• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best PS4 games according to me

protonion

So, this gen is almost over and I decided to check (and share with you) my collection. I am not a hoarder. Games I do not enjoy get traded immedietly (or deleted if digital).
Hundrends of games have gone through my ps4, but the games below are my keepers.

The usual suspects. (sorry for the bad pic)

sdC85bC.jpg

I95NkdD.jpg

-Darksiders 2-3. The first would also be here but the ps4 port was terrible. Crashed all the time.

-The Last of Us 2. Despite the issues I have with the story, this is AAA gaming at it's finest.

-FF7 remake. I grew up with the original and worried they would ruin it. Nope, totally delivered!

-RE2-3-4-7. This gen was the wet dream of every RE fan.

-Ghost of Tsushima. The perfect ending to this gen.

-Uncharted 1-4. I love them all.

-Sekiro. Second only to Bloodborne. 3 playthroughs already and I cannot wait for the next.

-Persona Royal. Though it didn't dethrone P4 Golden, this was an incredible experience. The Royal expansion is essential, I loved what they did with the last semester.

-Spiderman. One of the best super hero games of all time. The open world stuff was nothing to talk about but the traversal is what made this game. Even after two playthroughs it never got old.

-The Last of Us. Masterpiece.

-Bloodborne Goty. Best From game ever. Unparreled level design and bestiary. An unrepeatable feat. DLC is a must.

-The Order. Yes, I liked it! Solid mechanics and incredible graphics. Loved the characters also.

-Detroit. It did the branching story telling amazingly well.

-The Evil Within 2. Most underrated game ever. An overall great experience.

-Shadow of the Tomb Raider. My favorite of the trilogy. Action took a back seat to the exploration and puzzles. Tons of dlc tombs.

-AC Odyssey. Easily my favorite AC game.

-Horizon. Best sci fi story in gaming. Awesome combat.

-Alien Isolation. Exploring the ship was one of the most intense experiences this gen.

-Nier Automata. Mechanically perfect and amazing story telling.

-God of War. HOLY SHIT for 30 hours.

Platformers

kJvx7uz.jpg

-Sonic Mania. Best Sonic ever.

-Celeste. Absolute perfection. Insane challenge if you dig deeper on the extra levels.

-Crash Trilogy. Love them since childhood.

The Yakuzas

QyWYUcz.jpg

-Yakuza 0-7. Remember when we wondered if we will ever play all the games in the west? Me neither. One of the best series in gaming.
0 and 6 are the best. 3 is a bit weak. The content of 5 is pure insanity.

The visual novels

B9xGsoo.jpg

-The House In Fata Morgana. I played this only because of the praise. One of the best stories ever told and an oscar worthy soundtrack. Play this game people!

-428. You cannot put the controller down. A very gripping story with a unique presentation for visual novels. Tons of post game stuff also.

-Raging Loop. A straight forward visual novel with a great protagonist dragged in a killing game. It has an amazing unlockable when you finish it.

-Zero games trilogy. One mind fuck after another.

-Ace Attorney trilogy. I have them for my DS but I cannot resist physical. 50 hours of awesome characters and cases.

-Danganronpa trilogy. Ace Attorney's darkest brother. It excels at everything. Plot, characters, soundtrack. And the quality is consistent for all 3 games.

-Death Mark. A short and sweet game. My favorite part was the secondary optional puzzles to defeat every demon. Do not bother with the sequel.

-Steins Gate. A legendary game. Could be edited a bit but the story it tells is amazing.

-Yuno. The grandfather of visual novels with branching paths. A monster of game but it is worth it. NSFW content also.

Puzzle

DhLAHHu.jpg

-The Talos Principle. Is easily beat The Witness as my favorite puzzle game this gen. The writing is also amazing. Day one for their next project.

-Catherine. Great puzzle game with a unique adult theme.

Adventures

RRS65Fi.jpg

-Until Dawn. A fantasic experience all the way through.

-Life is Strange. Few games have ever absorbed me like this.

-Tales from the Borderlands. Best Telltale game ever.

Metroidvanias

mU1PQmI.jpg

-Monster Boy. One of the most polished and well designed of this gen. My favorite of the bunch.

-Steamworld Dig 2. A huge improvement over the original.

-La Mulana 1-2. I just couldn't resist this box. I ended up using help for the first as the puzzles are brutal. I've just started the second and it looks to be even better.

-Guacamelee 1-2. Fantastic games with great humor. The second is better. More polished and tight.

-Hollow Knight. Nothing but respect for the devs. The scope of the game is insane.

-Axiom Verge. A deep 8 bit metroid game with an excellent soundtrack.

Other.

LQwaalQ.jpg

-Okami HD. A great remaster of the best PS2 Zelda game.

-Cosmic Star Heroine. You have played all the 16 bit rpgs and want more? Here it is! It has a place next to the classics imo.

And the digital games. I could have a physical edition for some of those :(

-Batman Arkham Knight. Second best super hero game after Spiderman. But just barely.

-Castlevania Requiem. The king of metroidvanias.

-Full Throttle

-Grim Fandango

-Day of the Tentacle. It is kind of surreal playing these on a console, but here we are! Classics.

-Fez. Brilliant.

-FF8-9. Great remasters with qol improvements.

-Iconoclasts. A well made metroidvania with a great story.

-Inside. The most polished game ever. Everything is tuned to perfection.

-King's Quest. Though chapters 2-5 didn't reach the greatness of the first one, it is a fantastic game full of heart.

-Rocket League. Best multiplayer game ever. My psplus subscription might be a Rocket League subscription at this point.

-Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. The best in the series by far. The others are one and done. This is a keeper.

-The Messenger. Excellent metroidvania with great/funny writing and soundtrack.

-The Witness. Blow delivers once more.

-Undertale. The Eartbound sequel we deserved.

-Obduction. Didn't have high hopes for this but I ended up liking more than the Myst series. Amazing world building and puzzles.

-Thronebreaker. Best campaign card game? Yes, by far.

-Shovel Knight. What a project that was! Delivering quality content for years.

-Cuphead. Half way done. Brutal and beautiful.

And that is all!

I have ordered just two more games ( Cross Code and Kentucky Zero Route, I hope they are good to stay in my collection) and I am done with this gen.
I have traded games that will be rereleased for PS5 (GTA5 etc) and the rest of the big games (Cyperpunk, Crash 4) will be also bought on PS5.

So that was my final PS4 collection. Kudos to Sony and all the developers for these great 7 years.

Game of the generation: Rocket League

Runner ups: God of War and Bloodborne

Would love to hear your keepers also.

Nico_D

Good amount of great games there. I think Darksiders should get more recognition, they are great games - and I didn't have any trouble with the first one, no crashes.

Also 428 was really fun. One of the best VNs after Ace Attorney.

Tschumi

I like your chutzpah to take on the opinions of equally passionate fans. I agree with those of your games which I know much about :)

Yeah, pretty much

Been wanting to buy eps 2-5 for kings quest becsuse i really enjoyed eps 1. Sad to hear they all faltered

Dont know anything about VNs but your list almost became disregarded trash once i read Arkham Dark Knight. Luckily i woke up in a forgiving openminded mood

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Great collection!

These are my favorites on a year by year basis:
  • Battlefield 4
  • Resogun
  • Broforce
  • Destiny
  • DriveClub
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
  • Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
  • P.T.
  • This War of Mine
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Bloodborne
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Helldivers
  • Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
  • Life Is Strange
  • Magicka 2
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Not A Hero
  • Nuclear Throne
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • The Order 1886
  • Until Dawn
  • Alienation
  • Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  • Mother Russia Bleeds
  • Overcooked
  • Street Fighter V
  • Tricky Towers
  • The Last Guardian
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hidden Agenda
  • Matterfall
  • Nex Machina
  • Persona 5
  • Resident Evil 7
  • A Way Out
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Marvel's Spider-Man
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Tetris Effect
  • Days Gone
  • Death Stranding
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Resident Evil 3
  • The Last Of Us: Part II
2015 was insane.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great PS4 collection. I feel like it is another PS2, another massive library with a ton of choices. I only own a handful of the games you listed in your OP, but it's clear you have distinct tastes and pursue those genres.

protonion

Hmm, no deadcell ?
And i may be the only one on this board thinking that GOW3 >>> GOW 2018. Hades + poseidon combo = win.

I found Dead Cells very boring. If I was to include one game of the genre it would be either Rogue Legacy or Slay the Spire.

Wheres witcher 3?

I couldn't stomach the gameplay. I gave the game two chances because I liked the world and writing but I stopped both times after 5 hours... 🤷‍♂️

sublimit

Banned
I couldn't stomach the gameplay. I gave the game two chances because I liked the world and writing but I stopped both times after 5 hours... 🤷‍♂️
Witcher 3's combat was nothing to write home about but you're doing yourself a major diservice if you let that stop you from enjoying one of the best games of the generation.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Bro.... You paying per pic? Why is the second one so blurry?

Kudos on the effort to get physical copies, my lazy ass only wants digital so I don't have to keep tabs on the discs or get off the couch to change games.

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
I found Dead Cells very boring. If I was to include one game of the genre it would be either Rogue Legacy or Slay the Spire.

What did you think of MGSV, Death Stranding, infamous SS/FL, Days Gone, The Last Guardian and Ratchet and Clank, if you played them all?

protonion

What did you think of MGSV, Death Stranding, infamous SS/FL, Days Gone, The Last Guardian and Ratchet and Clank, if you played them all?

Mgsv:The mechanics of this game are god-tier but... I hate it. And mgs1-3 are some of my favourite games of all time. The story was an insult to the fans.

DS: The first hours were promising but frustration kicked in after.

LG: It was ok. Finished and forgot about it.

Infamous: Same as LG. Ps3 games were better imo.

Days gone: I give it a 7 but there is a lot of potential. It was a bit undercooked. The sequel could be incredible.

Ratchet: I love the series. It is just that one game (a crack in time) destroys the rest.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

teezzy

Banned
PS4 really did have some bangers overall.

I'm super excited to see these trickling onto PC. Lots of PS exclusives I never got around to. GIVE ME LAST GUARDIAN ON STEAM, YOU CUNTS!!!

I hope that remains the case. Lots of third party stuff I see in your OP is already on PC as well.

It's been one hell of a generation, no matter what your platform of choice was.

Veysetia

Great list! Those are some truly phenomenal titles. Seeing all the physical copies makes me want to take the same approach next gen.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Such passion was very convincing.

XB6Z74Q.jpg

I might have grabbed one of the last remastered copies on the planet too. I read it is quite rare now.

Thank you for Buy these marvelous games... You inspire me a lot... that even right now i buy the game for 5 time xDDD.

Now is the value edition XP

Last edited:

Skifi28

YES yes and yes!

Gravity Rush is a great piece of cultural heritage of gaming industry.

Gravity Rush 2 is a lot better.

I tried the demo, not sure which of the two. It was fucking weird and the combat felt pretty monotonus. I've been seeing you preach about these games for a while now, not sure what's so special.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I tried the demo, not sure which of the two. It was fucking weird and the combat felt pretty monotonus. I've been seeing you preach about these games for a while now, not sure what's so special.
To me it's a platforming dream come true. Any face of almost any object can be the "floor", and you can fly around the map at will.

It's Super Mario Galaxy but you also get to control the gravity.

Combat is simple, but it's simple in a Jak & Daxter or Sly Cooper sort of way (or the aforementioned SMG). That's the vibe I get from both of these games, at least. Story portions are very short. This isn't a JRPG or a traditional open-world game. The characterization is more like an anime, lighthearted with occasional moments of seriousness. Maybe that turns people off, but I've always enjoyed playing through both games and zipping around the world. Traversal is fun. Does it need more than that? Personally, it doesn't.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

If you're talking about the PS4, it was Gravity rush 2. They are games of excellent quality, easy Gravity rush 2 can fight in a friendly way with Zelda Breath of the wild in terms of quality.

Gravity rush I consider it as a historically important game in the video game industry like Okami or Mario Galaxy.

The combat is like this because Kat is a rookie hero, Raven has better control.

In addition, Gravity rush 2 has given many contributions to the video game industry, with its secondary missions full of morals and do not let yourself be influenced by the espionage missions, the criticism of the analysts is mediocre, I as a gamer I highly recommend it.

Easy ... Gravity rush 2 is Better than Bloodborne and The last of us I and II

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Camreezie

If you're talking about the PS4, it was Gravity rush 2. They are games of excellent quality, easy Gravity rush 2 can fight in a friendly way with Zelda Breath of the wild in terms of quality.

Gravity rush I consider it as a historically important game in the video game industry like Okami or Mario Galaxy.

The combat is like this because Kat is a rookie hero, Raven has better control.

In addition, Gravity rush 2 has given many contributions to the video game industry, with its secondary missions full of morals and do not let yourself be influenced by the espionage missions, the criticism of the analysts is mediocre, I as a gamer I highly recommend it.

Easy ... Gravity rush 2 is Better than Bloodborne and The last of us I and II

I did enjoy both games and would be totally down for a third in the series but some of that's a bit of a stretch imo a lot of what it did had been done before.

carlosrox

Banned
I see no sports games in that collection, therefore it is good.

For me the PS4 gen was kinda disappointing. I thought last gen was so much better.

Alien Isolation, the Resident Evil games, and TLOU2 are pretty much my only truly standout games from this gen outside of Nintendo stuff.

There have been other good games but those are my standouts.

protonion

Since your'e into Japanese visual novels.

You might not have noticed this game, and I have mixed feelings about it, but storywise/atmosphere is one of the most amazing experiences that I had this generation, even though laughably I only watched it on Youtube, and only watched a single story arc.

WORLDEND SYNDROME

It might be a bit cringy for some people as you have to choose one of the girls to be your girlfriend in the end, but not sure if it classifies as a girlfriend simulator. That did put me off at first, but because it's a murder mystery, and I'm really a huge fan of mysteries, it's the reason why I gave it a chance. I actually ended up enjoying the whole picking a girl, as the romance was a nice touch to the story.

The atmosphere of this seaside Japanese town really impressed me. I would love a 3D game of exploring such a place.

Kinda of waiting for the game to go to around $10 on the store, before I pick it up, but it really holds it price. Not sure I want to play through it again picking a different girl, as I was quite smitten by the one I did choose.

Anyway the ending was so emotional (which I usually don't care for), but even made an old stoic like me, almost come to tears.

This is the only Japanese visual novel I have ever went through. Might have to check out others.

All Japanese voice acting with subtitles.

Ok, I have embarrassed myself enough.

Thanks just ordered the physical edition!
Never heard of it but a quick search shows it is good. Even if not, the price will go up show no loss!

Check my recommendations, I think you will love most of them

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The best hidden gem on PS4 for me is Rime.

Wonderful little game, and a masterclass in visual storytelling.

Top Bottom