• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The case for the return of Crash Bandicoot

Sponge

Banned
An art book isn't game software for distribution, at least try

That's not how that works.
Someone from Naughty Dog said 10 months ago that they wanted to put a Crash game in UC4
but couldn't because it's not their IP and they have no control. So why they sudden change now?

RK128

An art book isn't game software for distribution, at least try.

OMG guys LOOK at what I wrote. The fact is that for the "games" they from I last checked, had Zero of anything Activision on them unless they just suddenly added them tot he PSN games the last 15 days.

So then having zero credits from Activison in Uncharted 4 makes sense ecause it's just a level from an emulated game they have rights of distribution of.

May I remind you that PSN had Crash 1-3 CTR, while XBL had Crash Woc, Twinsanity, and Nitro Kart?

I know you are trying to make a point, but that specific game does not have the thing emulated; its all running inside the games coding with new assets and everything.

XBL had those three games you listed due to the 360 supporting those via emulation and Serrea/Vendi/Universal wanted to make more money via digital versions of those games. The PS3 did not have support for PS2 games at the time, so Sony couldn't ask Universal/Ect for digital versions of those games even if they wanted it too.

OMG guys LOOK at what I wrote. The fact is that for the "games" they from I last checked, had Zero of anything Activision on them unless they just suddenly added them tot he PSN games the last 15 days.

So then having zero credits from Activison in Uncharted 4 makes sense ecause it's just a level from an emulated game they have rights of distribution of.

May I remind you that PSN had Crash 1-3 CTR, while XBL had Crash Woc, Twinsanity, and Nitro Kart?

Naughty Dog had been wanting to include him in the game as they said so in an interview last year, but said it was basically impossible.

Them somehow getting him in and not crediting Activision is EXTREMELY unlikely.

That's not how that works.
Someone from Naughty Dog said 10 months ago that they wanted to put a Crash game in UC4
but couldn't because it's not their IP and they have no control. So why they sudden change now?

Yes it is how it works

I know you are trying to make a point, but that specific game does not have the thing emulated; its all running inside the games coding with new assets and everything.

XBL had those three games you listed due to the 360 supporting those via emulation and Serrea/Vendi/Universal wanted to make more money via digital versions of those games. The PS3 did not have support for PS2 games at the time, so Sony couldn't ask Universal/Ect for digital versions of those games even if they wanted it too.

The PS3 has a PS2 emulator from the start. What are you talking about? How do you think the first PS3's played those PS2 games and why PS2 classics were a thing after they removed BC?

The reason for the split was because SOny had the rights and only them to Crash 103, so they put the other games on the 360.

Naughty Dog had been wanting to include him in the game as they said so in an interview last year, but said it was basically impossible.

Them somehow getting him in and not crediting Activision is EXTREMELY unlikely.

If the original coding is still in the game they showed in Uncharted 4 even witht he cosmetic differences, they can still use the same reason here as they used for their distribution of the series across the PSPS etc. Where those also DO NOT HAVE activisions logo on it.

That's why I said it's likely the core of that version in Uncharted 4 is likely Emulated. They my have added things to it post but it's the only way that makes sense. ALso they couldn't have brought the IP because pending changes would be on the baords, and it makes zero sense for them to have sold crash back only within the last month.

It's not happening.

cheesekao

Yes it is how it works

The PS3 has a PS2 emulator from the start. What are you talking about? How do you think the first PS3's played those PS2 games and why PS2 classics were a thing after they removed BC?

The reason for the split was because SOny had the rights and only them to Crash 103, so they put the other games on the 360.

If the original coding is still in the game they showed in Uncharted 4 even witht he cosmetic differences, they can still use the same reason here as they used for their distribution of the series across the PSPS etc. Where those also DO NOT HAVE activisions logo on it.

That's why I said it's likely the core of that version in Uncharted 4 is likely Emulated. They my have added things to it post but it's the only way that makes sense. ALso they couldn't have brought the IP because pending changes would be on the baords, and it makes zero sense for them to have sold crash back only within the last month.

It's not happening.
It's not. Crash fans who have played the game have noticed already differences like the movement not being as tight.

RK128

It's not happening.

I was commenting on PS2 Classics but you made a good case.

I still think Crash is happening and will just agree to disagree with you :).

RK128

It's not. Crash fans who have played the game have noticed already differences like the movement not being as tight and the spin animation is different as well.

From comments I found online; Crash felt heavier and his spin attack has a brand new animation this time out. So there are differences between Crash 1 and the specific game.

Either way, we will see how this plays out in due time and if Crash really is happening, looking forward to seeing how it looks and plays :D.

So you're saying Naughty Dog would just lie about that?

Yeah, I'm done. I don't wanna try explaining this anymore.

Except I never said that, you made up your own narrative to make your point seem more logical than it is. Even now you admit something changed, but when I bring up a possibility of something change that's no longer the case?

How does that even begin to make sense?

SO I guess Sony is lying as well according to you?

It's not. Crash fans who have played the game have noticed already differences like the movement not being as tight.

That's not how emulation works, part of the games original coding can still be emulated and some post after changes latter.

Tizoc

THE hing I liked about the original Crash Bandicoot games is their simple concept, the devs aimed at making a platformer that didn't rely on twitch reactions.
Look at how Crash 1-3 had their stages laid out and build off that, with difficulty escalating in later stages, as in start with stages that, while not necessarily easy and straight forward rather, let the player figure out the hazards and how to navigate obstacles then slowly build it up from there.

Base game could be what 25 stages, with a dozen or so mini-game style stages based on the stuff from Crash 3 like the motorbike stages.

Just my 100 cents~

From comments I found online; Crash felt heavier and his spin attack has a brand new animation this time out. So there are differences between Crash 1 and the specific game.

Either way, we will see how this plays out in due time and if Crash really is happening, looking forward to seeing how it looks and plays :D.

I actually got the game early and you know what I thought of the short crash section? It handled fine.
Seriously
it
handled
fine
No input lag or the like, it was a really good 'emulation' or whatever you wanna call it.

Sponge

Banned
Except I never said that, you made up your own narrative to make your point seem more logical than it is.

You never responded to why Naughty Dog clearly said they couldn't put a Crash game in UC4 a year. A simple "that is how it works" doesn't explain how suddenly they can put that in the game. I'm not really twisting anything.

You never responded to why Naughty Dog clearly said they couldn't put a Crash game in UC4 a year. A simple "that is how it works" doesn't explain how suddenly they can put that in the game. I'm not really twisting anything.

This is the biggest jarring thing about the whole case to me. If it was so IMPOSSIBLE, what changed?

A license was granted for this? JUST this?

A license for Sony to use Crash, but Activision retain ownership, a la Spiderman movie rights with Sony/Marvel?

IP Ownership changed entirely?

BEcpVhm.png

Sponge

Banned
This is the biggest jarring thing about the whole case to me. If it was so IMPOSSIBLE, what changed?

A license was granted for this? JUST this?

A license for Sony to use Crash, but Activision retain ownership, a la Spiderman movie rights with Sony/Marvel?

IP Ownership changed entirely?

It could be any of those, but the second and third seem the mostly likely to me. Why no mention in the credits though? For Bruce Straley to say they had no control over it and then it happened anyway makes me think there was some kind of deal made.

I did, it's called Activison and ND making a deal. You are going for Sony owning the Ip when nothing has changed in any of the 3 letters of IP, (C), TM, and (R)

TedHub

Banned
That's not how emulation works, part of the games original coding can still be emulated and some post after changes latter.

It's got so many changes and is unfaithful enough to the original in ways that are completely irrelevant to its function as a short minigame that it would just be stupid and incredibly, incredibly overcomplicated for them to modify the original game to make them rather than just recreate the segment.

Sponge

Banned
I did, it's called Activison and ND making a deal. You are going for Sony owning the Ip when nothing has changed in any of the 3 letters of IP, (C), TM, and (R)

I've said before that it could very well mean that Sony and Activision could make a deal, I've also said it could mean they bought the IP. None of us know, sorry for speculating because that's clearly been bothering you on multiple threads with multiple people.

All I've suggested is that Naughty Dog could not put Crash 1 in UC4 without permission from Activision, which very well could mean a deal was made.

I've said before that it could very well mean that Sony and Activision could make a deal, I've also said it could mean they bought the IP. None of us know, sorry for speculating because that's clearly been bothering you on multiple threads with multiple people.

All I've suggested is that Naughty Dog could not put Crash 1 in UC4 without permission from Activision, which very well could mean a deal was made.

You are saying Sony got the IP is a suggestion and speculation when it is factually false when sites containing the (C),. TM, (R) Infos all have it under Activision. It's not speculation it's literally removing yourself from reality, and don't give me this hidden buy out thing, that's not an actual thing they can do. They can't sell it and then pretend they didn't to the public, especially since both companies have Investors. It would indicate on some sites, even if not all, that there was a change happening or pending, just like the MS Gears acquisition.

You are saying Sony got the IP is a suggestion and speculation when it is factually false when sites containing the (C),. TM, (R) Infos all have it under Activision. It's not speculation it's literally removing yourself from reality, and don't give me this hidden buy out thing, that's not an actual thing they can do. They can't sell it and then pretend they didn't to the public, especially since both companies have Investors. It would indicate on some sites, even if not all, that there was a change happening or pending, just like the MS Gears acquisition.

They are certainly allowed to work on a deal behind the scenes and then announce it to investors/shareholders and the public at the same time. They are also allowed to back out of such deals if shareholders disapprove, after they're public. Either way, USPTO, Copyright or domain listings do not necessarily indicate a 100% complete picture of ownership on their own. They also do not indicate any licensing deals, which as you've said yourself are more than possible.

SNURB

Has he ever explained the Long Sleeves + T-Shirt thing? It's so off-putting every time I see it.

I don't see why it's off putting? It's kind of a popular trend and I think Nathan Drake at one point worn it at one point in one of the Uncharted games. Unless you're talking about the color.

Edson Farley an art book and a game for distribution aren't that different. Do you think everything outside of actual games is a copyright free for all?

Just reaaaally, really dense.

SNURB

Edson Farley an art book and a game for distribution aren't that different. Do you think everything outside of actual games is a copyright free for all?

Just reaaaally, really dense.

Let's not bring it up to debate. Otherwise we'll have about 30 pages worth of arguing over rights issues.

Has he ever explained the Long Sleeves + T-Shirt thing? It's so off-putting every time I see it.

Let your arms go for too long, get a little hefty and short sleeve t shirts make you look weird. Long sleeves hide it and he'd be wearing a suit normally, but they want these dudes on stage wearing gamer shirts.

Let your arms go for too long, get a little hefty and short sleeve t shirts make you look weird. Long sleeves hide it and he'd be wearing a suit normally, but they want these dudes on stage wearing gamer shirts.

Plus it tends to make for an easy compliment to the t-shirts since usually he swaps them more than once per show.

Elfstruck

At this point, just wait until E3. If it happens, we all can laugh at the doubters. If it's not happening, no big deal. Crash is dead.

Ooccoo

And now the long-awaited return of Crash...as a PS2 classic on PSN!
Edit: as some kind of updated trilogy

PseudoViper

I can't take these type of threads right now. My heart is too week lol

If it's not happening I don't wanna hear about any speculation.

Top Bottom