• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best part of the Wii was its controller

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
For VR it´s better with motion controllers but to play normal games? No. What he meant is playing normal games without VR we are back to old joypads or controllers.
Even for normal games, there are several people using Steam Input to allow for motion controls and it gets usage on Switch as well. It's anything but dead.

magnumpy

you're selling the name a bit short. a mean wii is also like "wee this is so fun!" and all the grandparents became gamers for a few years ._.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Dead? no but what is the % of those people? How many?
Enough that people make customized layouts via. Steam Input, enough that people demand them on Switch, enough that peripheries release to make you use Wii Motes on a PC, enough that it gets implemented in controller devices, phones, etc.

Objectively it is an improvement for every input that requires aiming.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't make positive Wii threads, people still salty it trashed their favorite console in hardware and software sales (so no it was't just Wii Sports/Fit and dust gathering) will just attack you and make up all kinds of bs about it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Thoughts? Opinions?

It's still amazing to play with seperated controllers. Also, on Switch, I miss IR pointer navigation/aiming. Gyro is ok, but I still think IR pointer controlls are better.

It's really a pitty the Joycon don't offer that, especially because one of them has the damn IR camera already built in. The only thing missing would be the sensor bar and games supporting it and then you had the best of both worlds.

It's kind of stupid, honestly.

I really wish the WiiU had been a Wii2 with an updated Wiimote/nunchuck design instead of a tablet controller, mostly for FPS games. Later Wii FPS games let you tweak the controls so much you can get the perfect sensitivity, turn speed, and accuracy. Something like Red Steel 2 controlled buttery smooth because of this.

I regularly revisit Metroid Prime Trilogy and when I do I always wish I could play more FPS game with IR aiming.

I'm with you on that. I remember back then when Sony started pushing the PSMove too with games like Killzone, Resistance, Socom & MAG getting support for it, and I went out and picked it up day one thinking what started on the Wii would keep going with pointer based FPS controls on console. Eventually realised that wasn't the case as we are all back to analoge again :messenger_grinning_sweat: Luckily I still got several Wii FPS games that I can play via the WiiU every now & again as a reminder of what could've been...

stranno

It's still amazing to play with seperated controllers. Also, on Switch, I miss IR pointer navigation/aiming. Gyro is ok, but I still think IR pointer controlls are better.

It's really a pitty the Joycon don't offer that, especially because one of them has the damn IR camera already built in. The only thing missing would be the sensor bar and games supporting it and then you had the best of both worlds.

It's kind of stupid, honestly.
The "sensor" bar are just a pair of LEDS. Problem is: Camera is pointing in the wrong direction xD

Right Joy-Con is just an improved Wiimote.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It was very good, many traditional players didn't like it but its phylosophy kept till these days. I actually like the joycons more, I just with they had proper sticks like the pro controller.

I loved being blown by the fact I could just do a Kame Hame Ha in DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 as in the anime. I never liked the tilt controllers for racing games tho.

It's a shame the amazing games for traditional players got opaqued by he casual storm, because it had actually a very decent library.

u can somehow use the wii mote as a light gun for pc games but my brain is too slow to figure it out

I've been wanting to play Time Crisis 5 on PC for a while now

I like the split controller setup a lot and still do with the Joycons. Being able to lay on the couch and play in the laziest positions imaginable without having to hold the controller directly in front of you is great.

I mean seriously only one of these is next level gaming:

qoTZBQQ.jpg

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks

will i be able to play the House of the Dead remake on PC via Yuzu with this when its released?
I don't know sadly. The dolphin bar can be used to connect Wii Motes to the PC. I use it for Wii emulation and for that job it works flawlessly. I haven't tried it with other games, but there should be a way to do it. Theoretically, the Wii Mote could ape the right Joy-Con with Yuzu, but I can't say for sure.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Best part of the Wii was the Virtual Console. Sadly it's long gone. Wii U VC is alright but not anywhere near the selection that the Wii had.

The Wii was hot garbage 99% of the time. The controller translates well to Wii Sports, that's about it. Don't give me stuff on Metroid Prime or shooters, Prime feels better with a controller because the game is meant to use lock on.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Don't give me stuff on Metroid Prime or shooters, Prime feels better with a controller because the game is meant to use lock on.
...which still can be used on Wii, with the addition of much muuuuch better aiming and movement.

I liked the console and the controller. It was different and perfectly playable. The "hardcore" will find a way to shit on both though.

- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (the last great Mario entries, nothing boring here)
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- No More Heroes 1 & 2
- Project Zero 2 & 4
- Resident Evil 4
- Resident Evil Umbrella & Darkside Chronicles
- Ghost Squad
- Muramasa
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom
- Wii Sports
- Sonic Colors
- Sin and Punishment
- The Last Story
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Zack & Wiki
- Madworld

and a whole host of others I'm probably forgetting. It was a different experience to what Sony and Microsoft marketed and it was good.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
- Ghost Squad
Still, one of the funniest light gun shooters ever released. Another really enjoyable one from the Sega camp is the Gunblade NY & L.A. Machineguns package that got released on Wii. And thanks to the IR-Pointer it plays like a champ!

cireza

The best part was when Nintendo moved to the next console, which actually had a great controller and features.

Meesh

The Wii remote and the Wii VC were the best parts.

The remote was a brilliant idea that just wasn't entirely actualized because of the initial lack of 1:1, and the hardware itself. Proof was in Microsoft and Sony following suit and validating Nintendos vision with their own versions. Again, Nintendo setting the innovative standard.

The VC was the other best part, and we simply haven't had the same since.

The hardware... sigh... could've been more robust, but hey, Nintendo made money hand over fist.

BlackTron

Well of course the controller was the best part of the system, it was originally an add-on for the Gamecube. They just decided to instead rebrand and overclock the Gamecube to start over.

