• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Community

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Came for the interesting topic, got lost in the banter.

A+ matt404au matt404au Riven326 Riven326
That’s just GAF in current_year. Mates vehemently disagreeing whilst still drinking together in EviLore’s pub. Resetera, on the other hand, is a sewing circle where they’re Ugly Betties who think they’re Mean Girls and they’re all competing to be Queen Xie (mod status) by stabbing each other in the back.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Aug 20, 2019
That’s just GAF in current_year. Mates vehemently disagreeing whilst still drinking together in EviLore’s pub. Resetera, on the other hand, is a sewing circle where they’re Ugly Betties who think they’re Mean Girls and they’re all competing to be Queen Xie (mod status) by stabbing each other in the back.
Barsinister Barsinister , I’m not an expert, but I feel like this has comic potential.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
I'm amused at this idea that Europe is, in fact, a cultural collective, versus a whole myriad range of different cultures, in and of itself.
I don't think it's all one culture. I think the populations of Europe that are predominately white have cultures that are more in common with each other than say, someone who is currently living in Iraq.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
I don't think it's all one culture. I think the populations of Europe that are predominately white have cultures that are more in common with each other than say, someone who is currently living in Iraq.
By what metric? That they're largely not Muslim?

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
By what metric? That they're largely not Muslim?
No. Because they're largely white and thus have more in common with each other than someone who is an Iraqi. Just as a Saudi has more culturally in common with an Iranian than a Norwegian. Even if you removed Islam from the equation, it is still true.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
No. Because they're largely white and thus have more in common with each other than someone who is an Iraqi. Just as a Saudi has more culturally in common with an Iranian than a Norwegian. Even if you removed Islam from the equation, it is still true.
How the fuck does the colour of skin tone alone make an Italian in any way have more in common with a Swede culturally versus an Iranian? Honestly, this notion of some common identity inherent based solely upon physical appearance is so profoundly racist in its unspoken assumptions (as if this stuff is part of one's DNA) it frankly beggars belief.

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
How the fuck does the colour of skin tone alone make an Italian in any way have more in common with a Swede culturally versus an Iranian? Honestly, this notion of some common identity inherent based solely upon physical appearance is so profoundly racist in its unspoken assumptions (as if this stuff is part of one's DNA) it frankly beggars belief.
I think most European cultures do have more in common with each other than they do with middle eastern cultures, but that’s not due to skin colour.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Is it simply geography then?
I’ve already stated clearly what I think. There are two forms of evolution: biological (nature; immutable) and social (nurture; mutable). Historically, both have happened within geographical constraints. Essentially, borders have acted as boundary conditions for both. However, due to technological and diplomatic developments, those geographical constraints no longer exist, and we now need to confront the next step of evolution as cultures clash and merge. Someone’s values and belief system can change as they integrate into a new society. What they look like cannot.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
This got posted in another thread, but I've been thinking about it a lot since I saw it earlier today.

That gap is massive. I'm not sure it can be bridged. How are we supposed to have any kind of progress if one broad racial group mostly thinks race is not important and over half of every other racial group thinks it is important. I don't think the answer is for White People to start thinking that race is, actually, really important to their identities. That rarely ends well.
In a way though woke ideology teaches whites to see their race as central to their identity, except that they are supposed to view it as a negative.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I’ve already stated clearly what I think. There are two forms of evolution: biological (nature; immutable) and social (nurture; mutable). Historically, both have happened within geographical constraints. Essentially, borders have acted as boundary conditions for both. However, due to technological and diplomatic developments, those geographical constraints no longer exist, and we now need to confront the next step of evolution as cultures clash and merge. Someone’s values and belief system can change as they integrate into a new society. What they look like cannot.
Fair enough. That makes sense.

That assumes they actually do assimilate. But they don't. That's been made obvious in many western countries. The government's of these countries also do their best to prevent assimilation. Those that point out the lack of assimilation and how the government doesn't want migrants to assimilate end up being called racist. Governments like in Hungary and Poland thast demand assimilation, also end being called racist.

Which is why you're not going to have your multi-race/one culture scenario. Because its not the people that choose, and many migrants are hostile towards the idea of assimilation.

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Fair enough. That makes sense.

That assumes they actually do assimilate. But they don't. That's been made obvious in many western countries. The government's of these countries also do their best to prevent assimilation. Those that point out the lack of assimilation and how the government doesn't want migrants to assimilate end up being called racist. Governments like in Hungary and Poland thast demand assimilation, also end being called racist.

Which is why you're not going to have your multi-race/one culture scenario. Because its not the people that choose, and many migrants are hostile towards the idea of assimilation.
So then you would agree that the problem is left wing governments doing their best to prevent assimilation and keep people divided rather than assimilation being impossible?

Reactions: Arelyon

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
So then you would agree that the problem is left wing governments doing their best to prevent assimilation and keep people divided rather than assimilation being impossible?
In the left vs right world of politics, sure. But dig a little deeper. What makes up left and right? Democracies.

Assimilation is impossible because of left wing policies, yes. But the left only exists because it's a democratic system. And as long as the that system exists, no matter how resistant the right is to change, it will always loose that fight. Because the appeal to emotion always wins over logic in the eyes of an ever increasing liberal population. The river always flows in that direction it seems.

Reactions: Arelyon

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
In the left vs right world of politics, sure. But dig a little deeper. What makes up left and right? Democracies.

Assimilation is impossible because of left wing policies, yes. But the left only exists because it's a democratic system. And as long as the that system exists, no matter how resistant the right is to change, it will always loose that fight. Because the appeal to emotion always wins over logic in the eyes of an ever increasing liberal population. The river always flows in that direction it seems.
Perhaps, but that’s a separate argument to whether culture is a mutable characteristic.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If you speak or listen to black conservatives they are normal people. Go out work hard put in effort dont blame everyone else. Work hard for their dream and follow the law as best they can.

But then you got the leftisit black community and its nothings my fault give me money give me this and that and everyone is racist.

The problem isnt the black community its leftist. Leftist infiltrated the black community and has over taken its leadership and driven it into the gutter.

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
If you speak or listen to black conservatives they are normal people. Go out work hard put in effort dont blame everyone else. Work hard for their dream and follow the law as best they can.

But then you got the leftisit black community and its nothings my fault give me money give me this and that and everyone is racist.

The problem isnt the black community its leftist. Leftist infiltrated the black community and has over taken its leadership and driven it into the gutter.
Gotta be honest, minority conservatives tend to be my favourite kind of people. Not because they’re minorities but because it takes a lot of resilience and a strong will to go against the allure of victimhood. Blacks, Asians, women, whatever. I respect anyone who has the opportunity to skate through life on a victim card but rejects it and makes their own way. It’s another reason to despise affirmative action: it diminishes the accomplishments of these people.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
I'm sure you can. The fact that outliers exist doesn't mean black culture isn't a thing.
“Black culture” outside of the United States and Africa is very different and to generalize it as something that applies to people of color in the whole world is wrong.

In South America for example, people of color, who migrated from Africa before the revolution against Spain, integrated their stories of pain and suffering into the culture of the countries that were just forming, and nothing refers Africa in the songs or myths; we all united against the common enemy that was Spain and feel members of the same country.
I have honestly never seen a black person from Brazil or Peru referencing Africa or the international “black culture” that is so prevalent here in the USA. There are many race tensions and systematic discrimination in South America, but the points of contention are vastly different and people in the USA trying to assume their riots are a message that is valid outside of the United States are wrong.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
“Black culture” outside of the United States and Africa is very different and to generalize it as something that applies to people of color in the whole world is wrong.

In South America for example, people of color, who migrated from Africa before the revolution against Spain, integrated their stories of pain and suffering into the culture of the countries that were just forming, and nothing refers Africa in the songs or myths; we all united against the common enemy that was Spain and feel members of the same country.
I have honestly never seen a black person from Brazil or Peru referencing Africa or the international “black culture” that is so prevalent here in the USA. There are many race tensions and systematic discrimination in South America, but the points of contention are vastly different and people in the USA trying to assume their riots are a message that is valid outside of the United States are wrong.
Fair enough. Black American culture then?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
Fair enough. Black American culture then?
Maybe, I don’t know. You should ask someone who is black and American how they feel about those terms. I am just saying that at the very least they don’t apply to people of color from South America.