• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Videogame Player In The World

Grimmrobe

Full game list:

Physical Challenges
1. 2D Shooting (Mushihime-sama)
2. 2D Fighting (Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st])
3. 3D Fighting (For Honor)
4. First-person Shooting (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege)
5. Racing (Dirt Rally)
6. Sports (Steep)

Mental Challenges
1. Real-time Tactics (Planetary Annihilation: Titans)
2. Real-time Strategy (Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion)
3. Turn-based Strategy (Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword)
4. City-building (Factorio)
5. Simulation (IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad)
6. Survival (Rust)

There may be last-minute changes though. This is the old list released several months ago. I have most of these games, but still missing a couple, so I am looking for deals on them currently.

Last edited:

Grimmrobe

Of course I don’t have a shot a winning lol.

Me neither buddy, but I am in it for the fun.

Btw, this is where the name of the tournament comes from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

Traditionally, the title of "World's Greatest Athlete" has been given to the person who wins the decathlon, thus the world's greatest athlete of all times is the recordman of decathlon (Kevin Mayer as of September 2018). This began when King Gustav V of Sweden told Jim Thorpe, "You, sir, are the world's greatest athlete" after Thorpe won the decathlon at the Stockholm Olympics in 1912.

Last edited:

Fbh

Not sure if these noobs are ready to take on someone who after only 500 hours of rocket league can consistently reach silver 3, once did a Pentakill in a non ranked LOL match, only died like 10 times against the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 AND reached stage 4 of Hard Corps Uprising before giving up.

So I'll pass

Grimmrobe

Not sure if these noobs are ready to take on someone who after only 500 hours of rocket league can consistently reach silver 3, once did a Pentakill in a non ranked LOL match, only died like 10 times against the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3 AND reached stage 4 of Hard Corps Uprising before giving up.

So I'll pass

Don't see a tactics or strategy game in that very short list buddy... What does Rocket League performance have to do with Factorio or Civilization? And Souls games are not tough at all, they are for grinders.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What on earth are Steep and For Honor doing on that list? They honestly couldn't have thought of two better demonstrations of video game ability?

Alex Kierkegaard

Oh, never mind.

Fbh

Don't see a tactics or strategy game in that very short list buddy... What does Rocket League performance have to do with Factorio or Civilization? And Souls games are not tough at all, they are for grinders.

Oh I beat Star Craft 2... On Normal and finished Battle for Middle Earth 2 back in the day despite my PC at the time running the big battles at like 15fps.
I also played Total War Warhammer 2 for like....3 hours before getting bored

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Full game list:

Physical Challenges
1. 2D Shooting (Mushihime-sama)
2. 2D Fighting (Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st])
3. 3D Fighting (For Honor)
4. First-person Shooting (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege)
5. Racing (Dirt Rally)
6. Sports (Steep)

Mental Challenges
1. Real-time Tactics (Planetary Annihilation: Titans)
2. Real-time Strategy (Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion)
3. Turn-based Strategy (Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword)
4. City-building (Factorio)
5. Simulation (IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad)
6. Survival (Rust)

There may be last-minute changes though. This is the old list released several months ago. I have most of these games, but still missing a couple, so I am looking for deals on them currently.
That list is heavily skewed and reads like an Ubisoft advertisement: IL-2, Steep, R6 Siege, and For Honor all took slots in genres that have better games. Did culture.vg's great philosophers grow up during the PS3/360 era or something? There are far more ubiquitous titles they could be using to demonstrate skill.

Mushihimesama and Under Night? Great games, but mostly unheard of to the majority of gamers. It seems as though they are trying to be obscure for the sake of obscurity (sans the Ubisoft fetish).

Grimmrobe

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ubi is too well known, Cave and French Bread are too little known.

There's no pleasing some people.

See also this: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/arrogant-people-in-the-video-game-industry.1467331/#post-253535724
It's not that Ubi is too well know. It's that they aren't a good representative of skill-based games. I thought I made that pretty clear.

And through that same paradigm, Mushi and Under Night aren't a good representative of their genres because they are too obscure, drastically narrowing the number of players who will be able to engage competently.

I didn't say "Cave" or "French Bread", though FB is a poor choice. If the goal is to find a skill-based fighter, Melty Blood is the better option. If the goal was to find a skill-based fighter that has a decently-sized fanbase, it wouldn't be a FB game at all. Cave has several other shmups that would be better picks instead of Mushi such as DDP or DOJ.

Grimmrobe

It's not that Ubi is too well know. It's that they aren't a good representative of skill-based games. I thought I made that pretty clear.

And through that same paradigm, Mushi and Under Night aren't a good representative of their genres because they are too obscure, drastically narrowing the number of players who will be able to engage competently.

I didn't say "Cave" or "French Bread", though FB is a poor choice. If the goal is to find a skill-based fighter, Melty Blood is the better option. If the goal was to find a skill-based fighter that has a decently-sized fanbase, it wouldn't be a FB game at all. Cave has several other shmups that would be better picks instead of Mushi such as DDP or DOJ.

All the games on the comp have to be playable on Steam, and in the case of FTGs, with little lag across time zones. Under Night is not only a great game, but has some of the best netcode on Steam. Steep is one of the few good sports games available on Steam, etc. etc.

I've been reading the organizer's explanations of his choices. His reasoning is solid and his tournament kicks ass.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
All the games on the comp have to be playable on Steam, and in the case of FTGs, with little lag across time zones. Under Night is not only a great game, but has some of the best netcode on Steam. Steep is one of the few good sports games available on Steam, etc. etc.

I've been reading the organizer's explanations of his choices. His reasoning is solid and his tournament kicks ass.
I can understand that rationale. I figured they all had to be on Steam. I still consider them bad choices for the reasons I listed above, but it's not my tourney.

Grimmrobe

I can understand that rationale. I figured they all had to be on Steam. I still consider them bad choices for the reasons I listed above, but it's not my tourney.

The tournament will be held yearly, with new games every year. I am sure that in ten years they will have featured all Cave games, tons of FTGs, lots of alternatives to Siege, etc. (though they may have to go off Steam for some of the choices, eventually).

It is shortsighted to trash the first attempt at a videogame decathlon because their choices do not 100% match yours instead of being supportive of them for doing something new and innovative, as you did here:

A bunch of slightly-above-average play across several games instead of top-tier play in one game. Nah, no thanks.

Go tell the decathletes that their sport is boring too, and that they are not the greatest athletes in the world, as Wikipedia says.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The tournament will be held yearly, with new games every year. I am sure that in ten years they will have featured all Cave games, tons of FTGs, lots of alternatives to Siege, etc. (though they may have to go off Steam for some of the choices, eventually).

It is shortsighted to trash the first attempt at a videogame decathlon because their choices do not 100% match yours instead of being supportive of them for doing something new and innovative, as you did here:

Go tell the decathletes that their sport is boring too, and that they are not the greatest athletes in the world, as Wikipedia says.
Deca means '10', so they've failed at that too. :pie_smirking:

The tournament will carry on fine whether I piss on their poor selection or praise it. Don't open threads about 'the best videogame player in the world' and then get defensive when people poke at the holes.

Grimmrobe

Casting casual insults at another user isn't cool. Don't do this.
Don't open threads about 'the best videogame player in the world' and then get defensive when people poke at the holes.

Don't get defensive when your "holes" are shown to be only in your head. If you don't want to receive replies to your posts, you are welcome to not post.

And they didn't say it's a decathlon. I merely explained to you what that is, because in your first post you don't seem to be aware of it.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Don't get defensive when your "holes" are shown to be only in your head. If you don't want to receive replies to your posts, you are welcome to not post.

And they didn't say it's a decathlon. I merely explained to you what that is, because in your first post you don't seem to be aware of it.
Your name-calling sucks. At least make it entertaining.

I stand by my criticism. The organizers of the event should pick better games if the goal is to determine the best videogame player in the world. Ubisoft games aren't great picks. The shmup and fighting game they chose are not great picks, either.

Have fun competing in a stunted philosopher's circle-jerk of a competition!
(see? Empty insults should at least have some bite to them)

Grimmrobe

Have fun competing in a stunted philosopher's circle-jerk of a competition!
(see? Empty insults should at least have some bite to them)

I will definitely have more fun taking part in a videogame contest than someone whose only fun seems to be to refresh NeoGAF 500 times a day and jeer at people taking part in a well-meant brand-new type of videogame contest, cheers.

petran79

Banned
They should also add difficult point and click adventure games and wait 2-3 months for them to complete those without hints

Last edited:
Top Bottom