• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Boba Fett |OT| Sarlaac Spit-Up

I so wish we got the Trevorrow movie.

The whole idea of More Valium, this Dark Side teacher that was basically like an eldritch abomination Dark Side Yoda, sounded so freaking awesome. Just that alone makes up for so much imo.

TorValum.jpg

I seriously hope they end using him in a future or even episode of one the Star Wars shows. He seemingly was the one who taught Darth Plagueis even.

My guess is if he does appear, it'll be in The Acolyte, which I'm also guessing will feature Darth Plagueis.

Last edited:
Cad Bane was incredible, first time seeing the character. Extremly frigthening presence and you could feel the mastery in the gunsliging.
I have never seen Clone Wars, but I knew about Cad Bane and I said to myself "Cad Bane?" as he walking up to Freeport.

He's such a badass.

I really hope they don't do him dirty snd get him killed or beat up by a 16 year old girl or something dumb.

fec733402668ba8fcf227caa42055e05.gif

Ionian

Cad Bane was incredible, first time seeing the character. Extremly frigthening presence and you could feel the mastery in the gunsliging.

I remember the Clone Bane Episodes with him in them being pretty good when I saw, could be worth checking them out. They nailed him in this show anyway from what I remember, there's a list here.

Here's all the scenes on their own;

I watched them ages ago but he mostly has single episodes which an arc going over them.

Romulus

They did a video explaining how Mark Hamill helped with the surprise Luke appearance in Mando.

Okay, now I want to understand how this was done. I don't care about the first time around, that was trash by comparison outside of the actual fight scene.

Ionian

Ahh Boba shoots Cad Bane in an unfinished episode when the shelved the last season of The Clone Wars (so not spoiler as it's not canon). Wasn't used when they did finally finish up the season when Disney took over so who knows where it goes as he's being introduced to a new audience, no doubt with a changed story.

They did a video explaining how Mark Hamill helped with the surprise Luke appearance in Mando.

Okay, now I want to understand how this was done. I don't care about the first time around, that was trash by comparison outside of the actual fight scene.

Pretty sure we'll see it in the Making of after the show completes. They did hire the guy that did the best deepfakes on youtube, so that explains the improvement. Luke's voice is also AI generated (as it was in Mando S2 finale).

The way Deepfake and AI technology is getting cheaper and evolving - both visual and audio - we'll get to a point where these companies can keep these characters forever without having to worry about the talent aging out or dying. Basically what happens in the comics. Remember they DO own the likeness to those characters, not the actors that portrayed them. What I do worry about is how the actors and their heirs will get compensated in the future for their likeness being used. We are at the point where they technically did not have to use Mark Hamill to do a young Luke (they did anyways, but they didn't have to). I'm of the opinion Mark should still be compensated for his likeness being used even if he didn't perform the role. These types of contracts are probably being signed NOW, but weren't there previously.

They did hire the guy that did the best deepfakes on youtube, so that explains the improvement. Luke's voice is also AI generated (as it was in Mando S2 finale).
Disney gets poop pooped on a lot and for good reasons but if they actually hired that YouTube guy who improved on the Mando S2 Luke, gotta give them mad props for that.

That is pretty cool giving some guy (or maybe kid) some work with Disney and probably a modest paycheck too.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They're likely going to end with a Seven Samurai type setup. All the good gunslingers on one side, one bad gunslinger on the other side, community support from the Jawas and that Free Town.

YCoCg

I thought this was only six episodes, I waited until six was out and binged it all, ...now I'm waiting like a pleb 🥲

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They're likely going to end with a Seven Samurai type setup. All the good gunslingers on one side, one bad gunslinger on the other side, community support from the Jawas and that Free Town.

This is 1000% gonna happen and its gonna be great if only to see Kranstan beat the shit out of more people. I'm a simple man.

MrMephistoX

G
I so wish we got the Trevorrow movie.

The whole idea of More Valium, this Dark Side teacher that was basically like an eldritch abomination Dark Side Yoda, sounded so freaking awesome. Just that alone makes up for so much imo.

TorValum.jpg

I seriously hope they end using him in a future or even episode of one the Star Wars shows. He seemingly was the one who taught Darth Plagueis even.

My guess is if he does appear, it'll be in The Acolyte, which I'm also guessing will feature Darth Plagueis.
Someone actually made a comic out of the Duel of the Fates script…I read it and wow it’s sad we didn’t get that. I would have forgiven a 100% CGI Leia to replace Carrie if we got that film. After last nights episode of Boba I’d be down with a deepfake sequel.

ManaByte

Someone actually made a comic out of the Duel of the Fates script…I read it and wow it’s sad we didn’t get that. I would have forgiven a 100% CGI Leia to replace Carrie if we got that film. After last nights episode of Boba I’d be down with a deepfake sequel.
The mental gymnastics on the YouTube Star Wars hate channels to trash that movie would've been something to see.

How Rey was used in Duel of the Fates was probably the closest to the George Sequel Trilogy concept of her. She was never ever meant to be the offspring of anyone important. Snow Girl/Kira (in the George Ep7 and the Arndt draft she was from a snow planet) was always an orphan who found an ADOPTIVE family through the course of the trilogy to show that family is more than just blood as George spent two decades raising three kids he adopted, two of which were girls. Rey Solana is much closer to the original idea for Snow Girl/Kira. JJ did do the "she finds an adoptive family" by taking the Skywalker name, but he had to go and make her a Palpatine, which went against the George concept of showing the strength of an adoptive family over bloodlines.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The mental gymnastics on the YouTube Star Wars hate channels to trash that movie would've been something to see.

How Rey was used in Duel of the Fates was probably the closest to the George Sequel Trilogy concept of her. She was never ever meant to be the offspring of anyone important. Snow Girl/Kira (in the George Ep7 and the Arndt draft she was from a snow planet) was always an orphan who found an ADOPTIVE family through the course of the trilogy to show that family is more than just blood as George spent two decades raising three kids he adopted, two of which were girls. Rey Solana is much closer to the original idea for Snow Girl/Kira. JJ did do the "she finds an adoptive family" by taking the Skywalker name, but he had to go and make her a Palpatine, which went against the George concept of showing the strength of an adoptive family over bloodlines.
Mental gymnastics?

The sequel trilogy is utter garbage, starting with Ep 7. It has no redeeming value whatsoever in terms of being a part of the Star Wars saga actually written by the creator. The original characters are completely destroyed and made fools of, and the entire things undoes the first six movies. It's bizarre and nonsensical, but of course, this doesn't need to be rehashed.

It doesn't really matter what the third movie would have ended up being. The series was already off the rails from the start and The Last Jedi totally killed the entire franchise. Nobody really cares about Star Wars anymore. I know I don't. I think the only thing that requires mental gymnastics is thinking there is any semblance of quality or life left in the whole thing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I rewatched the episode again, and I thought it was a great visual when Ashoka is asking Din whether Grogu is a foundling or a padawan how the screen is divided between them right down the middle. Din is in the foreground, drawing closer to Grogu but uncertain as Ashoka explains how his going to meet Grogu would only make things more difficult for him. She approaches Din, symbolic of these two opposing religions coming together, then appears surprised but also relieved that he decides to let her deliver the gift. So essentially Din was the one being tested here.

Later Ashoka is together with Luke, reveals the gift, and asks Luke what he thinks of Grogu - what will he do about him? So now it's Luke's turn to be tested. And Luke, apparently in the opposite direction of Din, delivers a black and white ultimatum to Grogu.

It makes me wonder. Are the writers actually revealing that Din and Luke are the ones being tested, as they are pretty blunt in pointing out that both Din and Luke are different sides of the same coin: father figures offering protection to Grogu (Luke even straight up says as much via spoken exposition), but going about it in different ways. Or, are we being fooled and Luke is testing Grogu - he realizes that Grogu should choose the armor, and if he doesn't he isn't right to be a Jedi. I think Ashoka's smiling comment "So much like your father..." might be a hint towards this conclusion - she's pointing out that Luke isn't as dogmatic and firm as he might appear to be at first glance.

I'm probably just high and reading far too much into a simple Star Wars story, but man is it fun to speculate. What a beautifully shot episode.

MrMephistoX

TLJ pays off with Luke as a force ghost taunting Kylo and they planned to set half the movie on Coruscant with the Jedi temple to actually tie it back to the prequels…I can’t believe I’m saying this as someone who really didn’t like Jurassic World. I kind of hope they do a CGI What If style show like Marvel and film this. I actually loved the Dark Horse series where they retconned the endings of ANH ESB and ROTJ.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Finally watched it. It was amazing. I’m stunned by the last two episodes. Greatest turn around of a show in the history of TV.
That’s literally because they are Mando Episodes. I’m standing by my theory that they had a very tight series that could have been done in like 4 episodes and padded it out with filler…although if I’m being fair the worst Episode is 3 but the rest of the series is good to now great.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Might be controversial to say but Ludwig has been knocking it out of the park music wise to the point where it's easily eclipsed anything John Williams has done for the ST.

RAÏSanÏa

Might be controversial to say but Ludwig has been knocking it out of the park music wise to the point where it's easily eclipsed anything John Williams has done for the ST.
The Mandalorian theme matches the Imperial March for memorability and recaptured the tone of Star Wars in a unique way for this era while keeping the og motif. All through his work too, but that Mandalorian Theme is the new Imperial March for me.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Mental gymnastics?

The sequel trilogy is utter garbage, starting with Ep 7. It has no redeeming value whatsoever in terms of being a part of the Star Wars saga actually written by the creator. The original characters are completely destroyed and made fools of, and the entire things undoes the first six movies. It's bizarre and nonsensical, but of course, this doesn't need to be rehashed.

It doesn't really matter what the third movie would have ended up being. The series was already off the rails from the start and The Last Jedi totally killed the entire franchise. Nobody really cares about Star Wars anymore. I know I don't. I think the only thing that requires mental gymnastics is thinking there is any semblance of quality or life left in the whole thing.

Not to mention, given Disney's infamous level of interference with creators and the fact that the original writer/director of ep 9 actually bailed precisely because of it, there's zero (hell, negative value) reason for anyone to believe that the movie would have even ended up following that original screenplay if it had been made.

What will save the series for me in the last episode.

Bobba goes rage mode for the exploding cafe and finally starts being a badass.
He straps on suicide bomb vests to the biker gang and makes them go al quada on their enemies.
That blue guy doesn't die.

dan76

Pretty good episode. I've never watched the Clone Wars or any SW outside of the films and Mando, so Cad Bane means nothing to me - but it was a cool introduction to another bounty hunter, so it worked.

Deepfake Luke was amazing, I hope they go back and update the last season 2 episode of Mando. They also got his character right, he wasn't too serious, had some humour. Grogu jumping around looked a bit ridiculous, but then again it was supposed to be funny, wasn't it?

The last few episodes have been much better, I will say I still think it's worth watching from episode 4 onwards. Episode 4 sets up the coming war and is a better introduction to all the characters. The first 3 episodes a null and void after 4. What a waste. This is such an uneven show, but at least it's on an upswing.

ManaByte

original writer/director of ep 9 actually bailed precisely because of it

Trevarrow bailed because he couldn't figure out how to make Duel of the Fates work without Leia. If you read the script you could see why. She wasn't just repurposed CG footage from The Force Awakens in it.

Had the Luke tech they used in Boba existed then, they could've done it though. In TROS they just spliced dialog from TFA for Leia, for Luke they're using an AI dialog tool to generate his lines, which they didn't have when Duel was going to be made. If they did, they could've done the Leia parts pretty easily.

Last edited:

NickFire

That’s literally because they are Mando Episodes. I’m standing by my theory that they had a very tight series that could have been done in like 4 episodes and padded it out with filler…although if I’m being fair the worst Episode is 3 but the rest of the series is good to now great.
Im calling 6 a Luke and Grogu episode instead of a mando one. And I want 30 more of them. Maybe 60.

Ionian

Trevarrow bailed because he couldn't figure out how to make Duel of the Fates work without Leia. If you read the script you could see why. She wasn't just repurposed CG footage from The Force Awakens in it.

Had the Luke tech they used in Boba existed then, they could've done it though. In ROTS they just spliced dialog from TFA for Leia, for Luke they're using an AI dialog tool to generate his lines, which they didn't have when Duel was going to be made. If they did, they could've done the Leia parts pretty easily.

Didn't they say something about Carrie Fisher not being replaced or CGI'd and then did? (Christ, those training scenes were awful).

Trev backing out rather than being let go is news to me, what a shame. If he did back out I'm sure it haunts him the money that he lost. Could have a jedi soap-on-a-rope like Abram's and buy another villa.

Still if he said he wouldn't do it rather then be fired, respect for that as the news at the time was Disney dropped him after his last film failed. Disney is all over the place with the franchise.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Didn't they say something about Carrie Fisher not being replaced or CGI'd and then did? (Christ, those training scenes were awful).

Yes another JJ "Cumberbatch isn't Khan" lie. They said it would be unused TFA footage and not CG when it was entirely CG. Just like he lied about using "Practical effects" in TFA when there isn't a single model shot in the entire movie and it uses more CG than the Prequels (and Phantom Menace used more models than the entire OT).

Trev backing out rather than being let go is news to me, what a shame. If he did back out I'm sure it haunts him the money that he lost. Could have a jedi soap-on-a-rope like Abraham's and buy another villa.

Still if he said he wouldn't do it rather then be fired, respect for that as teh news at the time was Disney dropped him after his last film failed. Disney is all over the place with the franchise.

He wasn't fired. It was a amicable split because he just couldn't figure out how to make the movie work without Leia in it. The result was JJ Abrams letting Reddit/YouTube comments write the third movie.

Batiman

Banned
Awesome episode. Didn’t hate the first three episodes, but these last two were great. It’s funny how Mando has become a loved character already.

I guess it's me, but the Mando S2 Luke looks more like Luke than the Boba Fett one.

Even when I was watching the episode, I felt like something was a little off. His face looks too clean or even "feminine" for lack of a better way of putting it.

It's still great what they accomplished.

Top Bottom