• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biggest problem with GoW:R / GT7 / H:FW being cross-gen is that we will have to wait another 3+ years to see strongest Sony ip's in full PS5 power

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm not an english native speaker and i've mentioned that few times.

Skip first year with which games, hm? Neither of those games which i've mentioned were not NEARLY ready for release this year for Xbox. And you know it. And also he ignored PS5 only games too.
That’s literally what I’m trying to explain to you. He’s used the word skip here as in ‘they haven’t shown up with anything’. He’s not saying that they’ve deliberately withheld games for the year so they can launch them next gen only. I’m not even being confrontational with you, I was just trying to let you know but you keep coming at me with your console war shit so peace out.

JoeBudden

I thought folks were playing and buying more games than ever during the pandemic.

That doesn't mean Sony isn't losing money in other areas of the business. And, Sony sells more than just consoles and games too.

Interesting view on what gets to be exclusive. Ratchet is a weird game to release at the start of the console generation since it is more of a family friendly game so you would think they would sell it later when the price had reduced and more families decided they want to buy a ps5 for Christmas. I think it is more when they got released rather than it being smaller franchises. They pretty much have given gt and god of war an almost extra 2 years to put the game/optimize for ps4 and horizon got probably an extra 6 months at least to port the game if they hadn't already planned for it.

There's been two critically acclaimed hardcore titles released in this launch window, with Demon's Soul and Returnal, and likewise with two* critically acclaimed casual titles, with Miles Morales and Ratchet (*assuming things go well which it likely will). Two are established franchises (Spiderman and Ratchet), two are more niche (Souls and Returnal).

Sony has had all sides covered for their launch window. It's hard to say that most people aren't interested in at least one of these titles.

And, Sony's moves on delaying GT7 / HFW / Ragnarok, and making those same titles cross gen isn't coincidence.

The pandemic started in 2020 they should have adjusted sales projections along time ago. They want more money.

Decreasing their sales projections indicates a loss in potential revenue. Delaying GT7 / Ragnarok / HFW also costs money. All of this goes back to my point on Sony needing money.

I'm positive Sony has analysts who have measured the sales projections of making these titles cross gen and how it would offset the loss in potential PS5 sales due to the semiconductor shortage, additional development costs from the delays, and losses in other areas of business due to the pandemic.

I agree that folks still would have bought the games. God of war is still god of war just like gran turismo and horizon are still going to be great games most likely. It is still a what would have been scenario if they had been exclusive to ps5. The generations talk is what is mostly messing up the discussion and then the 60 fps nonsense.

This stuff is just classic gamer entitlement. People want what they want without understanding that Sony needs to perform for their shareholders, they need to support thousands of employees, and they need to finance development of the same games these gamers want.

That’s literally what I’m trying to explain to you. He’s used the word skip here as in ‘they haven’t shown up with anything’. He’s not saying that they’ve deliberately withheld games for the year so they can launch them next gen only. I’m not even being confrontational with you, I was just trying to let you know but you keep coming at me with your console war shit so peace out.

Skip isn't the right word to say it, then. But surely he meant like MS had plans to release these games in its first year when he said skipped. So, you mentioned console warrying...where i've mentioned PS5, Switch then?

I and many others don't view anything shown for Ratchet and Clank as nextgen gameplay. If that's all we can expect we might as well hang up this generation now.

Isn't Forza next-gen only? Damn near all Xbox Studios are working on nextgen only games that aren’t rushed for launch.
So ratchet doesn’t count as next gen gameplay; but another forza game with a car going forward on a track is some gold dust next gen gameplay that we haven’t ever seen before?

What an embarrassing warrior.

Guilty_AI

Or are you trying to claim that they could easily have come out on Ps4, but Sony decided to deliberately lose out on all that lovely money?
Thats exactly what i'm saying, or rather, they aren't losing out that much since those aren't high profile titles.

For example, they DID make Miles Morales Cross gen, after all its spiderman and sells gangbusters, no way they'd lose out on the ps4 fan base. But a Ratchet and Clank? Some rogue lite shooter? They didn't even released sales numbers for their previous titles. They aren't missing much by skipping ps4 ports. Better keep them on the ps5 for their PR.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Me personally, I think it's ridiculous that people still want GOW games.

Fuck Kratos.

PS5 exclusives will come in due time, just be patient. There literally isn't anything you can do about it whether you own the console or not, no point in wasting energy on it.

edit-

For people saying that R&C isn't showing anything truly nex-gen. Proceed to slap yourself please. R&C looks like it's catered to kids but the games are undeniably fun as can be, don't be jaded. Insomniac's art design in the R&C series is second to none. Expand your horizons.

Last edited:
Should have seen it coming after their financial report tbh

They're expecting an even bigger boost in fp sales this FY year than the previous.

There was no way they'd accomplish that without a crossgen GoW and GT, assuming both of those can make it before the end of March

HTK

Banned
From what I've seen so far, cross-gen or not, games look great. So I'm not too worried about that, what I am worried about is the quality of games in general, gameplay, storytelling etc... etc...

BeardGawd

Banned
Probs Starfield, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Fable, Forza Motorsport 8 and Hellblade 2. Should all be out within 2-3 years.

Think you’ve misunderstood the post, he’s saying that MS have skipped the first year (e.g barely any games) but it means their next gen only games should hit before Santa Monica’s, Polyphony’s and Guerrilla’s next gen only games.

This guy gets it! Surprised this is so hard for some to understand.

Due to the timing(whether MS planned this or not) it is absolutely a reasonable thing to say that MS will have the first truly Next-gen AAA 1st party games. People keep mentioning Ratchet and Clank and Demons but I'm sorry I don't think either of those are truly nextgen games at all. Just because a game is exclusive to PS5 doesn't mean it couldn't have easily been a PS4 game also. Sharper res and instant loading of levels does not constitute nextgen gameplay.

Last edited:
After all these years, I learned my lesson from the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, PS3 and Xbox One. Console manufacturer's marketing departments are divorced from their engineering teams: They will sell you up the fucking river either because they can make more money or can't make enough.

Cerny is engineering team + marketing team + ceo + messiah all rolled into one.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Skip isn't the right word to say it, then. But surely he meant like MS had plans to release these games in its first year when he said skipped. So, you mentioned console warrying...where i've mentioned PS5, Switch then?
It is the right word because there is subtlety to the meaning.

Where have you mentioned PS5? Are you legit trolling me now?

And also he DELIBERATELY ignored PS5 only games. Ratchet will launch next week.

And also he ignored PS5 only games too.

NahaNago

That doesn't mean Sony isn't losing money in other areas of the business. And, Sony sells more than just consoles and games too.
There's been two critically acclaimed hardcore titles released in this launch window, with Demon's Soul and Returnal, and likewise with two* critically acclaimed casual titles, with Miles Morales and Ratchet (*assuming things go well which it likely will). Two are established franchises (Spiderman and Ratchet), two are more niche (Souls and Returnal).

Sony has had all sides covered for their launch window. It's hard to say that most people aren't interested in at least one of these titles.

And, Sony's moves on delaying GT7 / HFW / Ragnarok, and making those same titles cross gen isn't coincidence.

Decreasing their sales projections indicates a loss in potential revenue. Delaying GT7 / Ragnarok / HFW also costs money. All of this goes back to my point on Sony needing money.

I'm positive Sony has analysts who have measured the sales projections of making these titles cross gen and how it would offset the loss in potential PS5 sales due to the semiconductor shortage, additional development costs from the delays, and losses in other areas of business due to the pandemic.

This stuff is just classic gamer entitlement. People want what they want without understanding that Sony needs to perform for their shareholders, they need to support thousands of employees, and they need to finance development of the same games these gamers want.
I keep forgetting about that spiderman morales. I totally blanked out on the fact that Sony is more than playstation. Sony has like 111,000 employees somehow and probably less than 3,000 of them are for playstation.

Astral Dog

Gamers now are like
tenor.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP is right those games will still be game of the year favorites. Let me remind you it’s that the Mona Lisa was on a piece of paper, hundreds of years old and is still considered a masterpiece. Ocarina of time is on an age’d N64, masterpiece. It’s the game not the system.

Fbh

Sony does have plenty of other studios to release next gen only games.

But yeah, it's disappointing that we'll probaly only get 1 truly next gen game by Santa Monica

kikii

certainly biggest problem is u ppl make cry me a river threads like this as there wasnt enough of em already

It is the right word because there is subtlety to the meaning.

So, MS had Fable, Starfield, Perfect Dark ready for first year, but MS skipped first year and release it a next-gen only. What MS had for first year, which next-games?

Where have you mentioned PS5? Are you legit trolling me now?

So why he mentioned MS games in PS5 thread in the first place? Yet you SKIPPED that. I've have right to say that he deliberately ignored PS5 games. And that is not a console warring at all if he ignored that.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The theory that cross-gen games "Hold back" next gen versions is only true for crap/lazy devs.

I'm pretty sure AAA devs aim for the more powerful first, and then chop down for the weaker version.
Lol lazy devs, depends on what budget they dedicate to current gen, sometimes its better for all gamers if companies don't do a Cyberpunk.

The horizon 2 /God of War PS4 versions will be fine

Amiga

games can be based fully on PS5 then scaled down. developers will adjust the pieces to fit the PS4. issue is games will not be optimized for the PS4. developers managed to port PS4 based games to the Switch.

HZD can run sub @540p on PC. but it wasn't made to run at that resolution. and the game could even be functional @320p if GG added heavy fog effects, removed grass and made native 320p textures.

I don't think we have to wait that long tho.
The PS5 and PS4 are similar in architecture. The PS5 was designed to reduced development cycle time and is easy to develop for. That nearly 10 year experience with PS4 hardware and the PS5's similarity to the PS4 hardware will pay off in terms of faster dev cycles.
This is pure entitlement. Sony, like everyone else, was obviously impacted by the pandemic. That's why they're doing this.

And, acting like it will take +3 years to see an exclusive title that completely leverages the PS5 hardware is just fear mongering.

God of War PS4 with the PS5 patch still looks unbelievably good. I expect Ragnarok to still look amazing despite being a cross-gen title.
Sony was impacted by the pandemic more than 3 years ago?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I think it is absolutely bonkers to speculate how God of war or Horizon might look like if they were PS5 exclusive. Nobody knows and it´s all just pure speculation without any evidence. Those games will still melt your fucking retina. Look what Naughty dog was able to pull off with the base PS4. Or Death stranding, or God of War, etc.

If I get the fidelity shown with Horizon in 60FPS, I can happily say that this is THE DEFINITION of Next-gen for me! This was not possible with the last-gen.

And besides that: We all knew that it takes a couple of years till the devs are able to harness the real power of a new-gen. This will also be the case this time. So just fucking chill and enjoy those technical masterpieces SONY is about to drop on all of us.

Trust us bro. We know it would have blown our faces off. Just look at TLOU2, GoT, and FFVII Remake running on a 1.8 TF machine with the weakest CPU ever and 5 GBs of usable RAM, and a 5400 RPM mechancial HDD. Just sit back for 60 seconds and think about that. Let it sink in.................

Yeah, crazy huh?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
the way I see this,
First time where PS4 and PS5 are in the same architecture and backwards compatible.
this also means not leaving behind the users from PS4. If they forced everyone to upgrade, people would still complain about it.

Yeah makes sense financially to have cross gen games. Studios don’t run only by fans good will, money is also needed.

New IPs are definitely going to be PS5 only. We already seeing that.

PS5 is supply constrained.
I'm not sure those complaints would hold water with anyone. "Why aren't you releasing a 2022 game on my PS4?" is a bit of a silly complaint.

GymWolf

I don't think one problem is bigger than another, both the lack of ps5 exclusivity and the wait for their next proper ps5 game are both terrible news for people who like horizon and gow.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So what about removing destructability in your game?

What about changing lighting systems?

Scaleability does not mean removing bits and pieces of your game until it works.
And innovative new game design doesn't mean having more eye candy debris and better reflections in your game either.

Ya'll are funny. I would think that Sony may have additional IP's in the works that would be exclusive to the PS5 platform in the coming year or so. But this is the hill you choose to die on restricting it to these three IP's?

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I and many others don't view anything shown for Ratchet and Clank as nextgen gameplay. If that's all we can expect we might as well hang up this generation now.

Isn't Forza next-gen only? Damn near all Xbox Studios are working on nextgen only games that aren’t rushed for launch.
This is how a delusional Xbox fanboy looks like.
Learn to not be like this people. Its embarrassing.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I'm not sure those complaints would hold water with anyone. "Why aren't you releasing a 2022 game on my PS4?" is a bit of a silly complaint.

trust me, all it takes is a fanboy to start that complain and everyone will jump at that outcry because of console wars.

we gamers are fickle. We have games releasing for the consoles… isn’t that good? Everyone wins, people who can’t find a PS5 and those who have a PS5

You mean PS Studio exclusives right? Because there's PS5 (or next-gen only) titles coming as soon as next year like Forespoken and Final Fantasy XVI, to name examples.

You should expect the next Naughty Dog, Bend Studio and Sucker Punch games to all release within the next 2 years for PS5 only. The matter with GOW, Horizon FW, Miles Morales and GT7 is of timing. As soon as they finished their previous games they started development on the next projects on PS4.

Shmunter

In all this I’m at least hoping they do a FF7 remaster style of new chapter as next gen only.

Similar to ND short uncharted story.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Longer than that. God of War will be it for this generation. HFW will also be it unless GG does another IP which probably won't come till the end of this generation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The best thing is that it's going to be alright.

It's like worrying about solid output of reliable devs like Nintendo. They may not be my cup of tea but for their audience, they're consistent.

Sony does the same thing. Great original games are coming from their best. Be happy in knowing that.

You mean PS Studio exclusives right? Because there's PS5 (or next-gen only) titles coming as soon as next year like Forespoken and Final Fantasy XVI, to name examples.

You should expect the next Naughty Dog, Bend Studio and Sucker Punch games to all release within the next 2 years for PS5 only. The matter with GOW, Horizon FW, Miles Morales and GT7 is of timing. As soon as they finished their previous games they started development on the next projects on PS4.
Let's hope that's the case and money hungry Sony doesn't announce a cross gen Spiderman 2.

Top Bottom