• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best part of the Wii was its controller

RCU005

No one can deny that the Wii revolutionized the gaming industry. The most special part of it was the Wii Remote. It was the first console to have an unconventional controller, relying most of the time on motion controls. However, this is not what I think the Wii had the best controller. It was the inclusion of the nunchuck and the fact that they were two separate devices.

When playing traditional games like Super Mario Galaxy, it was a joy to play using the nunchchuk-wii remote configuration. Since it was a two-part controller, you could have your hands separated for the first time. This made it so confortable. You could lay down and have your right hand pointing at the TV, while your head resting on your left hand, etc. I actually think that the only downside was that the cord was too short. Having a longer cord, or a wireless connection would've been a bliss.

Microsoft and Sony rushed to copy Nintendo with motion controls. Sony got very close with the nunchuck-wii remote configuration, and it was also so great to play like that, but many games didn't use the Move controller. However, having both parts being wireless was amazing. You could play for hours without having pain or numbness in your hands since you could move them freely while still playing.

I really wish that the two-part, two-devices controllers would stay. Many people loved the Xbox One and now everyone seems to love the Dualsense, but I would love it if everyone made a two-part controller again. Nintendo has the Switch Joy-cons, but they are tiny and mostly uncomfortable, so while they are still separate, they are a huge step back when it comes to ergonomic and comfort from the Wii.

Sony have announced their controllers for VR and they look great, but it also made it clear that there's a lot of potential and room for improvement when it comes to designing controllers away from their classic design. In my opinion, they should pursue that road in future consoles not only for VR. Another thing that the industry should evolve is an actual pointer like the Wii controller had, but somehow without the need of the Sensor bar (maybe implement it in the TV hardware?).

Thoughts? Opinions?

RCU005

No.

The wiimote and nunchuck had the worse ergonomics f any controller ever.

Well, what about the PS Move + Navigation controller? After all, the focus here is the fact that you have two devices one in each hand, which is not conventional, but IMO, better.

jaysius

Banned
Well, what about the PS Move + Navigation controller? After all, the focus here is the fact that you have two devices one in each hand, which is not conventional, but IMO, better.
All trash that barely worked as advertised, just a dumb gimmick that took too long to die. That thing used the camera and was annoying to setup and use.

Last edited:

Closer

I really enjoyed what it brought to the table. Too bad the games I like to play, like fighters, were not that good with it, but for RPGs, racers or whatever you need to point at, it crused standard controller layout so bad. It felt almost as good as M/K at times.

Sejan

Honestly, I loved the split controller design. It was great being able to hold me hands in a more comfortable position. Motion control absolutely has a place in gaming. After all Sony has included it in every standard controller since the PS3. Things like motion assisted aiming are features that I would love to see available in more games. Immortals: Fenyx rising feels like it’s missing something without it as a feature (considering how much it copied from BotW).

Zannegan

So close to actually being great, but they over simplified to keep from scaring blue ocean gamers away, and made it a pain to use for most complicated games. Some form of joystick on the remote and a few buttons in actually reachable places would have done it wonders. They also jumped the gun by shipping without a gyro.

Alas, they were focused so hard on streamlining and having it work as a SNES controller on it's side that they took it too far. RIDICULOUSLY comfortable for games built for it, but agonizing for games that weren't.

nkarafo

I fully agree. Having each hand separate is so much more comfortable. Having both hands stuck on the same device is restrictive. If there was a way to split a controller in two parts, optionally, and having them connected wirelessly, i would be thrilled.

Isn't that doable on the Switch?

Last edited:

Banned
No.

