• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'CD' Stands For 'Crunching Developers' (The Jimquisition)

MiguelItUp

I personally don't mind Jim. He's a familiar face as I used to love Destructoid back in the early to mid/late 2000s. When he started doing The Jimquisition he clearly had a specific schtick that may not be for everyone, and that's totally fine. I'm not some gung-ho fan about his content or anything, but I'll check his content out from time to time.

I just feel like there are so many YouTubers that just regurgitate the same content so no one really does anything original. Which, yeah, that's gonna happen with big stories and stuff. But it feels like a constant these days. So you just look at an ocean of them and pluck the ones that bother you the least, or you enjoy the most.

I just have an issue with him talking about crunch, because yeah, I'm sure he has plenty of acquaintances and friends in the game industry that are SO upset about crunch. But, they can always leave the AAA industry and go to an indie dev to remain in the industry while dodging the crunch bullet. The harsh truth is that crunch is not going to leave the AAA industry until the industry itself is willing to change. So if you're wanting to work in the AAA industry, but don't want to crunch, you're in the wrong place. At least until the AAA industry changes, if they ever do.

So, then what happens is you have these people that stay in the AAA industry while making a huge stink in an attempt to be heard. Because they're not happy with THEIR situation, they're not speaking for an entire department(s) of people. It's like 1-4 people out of 300+ people. They talked to management or didn't, felt ignored, and go to the press. It's stupid, entitled, selfish, and shitty as they're throwing everyone else on the team under the bus as they've put them in the sights of "news outlets".

Man, every time this comes up I just rage, lmao.

Boneless

I personally don't mind Jim. He's a familiar face as I used to love Destructoid back in the early to mid/late 2000s. When he started doing The Jimquisition he clearly had a specific schtick that may not be for everyone, and that's totally fine. I'm not some gung-ho fan about his content or anything, but I'll check his content out from time to time.

I just feel like there are so many YouTubers that just regurgitate the same content so no one really does anything original. Which, yeah, that's gonna happen with big stories and stuff. But it feels like a constant these days. So you just look at an ocean of them and pluck the ones that bother you the least, or you enjoy the most.

I just have an issue with him talking about crunch, because yeah, I'm sure he has plenty of acquaintances and friends in the game industry that are SO upset about crunch. But, they can always leave the AAA industry and go to an indie dev to remain in the industry while dodging the crunch bullet. The harsh truth is that crunch is not going to leave the AAA industry until the industry itself is willing to change. So if you're wanting to work in the AAA industry, but don't want to crunch, you're in the wrong place. At least until the AAA industry changes, if they ever do.

So, then what happens is you have these people that stay in the AAA industry while making a huge stink in an attempt to be heard. Because they're not happy with THEIR situation, they're not speaking for an entire department(s) of people. It's like 1-4 people out of 300+ people. They talked to management or didn't, felt ignored, and go to the press. It's stupid, entitled, selfish, and shitty as they're throwing everyone else on the team under the bus as they've put them in the sights of "news outlets".

Man, every time this comes up I just rage, lmao.

So you don't mind him, you just rage about what he writes.

Megatron

Honestly, Crunsh is just a problem for milenials who think working FORTY hours is horrifying. Welcome to the real world, kids.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Usually can't stand this Jim guy but have to agree with him. I am done supporting CDPR. They deserve every bit of criticism that comes their way. The management are incompetent greedy assholes.

This 3rd delay has done it for me. I can't defend them anymore. Won't be getting any more money off me until they get their shit together. They aren't the "good guys of gaming" as people like to make them out to be. They are shady slimy greedy fucks and more people are realising this now. Their image has taken a huge hit this year. Can't even release a fucking game that has gone gold. What a joke.

Honestly, Crunsh is just a problem for milenials who think working FORTY hours is horrifying. Welcome to the real world, kids.
You do know that developers at CDPR are working 60-100 hour weeks, right? Some are doing 16 hour days.

I think you are the one who needs to realise how the real world works, kid.

How many hours do you work?

Last edited:

Megatron

Usually can't stand this Jim guy but have to agree with him. I am done supporting CDPR. They deserve every bit of criticism that comes their way. The management are incompetent greedy assholes.

This 3rd delay has done it for me. I can't defend them anymore. Won't be getting any more money off me until they get their shit together. They aren't the "good guys of gaming" as people like to make them out to be. They are shady slimy greedy fucks and more people are realising this now. Their image has taken a huge hit this year. Can't even release a fucking game that has gone gold. What a joke.

You do know that developers at CDPR are working 60-100 hour weeks, right? Some are even doing 16 hour days.

40. but they are also making way, way more money than I am thanks largely to the profit sharing they get for delivering this game this year, and it’s only for another month and a half. It ain’t permanent.

Are the developers crying about it? Because if they aren’t, then why are you? They’re adults, they can make their own choices. They don’t need us to white knight for them.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m not a fan of crunching or whatever they call it, as I know what long days can do for you. In the Marine Corps the average day is 12-16 hours with PT involved., not counting when you are on training missions out in the boonies for days at a time.

It can affect you mentally, physically your body can be worn out and close to a breaking point. Mentally you can get easily depressed, things don’t seem to addup right in your head when preplanning missions. It is a cluster fuck.

Civilians should never be put in this position voluntarily, as I don’t believe it is safe at all. Push the game back if you have. However, if it is just 12 hour days, I don’t really see the big deal, any thing over that is pushing it.

I bet Jim's fat ass has no problem making the staff at the all you can eat buffet crunch while he's shoving food down his face

A7bC.gif

MiguelItUp

Are the developers crying about it? Because if they aren’t, then why are you? They’re adults, they can make their own choices. They don’t need us to white knight for them.
Exactly. The only ones crying about it are the ones wanting to stir something up, so they're going to the journalists with info. They're usually the minority. Majority of the devs in AAA that crunch are just doing their job. Doesn't mean they like crunch, they just know that it's sometimes required and expected in AAA, so they prepare and just do their job. Not to mention, there are usually folks that work longer than others. Not because they have to, but because they want to. In both studios I've worked for there were always a few of them.

Kenpachii

But the real world is 40 hours.

40. but they are also making way, way more money than I am thanks largely to the profit sharing they get for delivering this game this year, and it’s only for another month and a half. It ain’t permanent.

Because getting fired maybe? and you are out of a job?

For somebody that talks about how the real world works u sure know little about it.

Last edited:

Megatron

But the real world is 40 hours.
40 hours is the baseline, the standard, but everyone with a real job has to work overtime once in a while, And most don’t get compensated nearly as well.

Because getting fired maybe? and you are out of a job?

For somebody that talks about how the real world works u sure know little about it.

Maybe? Dude, get out of here with your idle speculation. ‘Let’s all be so outraged for these people who aren’t complaining about their situation because maybe they’re afraid to!’ They’re adults, with highly specialized, in-demand skil-sets. If they didn’t want to be there they have options.

Last edited:

Shrap

The fine people on both sides miss the most critical issue with crunch - it decreases productivity. Staff who work longer hours and constant overtime are less focused, more fatigued and far less efficient than those that work regular hours. It's why Japan has abysmal productivity despite the fact that almost everyone works overtime.

Crunch is a shitty strategy implemented by incompetent management. Plan your games out better and don't make deadlines you can't meet.

Megatron

Crunch is a shitty strategy implemented by incompetent management. Plan your games out better and don't make deadlines you can't meet.
Yeah, can you believe those idiot managers didn’t plan for a worldwide pandemic? Incompetent management, I tell you!

Last edited:

CuNi

It's been part and parcel of the industry since the beginning. Jim talking utter crap these days

Good point! Why change things that always were a certain way. I mean child labor, lack of safety procedures, less than minimum wage jobs etc. are all industry standards in certain areas. Why point this out and try to change it when it clearly works and always been this way... /s

Crunch needs to go and everyone who defends it is just supporting abuse and peer pressure.

Fuck off Jim, you fat fuck.

Bold of you to assume that 10% is going to be evenly split amongst the employees, and not massively weighted towards executives as it is for most corporations.

Regardless of what the Jimquisition has to say about it, this situation is purely and simply down to poor project management from CDPR. Bad scoping, bad planning, bad management.
Its one thing to crunch that extra bit in the final month or two before launch, but its another thing entirely to have that crunch window extended out, and then extended out again. The producers bit off more than they could chew, and now the developers have to suffer for it.

Whole industry is rife with it, so what can you do though?

People go over the top about crunch, if you work in supermarkets or retail they try to get you to crunch to the same degree over Christmas or busy periods. You are getting paid its not slave labour

Having worked in those retail crunch periods when I was younger, I can attest to it being pretty fucking shit from November through to early January. However, its usually only November through to January. Its known and predictable. You don't have situations where Christmas is delayed 6 months, so you have to keep working stupid crunch hours, only for it to get delayed again by another 2 months.

And, just because working conditions in retail are shit, doesn't make it okay for working conditions in game development to be shit. Should be better for everyone.

Good point! Why change things that always were a certain way.

Yes, a company and developers who entered a voluntary agreement and who voluntarily decide to remain bound by that agreement should change their voluntarily agreed ways to conform to the views of Mr. CuNi , because enlightened social activist Mr. CuNi does the thinking and the rest of society does the obeying.

I mean child labor, lack of safety procedures, less than minimum wage jobs etc. are all industry standards in certain areas.

I won't be getting into a discussion you seem unqualified for. To me, it's almost as if you have never ever heard the other side of the argument. You don't have to agree but pretending no position other than your own exists or that the other side is comprised of evil capitalist pigs trying to squeeze every last penny out of 9-year olds is a vision one is usually equipped to leave behind at 12.

These views are readily available to those who truly want to know.

Why point this out and try to change it when it clearly works and always been this way... /s

Pleas let the thread know whey you've gotten around to familiarizing yourself with the other side's position.

Crunch needs to go

Oh, Mr. CuNi , Enlightened One.
If you say so.

Please, society at large, Mr. CuNi has just emerged from his weekly thinking session and has now decreed that crunch must go. Please fellow citizens make sure you follow his determinations. He knows how to run your lives better than yourselves.

Obey Mr. CuNi .

and everyone who defends it is just supporting abuse and peer pressure.

I definitely absolutely categorically unequivocally 100 % support the right of anyone to crunch if they want to, to run their lives as they want to, to express their opinions, including telling colleagues if they should or should crunch.

I stand for individual rights, the freedom to govern one's life as one wants to and the freedom to speak one's mind amidst colleagues.

You stand for a tyrannical view of society, where others are somehow inexplicably obliged to live according to your values and your inclinations and your notions of what's fair.

Personally, I don't care for your values and your inclinations and your notions of what's fair. At all.

Last edited:

Boneless

Good point! Why change things that always were a certain way. I mean child labor, lack of safety procedures, less than minimum wage jobs etc. are all industry standards in certain areas. Why point this out and try to change it when it clearly works and always been this way... /s

Crunch needs to go and everyone who defends it is just supporting abuse and peer pressure.

Crunch needs to go, as in, overhours should be illegal? Please define crunch for me. What if I work 16 hours a week by contract, but I get asked to work 20 hours for 2 weeks, is that crunch?

notseqi

Poland in lockdown since 23.10. btw.
Should they have decided to keep their employees safe by going back to full home office work the whole thing looks a bit different again.

CuNi CuNi
Even Poland has adults, adults capable of making their own decisions. I'd wait for non-Schreier or Reeeeturd-Era news to hear about their thoughts on additional work. Internal communication isn't the same as 'leaked' eMails or somebody who left the company for reasons nobody can be sure about, me leaning towards being shit at their job.

azz0r

Banned
As a developer whose been through many myself; you expect it, you know it's coming, you know why it's happening.

Honestly the pearl clutching on the internet from non-developers is hilarious

tommycronin

Banned
People were saying the exact same shit about Lou2 and now who gives a fuck about the crunch work done with the game. Cyberpunk is just the next game on the this game is gonna make a lot of money easily we need a controversy pre-launch to make ourselves feel better while we boycott the game and then play the game during our boycott.

Reactions: MrS

Redlancet

Banned
As a developer whose been through many myself; you expect it, you know it's coming, you know why it's happening.

Honestly the pearl clutching on the internet from non-developers is hilarious
jim doesnt care for developers,he have smeared them and drag them trought the mud a lof of times making fun of their hard work,he is doing this for virtua signaling

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's getting to the point where I think gaming "journalists" care about this issue WAAAY more than the average gamer. For what ever that's worth.....
Journalists work in the industry, of course they care about it more than the average gamer. The average outspoken gamer is an ignorant twat who doesn't care how the media they consume gets produced as long as it keeps getting produced.

If people don't care about their consumer goods being produced by slave labor in China why would they give a fuck about weeks/months of overtime for some developers?

Last edited:
Journalists work in the industry, of course they care about it more than the average gamer. The average outspoken gamer is an ignorant twat who doesn't care how the media they consume gets produced as long as it keeps getting produced.

If people don't care about their consumer goods being produced by slave labor in China why would they give a fuck about weeks/months of overtime for some developers?

Yes, it's the only possible scenario.

On one side, there's virtuous cognizant industry-savvy people such as yourself, on the other the mob of "outspoken" "ignorant twat "s who're so self-absorbed in their onanism they don't care about Crunch.

Your subtle attempt to insinuate Crunch is anything like or even anything in the vein of "slave labour in China" is noted.

I'm sure no one noticed it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I know this is a joke, but I have seen folks genuinely use this as ammo to push that "look at what crunch does to you!"

You do know that developers at CDPR are working 60-100 hour weeks, right? Some are doing 16 hour days.

*looks at title*

Oh. This most makes a lot more sense now. Adorable.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I bet without crunch we would not have many classic games. Probably many of Jim’s favorites. Not that he would admit it, the rage around crunch is quite selective, and easily used as a cudgel against people you politically disagree with.

I have yet to see any evidence that crunch is some horrible widespread thing that does long term damage. I am sorry, there are child laborers in Africa mining cobalt for our smartphone batteries, and I should give a shut about some Cali devs having to stay late? BOOO HOOO. Oh no did 3 or 4 people ruin their marriages? That happens without crunch. It ruins their bodily health? Look at Humpty Dumpty telling me this! He is practically a beached whale, is that the result of crunch?

Jim and his ilk are just professional virtue signallers. Spend all their time hyping up these luxury consumer products as long as they periodically adopt this fake stance of “being with the workers”. Does this fat fuck look like he has worked a day in his life? Has he ever made anything himself? No he is a leech whose entire job is based on pointing at things other people have made and worked on and screeching like one of the bad children from Willy Wonka.

Honestly I can’t stand this shit. If you want to be a industry watchdog then you should not be REVIEWING and HYPING these games it’s entirely hypocritical he wants his cake and to eat it too. By the looks of things this fat fuck eats cake constantly. All while complaining about the work OTHER people are doing. And he does so while engaging in SJW style harassment campaigns which makes devs lives harder.

Seriously fuck this tabloid whiny bitch motherfucker.

Last edited:

This 3rd delay has done it for me.

That's very interesting.

Because Jim's video predates the third delay and you're now saying the third delay is what changed your mind.

It just doesn't add up.

I can't defend them anymore.

That's also very interesting.

What in the situation made it ok for you to defend CDPR in the first two delays, but not in the third? What changes qualitatively with three additional weeks?

Won't be getting any more money off me until they get their shit together. They aren't the "good guys of gaming" as people like to make them out to be. They are shady slimy greedy fucks

I'm here scratching my head.

How is a three-week delay a sign of "slimy" greediness? How can it possibly be a sign of slimy greediness when you supported CDPR in the previous two longer delays, which, evidently, you didn't se as signs of slimy greediness?

Would you care to make sense?

and more people are realising this now.

The fact more people are allegedly agreeing with you says nothing about whether you're right or not.

Their image has taken a huge hit this year.

Quite possibly.

Can't even release a fucking game that has gone gold. What a joke.

I'm glad you find it an easy task to release a multiplatform AAA ambitious title. I'm not claiming they've been perfect, but with the kind of certainty you exude, why not apply for a position at CDPR tech department? They could use the help.

I know some have chosen to crunch before mandatory overtime kicked in and I also know they will be duly compensated. What seems to be the problem, again?

In fact, it's been a while I read such an incoherent post like yours. You rambling about how you have stood behind CDPR in the first two delays and came around in the third and you not providing any good reason is what your post amounts to.

