• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just finished it. The story was so generic and unimaginative. The antagonist was trash. The ending was garbage. I believe anyone in this thread could write a better story.

Some of the encounters are awful. The repeating boss is just stupid.
It's as if new dev made a game inspired by dead space.

The GRP ability is something you use to avoid combat. Just yeet enemies on spike walls, fans, ledges they can't climb back on. As long as you have batteries you don't need to fight.
I feel this way. I feel like I played the same scenario 50 times while the plot went right over my head.

Roni

Gold Member
This looks dope, but I'm on PC. I'm not digging my PS4 Pro out of the closet just for this, I'll be waiting for patch, if it ever comes...

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Someone needs to mod in a John Carpenter soundtrack into this game, and it would pretty much turn this into an old Sci fi horror flick.

This game wouldn't look too out of place as a movie sitting on the rental shelf next to Ghosts of Mars

TheTurboFD

This looks dope, but I'm on PC. I'm not pulling my PS4 Pro out of the closet just for this, I'll be waiting for patch, if it ever comes...
It’s been patched for PC already which fixes the stuttering.

Side note I just completed the game and wow I actually enjoyed the later half of the game more than 1st half. I’m still mad that I found out late that you can determine which half of the 2 headed boss to kill first and that determines how easy the second half of his fight (slow or fast). If you kill the left side first you get the slow attacking one last and vice versa.

Roni

Gold Member
It’s been patched for PC already which fixes the stuttering.

Side note I just completed the game and wow I actually enjoyed the later half of the game more than 1st half. I’m still mad that I found out late that you can determine which half of the 2 headed boss to kill first and that determines how easy the second half of his fight (slow or fast). If you kill the left side first you get the slow attacking one last and vice versa.
Sweet, buying it then!

Someone needs to mod in a John Carpenter soundtrack into this game, and it would pretty much turn this into an old Sci fi horror flick.

This game wouldn't look too out of place as a movie sitting on the rental shelf next to Ghosts of Mars

If I had been project director, Carpenter would of been contacted to do the score. Preferably a mixture of The Thing, Halloween 3 and The Fog.

Has the series x ray tracing been fixed yet?

tommib

If I had been project director, Carpenter would of been contacted to do the score. Preferably a mixture of The Thing, Halloween 3 and The Fog.

Has the series x ray tracing been fixed yet?
So, I’m really not the only one thinking that it needed a synth-heavy Carpenter-like soundtrack. Glad to know.

There’s nothing wrong with the soundtrack (it could’ve been terrible like most soundtracks these days) but it’s mostly just ambient and some industrial percussion during fights. It really needed some menacing minimalist synth melodies to elevate the whole thing. They should’ve watched Prince of Darkness for inspiration.

skneogaf

Not properly started this yet as waiting for patches whilst playing on other games.

I did the beginning but to see what performance is like so I can test each patch.

What fpc are people getting with a 4090 on 4k temporal and everything maximum?

Benchmark says around 50 but in game near the prison cells I'm seeing 30 to 40 fps!

Its the best graphics I've ever seen but that is some low fps!

tommib

Same. I want to support AAA single player games so I bought it. Haven't played much though. Waiting for a few more patches (PC).
It’s the 4th most sold game on PSN today. Not bad, not bad, Glen.
13m4oUY.jpg

Neff

Finished it, twice. Loved it, albeit with caveats.

Pros
+ Drop dead beautiful game. One of the best-looking games ever imo. Superb visual design and lighting. Top notch actor modelling and motion capture.
+ I really liked the combat. There's room for improvement, but the dodge mechanic is surprisingly tense and fun once you master it. There's nothing else which feels quite like it. I went from bumbling around like an idiot on my first normal playthrough to coming through battles without a scratch on hard mode. I like how gun use is divided between ranged combat and combo finishers. Earning your chance to do big damage and take out tentacle guys quickly feels great. The GRP system is immensely satisfying but it can certainly trivialise certain encounters. But honestly, that's kind of awesome, and it feels like resource distribution is balanced around it, especially on hard.
+ It's surprisingly unique. For all its blatant theft of Dead Space, it comes across as more of a hybrid of Dead Space, The Evil Within, and The Last of Us. A lesser clone would make me wish I was simply playing one of those games instead, but I feel like Callisto is doing enough of its own thing to stand out.
+ Incredible sound design. There's even some nice music in there which was a pleasant surprise.
+ It's paced fairly well despite the abundance of slowly crawling from one RAM heap to another. My second run had me tearing through the game and I think I actually enjoyed it more. There's enough variety in combat and exploration to keep things enjoyable during the game's fairly short run time.
+ I didn't want it to end, and I felt it ended too early. I see this as a positive rather than a negative, because what's here is a very good time imo, and 9-10 hours of entertainment is nothing to write off.
+ I liked the characters and thought the performances were great. Duhamel has broadened his range of expressions significantly since I rolled my eyes at him in Transformers. Witwer was particularly good.
+ I actually kind of like the fact that there's no map. It made taking steps into the unknown daunting, and while I can appreciate that wondering if you're going the right way is going to be frustrating for many, I personally admired the game for asking me to make potentially risky decisions and stick by them.

Cons
- I don't often play games for the story, but The Callisto Protocol's story is shamefully derivative of Dead Space. It's a beat-for-beat reshuffle of Visceral's original for a new generation. That said, I wanted to see how it turned out, and I'm looking forward to the DLC shedding new light on the game's world.
- Callisto would hugely benefit from more battle variety. This type of game thrives on the synergy which develops between enemies, weapons and environments of different types. With Callisto you essentially have four choices- defend, melee, shoot, or GRP. Most of the weapons have very similar properties, and GRP is usually an instant kill with the trade-off that you can lose that enemy's loot. It's one category where comparisons with Dead Space are unfavourable, because you were encouraged to deal with different enemies in uniquely optimal ways. In Callisto, with a few exceptions, every enemy is fair game for the same strategy. It's a fun strategy for sure, but I would like to have been pushed to try new things.
- I missed the puzzles and environmental challenges of Dead Space, of which there's very little in Callisto. Stuff like the asteroid blasting scene (fuck you I liked it), the radioactive balls, basketball, the shooting range etc were sorely missed. Callisto is a very geographically straightforward game in comparison, which may have been intentional to sell a more grounded setting, but other games in this genre like RE4 and The Evil Within show how it pays to throw weird and unexpected level design at the player.
- The game has its share of bugs and weird incidents. The save/checkpoint system is incredibly inconvenient and inelegant. The weapon select would often give me a weapon I didn't ask for. The lip sync is off in several scenes and looks weird as shit. Overall it's a very polished game, but more could be done.
- The amount of crawling through spaces and ducts is kind of ridiculous. I get that visuals of this caliber on last gen consoles comes with a price, but I'm fairly sure the PS5 I played this game on doesn't need to be held hostage by quite so many awkward instances of holding 'up' for half a minute.

It would be a crime if this game didn't get a sequel, because there's so much good work done here, with so much potential. Callisto 2 with more enemies, more weapons, more environmental variety, less blatant loading gates and a longer length would be incredible, and a contender to stand alongside the greats in the horror TPS genre.

Last edited:

Hugare

It’s the 4th most sold game on PSN today. Not bad, not bad, Glen.
13m4oUY.jpg

This makes me so freaking glad

I want them to make a sequel. There's a lot to love here.

Will be a hard sell, I imagine, due to Krafton stock decrease. It went from ~ 200 krw before release to ~170 krw right now.

So I dont know if Krafton will be very happy with salles results.

And I really hope that they dont compromise with some of their design decisions. I loved the combat, and I dont want to see it being streamlined because some people cant play it properly.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This makes me so freaking glad

I want them to make a sequel. There's a lot to love here.

Will be a hard sell, I imagine, due to Krafton stock decrease. It went from ~ 200 krw before release to ~170 krw right now.

So I dont know if Krafton will be very happy with salles results.

And I really hope that they dont compromise with some of their design decisions. I loved the combat, and I dont want to see it being streamlined because some people cant play it properly.

Stock price in short term is a temporary measure at best. It shouldnt be considered in decision making so soon.
But yeah if the sales are not good in long term, then for sure it will be a hard call for a sequel.

ungalo

I'm starting to like it. The beginning of the game is plagued by those awful transitions, it's baffling. Wonder what the devs smoke for making so many crawling sequences, i'm pretty sure those are not hidden loadings, just very weird level design. Fortunately it's not the case anymore.

Although there is still other weird shit in this game design wise.

Last edited:
How is the challenge of this game? Just beat Ragnark on Hard mode and love the dark souls games. I like the idea of a melee focused combat game. Would it be a good fit for me? I'm very much on the fence

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
How is the challenge of this game? Just beat Ragnark on Hard mode and love the dark souls games. I like the idea of a melee focused combat game. Would it be a good fit for me? I'm very much on the fence
Feels very hard in the beginning but gets easier once you understand it's systems. Ammo, health and items are plentiful but inventory is limited. Boss fights are kinda clumsy. The melee combat is satisfying but not deep in it's mechanics.

Hugare

There are some difficulty spikes, but other than that, you can kinda breeze through if you get a good grip about the combat mechanics

I'm playing the game on Normal and I have died 5 times, about 2/3 through the game at the moment. But I'm careful af.

Sometimes the developers want you to die.

I've listened to Glen Schofield on the Kinda Funny Games podcast, and he says that they've designed the combat arenas so that you usually die 2-3 times before finally winning.

(I hate Greg Miller, but its a good watch if you enjoy the game) - BUT SPOILERS

It's designed like that because during the more challenging encounters, you can't figure out the best way to kill your enemies before dieing for the first time. "Oh, I could have thrown that guy at the spikes, and then shoot that one on the back" and etc.

But if you are perceptive and know how the combat works, so that you can improvise on the go, then you won't have much of a challenge for the majority of the game

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I honestly am shocked how hyped this was cause the guy who created it was supposedly some hot shot... and it turns out full of bad cliche game mechanics from yesteryear and full of technical problems at launch.. the kind of thing you expect from amateurs.

j0hnnix

Just finished it. I'll stick to my 8 that I gave earlier. I see the similarities to DS, but from reading this is what Glenn initially wanted for DS with the prison, I get it and I'm not going to knock the game for using what worked. Story was good, it's in no way a TLOU1 story by any means but good enough for me to like it. That end boss.. I definitely don't know how I feel bout it, cool and all but damn wtf. It's tedious and sponging.

Credits song *chef's kiss* I hope all the knocks from reviewers it doesn't hurt sales and it does sell well enough to get a Part 2. Part 2 needs tweaks in the Dodge, Aim department and obviously adds a little more variety in enemies. Sucks it's mared with some Season Pass BS...and misses for NG+. Oh well, time will tell if we get some free stuff thrown in.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just finished it. I'll stick to my 8 that I gave earlier. I see the similarities to DS, but from reading this is what Glenn initially wanted for DS with the prison, I get it and I'm not going to knock the game for using what worked. Story was good, it's in no way a TLOU1 story by any means but good enough for me to like it. That end boss.. I definitely don't know how I feel bout it, cool and all but damn wtf. It's tedious and sponging.

Credits song *chef's kiss* I hope all the knocks from reviewers it doesn't hurt sales and it does sell well enough to get a Part 2. Part 2 needs tweaks in the Dodge, Aim department and obviously adds a little more variety in enemies. Sucks it's mared with some Season Pass BS...and misses for NG+. Oh well, time will tell if we get some free stuff thrown in.
I actually didn't mind the last boss. I liked it more than the two-head mini-boss. Wouldn't have been as bad if they didn't throw it in so many times at the end. Would have been better to have bosses of different types like the cloak monsters.

NG+ coming in Feb is when I'll give it another playthrough. Will definitely grab the story DLC later on too.

j0hnnix

two-head mini-boss
I definitely agree. If comparing the two-headed mini boss and the amount of rinse and repeat involved at the end, it does make the last boss much better. I did like the two phases wish the first phase was a little more complex almost scripted once you have the Dodge mechanic perfected. I just kept looping the boss around. Similarly what I did with last encounter of mr. two-headed.

SCB3

Ok, played a couple hours more and its finally starting to pick up, the Below chapter is excellent and more of what I wanted outta this game, hard but somewhat fair, that fucking Train ride though, duck me that was rough

ungalo

It's not that melee focused, or rather not in the way you might think. It's not a skill based game in my opinion, more like "how do i handle this situation ?". You got a room, 3 or 4 enemies will pop out, you gotta deal with them as fast as possible so you won't be overwhelmed. You try to use the ressources and environments proficiently so you can take one enemy at a time, eventually with melee when possible since it doesn't waste any resources.

But the melee combat doesn't have anything in common with Souls or God of War, the dodge are automatic, you just have to hold the stick in one direction, no precise timing required. And it's the same for the shooting part actually, doesn't require accuracy like Dead Space or Resident Evil. They pushed for something purely based on quick thinking.

Last edited:
I know this is a dumb complaint, but I really don't like achievements that spoil what is about to happen. Just got up to the landing pad/hangar/whatever and got the achievement We're In The Pipe, Five By Five, which instantly told me that the ship is about to explode somehow. Yeah it's a cute reference to Aliens but pop it AFTER the ship explodes pls

R6Rider

Gold Member
I know this is a dumb complaint, but I really don't like achievements that spoil what is about to happen. Just got up to the landing pad/hangar/whatever and got the achievement We're In The Pipe, Five By Five, which instantly told me that the ship is about to explode somehow. Yeah it's a cute reference to Aliens but pop it AFTER the ship explodes pls
I didn't even know achievements have details when they pop up. I know the trophy popped up, but I had no clue what it was for. Wonder if there's a setting for that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It weird hearing peoples impressions.
A lot of people that like it says it gets better in the later half of the game.
But that's the biggest complaint from people that hate it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It weird hearing peoples impressions.
A lot of people that like it says it gets better in the later half of the game.
But that's the biggest complaint from people that hate it.
I guess if you don't like the combat, the second half would be worse that the first, especially the boss fights.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished it and enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was better than the negative reviews suggested and didn't find the reliance on dodging as much as I thought early on since I decided to use my ammo a lot. Maybe if I decided on using melee most of the time I'd have had a different opinion, I can see how that would be repetitive. I thought that early on before I got the weapons, but once I did and started using the guns I enjoyed it more. I loved the atmosphere and the setting.

My biggest gripe is the later chapters just throw waves of enemies at you and IMO it hurts the survival horror aspect of the game. It was overkill.

I didn't even know achievements have details when they pop up. I know the trophy popped up, but I had no clue what it was for. Wonder if there's a setting for that.
They don't have details - the 'spoiler' is the achievement name itself because it's a direct reference to something that happens in Aliens. Like I said, I know it's a dumb complaint lol

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
This is the first time in a LONG time where I have absolutely hated a game and been so confused how anyone can actually enjoy this on an objective level.

- The gameplay is just plain bad, the combat is atrocious, especially the dodge mechanic.
- Story is just... I mean, it is barely there, this may as well have been a tech demo.
- It's not remotely scary unless you are triggered by jump scares that are so telegraphed they may as well have red warning signs leading up to them...
- Linear to a fault, no real sense of adventure cause you are constantly running down one way corridors and doors which lock behind you for good.
- what, 5 enemy types? in the entire game... I mean cmon.

Maybe I'm just becoming a cantankerous old fart but this was barely even a 3 out of 10 and that is because it does look pretty when it wasn't graphically glitching all over the place.

I wanted to love this, the opening had me hyped to high heaven, and I had gone in almost entirely blind. The dissappointment was palpable as the first 2 hours went by. It just got worse and worse and I audibly shouted 'what the fuck is this' at my screen. Such wasted potential.

The industry confuses the shit out of me nowadays. There are so many AMAZING games that can literally be cloned and devs still manage to completely drop the ball like this... hell, if this outright copied the combat entirely from deadspace I would not have even been mad, cause the system they went with is so bad.

The way I can sum up this mess that a bunch of deadspace fans got into a room with some investors and were like " guys... we want to make dead space again for a modern audience but make literally every part of it worse in every way... and lets just make it look good so it passes. Fuck those kids. Gief us your moneys."

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm starting to like it. The beginning of the game is plagued by those awful transitions, it's baffling. Wonder what the devs smoke for making so many crawling sequences, i'm pretty sure those are not hidden loadings, just very weird level design. Fortunately it's not the case anymore.

Although there is still other weird shit in this game design wise.
Where are you up to? I'm still on the second to last chapter and it's still a crouch, shimmy fest! I can't believe the praise for this game.

I can't get over people defending this game and it's level design gameplay, its some of the oldest and worst designs imaginable. In 2022/23, it doesn't fly. Not to mention it's painfully slow, you can't say it's for the atmosphere, there's very little of it, just lots of noises and scary looking creatures, that doesn't make a good horror game. I don't feel any scary tension at all.

Graphics are great, some of the combat is fun, story is alright. But everything else is pure cookie cutter garbage to me.

Last edited:

Flabagast

My god the graphics in quality mode are fucking insane.

I know it was praised for it but I did not expect to have such a « next gen » shock right out of the gate.

K' Dash

This is the first time in a LONG time where I have absolutely hated a game and been so confused how anyone can actually enjoy this on an objective level.

- The gameplay is just plain bad, the combat is atrocious, especially the dodge mechanic.
- Story is just... I mean, it is barely there, this may as well have been a tech demo.
- It's not remotely scary unless you are triggered by jump scares that are so telegraphed they may as well have red warning signs leading up to them...
- Linear to a fault, no real sense of adventure cause you are constantly running down one way corridors and doors which lock behind you for good.

Maybe I'm just becoming a cantankerous old fart but this was barely even a 3 out of 10 and that is because it does look pretty when it wasn't graphically glitching all over the place.

I wanted to love this, the opening had me hyped to high heaven, and I had gone in almost entirely blind. The dissappointment was palpable as the first 2 hours went by. It just got worse and worse and I audibly shouted 'what the fuck is this' at my screen. Such wasted potential.

The industry confuses the shit out of me nowadays. There are so many AMAZING games that can literally be cloned and devs still manage to completely drop the ball like this... hell, if this outright copied the combat entirely from deadspace I would not have even been mad, cause the system they went with is so bad.

The way I can sum up this mess that a bunch of deadspace fans got into a room with some investors and were like " guys... we want to make dead space again for a modern audience but make literally every part of it worse in every way... and lets just make it look good so it passes. Fuck those kids. Gief us your moneys."

This game deviates so much from what people are used to that they just hate it for being different. I welcome the new ideas, the core gameplay is there, the ideas are there and for fucks sake, its one of the few games out there that looks next gen, the atmosphere is delicious and the combat is very satisfying, cleaning a room of fools while evading 3 at a time attacking you is just amazing.

It's okay if you don't like it, but I tell you, for a first effort from a small team.... you can't deny there's potential there, they need to tweak a little bit here and there, more time and budget and the sequel could be something really special.

GymWolf

Kinda same thoughts.

It show how people have wildly different taste in what they consider good and why you always have to think with your head when deciding if a game is worth to be bought.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Couldn't resist to wait for the New Game + update and jumped straight back into a second playthrough. Going for the highest difficulty this time. Lets see how far i can push it with the upgrades. I've sold everything the game gave me as of now.

Luipadre

Can i play this on my pc in 1440p max settings without RT at 60fps? i5 13600k, 32gb DDR5 and a 3070ti. I still gonna wait for a few more patches to let them optimize and fix some of the complaints about the game tho

it's far from terrible and a solid 8/10

its a linear visual spectacle with combat that can easily be improved in a sequel that I personally found quite fun and satisfying. there are so many terrible games out there but this one is not one of them. whatever your thoughts are on this game, i pretty much feel exactly opposite. my two cents.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
it's far from terrible and a solid 8/10

its a linear visual spectacle with combat that can easily be improved in a sequel that I personally found quite fun and satisfying. there are so many terrible games out there but this one is not one of them. whatever your thoughts are on this game, i pretty much feel exactly opposite. my two cents.
Yeah, same from me, solid 8/10 game. Has a potential to a get a better sequel if they analyze what's worked or what hasn't and if they listen to the feedback.

TonyK

I was exactly like you the first three/five hours or so. But at some point the game made click for me and I ended liking it a lot. I can't explain why, because I agree in all your criticisms, but I discovered myself wanting more and more of the game. When I finished it after 14 hours I could have played 14 more. That simple loop of exploring good looking sci-fi scenarios and killing foes with the mix of melee/shotgun/gravity glove, worked for me.

But yes, script is pure generic trash. There is no freedom, almost no sense of discovery, lack of variety... but I had fun! It was addictive for me. At the end of the day is a 8 for me and I would buy a second entry if it's made by the same team.

Just finished the game on PC, hardest difficulty. It's not a bad game by any means but, as I'm sure everyone here already knows, it is a deeply flawed game. As I was playing, it often reminded me of Evil Within 1 (which I also completed recently for the first time), in that it's an extremely frustrating game, and I was constantly wondering why certain aspects were designed the way they were. For instance, the sheer amount of vent crawling/squeezing/shimmying in this game is unprecedented and I kept wondering "why?"

Alas, I hope the dev team learns some lessons and takes all the feedback to heart for the DLC and/or sequel.

7/10

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did enjoy the combat for the most part. I liked the dodging and melee aspects, but the mutation/evolution mechanic was a poor substitute for Dead Space's dismemberment system.

Last edited:

Emet_bp

Did they fix the broken environment LOD on the PS5/XSeries/PC?
At launch on new systems and PC there were missing many objects in environment, that were present in the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

Top Bottom