The wiimote and nunchuck had the worse ergonomics f an controller ever.

and worse motion detection than the DualShock 3 funnily enough.

while the DS3 had both accelerometers and a gyroscope, the Wii Remote and Nunchuck only had accelerometers.
which is why they later had to augment the damn thing with the Motion Plus add-on which finally brought it in line with the capabilities of the DualShock 3

so not only were the ergonomics terrible it was also a bad motion controller

Last edited:

Zuzu

I agree, I really like having separate controllers in each hand. I really like the two Oculus Quest 2 controllers and I'd like to see traditional controllers evolve into something like those.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Wiimote was amazing. Lots of inspired design like being able to turn it sideways and it was a NES controller, the built-in speaker, A+B 'pinch/grab', the IR pointer, storing Mii's in the controller, etc.

Quest 2 is kind of like a modern day Wii experience.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Wii controller was an abomination. Playing it tilted on its side was less comfortable than the NES controller. It prompted devs to include forced waggle that made games worse.

If I was a billionaire, I’d buy up all of the wiimotes left in the world and then burn them in a massive bonfire that could be seen from space.

I hated the wiimote/nunchuck combo. I always put it down to my extreme left handedness leaving me no workable way of holding them: movement thumbstick under my right thumb? God no. Using my right hand to essentially aim a gun? 🤮

I'd say it's even worse than the N64 or the dual shock.

The best part of (the first models of) Wii is that it is BC with Gamecube so it's a cheap way to play gamecube games...now.

Last edited:

stranno

Move is not based on the Wiimote at all.. it was completely based on the Eyetoy. The motion tracking tech was shown before even Revolution was a thing.

And all the Wiimote applications were already described by Sega in the fishing rod patent, four years before the Wii, which already featured a three axis accelerometer.

Wii is a great console, but people overestimate the tech behind it.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Thoughts? Opinions?

I've been replaying some Wii games and I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it is with the silicon cover. It just fits perfectly in my hand and I can be relaxed with the nunchuk resting nicely on the other side of my body. I am a bit sad that we'll probably never see this configuration ever again.

One negative would be in Metroid Prime , where it's a bit of a pain to have to stretch all the way down to the 1 & 2 buttons.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It depends on the game. Games that replied on a more traditional controller setup but just a split design (like Galaxy) were incredible. Very comfortable to play the game that way.

Games that actively required a lot of motion controls (like Skyward Sword) ended up being a bit of a chore.

alienator

Wii has some of the best games ever like Sin & Punishment: star successor and tatsenuko vs capcom

games i played with a normal controller/fightstick on the wii.... these wiimotes are just too damn inacurate for fast split second gaming.

also op: if sony and microsoft "rushed" to copy nintendo motion controls... can u explain this techdemo on ps2 (2001) with motion controls?

I really wish the WiiU had been a Wii2 with an updated Wiimote/nunchuck design instead of a tablet controller, mostly for FPS games. Later Wii FPS games let you tweak the controls so much you can get the perfect sensitivity, turn speed, and accuracy. Something like Red Steel 2 controlled buttery smooth because of this.

I regularly revisit Metroid Prime Trilogy and when I do I always wish I could play more FPS game with IR aiming.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Highly dependent on the games, but when it worked it was awesome.

Problem was that a lot of games either were poorly made or only used motion controls as a way to replace something a button press could do just as good if not better. A prime example of that is Donkey Kong Country Returns. Waggle was used to the roll, and after a while, you got used to it, but there was literally no reason to not give the player an option to just press a button. The implementation in Donkey Kong Country Returns wasn't in favor of the Wii Mote and wasn't used to its strengths. If you don't have a good idea to use motion controls you really shouldn't force it.

On the other side, which is something a lot of people forget when they discredit the Wii because it's the popular thing to do so among the "hardcore"-crowd, are games like Pikmin or Metroid Prime, which play so much better with the Wii Mote that it makes the original versions obsolete. And just as there is a lot of shovelware there is also a lot of games that are quite amazing.

I agree that it is comfortable to have a control device in each hand because that way you don't have to be in an cramped position like with a regular controller.

The biggest flaw was that Nintendo wasn't able to have the technology of the Wii Motion Plus in there from the get-go. The original Wii Mote has its limitations.

My favorite feature was the IR-pointer. Lightgun-Shooters had somewhat of a renaissance thanks to the pointer. Point and Click games, strategy games like Dawn of Discovery, shooters like Sin & Punishment, etc. played wonderfully with the IR-Pointer.

I suggest watching those two videos because they speak the truth:

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish the WiiU had been a Wii2 with an updated Wiimote/nunchuck design instead of a tablet controller, mostly for FPS games. Later Wii FPS games let you tweak the controls so much you can get the perfect sensitivity, turn speed, and accuracy. Something like Red Steel 2 controlled buttery smooth because of this.

I regularly revisit Metroid Prime Trilogy and when I do I always wish I could play more FPS game with IR aiming.
Yeah, I agree. They could've released two versions: One with the updated Wiimote/Nunchuk combo and one with the regular pro controller. They could have motivated third-party devs to give players a choice by incorporating both motion controls and regular controls. They could've advocated for Wii users to switch to the Wii 2 with ease.
They could've released a Nintendo VR alongside the Wii 2 incorporating the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. They could've built a huge library of games using motion controls, VR, and regular input methods.

The only thing the Wii U is good for these days is using it as a Wii replacement and an emulation machine.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The best part of the Wii was the integration of everything - which as usual, is the blight and delight of anything unconventional Nintendo does.

I loved the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo. Even the Wiimote alone, it was so versatile. People complaining about strain, fatigue and accidents were doing it wrong - same thing as the people complaining about N64’s trident.

Truth be told, reaching the lower buttons of the Wiimote wasn’t that comfortable on occasion. And of course, that control scheme couldn’t fit to everything. But the split controller idea was great, and the pointer was amazing for a lot of genres where dual analog is simply inferior.

scydrex

I couldn't play the Wii more than 5 minutes with motion controls it sucks and hated it. The PS move i tried a bit but i can't really say. Still I'm not a fan of motion controls. I like my normal controller.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
did it really? we are all back using the good old joypads now.
VR is a thing and motion control technology is in modern controllers including joy-cons, switch pro controller, and regular PS4/5 controllers. So yeah.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I really liked using it as a pointer in Metroid Prime 3. Everything else was OK. 2 handed Twilight Princess was cool except for the waggle. Skyward Sword really pissed me off because it constantly failed to register the angles correctly. That is one reason I am looking forward to the HD version. I want to see if it still sucks with motion controls and if controller mode fixes the problems, or at least provides a way to bypass difficulties.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
VR is an extremely niche market (i do have a rift, they work great for that) and the other things you mention are.. not really used much.
VR is still a growing market that is IMO important for the future of gaming. The motion capabilities of the Joy Cons and Switch Pro Controller get decently usage. The PS4 and PS5's motion controls don't get much usage, but it is still there, which is good because it gets used on PC for Steam.

Mithos

Yes it was... (or the gif memes because of it were...)
women reason GIF

Last edited:

Esppiral

Of course the best part was the controller, it was hard to top the hardware as the most shitty part of the console, that doesn't mean that the controller was great.

stranno

also op: if sony and microsoft "rushed" to copy nintendo motion controls... can u explain this techdemo on ps2 (2001) with motion controls?
And some Eyetoy games already featured a very basic tracking of objects, like PomPom Party or Play Hero. Of course Move is way more advanced an accurate than both Wiimote and Eyetoy. The system can track the distance (glowing ball diameter) even if you cover 70% of the ball, according to the dev manual.

Move "nunchuck" was of course a copy, but the Move itself was pretty different than the Wiimote.

Last edited:

scydrex

VR is still a growing market that is IMO important for the future of gaming. The motion capabilities of the Joy Cons and Switch Pro Controller get decently usage. The PS4 and PS5's motion controls don't get much usage, but it is still there, which is good because it gets used on PC for Steam.

For VR it´s better with motion controllers but to play normal games? No. What he meant is playing normal games without VR we are back to old joypads or controllers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom