• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE COALITION MOVING TO NEXT-GEN DEVELOPMENT, UNREAL ENGINE 5

geary

https://www.gears5.com/the-future-of-gears-5

At The Coalition, we pride ourselves on delivering the best possible Gears of War games and the best possible game performance using cutting-edge tools like Unreal Engine. We wanted to update our fans on both of those things.

Thank you to all the fans out there who have been on this journey with us. During a worldwide pandemic and working from home, the team launched a first strategy title, Gears Tactics; re-launched Gears 5 and Tactics on Xbox Series X|S hardware with performance upgrades and features; revamped Gears 5 multiplayer with a ton of content and updates; and capped the year with the first mainline campaign expansion – Gears 5: Hivebusters – in almost a decade.

As we look to future games, we’re excited to start shifting our resources to next-gen development using Unreal Engine 5. Gears of War has always been at the front of Unreal Engine development – as a breakout 720p title for Xbox 360 through last year’s 120FPS multiplayer update for Xbox Series X|S – and we’re excited to continue that tradition by developing on UE5 for multiple new projects in the coming years.

What does this mean for our current titles?

Gears 5 has content on the way, and we’ll continue to release new operations through Operations 7 and 8. Each Operation will have two drops including new characters, new maps, and special events. Through the end of the year, we will have store updates with exciting new content as well as featured playlists.

Shifting to a new engine is a big undertaking, so we want to be clear that we will not be announcing any new projects or titles for some time.

Last, our amazing team needs more exceptional professionals to help us continue to push the envelope, so, we’re hiring!

Thanks again to all of our fans. We’re eager to get to work and show you what we’re working on when the time is right.

The Coalition

Last edited:
*Screeches from mother's basement while feverishly itching neckbeard*

"But....But unreal engine 5 is exclusive!"

cHu6IeL.jpg
oAWG5Rf.gif

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm so the engine is out or something? Even tho, these are people from Epic, I know they dub their Gears modified Unreal 4 engine as "Fenix engine".

Banjo64

cumsessed
Shifting to a new engine is a big undertaking, so we want to be clear that we will not be announcing any new projects or titles for some time.

No surprise there as Hivebusters has only just released but does that make Gears 6 a 2024 or beyond title?

Would be a 5 year gap from 5, compared to the 3 years between Gears 4&5.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Didn't Tim Sweeney say that the unreal engine 5 demo would be released to the public, or its NDA would be up early 2021 so we could run it on PC?

I guess that got held up due to Covid?

Dibils2k

they only now doing this? next gen gears is yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaars away isnt it :(

maybe we'll get a remaster of one of them on unreal 5 as a stop gap, they seem to like doing that to learn the engine and stuff

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Why is this news?
Was anyone expecting the dev team to stay with Unreal Engine 4 indefinitely?

Didn't Epic say all UE4 projects could be easily passed on to UE5?

I don't understand why Sony would show off unreal 5 with the ps5 if virtually none of their big studios use the engine, unlike Microsoft.

Bend is a big studio now, and they still own exclusivity rights for Final Fantasy VII which is Unreal Engine as well.
Furthermore, with Sony investing some millions in Epic for collaboration we could see yet more 1st party studios /games using the engine. E.g. it could be the engine of choice for 1st-party games made by 3rd-party devs.

Last edited:
Hmm so the engine is out or something? Even tho, these are people from Epic, I know they dub their Gears modified Unreal 4 engine as "Fenix engine".

Developers, especially AAA studios, who are constantly using their engine, have access to pre-release (think "Alpha") SDK's a year prior all the way to commercial release, because they serve as free PR of the highest quality.

This is standard practice in the industry for all 3rd party game engines.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
*Screeches from mother's basement while feverishly itching neckbeard*

"But....But unreal engine 5 is exclusive!"

cHu6IeL.jpg
oAWG5Rf.gif
I would think the ppl that actually said this were Twitter residents.

Epic stated the day it was shown it was scalable all the way to smartphones.

This has to be an imaginary narrative.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Developers, especially AAA studios, who are constantly using their engine, have access to pre-release (think "Alpha") SDK's a year prior all the way to commercial release, because they serve as free PR of the highest quality.

This is standard practice in the industry for all 3rd party game engines.
Sure I know that, but I probably should have worded it better, so this means that UE 5 is ready for production then... And that was the surprising thing to me.

elliot5

I think they're saying nothing new coming from them any time soon to get ahead of E3 expectations from them specifically. I would guess an announcement late 2022 or 2023 for something, kinda like what MS did at The Game Awards last year.

Looking forward to it because they are masters of that engine. I'm sure they've been working very closely with Epic and are trying out new things using nanite and lumen.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Fortnite and FF7 Remake part 2 are the only 2 so far I believe
We have absolutely no info of whether FF7R2 will use UE4 or UE5. Knowing how they were still learning UE4 when developing FF7R, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept working on it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Too late. No idea wtf these studios are doing. Their shipped Gears 5 in 2019. THAT is when they shouldve moved to next gen development. WTF have they been doing for the last 1.5 years?

The mismanagement of these first party studios is baffling tbh. Naughty Dog is working on a PS4 TLOU1 remake because they apparently didnt have anything to do. Sony Bend had nothing to do after shipping Days Gone in 2019 so ended up helping ND with TLOU2. Why? These first party studios shouldve had devkits back in 2019. Hell Cerny specifically said that they did the wired article in April 2019 because devkits were going out soon.

I cannot believe that MS's best first party studio is only now transitioning to next gen development. Games take 3-4 years to make nowadays. Are we seriously not going to get a new title from Coalition Games until 2024-2025?

Last edited:
Too late. No idea wtf these studios are doing. Their shipped Gears 5 in 2019. THAT is when they shouldve moved to next gen development. WTF have they been doing for the last 1.5 years?

The mismanagement of these first party studios is baffling tbh. Naughty Dog is working on a PS4 TLOU1 remake because they apparently didnt have anything to do. Sony Bend had nothing to do after shipping Days Gone in 2019 so ended up helping ND with TLOU2. Why? These first party studios shouldve had devkits back in 2019. Hell Cerny specifically said that they did the wired article in April 2019 because devkits were going out soon.

I cannot believe that MS's best first party studio is only now transitioning to first party development. Games take 3-4 years to make nowadays. Are we seriously not going to get a new title from Coalition Games until 2024-2025?
I might be wrong, but aren't they allegedly giving a hand to 343i for Halo Infinite?

Derift

so another excuse for a long game cycle with no games... this is probably microsofts best studio and they are now pretty much out for the next 2-3 years under the guise of "shifting resourses" and fans will eat this up... so i take it we wont be getting another gears game for a while

MOTM

Banned
Does this mean we’ll be seeing Hellblade 2 at E3? I think it was one of the first games confirmed to be using UE5.

Top Bottom