• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chronic Hate Cycle (<Insert latest release here>)

Roni

Gold Member
"X is trash..."
"X is a bomba"
"X was a disappointment."
"This game is nothing like advertised!"
"X is a stinking pile of shit."
"I'm a longtime fan of this series and as a most original fan of X I can say I was thoroughly offended by this utter piece of garbage."

We've all read, and sometimes written, takes like these. Every year the major releases always get the most attention, but lately that attention has been synonym with a monsoon of hate. People don't like things, sure, but every single living being seeks to distance itself from unpleasant stimuli. Why don't humans, of all fucking creatures, display that behavior?

Now, before you scroll down to write down what you're feeling like writing right now, take a moment to breathe and keep on reading. I know discussion is more interesting with disagreement and this is an internet forum. So the goal is discussion, yeah. But discussion can have a very broad meaning: you can spend an entire afternoon suffering through a conversation about your cancer and how you're going to die soon while someone else spends that same afternoon feverishly arguing about the ideas behind their favorite movie. Those two situations can both be called discussions, though one is clearly more pleasant than the other.

But let's give it an honest shot, shall we? Let's not talk about the hate itself for now and rather focus on what is the perceived warranted reason for the hate: games are, allegedly, not meeting expectations.

In terms of Game Design, Art Direction or something else based on taste, well, sorry, can't help you with an answer here. You don't like a painting, don't look at it. Just don't automatically think about fucking burning it...

In terms of technical shortcomings, there's usually a very simple reason: the underlying problem is that IT is often not in charge of the project. This is insane from the perspective of anyone working on a project who is actually interested in being there and doing the best work possible. This means the people actually making any thing don't usually actually estimate how long it will take to get said thing ready. It's someone else doing the estimation.

Someone's responsible right? Yeah, you're right. And it's usually Sales & Marketing.

Let's take Cyberpunk 2077, it's a fresh enough iteration of the phenomenon I'm talking about. Let's take the driving, for example. Playing the game after release leaves it pretty clear the final product was never meant to be used for procedural chases in this game: the streets are too narrow and turns are too sharp. Not to mention the fact cars can't even change lanes... The technology isn't there, it wasn't built. Yet Marketing thought it was a good idea to advertise that as ambiguosly as possible to you. After all, driving IS in the game, amirite? And now the IT people are being ridiculed because they couldn't make it work.

When things like the Mantis Blades climbing is showed to us only to be removed later, you can bet that video was recorded and handed over begrudgingly by any person that actually cares within that team. It might be packaged well and have nice graphics next to it because Marketing them handed over that video to some professional video editor and promised everyone that would be in the game, even though the level designers and programmers weren't even sure it could be used for the game in the state it was.

What we should want is more transparent communication with the people actually making what we are playing, without so much smoke and mirrors. Then we would get a more grounded and realistic takes on what is trying to be done and what we actually get. Now, sure, one can turn around and say: well, they should've been advised/directed/ordered differently.

I don't agree...

You see, sure, they could've used the money spent to manifest Cyberpunk 1.31 (soon to be 1.5) into reality differently. But the game was made by CDPR, an institution celebrated by how they pushed boundaries with each new installment in the Witcher franchise. What did you want, them to design and build this game conservatively? They're hailed for pushing boundaries and are now grilled for it?

The game wouldn't be a CDPR game if it wasn't made with the same values the institution was recognized for before. Not to mention it wouldn't have been enjoyed by those who loved it just the way it is. CDPR wanted to use the Cyberpunk IP to produce a cinematic RPG that pushed boundaries.

Whatever way you want to cut into the game, it features a variety of weapons and levels that enable one to roleplay not only a plethora of different combat styles, but you can also use the dialog to craft very nuanced personalities for V depending on how you act towards different characters in the game when in different situations. Not to mention it has enough breadth that you can play it at least 4 times over (and I know there's stuff I haven't done so there's some more) with completely different endings, journeys and personalities for your different characters.

Yeah the game's missing shit Marketing told you about: well, boo fucking hoo, that only tells me you haven't been long in this Earth or you haven't been paying attention. Marketing has always been allowed to lie to you. It's your job to see through the lies and understand what it is you're being hyped into buying. Because money ain't gonna move itself into different hands if the government uses its guns to keep corporations honest about the snake oil they want you to spend your hard earned cash on.

At least that's what most powerful people think... And no, any similarities with Cyberpunk's universe is NOT a coincidence, but part of Pondsmith's message.

Speaking of the creator of the source material, the game's based on a tabletop roleplaying game. Have you watched how those are played?

Tabletop RPG's are all about imagination and creativity, though you'd be excused for feeling you don't have any: it's exorcised out of most kids in school. Have you noticed how public education systems never focus on teaching people how to grow their own food, build their own shelter or survive independently as well? You're not being educated to be free, you're being educated to be a consumer-worker, someone fully dependent on the corporations and the system of specialization.

Their biggest fear? You somehow get access to education that teaches you how to think, feel and act for yourself and, consequently, realize this set of rules we're living under is just one possibility out of many others. But their solution is rather smart... A system this size takes a lot of time and effort to keep in place, and they know we can't figure this shit out while we're busy competing with each other out of hate rather than cooperating out of love.

Now, to come full circle and actually tie all of this shit not only with the original title of the thread but also with the forum we're in: if we're living in a non-sustainable way, then of course the check will come eventually. When it does, what do you think that will look like?

Resident Evil? The Last of Us? Maybe Horizon: Zero Dawn? Fallout, perhaps? I'm afraid nothing quite that spectacular... The crash, the apocalypse or the end of times people fear will most likely be famine, disease and anarchy brought about by us reaching a tipping point: there's now so little resources left, we can't share it with everyone. A lot of people will die fighting over whatever resources are left, though some will be able to afford bunkers with self-sufficient electricity and water in the middle of fucking nowhere. Will you?

Well, if you won't, don't despair yet! Maybe you can make some money by selling something to someone at a profit? Though, with such a saturated marketplace where people can connect individually, you need a way to cut through the chaff and stand out. Given the market's purchasing power is finite, meaning most people actually run out of money, and there's too much stuff to buy then you need to affect people's opinions so they favor your product over someone else's and also spread the message that the other product is trash. Which automatically means yours is better.

Here's an idea: whenever someone dislikes something from the competition, let's amplify it! Give it a platform, make it a trend or find another bullshit way of pushing it onto the culture. That's how we arrive in a situation like the one we have here: it's completely normal to dislike something, what is not normal is having an entity that may be a Turing test passing machine or a human being amplifying that feeling for you whenever you actually feel it. But given your hate for said thing is profitable to someone, it is of someone's interest that you stick to it as much as possible. After all, it's their livelihood on the line...

Now, if you've made it this far, then you probably think I hate capitalism and social media, which I don't. Markets have a place in figuring out efficiency, but they don't have a place dictating how we should live our lives and that question is too important for someone else to answer it for us or affect our judgment on it through indoctrination. As for social media, well, it can spread news fast and is definitely one of the tools at our disposal to communicate and figure out our future...

Here's the conclusion to this whole mess: as a species, we have the means to design our futures today. And I, being someone openly prolix, lack the words to even begin to express how rare and precious that is. We can either seize this moment or maintain the status quo. It's a choice. But I think that if one makes that choice, then it must be accompanied by the choice to not waste one's time with useless interactions: overly negative discourse and people being negative for the sake of negativity.

We've been trying that and there doesn't seem to be that much in it for us.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
before you scroll down to write down what you're feeling like writing right now, take a moment to breathe
Animated GIF

This reads like a high schooler trying to meet the word count for a paper. All I got out of this is that you think negative discourse over entertainment products is counterproductive as a species? Your post is all over the place, OP. I think people on an enthusiast forum for video games will have very strong opinions about video game topics. It is what makes browsing this site entertaining.

I do appreciate the people who start opinion threads with hyperbole. It makes finding the entertainment much easier for me.

You should add a tl;dr that says, "CD Projekt RED is my favorite dev and I hate people hating on them!" See, that would get people smashing their keyboards replying to your post!

Last edited:

Raven117

I don’t nearly care enough about your opinion to read something this long.

I like to play video games. Usually I’m pretty good at knowing when something is my cup of tea. The rest is not my problem.

Saber

Gold Member
Take a moment of your time to appreciate the quality level of this post.

Yeah the game's missing shit Marketing told you about: well, boo fucking hoo, that only tells me you haven't been long in this Earth or you haven't been paying attention. Marketing has always been allowed to lie to you. It's your job to see through the lies and understand what it is you're being hyped into buying.

Consumers bad.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Can the hivemind please tell me how I'm supposed to feel about that MASSIVE wall of FUCK OFF text?

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Here's the conclusion to this whole mess: as a species, we have the means to design our futures today. And I, being someone openly prolix, lack the words to even begin to express how rare and precious that is. We can either seize this moment or maintain the status quo. It's a choice. But I think that if one makes that choice, then it must be accompanied by the choice to not waste one's time with useless interactions: overly negative discourse and people being negative for the sake of negativity.

money-ball-what-the-fuck-are-you-talking-about-man.gif

Man you are way too intellectual for us videogame forum plebians.

Here we are playing videogames and posting opinions, when there's enlightened people like OP who have ascended to the planes of 4D chess trying to drag the entire human species from the dark ages of opinions into the light.

God bless and god speed, you galaxy brain IQ person, you.

Roni

Gold Member
money-ball-what-the-fuck-are-you-talking-about-man.gif

Man you are way too intellectual for us videogame forum plebians.

Here we are playing videogames and posting opinions, when there's enlightened people like OP who have ascended to the planes of 4D chess trying to drag the entire human species from the dark ages of opinions into the light.

God bless and god speed, you galaxy brain IQ person, you.
I wanna talk about games too man, like how TLOU explores human nature, or how Cyberpunk depicts this crazy dystopia I'm afraid we're headed towards or even how meta MGSV's narrative is. It's just not everyone wants to talk about the same stuff, opened the thread to meet like minded peeps!

Enjay

Banned
"X is trash..."
"X is a bomba"
"X was a disappointment."
"This game is nothing like advertised!"
"X is a stinking pile of shit."
"I'm a longtime fan of this series and as a most original fan of X I can say I was thoroughly offended by this utter piece of garbage."

We've all read, and sometimes written, takes like these. Every year the major releases always get the most attention, but lately that attention has been synonym with a monsoon of hate. People don't like things, sure, but every single living being seeks to distance itself from unpleasant stimuli. Why don't humans, of all fucking creatures, display that behavior?

Now, before you scroll down to write down what you're feeling like writing right now, take a moment to breathe and keep on reading. I know discussion is more interesting with disagreement and this is an internet forum. So the goal is discussion, yeah. But discussion can have a very broad meaning: you can spend an entire afternoon suffering through a conversation about your cancer and how you're going to die soon while someone else spends that same afternoon feverishly arguing about the ideas behind their favorite movie. Those two situations can both be called discussions, though one is clearly more pleasant than the other.

But let's give it an honest shot, shall we? Let's not talk about the hate itself for now and rather focus on what is the perceived warranted reason for the hate: games are, allegedly, not meeting expectations.

In terms of Game Design, Art Direction or something else based on taste, well, sorry, can't help you with an answer here. You don't like a painting, don't look at it. Just don't automatically think about fucking burning it...

In terms of technical shortcomings, there's usually a very simple reason: the underlying problem is that IT is often not in charge of the project. This is insane from the perspective of anyone working on a project who is actually interested in being there and doing the best work possible. This means the people actually making any thing don't usually actually estimate how long it will take to get said thing ready. It's someone else doing the estimation.

Someone's responsible right? Yeah, you're right. And it's usually Sales & Marketing.

Let's take Cyberpunk 2077, it's a fresh enough iteration of the phenomenon I'm talking about. Let's take the driving, for example. Playing the game after release leaves it pretty clear the final product was never meant to be used for procedural chases in this game: the streets are too narrow and turns are too sharp. Not to mention the fact cars can't even change lanes... The technology isn't there, it wasn't built. Yet Marketing thought it was a good idea to advertise that as ambiguosly as possible to you. After all, driving IS in the game, amirite? And now the IT people are being ridiculed because they couldn't make it work.

When things like the Mantis Blades climbing is showed to us only to be removed later, you can bet that video was recorded and handed over begrudgingly by any person that actually cares within that team. It might be packaged well and have nice graphics next to it because Marketing them handed over that video to some professional video editor and promised everyone that would be in the game, even though the level designers and programmers weren't even sure it could be used for the game in the state it was.

What we should want is more transparent communication with the people actually making what we are playing, without so much smoke and mirrors. Then we would get a more grounded and realistic takes on what is trying to be done and what we actually get. Now, sure, one can turn around and say: well, they should've been advised/directed/ordered differently.

I don't agree...

You see, sure, they could've used the money spent to manifest Cyberpunk 1.31 (soon to be 1.5) into reality differently. But the game was made by CDPR, an institution celebrated by how they pushed boundaries with each new installment in the Witcher franchise. What did you want, them to design and build this game conservatively? They're hailed for pushing boundaries and are now grilled for it?

The game wouldn't be a CDPR game if it wasn't made with the same values the institution was recognized for before. Not to mention it wouldn't have been enjoyed by those who loved it just the way it is. CDPR wanted to use the Cyberpunk IP to produce a cinematic RPG that pushed boundaries.

Whatever way you want to cut into the game, it features a variety of weapons and levels that enable one to roleplay not only a plethora of different combat styles, but you can also use the dialog to craft very nuanced personalities for V depending on how you act towards different characters in the game when in different situations. Not to mention it has enough breadth that you can play it at least 4 times over (and I know there's stuff I haven't done so there's some more) with completely different endings, journeys and personalities for your different characters.

Yeah the game's missing shit Marketing told you about: well, boo fucking hoo, that only tells me you haven't been long in this Earth or you haven't been paying attention. Marketing has always been allowed to lie to you. It's your job to see through the lies and understand what it is you're being hyped into buying. Because money ain't gonna move itself into different hands if the government uses its guns to keep corporations honest about the snake oil they want you to spend your hard earned cash on.

At least that's what most powerful people think... And no, any similarities with Cyberpunk's universe is NOT a coincidence, but part of Pondsmith's message.

Speaking of the creator of the source material, the game's based on a tabletop roleplaying game. Have you watched how those are played?

Tabletop RPG's are all about imagination and creativity, though you'd be excused for feeling you don't have any: it's exorcised out of most kids in school. Have you noticed how public education systems never focus on teaching people how to grow their own food, build their own shelter or survive independently as well? You're not being educated to be free, you're being educated to be a consumer-worker, someone fully dependent on the corporations and the system of specialization.

Their biggest fear? You somehow get access to education that teaches you how to think, feel and act for yourself and, consequently, realize this set of rules we're living under is just one possibility out of many others. But their solution is rather smart... A system this size takes a lot of time and effort to keep in place, and they know we can't figure this shit out while we're busy competing with each other out of hate rather than cooperating out of love.

Now, to come full circle and actually tie all of this shit not only with the original title of the thread but also with the forum we're in: if we're living in a non-sustainable way, then of course the check will come eventually. When it does, what do you think that will look like?

Resident Evil? The Last of Us? Maybe Horizon: Zero Dawn? Fallout, perhaps? I'm afraid nothing quite that spectacular... The crash, the apocalypse or the end of times people fear will most likely be famine, disease and anarchy brought about by us reaching a tipping point: there's now so little resources left, we can't share it with everyone. A lot of people will die fighting over whatever resources are left, though some will be able to afford bunkers with self-sufficient electricity and water in the middle of fucking nowhere. Will you?

Well, if you won't, don't despair yet! Maybe you can make some money by selling something to someone at a profit? Though, with such a saturated marketplace where people can connect individually, you need a way to cut through the chaff and stand out. Given the market's purchasing power is finite, meaning most people actually run out of money, and there's too much stuff to buy then you need to affect people's opinions so they favor your product over someone else's and also spread the message that the other product is trash. Which automatically means yours is better.

Here's an idea: whenever someone dislikes something from the competition, let's amplify it! Give it a platform, make it a trend or find another bullshit way of pushing it onto the culture. That's how we arrive in a situation like the one we have here: it's completely normal to dislike something, what is not normal is having an entity that may be a Turing test passing machine or a human being amplifying that feeling for you whenever you actually feel it. But given your hate for said thing is profitable to someone, it is of someone's interest that you stick to it as much as possible. After all, it's their livelihood on the line...

Now, if you've made it this far, then you probably think I hate capitalism and social media, which I don't. Markets have a place in figuring out efficiency, but they don't have a place dictating how we should live our lives and that question is too important for someone else to answer it for us or affect our judgment on it through indoctrination. As for social media, well, it can spread news fast and is definitely one of the tools at our disposal to communicate and figure out our future...

Halo just doesn't have the same cache it used to. It isn't the end of the world.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
There is one thing that I think stands clear in any art form: you can tell when effort has been put into something. The only time I detest a game or game company is when you can feel the lack of soul, effort, and desire to make games. You can tell when devs put hard thought into the inner workings of a game versus when a bunch of people were doing mininal effort to survive in a company that also doesn't care, physically or financially.

But I love games and find what I need because there are now so many options. And for me it's not so much about shitting on games I hate as much as it is my desire to shake people into expanding their gaming scope and awareness of other/new things.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
There is one thing that I think stands clear in any art form: you can tell when effort has been put into something. The only time I detest a game or game company is when you can feel the lack of soul, effort, and desire to make games. You can tell when devs put hard thought into the inner workings of a game versus when a bunch of people were doing mininal effort to survive in a company that also doesn't care, physically or financially.
One can clearly notice when it works, but more often than not the people working on something are pouring their hearts into it regardless. No one makes something hoping it fails, but one can simply work unmotivated or under a crappy boss.

BlackM1st

Banned
It's just not everyone wants to talk about the same stuff, opened the thread to meet like minded peeps!
Um... you'll be only ridiculed and for a good reason too.

I wanna talk about games too man, like how TLOU explores human nature, or how Cyberpunk depicts this crazy dystopia I'm afraid we're headed towards or even how meta MGSV's narrative is.
I have a crazy idea 💡 bro. How about... how about you'll create threads about exactly that and discuss what you really want to discuss with "like minded peeps"? I know it may sounds crazy, but you never know until you try!

Roni

Gold Member
Um... you'll be only ridiculed and for a good reason too.

I have a crazy idea 💡 bro. How about... how about you'll create threads about exactly that and discuss what you really want to discuss with "like minded peeps"? I know it may sounds crazy, but you never know until you try!
I gave up worrying about ridicule at 25. Life is just better this way.

And the thread is actually about one of those topics, but I guess you either didn't read it or understand it if you can't tell.

BlackM1st

Banned
I gave up worrying about ridicule at 25. Life is just better this way.

And the thread is actually about one of those topics, but I guess you either didn't read it or understand it if you can't tell.
Try to start with a proper thread name and put the game's name you want to discuss in it and get to the point a little earlier than 1000 words. I'm sure it'll help with having a proper discussion.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This reads like it's from somebody who really likes BF 2042 but has avoided mentioning BF 2042 because that would give the game away.

Look dude some people have standards, these differ from person to person. Sometimes a person can be described as having "no standards" this technically is not true but essentially means that the person has so little of a standard it might as well not be there.

I don't get why people with no standards feel the need to make posts specifically to display the fact they have none.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Try to start with a proper thread name and put the game's name you want to discuss in it and get to the point a little earlier than 1000 words. I'm sure it'll help with having a proper discussion.
I think you're missing the larger point I'm making here. I'm not here to be liked by everybody. I'm here to find and talk to people who happen to understand what I have to say.

Roni

Gold Member
I don't get why people with no standards feel the need to make posts specifically to display the fact they have none.
It has to do with the fact that it gets tiring to read the same fucking vitriol over and over and over and over and over... Not to mention difficult to talk about anything else when every news thread devolves into hot take city.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It has to do with the fact that it gets tiring to read the same fucking vitriol over and over and over and over and over... Not to mention difficult to talk about anything else when every news thread devolves into hot take city.

I mean you have been around video games in the last decade right?

For example, right now we have games like Halo : Infinite being lorded as a return to form despite being lacking in pretty much every area outside of the open world, weapon sandbox and mobility. Prior Halo titles (not 343 ones) got those right + story and lore + also included a full multiplayer for the same price.

The only reason the above example is seen as good is because games have essentially been so shit for so long, that whatever 343 farted out in a year since the delay is seen as "better than average". That's because standards have dropped, there will be legitimately people who play games now that have never seen a game release working and feature complete without huge day 1 patches followed by months of fixes before it's even playable in a traditional sense.

That's the issue, the disconnect between people who gamed heavily before, and potentially people who have only done so in that 10 years where having broken shit is "expected".

The punchline is the Internet changed the game, you used to just moan about shit at the pub, but now it's on the internet with literally a circle of thousands throwing there weight in. I would say a little positivity would be fine, but people have been burned again and again and again and again and again and again, over and over by the same shit.

Fact of the matter is your also on a global forum, Americans don't understand British cynicism and we don't understand there infinite positivity towards having shit working rights and yout healthcare tied to a job. Your essentially asking entire parts of the globe to "lighten up" despite culturally and historically having a very good reason not to view things at face value. It's those sort of cultural division's that effect how people produce and consume media, it will naturally effect how they form opinions on it.

I dunno why not start your own forum where all negativity is banned? I see generally good games that fill all the base needs (its good, it has content, it works) praised while something that fails on one or all those things is just shit on.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who cares if it's because marketing liars or incopetent devs? They are all under the same umbrella, and they deserve to be criticized for their lies and incompetence.

I don't get the point you are trying to make OP... This is a gaming forum full of enthusiast that of course are going to criticize any fault they found in their games.

If you want some kind of safe space to discuss games without the negative parts, then go to reddit.

Roni

Gold Member
The only reason the above example is seen as good is because games have essentially been so shit for so long, that whatever 343 farted out in a year since the delay is seen as "better than average". That's because standards have dropped, there will be legitimately people who play games now that have never seen a game release working and feature complete without huge day 1 patches followed by months of fixes before it's even playable in a traditional sense.

That's the issue, the disconnect between people who gamed heavily before, and potentially people who have only done so in that 10 years where having broken shit is "expected".

The punchline is the Internet changed the game, you used to just moan about shit at the pub, but now it's on the internet with literally a circle of thousands throwing there weight in. I would say a little positivity would be fine, but people have been burned again and again and again and again and again and again, over and over by the same shit.

Fact of the matter is your also on a global forum, Americans don't understand British cynicism and we don't understand there infinite positivity towards having shit working rights and healthcare tied to a job. Your essentially asking entire parts of the globe to "lighten up" despite culturally and historically having a very good reason not to...

I dunno why not start your own forum where all negativity is banned? I see generally good games that fill all the base needs (its good, it has content, it works) praised while something that fails on one or all those things is just shit on.
This is good stuff... The drop in quality is due to a few factors that need to be addressed.

For the past 20 years the process of making a game has evolved dramatically. But that's just 20 years. An entire workforce isn't even retired in that time but those people have to work new pipelines and tools again and again. Add to that the fact that every 5-6 years the leap in graphics has to be there so the consumer base doesn't feel like things are stagnating and there's barely any investment in deep, innovative game design.

Add to that old timers retiring in an industry that moves at break neck speed and QA can't even keep up. This is bound to happen, the talk of reaching a critical point in tech where it's impossible to test things and know if the system truly works has been brought up already.

We're simply feeling the first signs of that...

As Gaming grows into a billion dollar industry it will need to shed weight and that weight is stuff like genres we love, standards once held, etc, etc...

As for the global aspect of this discussion, it's sort of the point: we're all here, communicating in English, capable of sharing ideas and understanding because of this fact. We're capable of becoming one people, we just need to give up the historical good reasons for hating each other. And dialog and discussion is the only way. That's why I'm posting this here.

Last edited:

avin

There's always vitriol. You can try and find a board where it doesn't exist, because mods tirelessly hunt all of it down, but those usually don't last for some reason. Probably because they're too boring to read, even for the boring people that believe that's what they want.

But, even on fairly open boards like this one, I've found that what you're trying to do can be done. You just need the discipline to address yourself to the best of the replies in your threads, and none of the others. If you can do that, then you sometimes still get good conversations.

avin

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As for the global aspect of this discussion, it's sort of the point: we're all here, communicating in English, capable of sharing ideas and understanding because of this fact. We're capable of becoming one people, we just need to give up the historical good reasons for hating each other. And dialog and discussion is the only way. That's why I'm posting this here.

Its not even this big an a thing, but more that as global forum you will have a good chunk of people who will be brought up in a society with higher expectations than anouther. I don't think that's actually a bad thing, but it needs to be recognised that it's becoming harder and harder to give large companies the benefit of the doubt especially growing up in a place where thinking "whats their angle here?" is common.

I have had to blacklist Actiblizz, Ubisoft, EA and Epic Games, because to me they have constantly breached my standards on how a company should operate. However places like Hello Games and Ghost Ship Studios I will actively talk positively about. Hello Games by doing what was right in the long run with No Man's Sky and turning that around and Ghost Ship for.... well just being who they are and making a solid game that is constitantly added too.

I would argue this constant feeling of negativity right now has honestly been earned by the industry at large, and the fix is not with the gaming community's but with the publishers and the consistant production of high quality products to resolve.

Last edited:

Catphish

I remember those days when I believed writing essays about what was wrong with people and posting them on the internet would change the world.

Those were some dumb fucking days.

Top Bottom