• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The case for the return of Crash Bandicoot

NotLiquid

If Crash makes it back there's a large part of me that doubts how much attention will be layered onto it in terms of making it an AAA release. I highly doubt Naughty Dog will be making the game, primarily because unless I remember wrong they've said that they have little interest in pursuing cartoony games anymore. That and even if Naughty Dog has two teams, isn't one of them supposed to be working on TLOU2? I have a strong suspicion that a new Crash will be subject to the Sly 4 treatment and be given to a studio like Sanzaru, mostly because the only ones clamoring for the return are the Playstation old-guard who haven't yet given up after the crap that Activision has put out.

I want to be excited of course as well, but when I think about it, and as much as I enjoy Crash 3 I definitely feel like this was a series that was best suited as a part of it's time, mostly because when the series actually did make a proper Crash 4 when Wrath of Cortex came out, the result felt underwhelming and dated. There's not really a lot of Crash games that have instilled me with confidence about the series' future, MAYBE with the exception of Twinsanity. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though.

Playsage

"We're pleased to announced....Crash Bandicoot...is coming to Playstation 4............. as a new series of PSX classics! Please be excied for the Playstation Experience."

Why is that? I have more trust in the quality if Sony are behind it.
I can see them pulling another "FFVII Remake" with E3 and PSX

farisr

I want to be excited of course as well, but when I think about it, and as much as I enjoy Crash 3 I definitely feel like this was a series that was best suited as a part of it's time
Well yeah, that's your opinion on the matter and I can't argue how you feel, but the games still top the charts on the PSN classics list every year, and to me the game really doesn't feel dated as it's very responsive and tight to control with good level design.
mostly because when the series actually did make a proper Crash 4 when Wrath of Cortex came out, the result felt underwhelming and dated.
Using Wrath of Cortex as some sort of example for a proper attempt at a sequel in the style of the originals is not a good idea.

1) It became third party/multiplatform, was not handled by Sony/ND, a developer who never worked on the series was handling it.
2) It wasn't the developers vision to do it in the style of the original three. It was initially being done as a free-roaming title but there was a falling out in companies, and the developers were forced to restart the development from scratch and complete the game in 12 months in the style of the original trilogy.

That is just not a good set of circumstances for any game to come out in, and would undoubtedly result in an underwhelming title.

That kind of development cycle would of course lead to an underwhelming game when the past set of games had so much more dedicated time and love put into them with a certain vision from the getgo.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to E3 and I really fucking hope this is being made by Naughty Dog as well, even as a smaller project being bigger projects would be good for me. Doesn't have to be a full priced retail game. Just as long as it isn't fucking Sanzaru or Big Red Button etc developing it. Hell maybe ND fancy a change from all the Uncharteds/Last Of Us games, they're a very talented bunch of folks maybe they'll enjoy the change!

I think they'll announce that all four PSone Crash Bandicoot games are "out now" for the PlayStation 4 with full Trophy support and up-ressed graphics at E3. They'll then show a trailer for a new project...

... If they've got the rights back!

Didn't trusted GAF (Sony) insider Gopher refer to E3 '16 as 'Year of Dreams 2" or did I imagine that?

Couldn't care less about Crash, but I'm hoping all you fans get something to cheer about in June. :D

About Uncharted 4:

I thought SCEI (or whatever they call themselves now :p) held the rights to the first 4 titles which is the reason they're able to sell it on the Store so easily? Which probably means that the case on the game as an easter egg shouldn't even need permission from Activision.

Alright GAF, I've been a proper doubter about this every step of the way, but frankly a) I didn't have quite all the information and didn't know half of these teases (plus as a general rule I take all 'insiders' with a massive grain of salt), and b) I DON'T WANT TO BE HURT, GAF

But now I see that of course, this is actually happening. Sorry to all the people on this forum I've doubted, in the other thread and before. I'm going to be Huber-ing all over when this gets announced. May have to change avatar!

About Uncharted 4:

I thought SCEI (or whatever they call themselves now :p) held the rights to the first 4 titles which is the reason they're able to sell it on the Store so easily? Which probably means that the case on the game as an easter egg shouldn't even need permission from Activision.

Bruce Straley said in an interview they wanted to do a similar Easter egg in The Last of Us and hinted that it was basically impossible. So something's changed.

I wouldn't mind it if they combine the original gameplay with a few semi-open areas. Like Rayman 2. I think one of the few PS2 titles which people liked also kind of went there (Twinsanity?). I.e. they shouldn't do a strict rehash that limits them to corridors only. Nostalgia can be fun, but it shouldn't cripple the developers like current Nintendo, whose current Star Fox 64 rehash realistically shouldn't be more than a cheap DD title in nowadays market. If they come back with an IP it should also do new things and try to be a great game in general, not solely copy the old rules.

Henkka

Banned
Crash deserves a current gen reboot. Simple. There's no question about it. It's a game made for the 3D era, and the gameplay is still fresh.

For real though, it isn't. Just a couple weeks back, I played through Crash 3. It's an extremely simple, extremely short corridor platformer. Great for it's time, of course. But I still don't understand what people who want a new Crash game actually want. It's not going to be developed by ND, so why would you think it'd be any different than all the non-ND Crash games made for PS2 and Xbox?

Sponge

Banned
About Uncharted 4:

Nope, despite Sony having the publishing rights of those games Crash can't be used in anyway by Sony without permission from Activision, as it is their IP. This is why Activision is credited in Naughty Dog's art book and why they denied them access to Crash in a fan art contest.

GOOCHY

I think they'll announce that all four PSone Crash Bandicoot games are "out now" for the PlayStation 4 with full Trophy support and up-ressed graphics at E3. They'll then show a trailer for a new project...

I'd buy all four... and the new one!

Endo Punk

Crash may not be my fav platformer, that would be the og J&D but his easily the best designed and most recognizable ND protagonist. I'm definitely on board if his back and if Sony takes his return seriously.

About Uncharted 4:

Sony has publishing contracts for the first four, but they don't have any rights to use the games. They publish them on the store because they are the official lifetime publisher for the first five Crash games. It's still an Activision product. If you need tangible evidence, you can look to Naughty Dog's art book, which required Activision to be credited despite all the art being from Crash 1-3 and CTR.

Be wary of this part because your spoiler text implies that you don't know the whole story, so you could save yourself a spoiler here:
Plus, it's not just the game case. There's the Crash case, TWO playable Crash segments that are both mandatory and were crafted just for Uncharted using Crash 1 graphics, and a Crash collectable as one of the game's 'relics'.

They should to the same thing as ratchet. Remake/reboot the original, make some changes and additions and launch at $40. Will make a ton of money. If should also invest more in ads than they did with ratchet

For real though, it isn't. Just a couple weeks back, I played through Crash 3. It's an extremely simple, extremely short corridor platformer. Great for it's time, of course. But I still don't understand what people who want a new Crash game actually want. It's not going to be developed by ND, so why would you think it'd be any different than all the non-ND Crash games made for PS2 and Xbox?

is it truly not fathomable that people still enjoy "simple, short," games in modern day

do we not live in an age of mobile gaming

hemo memo

Gold Member
For the love of god just buy the damn ip Sony. Unless they can shove Crash into CoD Activision is not going to do anything with it.

Philippo

Shiiit i immediately clicked on the black bars and i spoiled something!
but it was exactly the easter egg i knew would have been in UC4, i was so sure!

You want to know what a new Crash game would look like?

63538_3DS_SuperMario_7_scrn07_E3-620x.jpg

Now, I'm not going to pretend that 3D Land and Crash are identical, because there's a bajillion differences between the two. But what they have in common is linear, constrained platforming that, whilst not actually stuck to a 2D plane, corridors the player in ways that are very much the antithesis to Super Mario 64's platforming revolution. Give 3D Land some walls and some backgrounds and it probably wouldn't look THAT different in a lot of levels.

My point being that 3D Land was a lot of fucking fun. So what's the big deal?

FaintDeftone

Well now that Uncharted 4 is done, we know for a fact that Naughty Dog wasn't in the middle of development for Last of Us 2 during that project since they were interviewed recently stating that they're now looking back into Last of Us prototypes. Naughty Dog is a big studio so they could very well be working on a new Crash game on the side after getting the rights back from Activision some time ago. Wouldn't surprise me.

Ricky_R

Ditto. I didn't expect a spoiler for a game that hadn't come out yet. I figured, it's a bandicoot thread, I've beat all of those, I should be safe to click this spoiler... Bah.

Yeah. I didn't expect to be spoiled here either. Like at all.

Not a major spoiler, but still. I avoided the thread about it, as well as all the discussion in other threads. Anyway, whatever.

I shouldn't be a masochist though, so I should leave. ;)

You want to know what a new Crash game would look like?

63538_3DS_SuperMario_7_scrn07_E3-620x.jpg

Now, I'm not going to pretend that 3D Land and Crash are identical, because there's a bajillion differences between the two. But what they have in common is linear, constrained platforming that, whilst not actually stuck to a 2D plane, corridors the player in ways that are very much the antithesis to Super Mario 64's platforming revolution. Give 3D Land some walls and some backgrounds and it probably wouldn't look THAT different in a lot of levels.

My point being that 3D Land was a lot of fucking fun. So what's the big deal?

This is more or less what I want, as you said there are quite a lot of differences but this is the template of how it should be done.

LakeEarth

I'm fine with a new Crash game with similar gameplay. Even if it is antiquated, it's uncommon and proven to be fun. While I'd like them to open up the stages a bit, I don't want them to go overboard and it not feel like Crash.

The reason I can't get excited for a new Crash is I can't imagine what dev could currently make a decent Crash game. It would be nice if Sony had it's own equivalent of a Retro Studios to revitalize dormant franchises with a high level of quality and polish.

I will say that if a new Crash game plays like the originals, then please please PLEASE don't do vehicle levels like Crash 3 did them. It'd be irritating to get a new Crash after so long and then have half the game be riding a panda or a jetski or w/e. Crash 2's method of having one or two animal levels, sometimes within a normal level (such as Un-bearable) was so much more enjoyable.

Tapejara

I will say that if a new Crash game plays like the originals, then please please PLEASE don't do vehicle levels like Crash 3 did them. It'd be irritating to get a new Crash after so long and then have half the game be riding a panda or a jetski or w/e. Crash 2's method of having one or two animal levels, sometimes within a normal level (such as Un-bearable) was so much more enjoyable.

Holy shit, this. Crash 3 is my least favourite of the trilogy because there are so many vehicle levels and they all play horribly. The actual platforming levels are great, but the motorcycle levels and biplane levels still give me nightmares.

Year of Dreams II # believe

daveo42

Banned
So if Crash is coming back to Sony, who is working on it? ND is going back to TLoU. SSM is working on GoW4. Doesn't Bend also have something happening or are they still technically "free" atm?

I could see them offloading an HD Remaster of Crash 1-3 and Team Racing to BluePoint first before announcing a full blown new game.

Edit: if this is all true. I'll wait for an actual announcement from Sony before getting onboard the hype train.

So if Crash is coming back to Sony, who is working on it? ND is going back to TLoU. SSM is working on GoW4. Doesn't Bend also have something happening or are they still technically "free" atm?

I could see them offloading an HD Remaster of Crash 1-3 and Team Racing to BluePoint first before announcing a full blown new game.

Probably Sanzaru or whoever made the new Sly games would seem like an obvious choice.

SDCowboy

I see no reason why ND couldn't possibly put together a relatively small team to work on a Crash game. And I would think it would be a fun change of pace for them, but who knows.

As for it being AAA or not...to me AAA is relative to the genre. I consider the new Ratchet & Clank to be a AAA platformer.

I see no reason why ND couldn't possibly put together a relatively small team to work on a Crash game. And I would think it would be a fun change of pace for them, but who knows.

As for it being AAA or not...to me AAA is relative to the genre. I consider the new Ratchet & Clank to be a AAA platformer.

GOOD GOD!!! :) I agree with you! People tend to think that realistic games are AAA and platform are B.

I'm a developer and from development stand point you see a project regardless of its size, you do have complexities in UC and CB... I hope ND does this for us.

Servbot24

Banned

Edit: if this is all true. I'll wait for an actual announcement from Sony before getting onboard the hype train.

Probably a small studio. Sony would never dream of wasting ND or SSM on Crash, unless it was an offshoot team. I could imagine them partnering with a team from Insomniac or something.

Probably a small studio. Sony would never dream of wasting ND or SSM on Crash, unless it was an offshoot team. I could imagine them partnering with a team from Insomniac or something.

Sony doesn't spend however much money on Crash and then give it to anyone but Naughty Dog. At least not for the return.

Small studio? All right then, get about 30 people from ND.

pixelation

Yup, me too. Thought the same about Sly 4 and The Puppeteer.

daveo42

Banned
Sony doesn't spend however much money on Crash and then give it to anyone but Naughty Dog. At least not for the return.

Small studio? All right then, get about 30 people from ND.

It was mentioned in the other thread, but Cerny could do it. He's available unless he's already working Knack 2.

Top Bottom