KRATOS IS BETTER SHUT UP WHO CARES

Relax and accept that you are the only one on this forum that absolutely hates and despises the Wii U for no reason

who cares? if matte or not, there is nothing impressive about those textures, its flat, and has no detail.

I don't see how it's taken so long for someone to say this. I don't see what's impressive at all about it, it's a matte texture with some rim lighting and what looks to be a little translucent layer to represent fuzz. Nothing that hasn't been done before and it looks average.

Really? I'll take your word for it. I distinctly remember being a lot less impressed with it, seeing it directly. Maybe it breaks down when seen from different angles, dunno.

It is kind of hard getting a frame of reference on account of that being the only example floating around the net.

This is one I took from The Uncharted Collection, basically textures res increases the closer you get. I know it's not 1 to 1 comparison as this is PS4 not PS3... I have another tree shot as well with a similar effect.
22286106025_50b9d1b073_o.png

This is one I took from The Uncharted Collection, basically textures res increases the closer you get. I know it's not 1 to 1 comparison as this is PS4 not PS3... I have another tree shot as well with a similar effect.
22286106025_50b9d1b073_o.png
Interestingly, I am pretty sure that normal map on the tree is not very high resolution even. Rather, the sun and lighting angle is doing most of the work.

Übermatik;193738950 said:

GoW 3 does have some decent textures, that shot is not the best though. But then again, I think most big AAA games on PS3 had nice textures, for a console with only 256MB of vRAM.

Despite being over 15 years old and low-res by today's standards...Silent Hill 2 & 3 still clearly had a damn lot of work put into their environment texturing.

sh2pc2010-09-1818-31-0sa9t.JPG

m89Es.jpg

666777_orig.jpg

Yes. Incredible far ahead of its time.

Imagine going from that, to 10 years later this

O5pOsjF.jpg

I2flKZR.jpg

SOuG80F.jpg

(no. the textures are not in the middle of loading)

Unicorn

the krotos model is not really high poly, the reason it looks so good is cause of the texture work, in terms of character model on last gen consoles and wiiu, this is clrealy the best.

god-of-war-iii-20100310054648262.jpg
Wtf? Kratos is definitely high poly. Look at his shoulders, hard to find the poly edges. Tons of smooth edges all over too. No way textures are AAing lol.

5olid_5nake

I always really liked the models and especially hand textures (you can see it when aiming) of Old Snake in MGS 4.
Unfortunately I can't find a proper example.

Yes, which is why this and that GT texture are actually not the best of textures tbh.

Thx. Yeah, nice art - not particularly high texel density or materials though. Still looks good though.

Yeah, does the job, can't think of any obvious games that stand out with high-quality textures that I own though.

fred

Every single texture from Star Citizen. Going to have to wait until I get myself a new graphics card before I can play it higher than 5fps though lol

The leather jacket texture from the very first Max Payne game was pretty jaw dropping at the time too.

Top Bottom