• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The bright digital future... and Nintendo.

StormCell

Yes, they do. Its just PS4 doesn't have BC.

But, any digital PS1 games I bought, for example, I can download on my PS3, PSP, PS TV or Vita without repurchasing.

For how long do you think Sony will continue PS3 support? When that's done, do you think they will offer some new platform with that support, or will those games just be lost to time? They chose not to have BC support on PS4, so do you imagine the PS5 will suddenly offer PSOne and PS2 BC support? I bet it will just be PS4 BC support...

And just to be clear, this is one of the main reasons I'm pissed with Nintendo. I don't think Sony is actually doing much better in this respect. Microsoft is the one who stands out tome with clear BC support. They're the only ones doing it right so far.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I'll give this a try, though I swear I've gone this route before to no avail.

But I'd rather be wrong and playing games instead of right and without the games.
It's an absolute pain to do it on the console.

If you have chrome get a Plugin called psdl you can search rather than going through the list historically one by one

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

If you have chrome get a Plugin called psdl you can search rather than going through the list historically one by one
I clicked 'Download to all PS3s' via the store website. Checked downstairs and it worked! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I chose to download the Unlock Code again, so maybe that's what did it.

Vawn

Banned
They chose not to have BC support on PS4, so do you imagine the PS5 will suddenly offer PSOne and PS2 BC support?

I guess we will find out soonish. I sure hope so. I think it's stupid that Sony has released 6 PlayStation consoles (counting PSP and Vita) and PS4 is the only one that won't play PS1 games.

TLZ

Banned

Boggles my mind why Playstation doesn't have searching as an obvious option.

Maguro

That is why I will still refuse to buy anything digital. Games need cases and manuals. It's really a shame that this medium changed so much.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
and the wii mode on my wii-u looks worse on my lcd tv than my wii on the crt does
You can use the same AV cable you have for Wii also on Wii U. Trust me, I do this.

Nintendo is a bit quick with this, but this is not a Nintendo problem, this is a digital content problem. You will have the same issues with PS3 and 360 download titles in a couple of years. Due to bc maybe a bit later for 360. Keeping old games downloadable that no one buys anymore just costs money for the console vendor, so they will stop it as soon as they think it does not hurt their image too much anymore.

Yoshi

I can't download X-Men Arcade, The Simpsons Arcade, and TMNT Reshelled.

They didn't do it for "no reason". Sony's licensing agreement for those games ended. So, their licenses got pulled and I can no longer use the games I've legally purchased. They're still sitting installed on my harddrive, even.
That's really interesting, IIRC it does no work like this on Xbox 360. If you have it on your HDD you are good to go. Microsoft also still offers redownloads for old stuff long delisted, such as the E3 demo for Sonic 2006.

Mozza

This shows why in Nintendo's case their new online service is better,you will not lose any games as long as you pay the very low subscription charge,I would imagine the service will move with every future generation of Nintendo's home consoles.

Yoshi

This shows why in Nintendo's case their new online service is better,you will not lose any games as long as you pay the very low subscription charge,I would imagine the service will move with every future generation of Nintendo's home consoles.
Actually, no, it's worse. Because you can only play those games as long as Nintendo is willing to keep the servers for the service running (and accepting Switch). With Wii, you can at least continue playing your games when the service is shut down, as long as your Wii remains functional.

Mozza

Actually, no, it's worse. Because you can only play those games as long as Nintendo is willing to keep the servers for the service running (and accepting Switch). With Wii, you can at least continue playing your games when the service is shut down, as long as your Wii remains functional.

If you are willing to keep all your old consoles lying around,a lot of people just move on to their new machine.

Yoshi

If you are willing to keep all your old consoles lying around,a lot of people just move on to their new machine.
Of course I am. It's an enthusiast forum afterall ;). NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS1, PS2 and a couple of handhelds, it's not cluttering if it's beautiful!

Rodolink

Thats one of the reasons I dont like to buy digitally, nobody can ensure even the internet will exist. But nevertheless not even life on earth is ensured, so even the "possessions" one has, or even oneself are not eternal.
In short, time to back up all your Wii content.

PSFan

Last point: Man, I sure hope so. I would rather not bother with my PS3 just to play some PSOne and PS2 games I purchased on the PS3. It irks me that the PS4 doesn't have nearly the amount of classics support, and IN FACT it reminds me a lot of Nintendo.

Something about these Japanese console makers and seemingly offering less classics support.

I will buy PS5 day one, if it is BC with PS4, PS2 and PS1 meaning I can use both my digital PS1 and PS2 games as well as play my PS1 and PS2 game discs.

Nintendo is actually doing everything they can to prevent you from finding roms on the internet.

And they aren't doing a very good job at that.

JimmyJones

Banned
Still no SNES games?!

anigif_enhanced-2788-1407783187-1.gif

PS5 will be BC with PS4 but that's about it. I don't see the point of BC with previous gens like PS1 or PS2 unless they have massive enhancements, trophy support and other modern functionalities, which is not profitable at all at this point.

cireza

And they aren't doing a very good job at that.
Because of them many very rare games from Xbox OG or Dreamcast or other systems have become impossible to find as the websites that used to host them have removed everything, not only Nintendo stuff. So in the end, the games that suffer the most from this or not even the Nintendo ones, but the rare ones, or patched ones etc...

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

It is what it is.

The 360 is the same way. Gotta scroll one by one in a huge list of everything you ever bought to download your old stuff. I just think things like this will be better designed today than on consoles made a decade ago.

I reloaded a 360 a few months ago and found content and games that got removed permanently and unable to download again, like a sour patch kids game. We all have stuff we really don't care about, but I won't be deleting Outrun or TMNT Arcade.

thelawof4

There is not much we can do about this because the majority is untroubled by this trend. Personal backups are legal in most places (and if you are clever everywhere).

I am eternally thankful for the people that write the awesome emulators and other tools such as Dolphin (wii+gamecube), Cemu (wii-u), Yuzu (switch).

sn0man

Always physical.

And when the digital-only future comes (and it will come)?
Say hello to my poor backlog with thousands of games.

That is kind of where I am at with this. I assume either Sony or Nintendo will give us one more generation of physical with no online requirement for setup and profiles like MS has. That's kind of where I'll be. I'm collecting all this stuff and I only play at about 1 to 3 games a year and don't see that increasing too much. It's going to be many years of gaming for me. I just hope Sony stays the course so I can enjoy some good 4k stuff.

lol good luck with that.

Wii sold over 100 million and they clearly had no issue dropping that online support and doing this, why would they not do it to Switch? So i'm never buying jack for digital for a Nintendo platform. The best you can do is just buy all carts instead of digital.

QFT: When you put it like that, it really hits home. I'll be saying that to my friends that ask me if they should go digital or physical for games.

I can't download X-Men Arcade, The Simpsons Arcade, and TMNT Reshelled.

They didn't do it for "no reason". Sony's licensing agreement for those games ended. So, their licenses got pulled and I can no longer use the games I've legally purchased. They're still sitting installed on my harddrive, even.

If Konami were smart they would have released a Konami beat-em-up collection back in the mid 2000s for like $30. It would be on eBay for $50 all day these days. I'd pay $50 for all those beat-em-ups in a collection even though I'd be sad modern consoles aren't as good for CRTs. The 360/PS3/Wii were kind of the last with their component inputs. (Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone know if modern consoles can do component?)

I understand why these companies have to take the odd game down due to licensing eg Alan Wake.

However, I find it distasteful that they should remove an entire library of games because the store longer makes them money, as with the Wii shop. Don't these companies make enough money from us??!

I also think it's incredibly short sighted. Imagine if Sony or MS or Nintendo were able to announce that they guarantee that your digital purchases would be available to download for say 100 years (as long as licenses didn't expire). Effectively, that would be for your lifetime.

The goodwill would be amazing. It would more or less eliminate the major concern people have with digital and they would make more digital sales, which are more profitable to them.

I'm not saying I want this, I'm one of those people who likes to see a physical library of games on my shelf. But I feel so very sorry for those who have a library of games on the Wii shop :(

I almost feel the big three should be forced to address this before they are allowed to carry on selling digitally!

That's how you have to treat digital. I buy on steam for games without DRM and on apple's music store. 1.) the stores are big enough that there is a decent chance the content stays up 2.) it appears 99% of the time that the license is tied to me so if the title /song goes away I can still get it from past downloads

Everything else on digital isn't a purchase; it's a rental/license.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If Konami were smart they would have released a Konami beat-em-up collection back in the mid 2000s for like $30. It would be on eBay for $50 all day these days. I'd pay $50 for all those beat-em-ups in a collection even though I'd be sad modern consoles aren't as good for CRTs. The 360/PS3/Wii were kind of the last with their component inputs. (Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone know if modern consoles can do component?)
There was a sharp decline of 2D compilations during the 360/PS3/Wii era. The PS2 was the last hurrah, but it seems as though many of those 2D games are coming back to the Switch and PS4.

Technically, you can downstep an HDMI all the way to 240p with minimal input lag. It would probably have to go 1080p > 480p (VGA), and then from VGA to 240p. Upscaling requires intense processing, but downscaling is just a fast, violent discarding of irrelevant signal data.

KiteGr

That's why I don't buy digitally!

While I never gave a crap or a penny about the Wii Store, I DO have plenty of retro stuff from the PSstore that I play on PSVita. If they are going to discontinue that, then they should preper to never see me again buying anything from their store.

Quezacolt

i have a few digital games on my switch and ps4, but mostly just expansions or digital excusive, like indie games. I'd rather wait a few days, but get a physical edition, than to buy everything digital and never feel like i truly own the games.

Viliger

Just hack the console, who cares, it's an abandoned piece of hardware anyway. Unless you are piss scared of the law I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom