• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best part of the Wii was its controller

No one can deny that the Wii revolutionized the gaming industry.
Sure I can.

The Wii was lightning in a bottle. It sold consoles to people who never would have gotten one. But these people rarely kept playing past Wii Sports.

Motion controls didn't become the default- not even for Nintendo. Gaming today much closer resembles the Xbox 360 and PS3 than it does the Wii.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But these people rarely kept playing past Wii Sports
The saying that the Wii only got used for Wii Sports and was a dust collector otherwise is a myth. The attach rate and software sales paint a completely different picture.

Sure I can.

The Wii was lightning in a bottle. It sold consoles to people who never would have gotten one. But these people rarely kept playing past Wii Sports.

Motion controls didn't become the default- not even for Nintendo. Gaming today much closer resembles the Xbox 360 and PS3 than it does the Wii.
Yup. I'd say the 360 probably has the best claim to be a revolutionary console of the three - it pioneered online functionality that we take for granted today.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. I'd say the 360 probably has the best claim to be a revolutionary console of the three -
that's evolution, not revolution. the Wii literally changed the game for a while and its steps still live on (VR).
the 360 was a consequent evolution of the original Xbox Live, which was an evolution of Dreamcast's online functionality and so on.
360 did it best back then, but it wasn't revolutionary.

Cutty Flam

Banned
read: "I have real bad aim skills"
I didn’t even care to have good aim skills. I didn’t play a single shooter on the Wii because aiming with the Wii mote didn’t interest me at all. I genuinely didn’t enjoy the fact that there was motion controls. I prefer the oldschool controller experience. It was a neat little gimmick for a little while. I’ll give motion control its due and say that it was fun to try out and experience with others. But to this day, I don’t know of a single person who thinks highly of the motion controls. In Mario Party 8, they were kind of fun. In Rayman Raving Rabbids it was very fun. Super Mario Party has some fun motion control minigames. It was a joy to collect those comets or little star bits with the Wii controller in Super Mario Galaxy

i stopped gaming because of the Wii’s direction. The games all seemed to take a step back because they all required you use motion controls. And that just wasn’t for me. Quality seemed to take a hit because all games must subscribe to the motion controls gimmick

I had more VC games than Wii games I think

The Wii Mote (sideways) was how I played Super Mario Bros. 3 now that I think of it, maybe that’s why I was never able to beat it lmao

Overall, Nintendo did a lot of neat things with the Wii, but personally, and even now - I’m 100% more directed towards wanting to play what is on the VC of the Wii. I have zero desire to play a single Wii game

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I can't comment on the 360 revolutionizing online, as I still don't do it (finally got a choice other than satellite internet last November with T-mobile, sadly when my grandmother, whom I was caring for with my mother, passed away).

But what I CAN say is that my Wii (and the 2nd I bought used when the fan died on the 1st after 8 years of use) and the WiiU's backwards compatibility got a TON of use, one of my 4 most played consoles to date, with NES, PS1 and PS2 and their gigantic collections (PS3 turned out okay, but nowhere near the 1st two, and don't bother with the PS4, got 10 games for it but have barely but 10 hours total into the console itself since I got it Xmas 2019).

Do I think Nintendo could have done better with it? Yes, but considering the successes with it they had, they still accomplished a LOT with that console after their stumbles with the N64 and Gamecube. I had enormous amounts of fun (and awesome gametime) on that console, and as a local multiplayer console, no other gaming console comes close, not even switch. To date despite Twilight Princess being my favorite Zelda, I won't play any version but the Wii because of the controls, and Metroid Prime Trilogy with the Wiimote is absolute bliss, and despite the few disagreeable changes they made in MP3, many things in the game work so damned well I can only call it "buttery smoothness" because it flows so seamlessly. I'll have to do a count, but I think I have about 50 Wii games (not including digital purchases), 5th most in my game collection behind PC, NES, PS1 and PS2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom