• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Capcom sweep continues

SkylineRKR

Capcoms turnaround was when they dropped Inafune I think. They were going down the shitter with outsourced projects and focus on co-op. Studios like Capcom Vancouver were such a waste I thought. Personally I only liked the first Dead Rising, I didn't understand why Capcom needed an external studio to create these sequels. The same why I didn't understand Capcom needed DmC to exist. It wasn't really more accessible and it didn't look like a game with mass appeal.

Then they started to go back to the roots. RE went back to solo play survival horror with VII. A fifth DMC was greenlit. Resident Evil 2 Remake was greenlit. Even MM 11 was greenlit. And they were all done in-house.

Their only dud might be MvC:I? SFV had a bad start but Capcom did support it and I think it eventually sold well too.

Klosshufvud

Capcom being greatly rewarded for its low-risk, high-income endeavours. This isn't the publisher that once changed gaming during the PS2 era.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When were they ever one of the most hated companies? I have no recollection of that. Maybe you're thinking of Konami.

Theur games have been great compared to every publisher out there.

They're not so so great they can't even fix the broken aiming for Series X ...that's really shitty of them

yurinka

Wow. This is awesome news. RE4R is a triumph and I am really looking forward to everything* else they have coming down the line.

*not exoprimal. That shit was lame.
Well, it isn't news. Capcom has been improving for 10 years.

Nocturno999

Capcom is getting close to its iconic status from the 80's and 90's but they still need to fix their fighting game division.

Street Fighter 6 looks like a great step, but it need to fix its legacy titles and resurrect Darkstlakers and Marvel.

Also. They are asking 60 dollars for RE4RE and SF6 despite being its 2 top titles of this year. Props to them.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They managed to go from being one of the most hated companies into literal CapGODs. Now do y'all see why i love this company?

yWrgs7J.png
MWiZVvC.png
HsOonrC.png
aagYlQe.png
ZU80nkH.png
OFay3HK.png

hlxIGVT.png
lFGqpyg.png

MMpiXJE.png
icff88L.png

jVCX8ht.png
9TTEcgE.png

Did anyone really have any doubt that the RE4 Remake was gonna be smash hit? with a track record like this?!?!

The miracle of RE Engine

Klosshufvud

The miracle of RE Engine
I preferred Capcom games when on MT Framework. RE Engine games just can't look as sharp and crisp no matter how much I tweak settings or install mods. Supposedly has something to do with how REE deals with deferred rendering. DMC4 and RE5 are still gorgeous games today, and at 4K also super crisp and detailed.

Grechy34

remember crapcom? remember SFxTekken? Remember SFV? Remember Resi 5 and 6?

people fucking hated capcom back then and they still make a few blunders today like MVC infinite. but they've gone from one of the most reviled to one of the most beloved in just a decade. I can't think of a turn around story better than that

Being serious though. SFxTekken actually turned out to be a great game, SFV did also. Marvel Infinite was unfortunately unpolished and unfinished but the actual gameplay was/still is so damn good.

not exoprimal. That shit was lame.
I’ve played the beta. All it needs is a great non pvp co-op campaign, and it can be their new Lost Planet 2-esque game.

Nearly all of the feedback has been people asking for co-op only. The gameplay is solid but no one really wanted to fight another team at the end of a run.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Track record, yes, but it’s a remake of a smash hit that’s consistently hailed as one of the best games ever made.

They’d have had to work hard to fuck that up.
I disagree - 4R's success was never a certainty.

After the mistakes 3R made, there was little hope for 4R in the minds of a lot of fans. It was a clear regression from 2R, and 4R could have gone either way. It was only when I saw how faithful the village in 4R was that I realised they learned from their mistakes. 4R isn't perfect, but they put a lot of effort in and it shows.

Comandr

I’ve played the beta. All it needs is a great non pvp co-op campaign, and it can be their new Lost Planet 2-esque game.

Nearly all of the feedback has been people asking for co-op only. The gameplay is solid but no one really wanted to fight another team at the end of a run.
I mean yeah if you want to take out any hint of PVP my interest will increase exponentially. But yeah the current last man standing gameplay gimmick killed it for me.

Pelao

Capcom went from being a company I never cared much for, despite playing several of their games over the years, to being one of my favorites in the industry. Resident Evil VII, Monster Hunter World and DMC V were real game changers.

I never see hate on capcom. Just the backlash on the launch of SFV
The 7th Gen Capcom had a lot of hate and it went on until earlier in the 8th Gen, and it was justifiable. They had bad games like Bionic Commando reboot, DMC reboot by Ninja Theory (Out of Topic: Ninja made that terrible Enslaved Journey to the West as well), it was pretty common for all Capcom games feature in-disk DLC that you only bought a key to unlock new stuff like fighters hidden in SF files and Dark Arisen expansion for Dragon's Dogma was already in-game but locked and hidden in the files before Capcom made any announcement.

Let's not mention the N number of editions a game like Street Fighter IV received... and the whole SFV in general (they fucked up even implementing rollback netcode). Do you remember how Dead Rising 4 and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite almost killed their respective franchises? Then we have Resident Evil 5 which is one of Capcom's most sold games and of the most divisive among the fans of the franchise. Or how Resident Evil 6 was Resident Evil only in name (I love the gameplay mechanics and the action of it but promotional suggested it was a return to the form for the franchise. Or, at the very least, Leon's campaign would be more centered around the horror aspect of the franchise).

Capcom has been on a streak at this moment but I won't forget all their fuck ups even if they are my favorite developer at the moment. Don't let their current momentum blind you.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Capcom has waaaaay more clout and prestige than Insomniac.
They've pioneered in too many genres to get grouped with those guys.

Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Street Fighter

It's one thing to be prolific, it's another to be prolific AND trailblazing, which Insomniac has never managed to do.
i think he means insomniac in real word

[Sigma]

Forgot base SFIV got that high of a metacritic score. Some of it was a celebration of the return to the series. Street Fighter 6 will continue the trend for Capcom critically acclaimed and will be one of the best new entries for the franchise.
giphy.gif

NovaSe7en

PS3/360 era was a rough time for them, and I do remember "Crapcom" being a thing.

- The outsourcing of Lost Planet, Devil May Cry, and Dead Rising was very poorly received
- Resident Evil 5 & 6 were not considered good follow-ups to one of the best games of all time
- The closing of Clover Studios
- Atsushi Inaba, Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, Keiji Inafune departing from the company
- A lot of hate over DLC practices when DLC started to become a thing.

This is stuff that was 10-15+ years ago, however. We've moved on from it.

BlackTron

Capcom tripped up but they've been winning for far longer than they've been losing. With a track record like theirs, they are allowed a few mistakes. They never fully lost it. When they mess up, they course-correct.

There aren't many out there that have been as consistent as them since NES. Um...are there any?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dragon's Dogma II look like same game: the sequel and SF VI has trash music and looks soulless as fuck. RE4 was "decent" at best but doesn't erase the original from the picture.

Capcom were at their peak in the 90s.

So bored of the same 5 IPs.

AREYOUOKAY?

More like sweeping Mega Man and Wright under the rug. Got anything for them besides collections or late overdue translations?

Last edited:

dulleyes

Banned
People who don't know what OP is talking about when he said Capcom was one of the most hated companies about a generation ago are outting themselves as being too young.

There was an entire generation where Capcom shat the bed badly with all their IP's as they were chasing western gaming trends without substance, such as games like RE5.

But by this year, it was obvious that the tactic Capcom chose worked in the end, because they chased trends, made bank, and reinvest into the games we all love and know today with the quality we expect.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Capcom is one of the few devs out there that can reliably produce a big budget high quality game, and it's a massive competitive advantage. Compare them to Ubishit that can't release a straightforward remake of a PS2 game and it's like a fighter jet vs. a toy sailboat in a bathtub.

Top Bottom