• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol underperformed expectations

peronmls

It probably didn’t have most of the staff from EA when making this game. It’s just them independently now. Just like Valve and Turtle Rock. You have Turtle Rock devs but you don’t have the Valve devs to help in their games because they are independent.

Gaiff

When the drive by shit post goes bad.

clown GIF by Team Coco
Nah, that's when the joke goes over your head.

Game would have sold better had it reviewed well. It’s a new ip that has 0 staying power online due to it being the definition of “mid” according to the masses. I’ll play it when it hits a sub or is on sale. The fact high on life stole basically all its thunder is telling.

I feel like the Callisto Protocol was hamstrung by poor gameplay decisions more than anything.

Yes, it looks great, yes, it has atmosphere, yes, it had a lot of hype and exposure...but that's not enough if that core moment to moment gameplay isn't engaging.

I'd rather play the original Dead Space or, ideally, Dead Space 2.

I have both on pc, and while neither (obviously) is as stunning as Callisto Protocol, they are still better in every other way.

I'm waiting to see just how much of an upgrade the upcoming remake of Dead Space is before I commit to buying, but I'm confident it'll be better than the Callisto Protocol.

Shubh_C63

If this game at its current state had been applauded I would have lost more faith in gaming journalism.
Callisto Protocol is a shining example of shiny graphics doesn't makes a bad game good.

Gambit2483

All I can say is gamers f*cked up this time. The sales should have been there. This was a hell of a game, especially considering it was the first game from a new dev team. A sequel would have been bolder, the gameplay would have been more fleshed out. It already looked and sounding stellar. The tone and atmosphere was fantastic. But now a sequel will never see the light of day because the sales aren’t there.

It’s a damn shame. The Callisto Protocol could have been one hell of a franchise.
Id7BJal.jpg

Guilty_AI

Are i just out of the loop or between this, Gotham knights, Bayonetta 3, Mario/Rabbids and F1 Manager. Is there a Lot of AAA games underperforming right now?
Between these games being pretty meh, slowing sales due to the current world circumstances, oversaturation in the industry, dozens of cheaper alternatives... can't say i'm surprised

Reactions: Isa

OuterLimits

So it's expected to under perform but there is no numbers so they don't actually know....
Surely there must be numbers by now.

Wait it did 2 Million in one month?!
that's actually good

It would seem good if the game didn't cost such an insane amount to make.

The negative impressions and mixed review scores greatly limit future profit potential as well. Future sales will likely occur at far less than the initial $70 price making it extremely difficult to break even on the 160 million budget.

MMaRsu

Banned
Cause the game sucks. Its boring, constantly the same enemies. Only a few weapons (which are dull). No cool enviroment puzzles or backtracking, or metroidvania shit. Just a linear corridor shooter thats dull af.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not pretending anything. I am telling you and everyone else my experience with the game.

If those drops do happen, its just so unregular or rare that I never noticed.If that's the case, those "problems" would be more widespread and people would complain more.

Now, go outside and take a walk. It feels like you have a grudge against this game, and that's never healthy.
Fine, you didnt notice it. Everybody else did. Not everyone has your low standards.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well they done fucked up their PC launch, and reviews were mediocre. Some gamers gave it a free pass because they value pretty graphics over gameplay, while everyone else could see it wasn’t worth $70.

This is the reality of modern AAA gaming. They were banking on 5 million. Now it flopped and that will likely be the end of Callisto Protocol.

It’s already on sale on Steam for $48, and Game Pass is a guarantee to recoup some money. Maybe even a free Epic giveaway and PlayStation Plus. At this point it’s clear the game’s underperforming, and anyone on the fence is going to continue sitting because further price drops are a sure thing.

Next time (if there even is one) fix your game before releasing it! Get your priorities straight.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I kinda like the game but it's definitely a flash in the pan if i were to speak objectively.

Curious to know what's the part of the budget dedicated to marketing because the game was everywhere (there are still ads on youtube) but it's not a very impressive AAA when you think about it. Very straightforward and simple structure, not a lot of huge setpieces. It's just that the game is visually stunning, every room is well crafted with a lot of details, but that's about it. A game like A Plague Tale Requiem is labeled as midbudget so it puts things into perspective, Callisto didn't feel like a huge game despite having a huge budget, so something went wrong or the publisher didn't approach it the right way.

Seriously. Plague's Tale is a huge game, with incredible graphics, far more diversity in locations and gameplay and many huge setpieces.
Yet I am sure it cost nowhere near 160 million USDs. The fuck these guys spent it on? Sure there is some Hollywood talent (of which there was no need), but I doubt they all cost more than 5 million combined. These are not A list actors.

• Thoughtful

ADiTAR

Banned
Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Kirby are not getting 5m copies sold (except the last Kirby). Known franchises with a huge marketing machine. Their expectations underperformed reality.

Just_one

Platinum it this weekend and got my money´s worth it.

Its a shame its underperforming and it wont get a sequel because i really loved this game. coming from a survivor horror fan (and a dead space fan) i LOVED this game.

Fun fact : the first two head boss was actually way more difficult in the most difficult setting than the last boss.

You're telling me this game cost 200 BILLION DOLLARS!? Are you fucking kidding me!?

It was a fun game but the campaign was like 8 hours long. I know I saw a bunch of Playstation commercials for it while my Dad was watching NFL games so I think a lot of that was advertising.

BossLackey

Gold Member
When are devs/publishers going to learn that good presentation isn't enough?

Where was the content?! I was the target demo for this game and I ended up not buying it because they simply don't deserve my money. I don't know where the hell the money went, but it was wasted.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
You're telling me this game cost 200 BILLION DOLLARS!? Are you fucking kidding me!?

It was a fun game but the campaign was like 8 hours long. I know I saw a bunch of Playstation commercials for it while my Dad was watching NFL games so I think a lot of that was advertising.

It's 200 billion won (160 million dollars).

Come on man. How can anything cost 200 billion dollars? 160 million is also way too much for this game.

When are devs/publishers going to learn that good presentation isn't enough?

Where was the content?! I was the target demo for this game and I ended up not buying it because they simply don't deserve my money. I don't know where the hell the money went, but it was wasted.
we're now officially in the era of the 'all frosting / no cake' genre...

Denton

This is now for some 26 bucks on EGS (Epig Game Store)

Should I risk it?

I enjoyed the Dead Space (and remake) and am generally fan of scifi action horror.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
All cutscenes have a broken frame pacing, and there are several drops to the low 20s. This is not something small.
How the f*** did you not notice something like this when playing?
But the worst part is that despite proven very wrong, you keep pretending it's nothing.

WTq5Ww1.png
i think one of the main reason is that his main platform is switch, so that may explain why.

KillaJamm

Should I risk it?

I enjoyed the Dead Space (and remake) and am generally fan of scifi action horror.
Honestly I think it's worth it at that price, especially if you are a fan of the genre. Its no where near the level of Dead Space but I still enjoyed my time with it and even plan a second run at some point.

Nautilus

Banned

Should I risk it?

If you like the genre and setting, yeah. While definely weaker than Dead Space Remake, its a decent and fun game if you are a fan of the setting and the type of game.

Top Bottom