• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The California Senate Just Passed Single-Payer Health Care

I knew this was bad news when he released the statement on a Friday at close of business.
Anthony Rendon. Some of his top donors for election include Abbott, AbbVie, Sanofi, McKesson, and GlaxoSmithKline. The money he takes from the healthcare industry probably has nothing to do with his decision here.
Not surprised a Dem would kill this. Dems party wide are dismissing single-payer despite people pressuring them at town halls and it being so popular amongst the base.

I'm glad people are paying attention and realizing how loyal Democrats are to their donors at the expense of constituents. That's why myself and many others have turned their back on the party.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The point of the bill was to get the ball rolling. Bills are often not feature complete, and obviously, if they are not specific about how it will be payed for, it's gonna have to be hashed out later. A bill that states California is moving to single payer is great because it's going to force the state to figure it out. Which it can. Most countries have single payer, and it is cheaper than what we have, not more expensive.

Discussion about regulating drug prices and closing tax loop holes would start to form, and the state would be better off for it. Make no mistake, if the bill was feature complete, Democrats would just find another way to close it down. All of a sudden, you get the Diane Feinstein's of the world complaining about the jobs in health insurance being lost, or they bring up how raising taxes is not the answer (even though it could just be about closing loop holes) etc etc...Passing the bill without specifics may have been the only way to actually pass it. As soon as you do get into details, donors and the lot all start to complain, and it may never pass. However, the discussion on how to pay for it changes rapidly when the state has to figure out how the hell it's gonna pay for everyone's health care in a year or whatever the guidelines are. You are never going to get discussion about regulating drug prices or closing tax loop holes to pay for health care before they are forced to figure it out.

The key is to look at who they are taking money from, and you will get what their answer is. No guy is going to betray the people who makes his election possible. It's just not going to happen.

I get people are uneasy about it, but just understand they are not stopping it because they are afraid it can't be figure out. They're stopping it because some guy who depends on the insurance industry is giving them money.
They have to get this right. I don't care if the dude's motives are disingenuous, if what people are saying is accurate this bill isn't "feature incomplete", its conceptually incomplete. "What does vision care look like for children before the age of 12" is a feature to hash out, "what is the mechanism for funding this" is one of the pillars of your bill

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I knew this was bad news when he released the statement on a Friday at close of business.

Not surprised a Dem would kill this. Dems party wide are dismissing single-payer despite people pressuring them at town halls and it being so popular amongst the base.

I'm glad people are paying attention and realizing how loyal Democrats are to their donors at the expense of constituents. That's why myself and many others have turned their back on the party.

Something like 110 congressman have currently signed on for the pending Medicare for All bill in the House

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Something like 110 congressman have currently signed on for the pending Medicare for All bill in the House

Why only 110? Why arent the rest of the Democratic members of Congress onboard?

If you want to call Anthony Rendon and voice your displeasure his office information is below.
3R71LpO.jpg

Just watched the Jimmy Dore segment on this. It looks like Rendons district is near where Dore and co are so it looks like they are going to go there Monday (today). Hopefully it happens. Wish i were near so i could attend.

I am not surprised that they killed this. Any state at any time can pass whatever healthcare they wish, (That is why Romney care was a thing).

The problem is that California (the most populous and most taxed) just couldn't afford it. They would need to raise massive taxes again to pay for something like this. They need federal dollars to help shoulder this and there is no chance of that happening at this time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I am not surprised that they killed this. Any state at any time can pass whatever healthcare they wish, (That is why Romney care was a thing).

The problem is that California (the most populous and most taxed) just couldn't afford it. They would need to raise massive taxes again to pay for something like this. They need federal dollars to help shoulder this and there is no chance of that happening at this time.
If the sixth largest economy in the world cant get it done, i guess single payer is just not feasible. The daydream is over.

If the sixth largest economy in the world cant get it done, i guess single payer is just not feasible. The daydream is over.

The states are overburdened with the cost of public sector pensions. They need to end pensions ( move to a 401k match) for new employees . It will take some time but eventually that money will be free for other things.

sjm-capensions2-0105-web.jpg

The states are overburdened with the cost of public sector pensions. They need to end pensions ( move to a 401k match) for new employees . It will take some time but eventually that money will be free for other things.

sjm-capensions2-0105-web.jpg

They tried ending pensions in San Jose and the police force went to absolute shit, it's horrible now

How does this compare to healthcare systems in Europe?

We get it done aswell.

It is a mistake to look at Europe as a single entity when it comes to healthcare. It is different from country to country. One country like UK I think has the government covering vast majority of the population, but private companies cover the rest. Some countries have a hybrid and some I think healthcare is mandatory despite healthcare insures being private.

In the US, we think single payer as the government insuring everyone and the people not paying out of pocket, or play very little.

Top Bottom