Were I a CDPR developer, I'd reply "Enough", as in enough to know I get to decide if I crunch or not and enough not to take career advice from anonymous posters who know nothing about the state of the game outside of what they've been officially told, know nothing of the implications delays have on finances and production, know nothing about the legal implications, but still choose to pass definitive pronouncements as though they do.

If the hat fits, wear it.

Fuz

Banned
I have a friend who was a designer in Ferrari. the months before a presentation he worked every day 16 hours. Where's the outrage about that?
My father on fridays (and he worked 6 days, not 5, which is kinda the norm here) worked 17 hours + 1 hour extra. Where's the outrage about that?

But those poor delicate devs :(

I'm sorry, but I going to be a bit blunt here...

WHO THE FUCK CARES?

Is the plight of videogame developers really something we should be concerned about? Especially in these days of the Covid-19 pandemic when healthcare workers are seriously overworked and at risk of getting infected?

Why doesn't Jim "TREEPLE EEEYYY" Sterling do a video on them, instead of this non story?

I hear you somewhat. I get bored whenever he makes another microtransactions video but this guy's job is literally to get worked up about something and report on it. If he didn't he would have to give up this career.

Me personally I don't care. There's a lot of bad **** in the world and I acknowledge that crunch is bad but if I spent to much caring about every bad thing in the world I'd become depressed.

GreyHorace

I hear you somewhat. I get bored whenever he makes another microtransactions video but this guy's job is literally to get worked up about something and report on it. If he didn't he would have to give up this career.

Me personally I don't care. There's a lot of bad **** in the world and I acknowledge that crunch is bad but if I spent to much caring about every bad thing in the world I'd become depressed.

I sometimes work overtime in my job. It sucks but so what? It's part of the grind that's life in the workplace.

If anything the developers at CDProjektRed should be thankful they still have a job in this era of Covid-19. Many people are being laid off around the world because businesses are failing due to quarantine restrictions. I'm personally relieved that I still get to keep my job while working at home.

Why doesn't that fat fuck Sterling do a video on people in the videogame industry who've been laid off?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Every other game studio on the planet is paying attention:

Note to self, do not ever announce that you plan on not having crunch.. just quietly crunch massively like the rest of the industry, as the media has decided only CDPR is worth bashing lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yes, it's the only possible scenario.

One one side, there's virtuous cognizant industry-savvy people such as yourself, on the other the mob of "outspoken" "ignorant twat "[ s]" who're so self-absorbed in their onanism they don't care about Crunch.

Your subtle attempt to insinuate Crunch is anything like or even anything in the vein of "slave labour in China" is noted.

I'm sure no one noticed it.
Show us on the anatomically correct man-child doll where Jim Sterling touched you.

If you don't fancy working long hours don't work in the games industry or say in the movie Special Make-up Effect's industry; Both are notorious for long hours.
That's completely sperate from child labour which I'm sure no game developer will use unless you want to include Bug Testers.

I'm almost willing to bet the device you use to type this WOKE crap was made in China, like all the consoles not that you care for the Human rights of the Chinese workers and the long hours they have to work in the sweat shop factories, so you can enjoy your console and type such utter crap.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Good point!

CuNi

If you don't fancy working long hours don't work in the games industry or say in the movie Special Make-up Effect's industry; Both are notorious for long hours.
That's completely sperate from child labour which I'm sure no game developer will use unless you want to include Bug Testers.

I'm almost willing to bet the device you use to type this WOKE crap was made in China, like all the consoles not that you care for the Human rights of the Chinese workers and the long hours they have to work in the sweat shop factories, so you can enjoy your console and type such utter crap.

That's exactly the bullshit logik I was thinking about.
"Both are Notorious for long hours" yes that is true. Is that good though? NO.
We shouldn't look at something and say "It's always been that way, why change?" we should ask ourself "is it really any good?"

Saying "they are known for it" is not changing anything.
I'm not talking about occasional "overtime", I'm talking about planned, expected and horrific overworking. If you support that because "those jobs are notorious" then you should re-evaluate your moral compas.

Also, what the fuck with this crap about "the device you use to type this was made in china". So I am not allowed to complain and fight against unfair working conditions in those countries?
So if I ever bought a car, I'm not allowed to question the world pollution made by cars? Sometimes the depths of human ignorance amaze me.

Crunch needs to go, as in, overhours should be illegal? Please define crunch for me. What if I work 16 hours a week by contract, but I get asked to work 20 hours for 2 weeks, is that crunch?

I'm not against overhours etc.
I know that you can plan everything 100% and it'll align.
Yes it's kinda crap but 1 or 2 weeks of 50h instead of 40h is totally okay if you either get monetary compensation or additional days off in exchange.
But multiple weeks or even multiple months of constant overtime, not in a 50h a week but 60 hours a week and up kind of fashion, yes it should be more than illegal.
I don't know the situation in poland or the US etc, but I know those are, with only a very few exceptions, technically illegal and in those exceptions where it is allowed, it is very strictly controlled.
You are allowed to work up to 60h but you need to take the "overtime" in either days off or reduced working times in a span no longer than 6 months. So it compensates overtime with shorter days afterwards or complete days off.
Your yearly average working time per day is not allowed to be over 8h per day. So if you work once 10h you need to take 2h off on another day so your average is 8h again.

Last edited:

CuNi

I definitely absolutely categorically unequivocally 100 % support the right of anyone to crunch if they want to, to run their lives as they want to, to express their opinions, including telling colleagues if they should or should crunch.
I stand for individual rights, the freedom to govern one's life as one wants to and the freedom to speak one's mind amidst colleagues.
You stand for a tyrannical view of society, where others are somehow inexplicably obliged to live according to your values and your inclinations and your notions of what's fair.
Personally, I don't care for your values and your inclinations and your notions of what's fair. At all.

That's fair. That is your opinion and I'm glad you are a person who still can make up his personal opinion.
But we live in a society where we implement rules to better the live of everyone, which is why we have "DANGER" Signs etc. Sure that person can still touch that electric wire but we tried our best to warn him.
I am glad that, at least in Germany, there are laws against extreme overtime/crunch. Your average working time is expected to be no more than 8h a day on average. If your working contract already has more than 48h expected from you, it is voided automatically and you should report this to the authorities as it is illegal. I'm glad there are such rules and laws and If I would have to, I would gladly make use of them and I can only encourage everyone to do the same.

But we live in a society where we implement rules to better the live of everyone,

And here you run into the first but by no means the only glaring problem.

You are awarding yourself the right to declare what' betters " the lives of everyone" while willing to enforce your view on the whole of society through violence or the threat of violence, so that if I, as a dev, do want to crunch but somehow you've decided to put a society-wide ban on Crunch, your will shall prevail over mine in matters that do not concern you but affect me personally in significant ways.

Maybe you'll be able to spot the glaring difference between my view, where people who don't want to crunch don't and people who do want to do can, and your view where no one may, since your opinion on overtime now magically carries weight and trickles-down to the whole of society, under the implicit threat of state violence.

No, banning crunch would not "make life better for everyone", for the simple reason it can't be better for a developer to not be able to control his own professional life when he's not violating anybody's rights and instead have it suddenly governed and subjugated to the imperial will of those who don't know him from Adam.

which is why we have "DANGER" Signs etc. Sure that person can still touch that electric wire but we tried our best to warn him.

Again, I am not outsourcing my judgement to you. I am not forsaking my ability to decide for myself in matters that don't concern you. Please redirect your well-meaning instructional videos on how to live a balanced life to people requesting them.

You do not have the right to run my life.
The same applies to developers.

I am glad that, at least in Germany, there are laws against extreme overtime/crunch.

it's an authoritarian trespass upon the sovereignty of adults.

Your average working time is expected to be no more than 8h a day on average. If your working contract already has more than 48h expected from you, it is voided automatically and you should report this to the authorities as it is illegal. I'm glad there are such rules and laws and If I would have to, I would gladly make use of them and I can only encourage everyone to do the same.

And I encourage everyone to think for themselves and categorically reject any attempts of fellow humans to not mind their own business and try to regulate how others live when they are not violating anybody's rights.

Be an adult. Dismiss the well-meaning self-appointed tutors of your life.
Choose freedom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom