• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Capcom sweep continues

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They managed to go from being one of the most hated companies into literal CapGODs. Now do y'all see why i love this company?

yWrgs7J.png
MWiZVvC.png
HsOonrC.png
aagYlQe.png
ZU80nkH.png
OFay3HK.png

hlxIGVT.png
lFGqpyg.png

MMpiXJE.png
icff88L.png

jVCX8ht.png
9TTEcgE.png

Did anyone really have any doubt that the RE4 Remake was gonna be smash hit? with a track record like this?!?!

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What fucking horseshit is this
Exactly. EA, Konami, Microsoft or Ubisoft ok, but Capcom?
remember crapcom? remember SFxTekken? Remember SFV? Remember Resi 5 and 6?

people fucking hated capcom back then and they still make a few blunders today like MVC infinite. but they've gone from one of the most reviled to one of the most beloved in just a decade. I can't think of a turn around story better than that

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Capcom are straight dumping on the rest of the industry in terms of releasing games. In 6 years capcom managed to release 5 brand new amazing look resident evil games. Mean while the rest of the industry is like “games are hard to make and expensive please understand our wall of text twitter delay”

Umbasaborne

Banned
Its not a horse shit take, the quality of their output was really dire for a while there until re7 and monster hunter world. Since then they have become one of the best 3rd party publishers in the industry. They definitely went through a lul period from 2009-2016 however, barring things like street fighter 4 and the portable monster hunter games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I remember it. Maybe a slight exaggeration on the OP's part, but during the 360/PS3 era almost all Japanese companies were trashed constantly. I'll never forget getting shit in comment sections for saying I thought Capcom was publisher of the year when they put out Dragon's Dogma. They almost skipped a whole generation on PS3, putting out stuff like DmC, cancelling MML3, DLC on disc controversy, etc. Deep Down went nowhere. Panty Raid engine went nowhere. I was always a fan, but they had some vocal critics for a while.

Drizzlehell

Banned
RE7/8 and Dragon's Dogma are like the only original ideas they had in a long, long while, and arguably only RE7 was the real show stealer, with the other two being kinda mid. Apart from that, most of their recent output was just sequels and remakes.

Don't get me wrong, I also appreciate that they're putting out decent games that are fun to play but it's not like I'm gonna drop to my knees and start tonguing their balls over it.

Now, if they announce a Dino Crisis remake, then I can consider some penis-to-hand action but until that happens, I will merely give out some lukewarm praise to them.

[Sigma]

Forgot base SFIV got that high of a metacritic score. Some of it was a celebration of the return to the series. Street Fighter 6 will continue the trend for Capcom critically acclaimed and will be one of the best new entries for the franchise.

Last edited:

Neff

remember crapcom? remember SFxTekken? Remember SFV? Remember Resi 5 and 6?

You should understand that these games were still being released alongside titles which 'redeemed' them according to your criteria. Whilst not great SFXT and SFV were still competent, polished pieces of software. RE5 and RE6 are awesome and massive sellers.

They did put out some dodgy shit during the PS360 era, mostly due to their unwise flirtations with Western studios, but hated? Never happened.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And, god willing, Konami shall return
they will not.... not when they've got fucking bloober team making a Silent Hill 2 Remake for them.
You should understand that these games were still being released alongside titles which 'redeemed' them according to your criteria. Whilst not great SFXT and SFV were still competent, polished pieces of software. RE5 and RE6 are awesome and massive sellers.

They did put out some dodgy shit during the PS360 era, mostly due to their unwise flirtations with Western studios, but hated? Never happened.
Oh i quite like some of capcom's 'dark age' games like USF4, MVC3, and Dragon's Dogma. That doesn't change the fact that people were shitting on them in the late 00s to mid 2010s

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned

Re5 has its merits but its definitely indicative of where Capcom was at in the mid to late 2000’s, chasing call of duty and gears of war rather than having its own unique identity.

Re6 is one of the worst fucking games ive ever had the displeasure of playing and i wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy

Oof85

& a Monster hunter, Devil May Cry and megaman game, with much more in the pipeline. They're fucking japanese Insomniac
Capcom has waaaaay more clout and prestige than Insomniac.
They've pioneered in too many genres to get grouped with those guys.

Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Street Fighter

It's one thing to be prolific, it's another to be prolific AND trailblazing, which Insomniac has never managed to do.

Last edited:

begotten

Funny how the highest ranked game (from 15 years ago) was conveniently put there instead of SFV.

Mega Man 11 was average and forced.

No Infinite and RE3?

Sure Capcom is doing decent but the cherry picking to validate yourself is pathetic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't remember them being hated. I DO remember them being in real financial trouble and in danger of going away or being absorbed by another publisher.

That seemed to change overnight with Monster Hunter World and they've been on a roll ever since.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
same. My first. RE was 4.

but lets not kid ourselves .

I'm not, nostalgia has nothing to do with it, these remakes are just really fucking good games and there's only 3 of them so far.

The Silent Hill 2 remake on the other hand will be nothing but nostalgia.

kicker

Banned
Best publisher to be bought. For 7bn u get monster hunter, street fighter, resident evil, devil may cry, mega man, dino crisis, onimusha.
Why would *you* want a world where the next devil may cry, resident evil, monster hunter or dragon's dogma game would probably be exclusive to one platform?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Capcom has waaaaay more clout and prestige than Insomniac.
They've pioneered in too many genres to get grouped with those guys.

Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Street Fighter

It's one thing to be prolific, it's another to be prolific AND trailblazing, which Insomniac has never managed to do.
Insomniac create games at speed unrivaled by anyone in the industry besides Capcom, hence the comparison. Also, Spyro & Early Ratchet were amazing

which have gone through many changes and reboots to become the juggernauts they are now.

There's a difference between a company like Nintendo reusing the exact same settings, tropes, music etc for every game they make and Capcom consistently trying to change the formula and make the games more unique. SF4 and SF6 are wildly different games, same for MVC2 and MVC3. they made Resident Evil into a first person horror shooter FFS. They're always changing, experimenting, and adapting with the times for better or for worse

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Why would *you* want a world where the next devil may cry, resident evil, monster hunter or dragon's dogma game would probably be exclusive to one platform?
Capcom's too good to be exclusive to anything bro, a future like that would make me jump off a bridge
No Infinite and RE3?
2 bad games out of a sea of pure gems. every godtier company has a flop every once in a while

Insomniac create games at speed unrivaled by anyone in the industry besides Capcom, hence the comparison. Also, Spyro was amazing

which have gone through many changes and reboots to become the juggernauts they are now.

There's a difference between a company like Nintendo reusing the exact same settings, tropes, music etc for every game they make and Capcom consistently trying to change the formula and make the games more unique. SF4 and SF6 are wildly different games, same for MVC2 and MVC3. they made Resident Evil into a first person horror shooter FFS. They're always changing and adapting with the times for better or for worse
I agree. I am just saying that this level of output is thanks to the RE Engine

Nautilus

Banned
They managed to go from being one of the most hated companies into literal CapGODs. Now do y'all see why i love this company?

yWrgs7J.png
MWiZVvC.png
HsOonrC.png
aagYlQe.png
ZU80nkH.png
OFay3HK.png

hlxIGVT.png

Did anyone really have any doubt that the RE4 Remake was gonna be smash hit? with a track record like this?!?!
Capcom was never hated lol.

People were either dissapointed or hated most of their output during the end of the 6th gen and the entirety of the 7th gen.

Before that Capcom was touted as one of the best devs in the world.

begotten

I'm amazed that people on a gaming forum does not remember how hated capcom was, not that long ago...

They weren't hated they were just straight up making shit.

Too bad OP didn't even link the games that got them out of that rut - RE7, DMC5, MHW and SFV S4 onwards and just made a shit argument for the sake of making a thread to validate his tastes.

Generic

Remember when they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3?

Remember when they farmed out their games to a bunch of baka gaijin western studios?

Remember this?
114740-games-news-capcom-embarrassed-by-resident-evil-revelaitons-cover-typo-image1-LemX2OJ86h.jpg

Yeah, they've come a long way since then. They are an absolute powerhouse right now and I cannot fucking wait for Dragons Dogma 2. CANNOT FUCCKING WAIIIT
The best Dead Rising games were made by western devs.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RE7, DMC5, MHW and SFV S4 onwards and just made a shit argument for the sake of making a thread to validate his tastes.
how's it a shit argument when every game i listed was critically acclaimed and well recieved? What's so bad about the games i posted?

Top Bottom