• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The big ole Game 3.0 discussion thread

arcader

Banned
Game 3.0

Game 3.0, a phrase coined by Sony Computer Entertainment, refers to a perceived 3rd generation of console based video game experiences or design ethics.

While SONY coined the phrase, it is a console manufacture agnostic set-of design/services ethics associated with a global and seamless set of multimedia based blogging, publishing, editing, building and sharing tools allowing the users of the console platform to build a gigantic online world inspired by their own incrimental selections over time.

History:

Game 1.0 – 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 bit console experiences. The 4 and 8 bit generations brought us 2d games with advancing sprite/image and complexity. The 16 bit generation further advanced the quality of sprites and featured games taking advantage of great console based audio capabilities. The 16 bit generation is known as having the first BGM in game music selections that rocked with FM synthesized guitar being overused in many eastern developed titles. 2-D sprite based RPG’s were introduced in the Game 1.0 era, and at the time were viewed as the most complex titles available for a home console.

Game 2.0 – In the Game 2.0 era, 3D game visuals emerged and finally overtook 2D gaming as the standard (during game 1.0 era 3d games were pretty ugly and not nearly as common as 2d sprite based releases). Game 2.0 also brought online console experiences to the masses with the SEGA Dreamcasts onboard modem, and the Microsoft XBOX’s evolving online service “XBOX Live!” Even the Playstation 2 and Nintendo GameCube featured online play to a lesser extent.

Characteristics of Game 3.0:

The game 3.0 era asks the question – When console designers can provide hardware powerful enough to synthesize what looks like reality on a display, how will videogames evolve from the arcade induced instant gratification model?

Since the inception of video games, players pressed on to see the next colorful level, the great looking hidden character, or the new special effects on the final stages – when all games can look and immerse the player like reality itself, where will the gratification come from? Why will we play?

Game 3.0 answers the calling with the same types of rewards that keep us looking forward and pressing on in everyday life – the opportunity to leave our mark, share our own personalized style, invite people to see our new house, or show the world our prized and valuable collections, pictures, memories and stories both from video game and real life experiences.

Since Game 3.0 breaks the Game 2.0 visual barriers, evolution must move in a different direction. Over time technology will always increase the quality of visuals in games but no longer will a consoles focus be on better visuals/sound – it can only go so far. Game 3.0 moves the industry as a whole into a healthy direction by making games more compelling than having “just another online FPS with a higher polygon count and better lighting”.

Innovations associated with Game 3.0;

- Microsoft XBOX Live! Achievements
- Nintendo Wii Mii’s (universal customizable game avatar)
- Sony Playstation 3’s Playstation Network HOME

References;

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/03/06/sony_to_talk_game_3.0_at_gdc/

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15428

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD07/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=4887

What do you want out of Game 3.0?

Where do you think it will leave us for the NEXT generation? (post X360, Wii and PS3)

I think it's a great philosophy. Combining community, online gameplay, and user-created content into one package is great for console gaming in general. I think that the main reason why a lot of console games don't have quite the "legs" that PC games do because of the lack of user-created content (mods) and this will definitely help that. Plus, i'm all for giving more control to users.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Maybe It's just me, but I don't find the funny everybody seems to find. I thought it was a pretty interesting topic... :/

arcader

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I like the Wii Voting channel, I just hate the term Game 3.0

The Wii voting channel clearly has Game 3.0 interactions...

A topic is opened - Wii/Mii owners vote - the data is cumulated and shared so the community can see where they stand on the topics amongst the rest of the wii community - however its not a very personalized interface - it doesnt allow us to express a specific opinion, and it doesnt flag it as being frum us the voter...the stats do break votes down bt states and sexes to that is a step in the right direction - You can know you represent a male/female in state X.

arcader

Banned
farnham said:
okay DS is game 2.0 and PSP is game 3.0

somehow i appreciate game 2.0 more then...

some DS games like animal crossing clearly support Game 3.0 design ethics.

In fact I think the DS has more Game 3.0 designs than tthe PSP. I dont think the stage builder in megaman powered up counts so much ;)

Regardless of the fact that we're actually taking a PR phrase seriously here (or at least that seems to be what this thread is about) I think this entire concept is flawed. Lumping 4-64 bit consoles together as if there were negligible differences between them is just screwy.

In fact, this whole thread is just screwy.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Actually, the whole "game 3.0" thing really is nothing but P.R.. People have been sharing user created content for forever. Maybe they should just call this "Console game 2.0" The 2.0 suggested in the OP is more of a 1.5 -- a transition -- to what we have now.

farnham

Banned
arcader said:
some DS games like animal crossing clearly support Game 3.0 design ethics.

In fact I think the DS has more Game 3.0 designs than tthe PSP. I dont think the stage builder in megaman powered up counts so much ;)

sony made the term and according to them its game 2.0

dont make analogies on marketing terms like those were established descriptions and definitions..

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i simultaneous love and hate gaming right now.

Gaming itself is in a good state

but the surrounding hype/PR/Spin/politics/'professional' fanboyism is aaaaaaaaaaaabsolute horseshit.

you absolutely know we're going to have a bunch of asshats coming out say "well <company> games aren't Game 3.0 - they aren't evolving like we are, our games embody the Game 3.0 ethic - those games you see there, are very clearly Game 2.0 and we are clearly beyond that with our Game 3.0 strategy. Please PLEASE note 3 > 2, here is a hook, please swallow our PR bait, use it against your friends who have <console>! Remember Game 3.0 is only possible on <console> because of the advance GPU and CPU set up allowing us to render all kinds of awesome that mr. shittypants console over there can't do. Trust us - although the games look the same, they aren't - ours is a whole ONE bigger."

FANBOYTS : DEERRRUUU I DUN NO WAT TO FINK, BUT CUMPNEY I LIK SEZ 3 > 2. WHY COME YOU LIKE 2 GaME AND NOT GAME 3? WE AR BEIN PARTICULaR PEOPLE THAT ARE ENJOYING BEING EVOLUTIONIZED IN GOOD GAMING EFIC BY <COMPANY>

Mojovonio

Banned
DCharlie said:
i simultaneous love and hate gaming right now.

Gaming itself is in a good state

but the surrounding hype/PR/Spin/politics/'professional' fanboyism is aaaaaaaaaaaabsolute horseshit.

everything from column B can be eliminated by not visiting message boards.

Game 3.0... or how do we come up with something new and innovative to keep the user base from getting bored and something that will make more money.

arcader said:
hey mate - if it is inaccurate, just submit edits to make it more accurate.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's not about that. It's the PR push behind it that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it becomes notable enough, it should be fine. For now, it doesn't deserve it's own article in my opinion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
everything from column B can be eliminated by not visiting message boards.

i know... :/

but it doesn't have to be like this.... gamers should ****ing JIHAD on this shit.

Bildi

PantherLotus said:
I think I'm missing the point here.

If you can understand that the artistic merit of games is measured by the number of times the marketing department mentions the word 'art' on their website, then I think you can understand this thread.

vasuba

Banned
Yamauchi needs to hop in his time machine and make sure the PR mouth piece who wrote the Game 3.0 idea is never born.

gonna be sick and tired of hearing game 3.0 real fast

Jiggy

It's too general a theory to not be nonsensical.
Numerous games from the "Game 1.0" generations embodied some of the "Game 3.0" principles, such as user-created content. Sports games, wrestling games, numerous RPGs, particularly PC RPGs, etc. And "Game 2.0" is a fairly dumb category entirely--it spotlights online as a defining feature, yet the number of gamers going online with the XBox is too low to refer to this as a significant break away from "Game 1.0" philosophies.

arcader

Banned
You guys dont have to think about it as "Game 3.0"

You can call it Shiggy-NEXT or whatever you like.

Actual OT discussion would be appreciated tho.

arcader

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
It's too general a theory to not be nonsensical.
Numerous games from the "Game 1.0" generations embodied some of the "Game 3.0" principles, such as user-created content. Sports games, wrestling games, numerous RPGs, particularly PC RPGs, etc. And "Game 2.0" is a fairly dumb category entirely--it spotlights online as a defining feature, yet the number of gamers going online with the XBox is too low to refer to this as a significant break away from "Game 1.0" philosophies.

Can you give examples from the Game 1.0 generation that embodied Game 3.0 principals?

Top Bottom