• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Boba Fett |OT| Sarlaac Spit-Up

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Skipped episodes 1-4 and watched 5-6. Timothy Olyphant dropping eye contact to look away in every gunslinger showdown was triggering me something fierce. The Darksaber weight had presentation issues, and it didn't make much sense for Mando to use it in a duel seconds after showing how awkward he was wielding the weapon in training. Use your normal weapons, then. As for Luke, all that old ways no attachment stuff was never part of Luke's training so it's unclear why he would care about it now. He had plenty of attachments in RotJ.

Each episode is ~10 minutes too long. Padding with stares, slow talking, Amy Sedaris rambling, meandering shots.

Ulysses 31

Skipped episodes 1-4 and watched 5-6. Timothy Olyphant dropping eye contact to look away in every gunslinger showdown was triggering me something fierce. The Darksaber weight had presentation issues, and it didn't make much sense for Mando to use it in a duel seconds after showing how awkward he was wielding the weapon in training. Use your normal weapons, then. As for Luke, all that old ways no attachment stuff was never part of Luke's training so it's unclear why he would care about it now. He had plenty of attachments in RotJ.

Each episode is ~10 minutes too long. Padding with stares, slow talking, Amy Sedaris rambling, meandering shots.
Wait what? Didn't you want to see the Sand People, who tried to kill Luke in ANH and tortured Shmi Skywalker so much that she ended up dying in AOTC, be portrayed as sympathetic?!?!? :lollipop_thescream:

As for Luke, all that old ways no attachment stuff was never part of Luke's training so it's unclear why he would care about it now. He had plenty of attachments in RotJ.
Star Wars Jedi GIF by erichamlet

He read it in a book.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fett as an underworld ringleader reminds me of Yakuza's take on yakuza. There's barely any selling drugs or collecting bad debts in Yakuza games; you just fight thugs while vaguely being an outlaw yourself. Its whitewashed. Best part was when Fennec was like "b-but we can make serious credits selling that shit" LOL

420bits

This entire series was dumb, it had potential, it had some cool moments but the last episode was so retarded it makes a spinoff with the scoot-fluencers seem like a great idea.

Disney should take two steps back and fuck their own faces.

Can't wait for grogu to ruin the next season of mandalorian by doing "cute things" to sell merch.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Hmmm. I see where you mean. I see the S with a line through it but it's still grayed out. I must be doing something wrong.
You don't want an "s with a line through it". You want to click one of the "three vertical dot" icons and then you'll be lead to the spoiler button which looks like an eyeball.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have very fond memories of From Dusk Til Dawn, but I haven't seen it in 20 years. But damn.

Ionian

Just watched the last one. I actually enjoyed The rancor parts was great. That and the Wookie parts. Even Boba redeemed himself after the terrible early episodes. Looks like they spent a fortune on it, the CGI was really impressive.

Last three episodes are pure Star Wars. Was surprised Cad Bane got knocked off that way and where is the sheriff?

Worthy of a watch for anyone on the fence, it's pure action and mostly all of the cast get their moments. Leaves the story open to the next Mando.

Ionian

I have very fond memories of From Dusk Til Dawn, but I haven't seen it in 20 years. But damn.

I remember watching 'From Dusk Til Dawn' when it was released as a rental. Once the vampire shit started I noped out. Just had no interest.

Was worth it for the Selma Heyak dance though with the snake. Tarantino licking her feet. Then VAMPIRES!

Just turned it off.

SCReuter

Finale was underwhelming, and I blame it on Robert Rodriguez's directing. Whenever he's at the helm, the show becomes cheesy, cheap, and sloppy. My least favorite episodes of the Book of Boba Fett and the Mandalorian have all been directed by him.

I still enjoyed the season, but I'm hoping Rodriguez takes a step back from the Star Wars director's chair.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Finale was underwhelming, and I blame it on Robert Rodriguez's directing. Whenever he's at the helm, the show becomes cheesy, cheap, and sloppy. My least favorite episodes of the Book of Boba Fett and the Mandalorian have all been directed by him.

I still enjoyed the season, but I'm hoping Rodriguez takes a step back from the Star Wars director's chair.
He's too cheap. He is perfect for these filler streaming series. Disney seems to only have 1 mainseries at a time so they are FAAAAR behind most of the others. RR is the perfect guy to deliver semi competent stuff fast and cheap, that is his trademark. I expect we'll a lot more from him.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I remember watching 'From Dusk Til Dawn' when it was released as a rental. Once the vampire shit started I noped out. Just had no interest.

Was worth it for the Selma Heyak dance though with the snake. Tarantino licking her feet. Then VAMPIRES!

Just turned it off.
It does change drastically at the midpoint. I was 17 when it came out so I thought it was great.

Ionian

It does change drastically at the midpoint. I was 17 when it came out so I thought it was great.

Might give it another shot so. I would have been only a few years older than yourself and I have time for horror but just felt like a curve-ball to me and didn't care about the twist. I knew nothing about it before and probably had something else to do, just didn't interest me.

Was probably incredibly stoned and decided I sleep was better. Back in the days when you had to deliver the film back the next day though a post-box at the front of the rental place. Then another friend rceommended me 'Idle Hands' when we were tripping balls on Exctasy. Have never let him forget about that. Dog Soldiers was another, left a mates place to go back home. A long walk but we had taken micro-dots and the SOAD poster was freaking me out.

Never drop a haul of micro-dots on a dirty carpet and try to find them whilst tripping. Pro-advice right there.

dorkimoe

Oh fuck, must have lemme look again. I remember somebody warning earlier in the thread.

Don't recognize who it the character is though? It Cad? Dude is white so can't be Thrawn or Cade.
yeah i had to google it, was hard to recognize who it was.

Was I the only one cheering for Cade lol. I want a violent badass show not Boba being a softy

dan76

Where are the Irving Kirshners of the world that understand Star Wars and can direct.
Irving Kirshner understood what makes a good film first - you know, plot, character, cinematography, editing - it wasn't enough that it was just Star Wars. Those days a long gone.

This finale was basically one long boring action set piece. Inept is the word. What a waste of time. Still, we got two half good episodes of The Mandalorian.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Probably the biggest issue I have with the show is it pretty much ruins the mystique of boba fett. He was not portrayed as a bad ass character in this show.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Robert Rodriguez can’t direct for shit. Each of his episodes were just wooden, clumsy, amateurish and aggravating to watch. Bryce Dallas Howard and Dave Filoni run rings around this guy, and it’s shit that Robert was the one directing the finale.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This show was a real mixed bag. It wasn't without any redeeming value but the whole thing was clumsy and fell short of my expectations, especially after how good Mandalorian was.

The best parts were Mando Season 2.5 stuff. A lot of the action was silly and cartoony. The premise itself didn't make much sense, it seems to me Fett didn't even WANT Jabba's old job. Like maybe he should have taken the job of the mayor instead, and then cleaned up everyone that was like Jabba. He didn't want to be a crime lord, so why take over a criminal organization? The motive shifted from (supposedly) control of smuggling money to protecting the people of Tatooine. TBH I don't even understand why Fett gives a crap about Tatooine in the first place. Beyond the already dead Tusken Raiders that "saved" him lol.

What really brought this show over the edge from tolerable SW filler to actively bad was the cyberpunk speeder bike gang. My god they were so horrible. It pains me that I can't watch the awesome Luke part in ep6 without it cutting to the scene with them around the holo table, to force a reminder what I'm really watching.

It had some good parts and a lot of fan service, but it eventually came across as layering on fan service to cheaply cover a lame show. As someone who was a fan of Boba Fett since the old days and liked his parts in the bounty hunter/jabba's palace books, I don't think they did him justice here. Disney wanted him to be a "good guy" with Jabba's job I guess...somehow.

That being said, I can at least watch it and respect its place in the story, unlike the sequel trilogy which simply doesn't exist in my personal canon at all lol.

Romulus

Probably the biggest issue I have with the show is it pretty much ruins the mystique of boba fett. He was not portrayed as a bad ass character in this show.

Yeah it hurt the character much more than helped it. I wanted to learn more about him and it ended up being hes just a fat goof thats not really good at anything except having a great voice.

Last edited:

JCK75

Final ep was fun, it needed something to happen and I guess they saved it all for the last ep.
Overall it was meh but not horrible (well come eps were horrible but..)

my biggest gripe is actually the Tusken Raider story line..
OK Boba you care about the people in your town but also care about the Tuskens, who would rob/murder/enslave the people of your town.. the who idea we had to turn them into the noble savage is just kind of annoying..
now remake Captain Phillips but make the somali pirates the heroes.

NickFire

My prediction is that Grogu will teach Luke that it does not have to be one or the other, and Luke will recall how his attachments saved the galaxy (for a while). Grogu becomes the next Mandalorian Jedi, and Luke uses those lessons to teach Leia and Ben later. It will not work out like he hoped of course.

I want Luke and Leia as a show in the next round. They have the tech. Get it done.

Yeah it hurt the character much more than helped it. I wanted to learn more about him and it ended up being hes just a fat goof thats not really good at anything except having a great voice.
They replaced his character with The Mandalorian. He's just a generic Disney character now.

iorek21

Show had some good moments but most of them had Mando, Cad and Grogu involved while Boba felt like a second thought. If it weren't for these characters, I think this show would've been a waste of time.

It was fun, but pointless.

Ionian

The biggest problem for me was the lack of Boba Fett as a bad-ass. This was pointed out by other posters.

Coming in on a Ranchor though was glorious. It didn't make much sense but looked great for me and I thought was very well done.

It was pew pew pew. Added nothing really to Star Wars for Boba but was actually awesome to watch as the Ranchor goes down in a fight with him at the helm like 'King Kong' or 'Godzilla'.

Seems to me they dropped the ball but at least it looked nice for an ending. They seemed to go all out on the last one.

I have a new hope for the new series of Mando. And Skywalker looked amazing throughout. (For me, anyway).

Thaedolus

Well, it was pretty meh overall but I’ll take the Mando stuff. Obi-wan is the most hype I’ve been for a Star Wars show yet though, glad it’ll be out soon

jason10mm

Gold Member
Been sitting on this joke for like a week now so it's a bit stale, let's see if the image posting is fixed.

The fantasy mash-up I wanna see...

WPckj79.jpg

Success!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The more I think about it, the more awful it is. I feel the same about The Mandolorian. Idk why I want to like this stuff so badly and I have a hard time understanding the appeal. These shows feel like saturday morning cartoons.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I haven't been watching this show, but seeing the clips of deepfaked Luke was the first time that I felt the tech had arrived. It was the strangest feeling to see the Luke of my childhood on screen like that, felt fully real (well, they still need a little work on the voice synth & its syncing, but that seems quite achieveable with a bit more effort).

I actually would watch a film or series with an entirely deepfaked character like that, if of course I could be assured that they wouldn't ruin the character in some way. It opens up amazing if somewhat disquieting possibilities for old franchises.

Top Bottom