• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best way to play old Neo Geo and SNK games.

Menitta

With KOF XIV coming out and SNK actually making games again, I want to play a bunch of SNK games. What's the best way to play SNK games. I really want to play old Metal Slug and Fatal Fury games.

Is it just Fightcade?

Beckx

They play really wonderful in Final Burn Alpha. I use the FBA/SVN core on Retroarch to be able to use all the Retroarch filters, save states, etc.

I've never been satisfied with any of the emulation options (Neo Geo X, Humble Bundle, ROMs, etc) so I've opted for a consolized MVS and a 161 in 1 multicart. Gonna pick up some stray carts like RB Special and RB2 that the cart misses.

Nuu

Banned
Fightcade is the place to go for online play so yes. The emulation isn't perfect as there are a lot of sound bugs, but the netcode is good and the gameplay is there.

nkarafo

Final Burn/MAME in RetroArch.

You can use CRT filters, you can also overclock the Neo-Geo emulated CPU, to eliminate any slowdowns in Metal Slug games. You can also use the bios service/test/option menu to enable blood and other options.

Varth

I've never been satisfied with any of the emulation options (Neo Geo X, Humble Bundle, ROMs, etc) so I've opted for a consolized MVS and a 161 in 1 multicart. Gonna pick up some stray carts like RB Special and RB2 that the cart misses.

Interesting. Any link?

Menitta

The *best* way is in an arcade machine...

Well, whatever I use, I'll hook up my arcade stick.

Final Burn/MAME in RetroArch.

You can use CRT filters, you can also overclock the Neo-Geo emulated CPU, to eliminate any slowdowns in Neo-Geo games. You can also use the bios service/test/option menu to enable blood and other options.

I tried using MAME and I got it working once, but when I got my new PC, I couldn't get it running again.

If accuracy isn't important I love NeoRAGEX with a fullset for simplicities sake.

Try the Wii VC too - it has most of the games you want to play all nice and ready to go. No free play though so it's old school yo.

entremet

I mean, what's your budget?

A low budget but very accurate option is the original Wii Virtual Console. Games are relatively inexpensive (compared to legit MVS/AES carts for sure) and have true 240p support, unlike the various compilation discs.

The downsides is that it doesn't have the full NeoGeo catalog and it can get pricey buying the games individually.

The compilation discs are good if you're not as nitpick about original resolution.

Then there are the gray market multi game MVS carts. But you need an MVS arcade or consolelized MVS. Not cheap.

The PS3/PSP has some excellent versions of key NeoGeo games on PSN but they're not comprehensive either.

Stay away from the NeoGeo X--the handheld system that was released a few years ago. The emulation quality is poor.

Menitta

If accuracy isn't important I love NeoRAGEX with a fullset for simplicities sake.

Try the Wii VC too - it has most of the games you want to play all nice and ready to go. No free play though so it's old school yo.

I did not know SNK games were on Wii VC.

A low budget but very accurate option is the original Wii Virtual Console. Games are relatively inexpensive (compared to legit MVS/AES carts for sure) and have true 240p support, unlike the various compilation discs.

The downsides is that it doesn't have the full NeoGeo catalog and it can get pricey buying the games individually.

The compilation discs are good if you're not as nitpicky.

Then there are the gray market multicast MVS carts. But you need an MVS arcade or consolelized MVS. Not cheap.

The PS3/PSP has some excellent versions of key NeoGeo games but they're not comprehensive either.

Stay away from the NeoGeo X--the handheld system that was released a few years ago. The emulation quality is poor.

I'm not going to buy a Neo Geo for this. As long as they run well, I'll be happy. I'm not super nitpicky.

Beckx

The compilation discs are good if you're not as nitpicky.

Then there are the gray market multicast MVS carts. But you need an MVS arcade or consolelized MVS. Not cheap.

The PS3/PSP has some excellent versions of key NeoGeo games but they're not comprehensive either.

the best value (by best meaning completely nutso cheap) was getting that Humble Bundle to have legal ROMs for a whole bunch of SNK classics. for me it was pretty much the best Humble Bundle of all time. ever.

BiggNife

I know people gush over Fightcade, but I'm super happy with Retroarch using the Final Burn Alpha core so I've never tried.

Menitta

I know people gush over Fightcade, but I'm super happy with Retroarch using the Final Burn Alpha core so I've never tried.

The idea of arcade netplay is awesome, but I never see people on games like Real Bout FF Special. It's always 3rd Strike and Garou. Not to bash on those games, they're great, but I want to play other games too. I have fightcade on my PC, but that's for netplay. If it's not the best way to play them, I'll just go a different route w/o netplay.

Edit: Oh God, I just realized I'm wearing a Fatal Fury hat.

The recent Humble Bundle was awesome, and it included support for Linux as well which is great. I have tested a few games and they seem to work well, but I aint very picky.

When playing the Humble Bundle ROMs outside of the garbage emulator they came packaged in, is there support to remap the buttons?

Playing those games with an arcade stick was upsetting when I'm locked to that box of four default layout.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Wii VC is very high grade emulation, much better than the Humble Bundle ROMs and even the oldgen compilations.

Het_Nkik

I just own these:

DJgpHcZ.jpg
JarcEJW.jpg
Um55V8V.jpg

HynSIzr.jpg
u8WSfQy.jpg
Q8OZAoq.jpg

kk4jNAj.jpg
TWwYx2z.jpg
r2MPolP.jpg

Theonik

Neo Geo MVS 4 Cart cabinet. Depending on where you're at and your luck you can get decent deals on those things with some tlc to restore them. That process is part of the fun.

Supergun MVS is another option. The games might be a bit expensive depending on release.

Finally, the Neo Geo station releases on PS3 were decent but they didn't release much of them.

Top Bottom