• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

Lima

Ugh what is with that white line on the right side of the screen? I have to enable overscan to get rid of it. That is not cool Mr. Gilbert.

I just played the demo, and I'm pretty mad at Double Fine. There are two basic game design choice that simply suck and are not excusable.

First of all, why is there 7 character when you can play with 3. That means that to see everything you have to play the game 3 times (which is ok), but the third playtrough will suck, why isn't there 9 character? Or 6? 7 isn't a multile of 3, unless there's some surprise to spice things up in the third playthrough, it will be a chore :/

But more, I hope I'm just a stupid asshole that missed something in the help screen or some info, but why can't we move several characters simultaniously? In point & click games, you keep walking arround, fucking up with the different things you can interact with, you can even double click to fast travels when you're getting tired of the area. Here it's an awful chore to move arround without any sort of fast travel, and to make things worst, there are three characters to move separately. It must be pretty nice if you play with two buddies, but playing alone on a simple puzzle in a fairly limited area was a very bad experience, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be in the late part of the game when the puzzle will get crazy. Or maybe the puzzle will keep being simple to make things bearable.

Damn, I would so like to enjoy Double Fine's game, their universe are awesome, and there's always a nice idea or concept, but they ALWAYS fuck something up. They really need to hire some game designers, or maybe they should do visual novels, or pure point & click like in the old days. Do they even test their games? I shouldn't get mad for stupid things like video games, but they have soooo much potential, I'm always astonished by their ability to fuck up their game in one way or another.

I hope that the kickstarter point & click will be a glorious success, these guys should never make another game with some gameplay in it.

eXistor

I think the game is pretty damn great so far. Lovely style and setup (very Maniac Mansion) and other than some performance issues (WiiU, the screen almost never smoothly scrolls) and an overall lack of difficulty (never been stuck for a minute so far) it's everything I want it to be. The parts that count are great, who cares if there's a few minor issues. Solid game imo, must-buy for Gilbert fans.

Lima

But more, I hope I'm just a stupid asshole that missed something in the help screen or some info, but why can't we move several characters simultaniously? In point & click games, you keep walking arround, fucking up with the different things you can interact with, you can even double click to fast travels when you're getting tired of the area. Here it's an awful chore to move arround without any sort of fast travel, and to make things worst, there are three characters to move separately. It must be pretty nice if you play with two buddies, but playing alone on a simple puzzle in a fairly limited area was a very bad experience, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be in the late part of the game when the puzzle will get crazy. Or maybe the puzzle will keep being simple to make things bearable.

No there is no way to control multiple characters.

Given the fact that there are basically no critical platforming sequences, there is no excuse why this game doesn't have online coop. I just don't have two people living near me that want to play this game three times.

I just played the demo, and I'm pretty mad at Double Fine. There are two basic game design choice that simply suck and are not excusable.

First of all, why is there 7 character when you can play with 3. That means that to see everything you have to play the game 3 times (which is ok), but the third playtrough will suck, why isn't there 9 character? Or 6? 7 isn't a multile of 3, unless there's some surprise to spice things up in the third playthrough, it will be a chore :/

Damn, I would so like to enjoy Double Fine's game, their universe are awesome, and there's always a nice idea or concept, but they ALWAYS fuck something up. They really need to hire some game designers, or maybe they should do visual novels, or pure point & click like in the old days. Do they even test their games? I shouldn't get mad for stupid things like video games, but they have soooo much potential, I'm always astonished by their ability to fuck up their game in one way or another.

I hope that the kickstarter point & click will be a glorious success, these guys should never make another game with some gameplay in it.

I seem to recall Ron saying that he wanted seven characters because that's what he did in Maniac Mansion, and it's sort of a return to that in a way? Hopefully playing as that final, seventh character changes some things up for the two characters you already played as.

G-Pink

If you're having the issue where the game doesn't start installing, restart steam, delete local content on the game, and restart the install.

Just for those having a problem.

If you're having the issue where the game doesn't start installing, restart steam, delete local content on the game, and restart the install.

Just for those having a problem.

I had this issue, now that I'm in the game, the textures are all messed up. I can't see floors and walls half the time.

DFNathan

Neo Member
I had this issue, now that I'm in the game, the textures are all messed up. I can't see floors and walls half the time.

You probably have MSAA forced on through your video card drivers. Try turning that to "application controlled" or "off" and all will be well. If not, verify the integrity of the game cache through steam as something may have not downloaded correctly.

You probably have MSAA forced on through your video card drivers. Try turning that to "application controlled" or "off" and all will be well. If not, verify the integrity of the game cache through steam as something may have not downloaded correctly.

Yeah, thanks. I just read the same thing on the Double Fine page. It fixed it!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You would think that after having complaints about the locked 30 fps cap on the PC versions of every doublefine game released over the past 2 years, that they'd go out of their way to fix it.

Nope.

DFNathan

Neo Member
Tried the demo for a few minutes on 360. Great atmosphere, looks fun as hell. Slight framerate woes though. But being a puzzle adventure game, I don't really mind.

How is the ps3 version? Same performance as 360?

Just wanted to let folks who are affected by this know that The Cave does a lot of asset streaming and is sensitive to HD performance issues. One common source of extra hard drive strain is downloading games in the background. We've had a few reports of users who had pretty rough experiences that later cleared up (like this one), probably due to the system doing less in the BG.

DFNathan

Neo Member
You would think that after having complaints about the locked 30 fps cap on the PC versions of every doublefine game released over the past 2 years, that they'd go out of their way to fix it.

Nope.

We hear those complaints loud and clear. It's still on the list of things to fix, but shipping The Cave on 5 (soon to be 6) platforms took precedence. When we have that update to our renderer, we'll roll it out to previously released games (like The Cave).

The idea, as I understand it, is to give replay value when you replay it. You're not really supposed to race through it three times just after each other and just be done with the game. It's a bit silly to get so worked about something like that. Play it twice with different sets, and then leave the least interesting character for if you return to it later on. It seems odd that you want them to cut a character just because you absolutely must see everything as soons as possible.

Grimsen

Just wanted to let folks who are affected by this know that The Cave does a lot of asset streaming and is sensitive to HD performance issues. One common source of extra hard drive strain is downloading games in the background. We've had a few reports of users who had pretty rough experiences that later cleared up (like this one), probably due to the system doing less in the BG.

Thanks for the info but It's not the case for me. Trying both 360 and ps3 demos side by side right now, and the framerate stutter is a lot more present on the 360. It's barely noticeable on ps3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We hear those complaints loud and clear. It's still on the list of things to fix, but shipping The Cave on 5 (soon to be 6) platforms took precedence. When we have that update to our renderer, we'll roll it out to previously released games (like The Cave).
Same 30FPS cap on the Mac version, I'm guessing, right?

Btw, what's the 6th platform?

nny

Just finished with my first 3 characters (Time Traveler, Scientist, Adventurer). Very nice, especially the Time Traveler scenario!

DFNathan

Neo Member
wow, it this the first DoubleFine employee we have on GAF?

welcome Nathan

Hey, folks! Thanks for welcoming me to NeoGAF! Chris Remo is the first DF employee to post here. I think I'm the second. I've been a long time lurker here at NeoGAF. I basically visit whenever I want to see what really serious gamers think about a given topic.

I applied for a forum account before the holidays, but it took a while for it to get activated. Thankfully, just in time for The Cave's release :)

My main goal here is to help resolve any technical issues folks have with our games and also to make sure our engineers know what sorts of problems occur "in the wild" :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is this the first time they've launched a game on so many platforms at once? I cant remember another...

Lima

My main goal here is to help resolve any technical issues folks have with our games and also to make sure our engineers know what sorts of problems occur "in the wild" :)

Minor problem but just wanted to let you know what I said earlier.

There is some crazy things going on on the right side of the screen on the 360. I tested this on two TV's and two 360's. If you have overscan disabled and 1:1 pixel mapping you will see this.

I will test the ps3 version later to see if it has the same issue.

Yuripaw

Banned
Is there any way to have the other characters just follow you? I'm finding having to constantly switch between the 3 just so they can go to the same location sometimes can be kinda annoying.

Is there any way to have the other characters just follow you? I'm finding having to constantly switch between the 3 just so they can go to the same location sometimes can be kinda annoying.

Just don't bother walking them around until you actually need them somewhere else. There are checkpoints scattered throughout the game that will automatically catch them up for you. But most of the time there's no real need to keep them in the same place.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just fired it up, it's funny and looks gorgeous but yeah, the camera stuff is weird. It sounded like the smart choice on the GB QL but now I'm not so sure...

-GJ-

Just fired it up, it's funny and looks gorgeous but yeah, the camera stuff is weird. It sounded like the smart choice on the GB QL but now I'm not so sure...

The camera system works great when you're playing co-op with two friends. When you're alone it's a little iffy.

DFNathan

Neo Member
Minor problem but just wanted to let you know what I said earlier.

There is some crazy things going on on the right side of the screen on the 360. I tested this on two TV's and two 360's. If you have overscan disabled and 1:1 pixel mapping you will see this.

I will test the ps3 version later to see if it has the same issue.

Yes, this is because the game renders at 1200x720 (one of the max sizes that fits in the 360's EDRAM w/ MRT enabled). There is a hardware bug that shows that white line in this resolution. Most people never see it because most displays overscan at least a little bit, but apparently yours does not. There's nothing we can do about it, but if you can overscan a bit more, even by a few pixels, then you'll be g2g.

Was there a technical reason that the WiiU version can't be played on the Gamepad, because that's a pretty big disappointment for me, and I imagine a few others.

Still getting it though Nathan and Chris!

zkylon

zkylewd
The camera system works great when you're playing co-op with two friends. When you're alone it's a little iffy.
Could be, I think the key thing would be to have either one or three players, because I tried it for a bit with my brother and it was very weird and we felt we had to drag the third guy along all the time.

I think having a button to call the AI to rally on you (maybe double tapping on the d-pad and a separate button for everyone) would make things way better.

Was there a technical reason that the WiiU version can't be played on the Gamepad, because that's a pretty big disappointment for me, and I imagine a few others.

Still getting it though Nathan and Chris!

As our first game on Wii U (on any Nintendo platform for that matter), the bulk of our effort had to be spent ensuring that the engine was ported over well and that the game made the transition safely. We were also shipping on more platforms than we've ever shipped on at once before, and there just wasn't the time and bandwidth to support off-TV mode, unfortunately. That mode requires the dev to implement it entirely (as opposed to simply being handled by the hardware), and it just wasn't feasible with the resources we had.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
Played about an hour and half tonight and enjoying it so far. Going in blind to pre-release coverage, my only complaint is I had to use the in-game help to learn how to use the characters special abilities.

Enjoying the narrator dialogue quite a bit, as well as some very Double-Fine art telling the character backstories.

I wouldn't really compare this heavily to Trine -- it's not physics based. Much more focused on item and character combos.

It feels pretty solid for the price point. Agree for the most part with GiantBomb's review, except I think Alex was too hard on the humor. He's a bit sarcastic for my taste, though, and the game is more jovial.

Finally, loving the nods to past work
Chuck the Flame, New Grog

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm very pleasantly surprised with the dark tone of the game. I thought I was getting into a very campy thing and turns out it's a lot more sinister than it initially let on.

The first few puzzles have been pretty cool, I got into a glitch that I think broke my game so I had to reload but really I don't mind those sort of things if the core game is fine, and so far it is.

Amneisac

Having a hard time getting used to the way the local co-op works as far as which character controls the camera. That and the weird 24hz thing that took a while to figure out, and then realizing it was capped at 30fps, has made this pretty disappointing so far. My wife and I couldn't really get into it.

Maybe I'll try again after some patches. (on PC)

Artanisix

The carnival is kicking my ASS. Specifically the Guess Your Weight! machine.

I feel like the Cupcake and the Barbell have something to do with the solution, but I haven't figured it out yet...
Will have to think about this one!

EDIT: OH SHIT! Just got it! That busted my balls for a long while!

Top Bottom