• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys S2 arrives Sept 4th!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Damn show is woke as fuck. Stormfront is trans what the FUCK? Can't believe Butcher said Black Lives Matter after he got introduced into the show. Show is complete garbage now. Ugh.

Nah just kidding shit is fire. A woman getting her head blown clean off her shoulders wouldn't happen in a woke show. Can't believe y'all were worried. About to start up episode 3.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
That, um, explosive moment in the first episode.

I literally almost dropped my tablet. In disgust or shock, I’m not sure, lol.

I feel pretty positive about the first episode. Nothing big is happening, it’s more just the world of ‘The Boys’, for right now, but that’s fascinating enough to make for an entertaining episode.

mortal

Gold Member
lol I'm guessing Stormfront is named after the white supremacist message board?

I recall reading that about her character in the lead up to S2, but I wasn't so sure until her "fucking yellow bastard" line whew.

lol I'm guessing Stormfront is named after the white supremacist message board?

I recall reading that about her character in the lead up to S2, but I wasn't so sure until her "fucking yellow bastard" line whew.

Did you notice
She has only killed minorities so far, 4 black people for no reason
. Generally tho she is gonna be a good character that you love to hate.

mortal

Gold Member
Did you notice
She has only killed minorities so far, 4 black people for no reason
. Generally tho she is gonna be a good character that you love to hate.
Considering how reckless Homelander was, I just assumed she was another reckless and violent super human.
I'm not familiar with the comics so I just learned she's actually a gender swapped version of the Stormfront in the comics, but less overtly Nazi.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Considering how reckless Homelander was, I just assumed she was another reckless and violent super human.
I'm not familiar with the comics so I just learned she's actually a gender swapped version of the Stormfront in the comics, but less overtly Nazi.

it's kind of hacky they gave her the white supremacist haircut, and gave her the american flag arm bands, they're getting ready to beat you over the head that America is racist and white supremacist. but i guess the writers may have just been forced into a corner cause having her have nazi symbols like the comic would look stupid as hell.

nkarafo

First 3 eps didn’t seem woke, but I can see it knocking at the door
So far i felt the wokeness was treated as it should. The whole girl power thing being treated as a corporate PR (which it is), the "different able" hero also being for PR and having his whole career ended at the same time, how the strong, independent woman with the woke girl power message is also a hardcore nazi...

I don't think a woke person would be happy with all these.

kingbean

I didn't get any wokeness out of the show. Maybe I don't read into it like some people do.

I'm only half way into episode 1 of season 2 and I'm enjoying it so far.

I didn't get any wokeness out of the show. Maybe I don't read into it like some people do.

I'm only half way into episode 1 of season 2 and I'm enjoying it so far.

Yeah I feel the same. There were moments of it coming and then homelander and even stormfront smacked it down.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just watched ha;f of season 1 and will watch the rest maybe tonight. Good show.

Only annoying thing so far is the PR person coming in every 20 minutes talking about ratings and demographic appeal. I can understand the show doing it to set up the satirical corporate setting in the first few episodes, but gets repetitive and annoying after a while.

Teslerum

People calling everything woke immediately is getting to same levels of sjws getting triggered by every little thing. No fucking middleground anymore.

To be fair interviews prior to Season 2's release implied lots of wokeness. That's were the skepticism came from.

That hasn't come to pass and already quite a few people that were skeptical have said so.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Finished season 1. Liked it.

On the surface, this franchise seems weird. A satirical take on Superheroes, corporate greed, blood, probably 98% of the show is serious, cheesy costumes and hero names, but somehow it pulls it off.

On paper, it sounds like a disaster trying to blend in too much, but it works.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s definitely woke, and a part of that entire culture, but it’s 2020, and the entire film and TV industry is mind-virused.

You take what you can get, in terms of entertainment, if it’s not completely obnoxious. As far as woke goes, this is at least a lot more subtle for now, and is an entertaining show in a lot of other ways, as well as having some actual sensible social commentary (supers are basically celebrities; this world’s sick pop culture is essentially ours through a distorted mirror) that hits.

Have been reading through the comics and the storylines of the series vs the books are allover the place but appear to work quite well

Im pretty sure that they have stuck with
Black Noir is Homelanders clone and he was the one that raped butchers wife...Black Noir also Kills Homelander in the comics and butcher kills Black Noir

Be interesting to see what they adapt from the books as there is alot of fucked up shit

I'll keep watching for Homelander, Karl Urban and Stormfront, who did nothing wrong. I guess A-Train has potential too. Everything else was a waste of time, despite Deep's actor being really good.
Looks like it's a classic case of showrunners disappearing up their own asshole after being renewed for season 2. See Mr. Robot for another horrible example.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
everytime i look at the deep, all i see is thestradman from youtube

The-Boys-Teaser-The-Deep.jpg

thestradman-selling-cars.jpg

RedVIper

Banned
The show looked like it was going to be woke but it just denied it in the same episode.

Stormfront whole "who gives a shit if I'm a girl" thing and calling out the PR stunts is anything but woke.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Has the Butcher focused "what he was doing" mini movie/cut episode surfaced anywhere yet? I thought it was due before the main season. I swear I posted about it too, but that could have been a fever dream.

Edit: Somewhere around the middle of season 2.

Last edited:
I'll keep watching for Homelander, Karl Urban and Stormfront, who did nothing wrong. I guess A-Train has potential too. Everything else was a waste of time, despite Deep's actor being really good.
Looks like it's a classic case of showrunners disappearing up their own asshole after being renewed for season 2. See Mr. Robot for another horrible example.
i had high hopes for season 2 and then they spent more time being stylish instead of telling a coherent story

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Am I the only one who skips most of the scenes that aren’t of the boys
In my case all of the scenes with The Deep make me roll my eyes. Not to mention I'm very much against
killing whales
in real life so his latest scene was pretty tough to watch.

Episodes 1 and 2 were pretty slow, the story finally picked up in episode 3.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Homelander never ceases to freak me out.
Easily the weirdest character. No doubt selfish and evil most of the time. But sometimes tries to have a good heart. Although most of the over the top things he does could be argued he's just emotionless and ignorant as opposed to having a methodically evil intent.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

So far a good new season. Homelander is such a badass character that I'd happily just watch him doing hes missions and antics with Stormfront. Crazy that I didn't recognize the actor playing Homelander as Antony Starr from Banshee. Hes like a completely different actor here. Such an awesome casting choices with all the cast. The plot itself is nothing write home about but the execution of the show in all more then makes up it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So far a good new season. Homelander is such a badass character that I'd happily just watch him doing hes missions and antics with Stormfront. Crazy that I didn't recognize the actor playing Homelander as Antony Starr from Banshee. Hes like a completely different actor here. Such an awesome casting choices with all the cast. The plot itself is nothing write home about but the execution of the show in all more then makes up it.
I'm assuming more plotlines are coming, but so far Deep, Black Noir and the Japanese mute are useless. They could get rid of them and still have a coherent plot.

(I didn't read the comics though, so maybe there are big plots coming involving them).

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Unless that Deep character picks up, he's dragging the show down. His dopey side side story is a distraction vs. the main plot and characters.
His whole character arc is that he's a fucking loser who is trying to crawl his way back to the top while also dunking on him for being Aquaman who was also shit on for years until DC made him BAMF in the last decade or so. There must be a point to the show focusing on him. 🙄

Easily the weirdest character. No doubt selfish and evil most of the time. But sometimes tries to have a good heart. Although most of the over the top things he does could be argued he's just emotionless and ignorant as opposed to having a methodically evil intent.
Pushing someone off a building isn't exactly an act that someone with a "good heart" would do. lol.

?? He tries to have a good heart? When? WtF?

Top Bottom