• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac 3DS REJECTED [Up: Now looking into Sony Platforms]

giggas

I think all of you guys that are angry/upset at this choice seem to forget that the main character in this game is a naked little boy.

Effect

Just because Nintendo has poor 3rd party support doesn't mean they'll accept anything and everything. People need to stop and think for a moment. They aren't going to do anything that isn't in their best interest just because they want more 3rd party support. They are a business that makes decisions in the best interest of their brand, image, and bottom line. As said in the past sex and violence are looked at differently then religion. That's just how it is. So one has to be careful once you cross over into that space. Even then there is plenty of other questionable material in the game from what I can tell from reports from people that have played it and the screenshots I've seen. Don't blame Nintendo. This isn't some situation of Nintendo trying to censor developers and being some big bad. The developers made BoI the way they did having to know full well how it would be received if it had to be rate by the ESRB and other platform holders. They had to know this would be the end result.

test_account

XP-39C²
ibfgURH0hU6Ovk.jpg

:(

stupei

Yes? When did I mention Microsoft in my post? What they do with their content is irrelevant in the current topic of Nintendo restricting content based on the (ethical) values in that content. In Nintendo's case is that their restriction is really narrow and filters out even at the slightest hint of anything offending or controversial. To specify, I am referring to cases where platform holders restrict content based on the inherent values in them. What Microsoft and Sony do might be as counter-intuitive as what Nintendo are doing, but that does not mean that what they are doing justifies likewise behaviour.

Can you give a recent example of them overreacting to even the slightest hint of something controversial? I ask because you certainly can't be referring to the content of The Binding of Isaac, so I assume you have something specific in mind when you say that.

Cartman86

Banned
1) We are an inherently violent species that enjoys violence in our entertainment.

2) Pretend violence is not real violence. Because it's pretend.

3) Video game violence is pretend violence, and nobody sane believes that when something happens in a game, that implies an endorsement of any real life reenactment of that action.

4) Insulting groups of people is not looked kindly upon in our oh-so politically correct society. (Well, certain groups of people are fair game, but we'll leave that for an OT thread I won't actually participate in because, you know, OT bullshit.)

5) You know all of this and you're just being a tit.

Using satire or art to condemn, comment on, or question an IDEA (which is what religion or politics are) is an even less innocuous thing than fake violence. At least it's the cornerstone of free speech and is a key component in the process of growing up. Violence obviously is important to some stories, but in most videogames it's just for laughs or to get your base emotions pumped up for a little bit. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think criticizing a religion/religious ideas or claims is the same as shitting on homosexuals, women etc which are what should be protected in our "politically correct" society.

Thoraxes

Didn't see it in the OP, but did anyone post the tweet that Edmund posted about how Nintendo was totally cool with all the violent M-rated content?

Hell, one of the songs in Mad World has the lyrics "When you gonna rape? When you gonna learn?" in it.

Additionally, the game wasn't rated by the ESRB as far as I can see, and even though it wasn't rated steam allows for this to happen as a platform.

How come whenever Team Meat is in the news, it's them complaining that the industry is not bowing down to their every idea and whim?

They assumed Nintendo would raise the meg-cap of WiiWare to suit Super Meat Boy's needs, instead of designing the game around the limitations.

Then they attacked Microsoft for not giving Super Meat Boy the attention they felt it deserved, even though it did very well on XBLA.

Then they had that huge twitter fight with Zen Studios, and made fun of Pinball games.

Now they're SHOCKED that Nintendo would allow a game with extreme violence, anti-religious and sexual content into the 3DS shop.

I honestly wonder who these guys think they are.

And this is coming from someone who LOVES Super Meat Boy.

Volcynika

I don't really see a huge amount of complaining from him. This is not a Team Meat thing anyways, but he's obviously not happy that Nintendo rejected it, then said why, then praised how Steam is less restrictive on requirements.

Dumb question, since this was supposedly meant to be DD-only, isn't there some system to autenticate one as an adult and to accept contract terms before purchasing the game?

Oddduck

How come whenever Team Meat is in the news, it's them complaining that the industry is not bowing down to their every idea and whim?

They assumed Nintendo would raise the meg-cap of WiiWare to suit Super Meat Boy's needs, instead of designing the game around the limitations.

Then they attacked Microsoft for not giving Super Meat Boy the attention they felt it deserved, even though it did very well on XBLA.

Then they had that huge twitter fight with Zen Studios, and made fun of Pinball games.

Now they're SHOCKED that Nintendo would allow a game with extreme violence, anti-religious and sexual content into the 3DS shop.

Agreed. They seem to have this attitude that they are the best thing to have ever happened to indie gaming. And when they don't get everything they want, they have to be super vocal about it to grab news headlines on gaming sites and forums.

They may be a talented studio, but they sure love to whore for attention in between working on games.

giggas

That looks like this:
NEWvJ.png

It doesn't matter what it looks like, the fact is that is what it's supposed to be.

Criminal Upper said:

You raise some really great, and interesting points. Also, if I recall, didn't they release some shitty Tiger electronics LCD inspired Meat Boy game on iOS and slowly raise the price on it to see how much money they could sucker out of people? I swear I remember McMillen doing a talk at some show before about it.

Red

This game isn't by Team Meat guys.

Shocking? Gross? Regardless I don't see how.
I don't think shocking either, and gross only slightly. It's meant to be oppressive and weird definitely, but the visuals are so abstracted by the cartoon style that you have to sit down and think about what's going on before you realize how twisted it is.

All that stuff is dressing anyway. The core game is great: simple to pick up, and very fun.

Dicer

Banned
I love the Nintendo bashing threads like this cause, lol...

Everyone is quick to point to the Snes version of MK, then totally forget the Gamecube version of BMX XXX and the like.

I don't think shocking either, and gross only slightly. It's meant to be oppressive and weird definitely, but the visuals are so abstracted by the cartoon style that you have to sit down and think about what's going on before you realize how twisted it is.

All that stuff is dressing anyway. The core game is great: simple to pick up, and very fun.

In this case reactions to such a game are very subjective, and I can definitely state that I found the game repulsive immediately, and I'm not religious at all. The game tries to press as many buttons as possible and it succeeds.

I'm not saying this is the only way to see the game, but dismissing the complaints as "dressing" isn't giving other perspectives due credit.

Mista Koo

I'm mainly talking about poop and stuff, I liked the over the top visuals and horroresque themes otherwise.

Zzoram

Of course this game would never end up on consoles. Could you imagine the Fox News reports?

Nintendo releases Abortion promoting game!

Red

In this case reactions to such a game are very subjective, and I can definitely state that I found the game repulsive immediately, and I'm not religious at all. The game tries to press as many buttons as possible and it succeeds.
I can't argue with that, as you're right about the thing being subjective. And I get why Nintendo blocked it. But I have no problem with the content. I thought it was surprisingly cohesive, from theme to visuals to sound.

My remark about "dressing" was more toward people dismissing the game based on its style and thematic content rather than gameplay. I am assuming people saying it is "a crap game" and so on have not actually played it, and are making assumptions based on its perceived "look at me!" visuals.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It doesn't matter what it looks like, the fact is that is what it's supposed to be.

You raise some really great, and interesting points. Also, if I recall, didn't they release some shitty Tiger electronics LCD inspired Meat Boy game on iOS and slowly raise the price on it to see how much money they could sucker out of people? I swear I remember McMillen doing a talk at some show before about it.
http://kotaku.com/5497459/apple-bans-game-days-after-developer-publicly-trashes-app-store

Zits and Giggles.

I can't argue with that, as you're right about the thing being subjective. And I get why Nintendo blocked it. But I have no problem with the content. I thought it was surprisingly cohesive, from theme to visuals to sound.

I agree with it being cohesive. I liked the game on a certain level. It certainly accomplished what it set out to do. I probably would not have bought it again for the 3DS, and don't anticipate to see it on any other platform though.

fernoca

Could be wrong, bet I am; but has this game also been denied in other platforms like iOS? So why saying "Oh Nintendo"; when they're not the only ones that denied.

Heck, they had no problems allowing Manhunt 2, publishing Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 and allowing the uncensored BMX XXX.

Some are quick to put Nintendo as "stock in the 80s" but their responses show that they're the ones stock in the 80s.

But as I said, I could've mixed the info about the iOS bit.

EDIT:

Checked around and is not that the game is not allowed on iOS, but that hey don't want it on iOS?

:p

EDIT 2:
And agree with Criminal Upper.
Forgot also that the 2 times that Nintendo approached them for a game; they "couldn't".
Nintendo apprached them for Aether, but couldn't because of technical reasons.
Then Meta boy, and couldn't because the remade everything and added stuff, and turned into a different version...so it couldn't fit on the 40MB limit.
Then they expected Nintendo to raise the 40MB cap.

solidefy

You pretty much articulated exactly what I was thinking. I loved SMB and BoI as well.

Sucks, but Nintendo probably did Nicalis a favor since there's little chance Issac would've gotten through the ESRB with anything but AO. Still, I don't like the precedent on digital it sets for Nintendo (content approval) and PR wise it probably would've been better for them to let Nicalis waste resources and pass the blame to the ESRB. I don't like that Nintendo has different standards for digital versus retail, even if they're the vendor.

Red

You pretty much articulated exactly what I was thinking. I loved SMB and BoI as well.
When everything you do is praised, and your fans treat you like a god, there is a good chance you'll get an inflated ego.

That doesn't excuse it. But I think it's easy to understand.

The guys of Team Meat are basically the rock stars of the indie gaming world at the moment. They think the world needs to hear what they want to say.

giggas

Ah okay, thanks. I was confused a bit with my facts. They likened the App Store to Tiger LCD games, and the game has nothing to do with SMB. But anyway, yeah, they suckered someone into spending 400 dollars on something they knew was trash, and then went onto a stage and trashed the App Store and their customers. It's just shitty business, I don't care what the experiment is or the point they're trying to prove.

Surprising but somewhat understandable. Still a shame though.

Have any of you considered that Nintendo might have rejected the game because it was too similar to Zelda? Not the gameplay but the look, maybe they don't want people to associate the Zelda series with this game.

That's what I expected when I clicked on the thread. Not that I'm sure it would have made a lot of sense.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It does not, since you don't need one on the PC unless you have a retail version. Retailers won't carry games if they don't have an ESRB rating on the box.

Well you do need it if you want it on console DD services (except for XBLA Indie Games, I think.) I think the game would have had a much better chance if it did have an ESRB rating before he went to Nintendo.

Ridley327

Well you do need it if you want it on console DD services. I think the game would have had a much better chance if it did have an ESRB rating before he went to Nintendo.

Edmund probably made the right move in the long run; you have to pay to get an ESRB rating, and if it managed to get an AO rating from them, there would be no dialogue about the game at all and he'd be out of pocket on what he already figured would happen. Going straight to Nintendo about the game sure is a lot cheaper and he at least got reasons why they wouldn't want it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Edmund probably made the right move in the long run; you have to pay to get an ESRB rating, and if it managed to get an AO rating from them, there would be no dialogue about the game at all and he'd be out of pocket on what he already figured would happen. Going straight to Nintendo about the game sure is a lot cheaper and he at least got reasons why they wouldn't want it.

It's also more controversial and more likely to get his name on the blogs. Probably.

Would it really have gotten an AO rating?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It's also more controversial and more likely to get his name on the blogs. Probably.

Would it really have gotten an AO rating?

The PC retail version is not even PEGI 18, just 16. But the contents of the game are probably a different thing for the US market. The whole sex/religious thing.

Top Bottom