• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys: Season 2 Tackles White Supremacy, Systemic Racism

The two main leads are white men, and again, Homelander being set up as the villain was RIGHT THERE in season 1, dude was a creep with mommy issues but took the "All American Hero" to his head for the country and God. The season even ended with him giving into his power role and turn into a villain behind closed doors whilst wanting to maintain his image for his loyal Middle American fan base. What direction were most of you expecting this show to take?

I wasn’t specifically referring to this show but meant in general as far as many shows are starting to go.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Oh so it's a white woman playing the new character? Damn. Either way Homelander does need to be reeled in ASAP otherwise this show would be trash, how would they even compete? (Outside of them doing things in the comics I ain't mentioning for spoiler reasons.) Them making his competition a woman is a little bit telling but it might be done well. Only time will tell and if it ends up like WestWorld I'll just bounce.

Wouldn’t write it off just yet on the woke angle....it’s possible to have a good story and still have the white supremacy angle although history does tell us that when someone starts pushing the woke train along before something releases it’s usually gonna suck

I like the idea of a rogue black homelander type character to counter him as that’s probably the only way you could actually kill him

But I do hope they keep he dolphin rape and c4 enemas in the mix

tenor.gif

The parts from the comics are still in there but in a jumbled sort of way from memory so if it plays out in a similar sort of way I’m guessing

they are going to have black noir be the secret clone of homelander and instead of the angles of necrophilia and cannibalism it will be killing black people

oagboghi2

It's a great show, yes there are some themes woven in there but the ground was set in season one for this direction, it honestly feels like a lot of people here didn't pay attention to the plot or ignored it on purpose, or even, most likely, want an excuse to continue hating on something that even has a slight sliver of "woke" in it.
"Oh no people aren't excited to watch left wing propaganda preach and lecture about evil whitey, and evil capatalism and evil America and blah dee fucking blah."

It's always the same old shit with you people. "White supremacy" is not interesting anymore. It's boring and predictable

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Isn't there a
Nazi version of the Homelander that they get tangled up with? His name is Stormfront
so maybe that is what they refer to when mentioning nationalism.

YCoCg

"Oh no people aren't excited to watch left wing propaganda preach and lecture about evil whitey, and evil capatalism and evil America and blah dee fucking blah."

It's always the same old shit with you people. "White supremacy" is not interesting anymore. It's boring and predictable
But Season One already had this and there's plenty of people in this thread who enjoyed that but are now angry at this news???

buizel

Banned
It had its moments, but I criticized it heavily in the official thread. All the male characters are continuously emasculated for sport, and The Boys really don’t accomplish much themselves.

Yeah it kinda seemed all over the place.

I just remembered A Train ran fast through a girl because hes addicted to drugs? Did that story go anywhere? I know that was the original reason for main character to have a purpose to join 'the boys'. also that feral wild cannibal girl got turned into manic pixie girl pretty fast.

starlight is a much better character for the audience surrogate, but we barely saw any of her. did she turn into an evil whore yet? i should just read the wiki.

YCoCg

starlight is a much better character for the audience surrogate, but we barely saw any of her. did she turn into an evil whore yet?
Season One ended on a cliffhanger after she confronts A-Train and he starts to have a heart attack.

And Picard was supposed to be about Trump and Brexit. It still turned out shit but the marketing was way off so I'll reserve judgement until the first or second episodes.

oagboghi2

But Season One already had this and there's plenty of people in this thread who enjoyed that but are now angry at this news???
Did they enjoy that, or did they put up with it because their are other elements of the show they liked?

And this news is just signaling that what they liked will be lessened, and what they they rolled their eyes at before will just increase.

It seems like damn near every new show over the last few years tries to integrate contemporary issues into their stories in a heavy handed on the nose way.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend was watching some new show, I forget which one, but they all have the same pseudo woke archetypes. Oh here comes the old white guy boss that's going to say something in appropriate about his attractive co worker. Oh cool, here's the gay person that hasn't come out yet. Sweet! Another almost fourth wall breaking reference to something from last months headlines!

Armorian

Banned
It seems like damn near every new show over the last few years tries to integrate contemporary issues into their stories in a heavy handed on the nose way.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend was watching some new show, I forget which one, but they all have the same pseudo woke archetypes. Oh here comes the old white guy boss that's going to say something in appropriate about his attractive co worker. Oh cool, here's the gay person that hasn't come out yet. Sweet! Another almost fourth wall breaking reference to something from last months headlines!

I just finished Umbrella Academy (and I think it's great) and interestingly the most "evil" character there was black woman, they didn't get the memo :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Compsiox

Banned
This show is disturbing. I did not think it would be at all.

The whole show is just the downsides of real life superpowers in every aspect of life.

I watched a man eating ass get his head crushed in. Fucking bizarre man.

GeorgPrime

Banned
This show is disturbing. I did not think it would be at all.

The whole show is just the downsides of real life superpowers in every aspect of life.

I watched a man eating ass get his head crushed in. Fucking bizarre man.

Its the "Loser Patrol" xD

Davey Cakes

If anything, Season 2 poked fun at woke culture and SJW bullshit. It wasn't even a significant part of the plot.

One of the characters is a
literal Nazi
so some social commentary of this type was to be expected. We can't expect television shows to completely ignore the zeitgeist.

At this point, people are just looking for reasons to hate things.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I mean it was pretty much the same thing in the source material, Stormfront was a racist cunt. This is a nothing burger.

oagboghi2

Watched the 2nd season and glad to see I was right. Boring, predictable and stupid.

But hey, it had a Nazi and she name-dropped pewdiepie. Such amazing social commentary.

Aww, all the snowflakes here got offended before they even watched it? Not surprising.

It was a damn good Season. Best part was when the literal Nazi bitch was getting stomped.
Have some standards.

Davey Cakes

Watched the 2nd season and glad to see I was right. Boring, predictable and stupid.
Glad? You revel in the idea of predicting that you won't like something? You enjoy fulfilling your own prophecies?

It's not a matter of standards. A lot of people find The Boys entertaining, flaws and all. Some consider it middling, others consider it excellent and one of the best shows on TV.

Not everything can be Breaking Bad or The Wire.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I thought it was ok, just a tad wallowing. They need to sort their power levels out though, because they're all over the shop with that stuff in terms of whose tougher than who I mean We saw Stormfront take being lasered by Homelander like it was nothing, yet his son (who should at best be half his strength) apparently was able to carve her up like nothing....

I'm up for more seasons, but I didn't care for the tidy reset everyone's off the hook ending either

Also Hughie... let's be honest that dudes a nebbish charisma vacuum, I buy him as Starlights love interest about a much as I bought Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim having a bunch of eager bitches chasing after him in Vs.The World. Not At All. I'm not saying they needed to cast some supermodel looking dude, but someone with some actual charm to them wouldn't have gone amiss.

Its more of a nihilistic take where everyone is pretty much evil and they poke fun at both sides. For instance the problems with diversity for the sake of diversity haha.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Glad? You revel in the idea of predicting that you won't like something? You enjoy fulfilling your own prophecies?

It's not a matter of standards. A lot of people find The Boys entertaining, flaws and all. Some consider it middling, others consider it excellent and one of the best shows on TV.

Not everything can be Breaking Bad or The Wire.
People can enjoy trash. Nothing wrong with that.

I just don't pretend the trash I like is profound or deep.

Last edited:

Liljagare

People can enjoy trash. Nothing wrong with that.

I just don't pretend the trash I like is profound or deep.

I enjoy the show, and your post.. :)

Homelander is just such a perfect cunt, we all know he going to be allowed to go bonkers next season.

I still enjoy the show, but acknowledge that the quality has gone down a good bit.

Everybody back to square one in the end is kind of lame.

Why did we even watch this season if nothing we have seen had any consequences.

YCoCg

O oagboghi2 just hates anything that dares even joke about the precious right. Even though this entire season poked fun at everything he's here crying before and after about some "woke" propaganda. I'm sure he would've had no issue with all the jokes poked at SJW culture, forced Diversity, etc, but OMG, they joked about right wing stuff too???? This show is too woke SJW propaganda for his mighty taste and he beats his chest, proclaiming proudly that he called it, because he can't take a joke like the people he accuses of not being able to take a joke.

Davey Cakes

I still enjoy the show, but acknowledge that the quality has gone down a good bit.

Everybody back to square one in the end is kind of lame.

Why did we even watch this season if nothing we have seen had any consequences.
The Boys themselves are kind of at square one, plus some character development. I don't think we can just ignore Homelander's son, though. He had his "Gohan moment" so that's going to be important later on.

betrayal

Banned
I think the show has found a good balance. Except for the rather moronic and uninspired main story, I felt that most of the side blows were against SJW and forced diversity.

ESPOMAN

I thought season 2 was just ok. Season 1 was better IMO. I also do not know how Stormfront did not kill any of the normal people in that fight when she zapped them.

Blade2.0

Just finished the second season. GOT DAMN! I loved the finale. Did not see that neuman twist coming. I thought it was that chick they broke out of the aslyum that was popping heads (maybe she'll be the foil for neuman?) Anywho, can't wat for season 3 and Jansen Ackles

bitbydeath

Yeah, I’ve finished it now too. It isn’t woke like this thread was alluding too.

Great season, Umbrella Academy has far better writing and intrigue but still a fun show.

Top Bottom