• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CHROMEHOUNDS appreciation thread - Because for some people, the war never ends

shuri

Banned
chromehounds_new_logo.jpg

The one and only, CHROMEHOUNDS. The game was trashed by foolish critics, it was one of the first titles for the 360; yet it ended up getting so many things right. I must have clocked over 300 hours in this game; it kicked out Mech2 as my top mech game. CHROMEHOUNDS!

chromehounds.jpg

new14.jpg

chromehounds_tn_76957_9.jpg

42903.chromehounds_24juin-24.jpg

chromehounds_tn_76958.jpg

chromehounds-20060712000721630-000.jpg

13.jpg

shot_817.jpg

The game was a phenomenon on GAF even if it had a rough launch week; the first months of the games were pure chaos as people were finding all sorts of crazy mech setups that could obliterate the competition; FROM SOFTWARE had to release patches and patches to balance everything; and yet to this day; people are stll enjoying the game and still coming up with new builds and setups.

If you buy the game now, expect to get owned; theres still a lot of activity going on, the war is still going on, and there's a bit of elitism going on; but its the case of every game that has been released for a while.

I just got done playing for about 3 hours with two japanese guys and random players would join and play a few rounds with us; we exchanged design tips and ideas thru simplified english, and we laughed at the crazy shootout we would get. It's still amazing to see the differences in japanese-designed mechs and american-made mechs; hilarious enough, the jpn players are always about speed and mobility; while north americans are all about firepower.

I wonder if FS will ever make a sequel, I have no idea if the game has sold a lot; but CH is perhaps my most played 360 game, and one fo my top 5 games, ever.

Discuss.

Jeff-DSA

This game got me through that initial release vacuum for the 360.

Great game.

Che helped me stay enthusiastic about the game long enough to get pretty good at it, and I often think about getting back into it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
fuck yeah. best online console game ever -- by far. i clocked 150+ hrs, but kind of fell out of it when that last patch came along. i don't have the patience to relearn things and build new mechs. i'm glad to hear that it's still active, though. chromehounds 2 pls

purg3

slept with Malkin
Truly awesome multiplayer game. Still up there as one of my favorite live games ever. A sequel needs to happen, like right now.

So many great memories from the GAF squads. :lol

purg3 said:
Truly awesome multiplayer game. Still up there as one of my favorite live games ever. A sequel needs to happen, like right now.

So many great memories from the GAF squads. :lol

The day I went too far with Mirik....

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I just don't understand people who sell games they have loved at one point.

It's not like you get THAT much money for your used copy, and you lose the chance to go back and play it whenever you want.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have heard so many great things about this game. Every time somebody reminds me that I let such a great gem like this pass, I feel like slamming my dick with a car door. Now its too late, I tried to play it a while ago and got massively owned.

chespace said:
I just don't understand people who sell games they have loved at one point.

It's not like you get THAT much money for your used copy, and you lose the chance to go back and play it whenever you want.

I know. It was very stupid of me. Luckily I must pay a real and damning price for my folly.

How friendly is it to jump into? I've heard much that points to it being fairly unfriendly to new users, which is mainly why I haven't picked it up. When I first started hearing about it before it came out I was pretty excited, but then I didn't get a 360 until early last December, so it was fairly late already. In any case, I wasn't too fond of the Armored Core demo, so it looks to be the only mech game worth playing on the 360, which is an itch that I definitely need to scratch.

Though nothing can possibly match the immersive glory that was Steel Battalion.

Elhandro

Is there a beginners league for this game? I wanted to get involved from the beggining but I felt like it would be to little to late.

I really do like Mech games though.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Peronthious said:
How friendly is it to jump into? I've heard much that points to it being fairly unfriendly to new users, which is mainly why I haven't picked it up. When I first started hearing about it before it came out I was pretty excited, but then I didn't get a 360 until early last December, so it was fairly late already. In any case, I wasn't too fond of the Armored Core demo, so it looks to be the only mech game worth playing on the 360, which is an itch that I definitely need to scratch.

Though nothing can possibly match the immersive glory that was Steel Battalion.

Honestly, once you build a hound that you are comfortable with, the rest will come easily. Most people who still play, just whore out a few different builds anyway. The best part is playing with a cool group of guys, I don't really care about winning as much, as long as I'm having fun.

J-Rzez

Definitely one of the most overlooked titles of this gen for online play. Even SP wasn't too bad. It was this and Dead Rising that were the only 2 titles that kept my 360 from feeling too lonely. The persistent war was GREAT, and I wish other companies would follow this lead, but expand upon the depth of it.

...Come to think of it. Why don't devs do this? I mean, I know Zipper is hinted at doing this, but that's only one other really on consoles. It's a great concept and really adds to the experience.

J-Rzez said:
Definitely one of the most overlooked titles of this gen for online play. Even SP wasn't too bad. It was this and Dead Rising that were the only 2 titles that kept my 360 from feeling too lonely. The persistent war was GREAT, and I wish other companies would follow this lead, but expand upon the depth of it.

...Come to think of it. Why don't devs do this? I mean, I know Zipper is hinted at doing this, but that's only one other really on consoles. It's a great concept and really adds to the experience.

I've been publicly begging Studio Liverpool to bring the concept to Wipeout and it looks like they're slowly adapting it into their Team Rankings system.

That may not be a sign of further embracing this concept and more of a testament to how awesome I am at asking for things.

Chichikov

Greatest console online game ever.
By far.
And yeah, Chromehouds 2 needs to happen.
Maybe we should start an online petition, these always work.

chespace said:
Let's get the band back together.
Hell yeah.

Peronthious said:
The learning curve is mostly in design, and since you can trade designs it’s hardly a problem.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Geoff9920 said:
I always liked the lighting in this game. Especially during night matches.

Yeah, those were great. Especially when you are approaching a hill and you see bright flashes of explosions in the distance. And as you get closer, missile and bullet tracers start flying past you. It really shows how well the engine can handle lighting effects.

soldat7 said:
I shoulda not listened to the reviews on this one. I shoulda bought it when it was fresh... :(
Most reviewers never got to play the multiplayer of Chrome Hounds, hence why it scored so low.

FROM Software also did a poor job with the demo too, which only had single player content.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I just want to add that the game is so damn good, inspite of how awful it handles certain elements of its online system.

FROM dropped the ball on so many aspects of the game, and yet, got enough of it so fucking spot on that I spent more than 200 hours playing it online.

Kingpen

I had bought - rebought the game 3 times so far because it was always good to get GAF motivated to get back into it. I tried to pioneer some reunion tours in the past as well. I do think though I'm going to let it ride into the sunset since I have an absolute assload of games in my backlog that I need to get into. I'm glad you guys are getting back into it though...

If they announced Chromehounds 2 however - I would go and reserve it paid in full the very next day. I'm really surprised there is not a sequel planned because I thought it sold decently.

Here is a little tip - after the last patch I knew hit the game, a lot of people were buying the multi-grenade launchers from the LIVE marketplace for 150 points. You can really create a death hound with those now...

Spooka

Time to bust out my Bay City Rollers mech. Easily my favorite online console game. It shows how awesome the game is that it can withstand the problems. Need to get the PocketHitler in on this. And the rest of the Dream Team.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I didn't enjoy the actual "game"... but the online stuff was friggin' brilliant. I'm stunned more devs have not completely ripped off the semi-persistent online war that incorporated adversarial gameplay and co-op... with customization and a squad system that served as kind of ad hoc matchmaking/clan wars.

If the game was even a serviceable FPS... it would have blown up.

I was JUST thinking about CH yesterday and very nearly started a thread demanding a Chrome Hounds 2. Such an awesome game and it did the online battles perfectly. Every game needs to copy it's use of online lobbies and ability to create your clan was amazing.

I'll definitely grab the game again. I'm sure it's quite cheap now. Only problem I'll have is that I have to rebuilt my supply of goodies. Since I last played the game, I've switched to an Elite and no longer have my game saves. That means a long, slow, painful play through of the single player game again. :lol

Ashodin

I'm willing to play again, maybe we can set up a certain nights to log on and play together in a squad? Perhaps maybe a thursday or a friday night? Or something on the weekend? I loved that game so much, GAF SQUAD 13 HOOOOOOOOOO :lol

Running with a tightknit group you played with every night was so AWESOME.

Chromehounds is on the verge of being a serious breakout game. If they can get the sequel going with Halo 3 style films and great web support for rankings it'll become huge in the competitve arena.

One of the best 360 titles out there and under appreciated by people who bitch about the terrain graphics...even though at any time all the mechs can converge at a single spot and launch insane amounts of missiles.

Victrix

*beard*
This is one 360 game I'm sad I missed due to waiting to get a 360

I may try to borrow this from a friend or pick it up cheap, just to check it out.

I <3 From Software, they make the coolest flawed games.

Are they working on anything? I haven't heard a peep about a new crazy game, or a new King's Field :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Victrix said:
I <3 From Software, they make the coolest flawed games.

Are they working on anything? I haven't heard a peep about a new crazy game, or a new King's Field :(

they just released an ac4 expansion in japan. it looks pretty cool...though chromehounds is far more deserving of an expansion.

i'd be up for a neogaf brigade reunion. i'll probably log on this evening and experiment some

Foxix Von

There's been a copy of this sitting on gamestop's shelf for a while and it's tempting... I've been dying for a good mech game, and nothing this gen has really scratched that itch. I tried the demo for AC4 and it just wasn't my thing.

I've got such fond memories of mechassault 2 online and just wish something would come and do that. How's the pacing on this game compared to, say, the AC series or mechassault anyway? I'm not too privy on the details of this game but anything thats got mechs + deep customization is hard for me too not want.

Chichikov

Foxix said:
I've got such fond memories of mechassault 2 online and just wish something would come and do that. How's the pacing on this game compared to, say, the AC series or mechassault anyway? I'm not too privy on the details of this game but anything thats got mechs + deep customization is hard for me too not want.
The pace is much more deliberate than Mechassault or Armored Core.
And as far as meaningful customization goes, it's pretty much as good as it gets.
And as for meaningless customization, well, it was no slouch in that department:
xc68w0.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One of the best online games ever made, on any platform. Absolutely amazing.

Lots of really annoying flaws though. 20 people per squad sucked. Way too much downtime between matches.

And, when I was playing, games would drop players randomly, especially if the match was 3v3 or higher... I'm sure this has been patched now.

I'd almost be willing to jump back in as well. So much fun.

Foxix Von

Chichikov said:
The pace is much more deliberate than Mechassault or Armored Core.
And as far as meaningful customization goes, it's pretty much as good as it gets.
And as for meaningless customization, well, it was no slouch in that department:
xc68w0.jpg

Holy crap, I think I might just make the jump. The game would only cost like 13 bucks so I can't really say no at this point.

*will be walking away from work with copies of excite truck and chromehounds*

Today is gonna be awesome.

HugBasket

Banned
Ah, so many good memories with this game.

I remember that for some reason I couldn't be in a game for longer than three minutes so my clan mates and I came up with all these builds and strategies for rushing all the bases in the first minute of the game to win. Dear god did getting dropped suck but getting that strategy going, especially in the get up of plaid, was awesome.

Btw, our clan name was Barry Manilow.

Vagrant

Love this game. Seeing that people keep thinking about it and coming back for more is a reminder that no other game has come close to filling its shoes. Sequel or clone needed.

Re-acquired this game over the weekend. $15 at GameStop. I've been playing through the single player game to get all my equipment back. I've played through Soldier and Sniper and have "S" ratings in each of the levels, so I'm getting back up to speed quickly.

radjago

I put about 20 hours in, but I never found a Hound that felt comfortable and could put up a fight, so I ended up being more of a scout/recon/decoy for my team. Only one guy on my friends list still plays, and that's all he plays online.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Why there isn't a sequel to this game is beyond me. I still think this game was the best experience I have had on Xbox Live. With the right care and attention, the developers could reach out to the fans and really make something special. I would give up COD4 to play this with all the people that I played with when it came out.

I really, really enjoyed this game when I rented it. Many would disagree with me but I thought the single-player was stellar although I never got to try the multiplayer.:(

Here's hoping there's a PS360 sequal.

Top Bottom