• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

AoM

Figured. But fuck I just need to get through one run first.

Assuming you have Afterbirth, keep an eye out for this item in the treasure rooms. It'll pretty much guarantee a win.

Tech_X_Icon.png

Next booster is in testing, as of last week, and should be out soon. My guess is Thursday or Friday, as is usually the case when they tease "it's in testing"

Also a super secret bonus booster is almost finished being developed. My guess is this is the "big" booster that adds the Switch achievements, new challenges, new general achievements and some Antibirth content that's been teased the last few months.

Stat!

Next booster is in testing, as of last week, and should be out soon. My guess is Thursday or Friday, as is usually the case when they tease "it's in testing"

Also a super secret bonus booster is almost finished being developed. My guess is this is the "big" booster that adds the Switch achievements, new challenges, new general achievements and some Antibirth content that's been teased the last few months.

Im excited. I loved anti birth but didn't love switching and I was getting bored of Eden runs in AB+. Just started a new save file but kinda meh. I hope we get new challenges too

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I thought I saw a while back that a patch added the ability to get achievements/unlock stuff with mods enabled. Is that the case? The last time I tried playing with mods nothing unlocked, but I wasn't sure if I was just not triggering anything on the couple of times I played.

I thought I saw a while back that a patch added the ability to get achievements/unlock stuff with mods enabled. Is that the case? The last time I tried playing with mods nothing unlocked, but I wasn't sure if I was just not triggering anything on the couple of times I played.

After you beat Mom's Heart for the first time, you unlock the ability to unlock stuff while mods are enabled.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Good god boss rush in Afterbirth+ is insane. I was playing on normal and I thought it would never end. Got there with Azazel for the first time and I was cursed so I had no idea how much health I had. And I hit a dice room beforehand so I had really had no idea what items I even had. I am still in shock I managed to beat it just now since I got hit so many times that I'm pretty sure I should have been dead a long time ago lol.

Magwik

Banned
Yeah they patched it out so mods don't disable achievements. There's probably mods dedicated to be used in challenges at this point which should be nice.

llehuty

Finally got the game (just came out in Europe for the Switch). My last reference was vanilla BoI for PC some years ago.I had forgotten how addictive it is.

I know it's old news for everyone, but different shape rooms are a nice change of pace. I also really like how they added a line of text for some of the objects (mainly the Tarot cards). I remember checking the wiki all the time because I kept forgetting the effects.

I see one of the charachter unlock is tied to the difficulty level, is there plenty of content tied to the difficulty? I'm trying to stick to normal, because I remember the later sections of the game being really hard (although I manage to consistenly beat mom and in some cases, mom's heart.

Also, what was/is your approach with the trinkets? I'm tempted to wiki all the ones I get; while some of them have obvious effects, it's kind of difficult figuring out what some of them do and if it's worth it sticking to them (a big thing in the runs I get that box that generates trinkets).

VQfumGR.jpg

Finally! The 1:1 English version has arrived in Europe.

Last time I played this game was on the PS4 release and before that on PC release minus every dlc that came.
Exited to play it again.

I just hope this version will get the same patches as the us version at the same time. :/

I remember an important PS4 patch that Europe got more then 6 months! later as the us players...

Was the potential pre-order bonus ever clarified, or even solidified, for the upcoming retail PS4 version? I'm guessing most physical goodies are remaining exclusive to the Switch on Nicalis' end. Either way, I'm excited to finally try out this title after hearing about it for so many years.

cyba89

Got my physical Switch copy too. The european cover is so good.

Feels so good to finally have proper portable Isaac. The Vita version never felt so good for me because of the controls.
I have not played much of the Afterbirth+ content on PC yet so theres plenty of new stuff for me.

Do the console versions also get the booster packs?

When the fuck afterbirth + gonna hit ps4. My son and I been waiting forever it seems like. They patched it for the dlc weeks ago.

I was sad to see my 100% trophy completion of Rebirth + Afterbirth decreased to 86%, assumingly to prepare for Afterbirth +.
So yeah... it's coming... just at the usual Nicalis pace. :/

Got my physical Switch copy too. The european cover is so good.

Feels so good to finally have proper portable Isaac. The Vita version never felt so good for me because of the controls.
I have not played much of the Afterbirth+ content on PC yet so theres plenty of new stuff for me.

Do the console versions also get the booster packs?
Boosters are coming to consoles... eventually. They're planning to do them in once or twice a year big patches.

Of course you never know if it'll ever actually happen.

imperium

When the fuck afterbirth + gonna hit ps4. My son and I been waiting forever it seems like. They patched it for the dlc weeks ago.

When I was trading in some games at GameStop, a week or so ago, the assiocaite gave me a list of upcoming PS4 games. I could have sworn I saw Binding of Issac with a release date of 9/19/17. It caught my eye because my daughter absolutely loves the game.

Oreoleo

That feeling when you beat Ultra Greed and the chest drops right on you so you immediately go to the end credits before you can put your 60+ coins in the greed machine.

(It is not a good feeling)

Yeah that is bullshit. Should be like the trapdoor to the next level when you beat a boss; if it spawns when you're on top of it it stays closed

Finally got the game, I was addicted to the PS Vita version which I loved because I could play PS4 and then cross save to Vita.

For me it's clearly the best version of the game.

It's still so good and while it seems very basic at first it can quickly become super insane with all the synergies. Plus the rooms and ennemy configurations allow for some epic fights.

AoM

I've actually gone back to the original Isaac. Trying to get back to where I used to be, so I at least have a chance at getting these eternal achievements.

I had such a good Eve run.

I was like a nigh unstoppable killing machine, only one red heart left, the other ones being blue/black hearts

Maximum damage output with Whore of Babylon activated, double tears, maximum speed and range. Tears buffed with accuracy.

And then I entered a dice room and got stuck with Beelzebub.

Feels bad man :(

dickroach

I had such a good Eve run.

I was like a nigh unstoppable killing machine, only one red heart left, the other ones being blue/black hearts

Maximum damage output with Whore of Babylon activated, double tears, maximum speed and range. Tears buffed with accuracy.

And then I entered a dice room and got stuck with Beelzebub.

Feels bad man :(

what?
1) you don't have to use dice rooms if you enter one
2) Beelzebub is one of the best transformations in the game

mazillion

Anyone know if there's a switch patch for the dodgy controls yet?

There has been a Switch patch in the works for about a month now. Edmund was talking about it on twitter. But we don't know what will be in the patch.

I'm not sure what your problems with the controls are but they work perfectly for me (joy-cons).

I just hope they patch the Loki's Horn bug because I am almost at %100 completion now. I had hoped they would've have fixed this bug well before I got to this point.

It's been a long long long time since I played just the original Greed mode, but I've picked this up on Switch (because there's no way I'm passing up portable Isaac that performs well) and noticed that Greed himself shows up a hell of a lot during the waves.

Has it always been like this? I went onto the PC version and played some of Greed & Greedier mode and didn't see him once. On the Switch though he seems to show up at least 2 or 3 times in a run.

Oreoleo

It's been a long long long time since I played just the original Greed mode, but I've picked this up on Switch (because there's no way I'm passing up portable Isaac that performs well) and noticed that Greed himself shows up a hell of a lot during the waves.

Has it always been like this? I went onto the PC version and played some of Greed & Greedier mode and didn't see him once. On the Switch though he seems to show up at least 2 or 3 times in a run.
I've seen others mention this is a bug in the Switch version. Hopefully it's squashed in the upcoming patch, whenever they get around to actually releasing it.

Probably old news to the Binding of Isaac veterans, but after struggling the last couple of days with the mobile version of the BOI wiki to figure out what all the damn trinkets do (most of the time, useless stuff), I found this android app that simplifies things quite a lot
Can confirm, tried 2 or 3 different apps and this is what I settled on as the best/most convenient to use. The only thing I've noticed it's missing is a page for character completion marks and another for greed machine unlocks.

On the Switch, if you haven't unlocked the Afterbirth+ portal enemy spawners, they're replaced with Greed for times when they would have spawned in Greed mode.

This makes Greed mode obscenely difficult until you unlock the AB+ enemies (I think beat Mega Satan?)

This isn't an issue on the PC because AB+ enemies are not locked. They will be eventually (I think next booster), so we'll have to see if they fix it, or just leave Greed mode at being ridiculously hard before you get far into regular mode.

Oreoleo

On the Switch, if you haven't unlocked the Afterbirth+ portal enemy spawners, they're replaced with Greed for times when they would have spawned in Greed mode.

This makes Greed mode obscenely difficult until you unlock the AB+ enemies (I think beat Mega Satan?)
Hm, interesting. This definitely lines up with my experience. After beating Mega Satan a few weeks ago I've been putting the majority of my time into Greed mode and haven't seen a single greed enemy before the final floor, whereas they were all over the place before. I had actually been wondering if Nicalis snuck a patch out (lol) without me noticing or hearing about it.

Edit: Yeah that explains the "The gates are open" message I got after beating Mega Satan. I thought it was referring to the portal to reach Delirium, even though I'd already seen it spawn a few times prior.

I actually think it's a bug, though. They probably never put in stuff for enemy unlocks into Greed mode, because the "regular" game doesn't technically lock enemies, just rooms containing those enemies (so it functionally locks the enemies).

My guess is Greed is the fallback enemy for Greed mode if there's an error loading an enemy.

That fallback should probably be changed to a Fatty or a Greed Head or whatever and make life easy for them

UberTag

Anyone know if there's a switch patch for the dodgy controls yet?
Controls in Isaac are just fine and not dodgy at all... UNLESS you have wireless sync issues with your Joy-Cons which can come into play even with them physically attached to the system.

I sent my launch left Joy-Con into Nintendo and had no further control challenges after Nintendo sent it back to me.

Man my switch version was on the knees with my latest run :

Azazel
4 familiars
Gumpy's head so I spawned flies liberally
The item that allows you to draw circles on the floor so that it makes pentagrams that hurt ennemies.

The slowdown was impressive in
Utero

febLey

Finally got the game with the help of two 5€ PayPal coupons for 30 bucks digitally.
Already got some good runs. I have the feeling that the game got easier compared to Rebirth (haven't played that much, only played the 1 - 2 hours because I got it on PS+).

Top Bottom