• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The case for the return of Crash Bandicoot

I think it's a good idea to group all the arguments in favor of a new crash bandicoot game being made by someone else besides Activision:

Official Crash Bandicoot site is down, all references removed from Activision website - Source

Andrew House wouldn't rule out Crash Bandicoot returning to PlayStation - Source

During a ps4 ad video there was easter egg about Crash - Source

Shawn Layden (President SCEA) wearing Crash Bandicoot t-shirt at PSX - Source

Sony tweets about Crash - Source and Source 2

NECA Toys director outright says Crash Bandicoot is coming back (although he unconfirmed himself next day) - Source

Uncharted 4

- http://assets.vg247.com/current//2015/03/uncharted_4_crash_bandicoot.jpg - Trailer might be a tribute to crash
- http://cdn3.gamepur.com/images/feature/crash-bandicoot-uncharted-4-easter-egg.jpg - An easter egg within the game
- http://i.imgur.com/ZQK0ZuV.png - Activision is not quoted in the credits of the game (despite the usage of Crash Bandicoot)

Naughty Dog tweets a stylized drawing of Crash Bandicoot by its Game Director (Bruce Straley) - Source

I'm may be seeing all these with an eye of a fan full of hope but I think that all these arguments might point to something positive (for a Crash Bandicoot fan).

You might want to edit the
Easter Egg one quickly as the game isn't out yet and many people don't know about it.

Edit: With that said, yeah, he's definitely coming. The questions are who will develop it and what kind of platformer will it be?
Thanks

Coffinhal

That's no the spoiler of the universe though.

Anyway there is definitely something going on. I hope it isn't just releasing the games on PS4 but a true kind of remake-reboot like what Insomniac did with our friends Ratchet & Clank.

Jawmuncher

The shirt at PSX was all the proof I needed. I think it'll be at E3, and not a tease like God of war was at the first PSX and then nothing the following E3.

Bishop89

I want ND to do the same thing insomniac did with R&C reboot.

Maybe not remake the first game though, warped was my favourite :)

Or a completely new title

farisr

Crash deserves a current gen reboot. Simple. There's no question about it. It's a game made for the 3D era, and the gameplay is still fresh.
Yup.

Currently playing through DKC Tropical Freeze and it's like a love letter to the original DKC games. I'd want something similar done to Crash. Retain the style of gameplay it's had in the OT with enhancements here and there taking advantage of the extra power/features of the console.

Doing it in that style will also mean that the game wouldn't require a huge budget, which means less risk, and less requirements for it to be a success.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In reference to the deleted posts:

This is a thread about Crash Bandicoot. People are allowed to talk about Crash Bandicoot, including what's referenced in the spoiler tags. An incidental screenshot of a game, including an unreleased game like Uncharted 4, is not a spoiler.

If you want a media blackout for Uncharted 4:
SAaVHYG.gif

In this thread, people can discuss "the case for the return of Crash Bandicoot". This is not a thread about Uncharted 4. If you want to talk about Uncharted 4 in a thread where no one is allowed to say anything about Uncharted 4 except how amazing it is, go post in the
tbuTCFB.gif
pre-release no spoiler impressions thread
tbuTCFB.gif
instead of here.

Humdinger

Thanks for putting together the evidence. I'd love a Crash sequel. Especially after playing Ratchet & Clank.

Kinsei

Banned
Everyone will be expecting it so Sony will have to have it to avoid disappointment. It's that simple.

Yep. Even after the shirt it wouldn't have been too big of a deal if they weren't making a new Crash, but now that they've done what's in the spoiler? They have to do it.

Bishop89

Does ND need permission for
including crash in U4, if it's just the original case for the first crash they developed?

Stupid question, I know.

There's way too much smoke at this point for there to be no fire. I could understand one or two of these things, but it's a lot of coincidences to not result in an announcement.

E3 or bust. All aboard the hype train!

That's no the spoiler of the universe though.

Anyway there is definitely something going on. I hope it isn't just releasing the games on PS4 but a true kind of remake-reboot like what Insomniac did with our friends Ratchet & Clank.

Yeah I agree I think the hints have been too much for just a re-release.

Crash deserves a current gen reboot. Simple. There's no question about it. It's a game made for the 3D era, and the gameplay is still fresh.

Completely agree.

HardRojo

In reference to the deleted posts:

This is a thread about Crash Bandicoot. People are allowed to talk about Crash Bandicoot, including what's referenced in the spoiler tags. An incidental screenshot of a game, including an unreleased game like Uncharted 4, is not a spoiler.

If you want a media blackout for Uncharted 4:
SAaVHYG.gif

In this thread, people can discuss "the case for the return of Crash Bandicoot". This is not a thread about Uncharted 4. If you want to talk about Uncharted 4 in a thread where no one is allowed to say anything about Uncharted 4 except how amazing it is, go post in the
tbuTCFB.gif
pre-release no spoiler impressions thread
tbuTCFB.gif
instead of here.

Fair point, I do not fully agree with it but I'll take it.

Edit: As I had said before, the game is definitely coming, that's for sure now. The questions we need to ask now are who is developing it and what kind of platformer they will try to go with.

Rozart

When there's smoke, there's fire...I'm expecting an announcement this E3.

Whether or not I think the game will sell well is another story.

Danlord

Not to mention Crash 1-3 basically being chart toppers on the top PSN classics downloads list for years now.

As recent as March 2016, the PSone and PS2 Classics sales (for EU) are;
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
  3. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
  4. CTR: Crash Team Racing
  5. Canis Canem Edit
  6. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  7. Spyro The Dragon Trilogy
  8. GTA: Vice City Stories
  9. Final Fantasy IX
  10. GTA: Liberty City Stories

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...-the-division-shoots-its-way-to-the-top-spot/

We don't know the actual sales split, but it's true that Crash is always at the top of PSone Classics sales lists.

cordy

Banned
Have we made a thread about what kind of game we want it to be? Let's talk about that too because I'm curious on what GAF wants and what GAF thinks it'll be like.

As recent as March 2016, the PSone and PS2 Classics sales (for EU) are;

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...-the-division-shoots-its-way-to-the-top-spot/

We don't know the actual sales split, but it's true that Crash is always at the top of PSone Classics sales lists.

PSN classic sales for entirety of 2014:

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
Final Fantasy VII
CTR: Crash Team Racing
Final Fantasy IX
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Final Fantasy VIII
Spyro The Dragon Trilogy
Metal Gear Solid

Gee I wonder if there is any demand. FOUR Crash games outsold fuckin GTA San Andreas.

And don't fuckin tell me it's because people with PSP couldn't buy it.

Tagyhag

I think Crash should definitely have a new try.

The problem, like all modern reboots of games that were released long ago is that you will piss off one camp no matter what. The purists or the progressives.

The original games are janky as hell now, but that's what nostalgic people want.

Other people won't want to pay $40-$60 for a game with 90's gameplay standards.

Given enough time, I believe ND can come up with a good solution but we'll see what happens. I doubt they'll use their entire team to make the game.

Elios83

I also believe that hints/evidence is adding up to a point where we can say that something is going on behind the scenes.
Hopefully Sony has worked out some deal/partnership with Activision to develop a new game in the series with Naughty Dog working on it.

Coffinhal

If this is a remake-reboot, which type of gameplay would you like it to be ? Keep it close to the original or going in a new direction like, I don't know, the Mario Galaxy games did ?q

Another question is : who will make it or are making it ? Were all ND teams focused on U4 or with the delays they were able to go and get some people to begin the dev ?

I think it's a good idea to group all the arguments in favor of a new crash bandicoot game being made by someone else besides Activision:

I'm may be seeing all these with an eye of a fan full of hope but I think that all these arguments might point to something positive (for a Crash Bandicoot fan).

t7FYxDR.gif

Top Bottom