What it did was novel but it left a LOT of squandered potential. In order to catch the casual crowd they did not need to burn their core customers so badly. While there were (are) legitimately great uses of the wiimote, most of the time it came down to be an unwanted gimmick.

-Twilight Princess got delayed and gutted just so waggle could emulate a button press. We didn't get sword swinging as advertised in the initial Nintendo Revolution reveal trailer until a massive FIVE YEARS later, in a Zelda game most people aren't crazy about, that required yet another add-on, which required constant recalibrating. Meh, Nintendo.

-The obvious lightsaber game never got made.

-Where the hell is Duck Hunt?

-I didn't think Smash could get better than Melee, so all I expected from Brawl was shinier graphics and an online mode. Wrong, I didn't like the messy art direction, the online never worked and was a joke, and the game mechanics were all changed to make the game more Mario Kart random chance than skill-based fighter. I still hate this game.

-Sonic game where you need to unlock less shitty motion controls by playing the game with them intentionally gimped first.

I could go on, but the point is, Wii gave me almost nothing that I actually expected out of it. It gave me some other things I didn't know about walking in, however. Kind of like N64 when I expected a Yoshi's Island 2, but ended up with a Goldeneye.

So anyone who dislikes the controller or totally dismisses the Wii, basically if you have never played Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, I can't respect your opinion. It's the definitive way to play RE4. It benefited from its last-gen design where you stop in one place when you lift the gun to aim -because your character can't move, you can use both the pointer and the stick to aim. Thus you don't have the "bounding box" clunkiness in other FPS type games. One could plausibly opine that a mouse/keyboard is better for an FPS game than a Wii Remote. However, the Wiimote+nunchuck is THE definitive way to play RE4. Everything else absolutely sucks in comparison. And it can only be done on Wii because they stupidly included an IR camera on Switch with no pointer option. The gyro won't cut it here, you need the Wii style solution.

When I played games like that, I wanted the industry to get moving so I could get that type of stuff but not running on a nonsense Gamecube. I was pretty sure we'd eventually get it, but we didn't.

So in short, the controller was a great idea, even if it needed an add-on to reach full potential. And while there are a few legitimately great uses of the Wiimote, most of the time it was just a headache that made more problems than solutions.

Crazy as this sounds, I think Wii's issues are more software related than hardware. The games that really used the thing to its strengths were too sparse.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I dislike Wii and it's waggle controls with passion.
should be noted though that those type of gesture controls are highly exaggerated. Most games can be played like this:
wiimotelol.png

BusierDonkey BusierDonkey

Even Wii Sports didn't necessarily require you to stand and wave like a mad man (although it made Wii Sports more fun).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I see the Wii as a new NES that didn't stick through as well. The NES/Famicom controller was just as groundbreaking.

To me the best aspect of the Wii was the software and the marketing. For the first time in years I could play with my family, and we'd have fun playing videogames together. It's a rare occasion in this hobby.

Fbh

I mean, the motion controls were nice in some games (and gimmicky in like 95% of the catalogue)

But I hated the controller itself. Both ones I owned had tons of issues (disconnects, out of sync, issues with the nunchuck connection, etc) and I fucking hate analog stick with the octagonal base instead of the round one.

Last edited:
No one can deny that the Wii revolutionized the gaming industry.
I don't think that's really true. The Wii was a momentary fad and its long-term impact on the gaming industry is basically imperceptible at this point.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that's really true. The Wii was a momentary fad and its long-term impact on the gaming industry is basically imperceptible at this point.
well, a revolution doesn't necessarily need to have a long-term impact... and speaking of, VR proves that there is still a market for gesture controls. motion controls are still alive and well, not as big as they used to be and not as big as they should, but far from imperceptible.

well, a revolution doesn't necessarily need to have a long-term impact... and speaking of, VR proves that there is still a market for gesture controls. motion controls are still alive and well, not as big as they used to be and not as big as they should, but far from imperceptible.
VR is a fad too, only unlike the Wii it's not a successful fad.

sure, if you enjoy holding a rectangle with zero ergonomics that will probably give you a strain wrist after faking aiming a gun by pointing a remote controller at a tv

it was a crappy controller for a very crappy console with barely any worthwhile games and even the worthwhile games had some idiotic need to shake the controller or involuntary shaking would trigger involuntary jumps in the game.

plus those button sizes were awful

I firmly believe the major barrier keeping games (High value production gaming, I mean) from massive adoption is the controller interface. Not the prices, not the availability of devices where you can game on, and it's not the content. The damn controllers are the barrier.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

Nintendo and their shitty ways of not translating games and bringing them to the west.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vandole

I'll tell you the most underrated feature of the Wii was the Balance Board. It's a real shame that most developers, Nintendo included, couldn't figure out how to utilize it outside of fitness games. Shifting your weight on it to dodge and using the motion sensors in the controllers to punch made it a much more immersive experience. It was far from perfect, but it really changed up the game.

Additionally, Marble Saga Korinpa and We Ski & Snowboard found ways to use it and make very special experiences that you literally to this day cannot emulate anywhere else. I really think with some more creativity they could have made a lot more arcade type experiences using it.

Oh well, it was a tough sell. Anyway yeah the controller was a pretty good part of the system too.

GuinGuin

Banned
The fact that you had to buy a separate add on to make it accurate was a real slap in the face but hey, Wii Bowling.

Wonko_C

VR is a fad too, only unlike the Wii it's not a successful fad.
LOL no. VR (and AR) is the next digital revolution akin to smartphones, computers or the internet. It's already changing the industrial/military/medical/education/enterprise sectors in ways unheard of, and with the current pandemic, this tech couldn't have come at a better time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom