• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The California Senate Just Passed Single-Payer Health Care

JP_

Banned
And many doctors either cap them or won't take them at all, because reimbursement is so low

It's possible we'll be living in a country where doctors don't make quite as much money as they do now. You know, like, most other countries. I swear, like 90% of the skepticism over healthcare in America is blind to how things work in the rest of the world.

99.9% of people that work for these companies are just doing their job and not directing policy, you will have thousands of people losing their jobs.

A lot of them could simply work for the government doing the same job. The government is made of people, you know.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What happens to Medi-Cal (California Medicaid) under this proposal? Is this more like... two-payer health care?

Is this the first sign of the USA headed towards a confederacy? I mean, this plus Trump's total abdication w.r.t. the Paris agreement and the consequent declaration of Paris support from numerous state governments. If states have this much agency to direct and determine the lives of their residents, what need do they have for the federal government beyond a military? May this be the future that republicans want?

I've said it before:

We tried several times to give these mouth breathing fuck heads universal health care and they responded by calling us liberal pussies.

So let's just have it for ourselves and they can live in their libertarian neo Christian dystopia that they crave so dearly.

Fuck them, we tried.

That's the beauty of the 9th and 10th amendment.

sphagnum

Banned
Is this the first sign of the USA headed towards a confederacy? I mean, this plus Trump's total abdication w.r.t. the Paris agreement and the consequent declaration of Paris support from numerous state governments. If states have this much agency to direct and determine the lives of their residents, what need do they have for the federal government beyond a military? May this be the future that republicans want?

The states have always had power to do their own things. This would still require the federal government to sign off on it anyway.

la-pol-g-sac-single-payer-explaner-cost.jpg

Yeah...not feeling the 15% payroll tax increase.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
It's possible we'll be living in a country where doctors don't make quite as much money as they do now. You know, like, most other countries. I swear, like 90% of the skepticism over healthcare in America is blind to how things work in the rest of the world.

You would have to fix the student loan problem. I have about 200k in student loans due to medical school and I am on the lower end of the spectrum. Docs in other countries don't have that issue. If pay is significantly reduced without fixing that we will have an even greater shortage of doctors.

RagnarokX

You would have to fix the student loan problem. I have about 200k in student loans due to medical school and I am on the lower end of the spectrum. Docs in other countries don't have that issue. If oaybis significantly reduced without fixing that we will have an even greater shortage of doctors.
That's another thing California needs to fix. Tuition is supposed to be illegal in the state. Higher education is meant to be free for all residents. But schools and politicians found creative ways around that.

Somnid

Wish them luck. They have a good advantage of a GDP larger than many countries to redistribute. Still bitter Coloradans shot it down.

The states have always had power to do their own things. This would still require the federal government to sign off on it anyway.

Universal healthcare is probably the most expensive service a government can provide aside from defense, so it's conceivable that CA could be fine as an independent nation-state. US states can already override the Feds vis-a-vis marijuana and immigration enforcement, so I don't see why states can't just ignore DC altogether unless POTUS deploys troops domestically.

slit

Universal healthcare is probably the most expensive service a government can provide aside from defense, so it's conceivable that CA could be fine as an independent nation-state. US states can already override the Feds vis-a-vis marijuana and ICE, so I don't see why states can't just ignore DC altogether unless POTUS deploys troops domestically.

They would need funding FROM the federal government. They're not going to become independent because troops would be deployed in that case. It's as silly as when Texas was claiming they can leave if they want. No they can't.

Politicians need to do a better job of marketing.

Has nothing to do with marketing. Coloradocare was pretty well marketed and thoroughly explained. People there just rejected it. The way they were gonna pay for single payer, and what was on the bill, was 10% income tax increase (3.33% from employee and 6.67% employer) and 10% increase on all other income (i.e. rental, dividends, et.al). Most people would still only see an increase of 3.33% and they only got 21% yes. That was in the 2016 ballot.

The 15% payroll tax is likely much cheaper than whatever is being paid now.

Coloradocare had a calculator on their site and IIRC if you were a single person making over 60 or 70K you'd be in the red after coloradocare started in CO.

Can we scrap the bullet train to pay for this?

Assuming the 60B for the bullet train and 400B annually for single payer, you'd need 6 1/2 bullet trains every year to be scrapped to pay for single payer.

Universal healthcare is probably the most expensive service a government can provide aside from defense, so it's conceivable that CA could be fine as an independent nation-state. US states can already override the Feds vis-a-vis marijuana and ICE, so I don't see why states can't just ignore DC altogether unless POTUS deploys troops domestically.

A state can do a lot of things and be pretty autonomous. I'm surprised other people don't know this. Sometimes problems arise from that (i.e. banking with weed businesses), but overall it's great for states.

They would need funding FROM the federal government. They're not going to become independent because troops would be deployed in that case. It's as silly as when Texas was claiming they can leave if they want. No they can't.

Main challenge here would be to get the federal government to allow CA to use federal funds for medicare and medicaid for their single payer program.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Single-Payer was on the ballot in Colorado last year but it failed. :(

Hopefully if this passes in California, and is a success, other states will quickly follow suit.

Single-Payer was on the ballot in Colorado last year but it failed. :(

Hopefully if this passes in California, and is a success, other states will quickly follow suit.

IIRC that's what happened up north. SK or MB got it first and then the rest followed suit until it got to a federal level. CA is as good a guinea pig as any for the US.

Not saying that that's what will happen in the US and I am currently leaning on supporting it being done at the state level - on states where their constituents want it - as opposed to the federal level.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Has nothing to do with marketing. Coloradocare was pretty well marketed and thoroughly explained. People there just rejected it. The way they were gonna pay for single payer, and what was on the bill, was 10% income tax increase (3.33% from employee and 6.67% employer) and 10% increase on all other income (i.e. rental, dividends, et.al). Most people would still only see an increase of 3.33% and they only got 21% yes. That was in the 2016 ballot.

Yes it does. Effective marketing convinces people to do something, even if they don't want or need it. A bad idea needs lots of marketing to be sellable. A good idea, even less.

Hydrus

So basically it would be even MORE expensive for me to continue living here. Yea, I'm gonna have to pass on this.

I live in California and Governor Brown has been on fire this term. Ready to ride this bull.

Brown is complete garbage. That flood water from the dam fiasco, extinguished any fire you thought he may of had.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Can someone explain to me how we can pay for that? More taxes? I wonder if my work going to increase my pay since they no longer have to contribute to my health plan.

So basically it would be even MORE expensive for me to continue living here. Yea, I'm gonna have to pass on this.

What are you currently paying for healthcare?

Can someone explain to me how we can pay for that? More taxes? I wonder if my work going to increase my pay since they no longer have to contribute to my health plan.

Combination of a pooling of Medicare and Medicaid money and a payroll tax. This tax is most likely less than what your employer is already paying in premiums for your coverage.

slit

There is going to have to be more taxes for this no matter how you slice it. Although it doesn't have to be 15% if the gov't would properly prioritize but of course the military and corporate lobbyist would have a temper tantrum.

Universal healthcare is probably the most expensive service a government can provide aside from defense, so it's conceivable that CA could be fine as an independent nation-state. US states can already override the Feds vis-a-vis marijuana and immigration enforcement, so I don't see why states can't just ignore DC altogether unless POTUS deploys troops domestically.

In that image about the cost of healthcare they both mention federal funds.

Afrikan

I'm guessing you have great health coverage?

I work for the City of San Francisco. I have GREAT health coverage, but man I'd rather have my relatives and friends and strangers who need it, have health care....if it means I have to give. (even my "Great" coverage)

Top Bottom