• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coalition UE5 demo at GDC

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF
Excited Dog GIF
Excited Dog GIF by memecandy
jumping let's play GIF by Nest

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can't wait, if anything Coalition is excellent in technical side of things.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If someone can show what UE it truly capable of, it's the Coalition. And by truly I don't mean tech-demos that never materialize in the actual games, but actual real-time application. Looking forward for the panel.

100% THIS!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If someone can show what UE it truly capable of, it's the Coalition. And by truly I don't mean tech-demos that never materialize in the actual games, but actual real-time application. Looking forward for the panel.
I believe this is likely to be a tech demo, but maybe using Gears assets. Let's wait and see.

reksveks

I just am just going to watch to see the scaling between Series S and X as its one of the things that they highlighted.

After two showings of Nanite, not sure what's going to be impressive.

The other thing that could be interesting is MetaHuman, we got that one big demo and know that you could probably play around with it now but interested to see what a more experienced Game Dev does with it. It would be great to get more varied NPC's in games.

Thirty7ven

Banned
There's definitively something special about this combo. You just sound salty it's a UE5 demo targeting xbox tbh

There’s nothing special about it. Gears of War 4 was not a visual benchmark by any stretch of the imagination, while Gears of War 5 did look better. Was it more impressive at that point in time than say… Arkham? It wasn’t.

Where’s the special? It’s just fanboys trying to take ownership.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

There’s nothing special about it. Gears of War 4 was not a visual benchmark by any stretch of the imagination, while Gears of War 5 did look better. Was it more impressive at that point in time than say… Arkham? It wasn’t.

Where’s the special? It’s just fanboys trying to take ownership.
Ownership of what exactly? UE5 demos? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Coalition, Bend and Netherealm are UE masters. You can bet your ass it's gonna be special.

Godot25

Banned
A tech demo one year in is hard to get excited about. They could just show their next game, that would be awesome.
I mean. It's GDC. What are you expecting from GDC talk? Game that will release in 2 days?

They will have their talk and focus is to share their experience with Unreal Engine 5. It's not consumer focused talk.

You are like those people who hit dislike on The Road to PS5 Cerny's talk because it was....tech talk aimed for GDC...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ownership of what exactly? UE5 demos? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Coalition, Bend and Netherealm are UE masters. You can bet your ass it's gonna be special.

I don’t understand what makes those devs masters of Unreal. Wouldn’t the real master of Unreal be Epic? There’s a reason why their tech demos take a long time to be matched by games, because they manage to cram all the exciting tech they have into a demo meant to highlight said tech.

Ownership of “who is best at Unreal” because yes, that’s a thing too. If you haven’t noticed, then just wait and see.

Three

Have we seen dozens of developers using Lumen?
We've seen lumen though. I mean what are people expecting in terms of tech other than different (possibly gears) assets in the same engine?

Hopefully it's more than that though so can't wait for this.

Fbh

Should be good.
The Coalition is right there next to ID as some of the best when it comes to awesome visuals with really good optimization

onesvenus

Yep. Devs have been experimenting with that experimental build of UE5 from a couple weeks back. You can see tech demos all over YouTube.
Let me rephrase it. Have we seen any AAA studio working with Lumen?

We've seen lumen though. I mean what are people expecting in terms of tech other than different (possibly gears) assets in the same engine?

Hopefully it's more than that though so can't wait for this.
That's like saying that all UE4 games are the same. Can you really say Octopath and Arkham look similar? Games using the same engine can be really different. Not all teams have the same resources or experience working on it. I'm sure you'd be waiting for this reveal if it was ND using UE5

Chukhopops

That'll be cool to see, I suppose, but it's not like they'll reveal some esoteric application of Nanite or Lumen that we haven't already seen from dozens of developers before. Hype should be kept to a minimum.
Do you think you’re some kind of hype police around here?

As far as I can tell it’s the first time an actual UE specialized dev is going to do something like this. And also the first time someone will show how the engine works on SS/SX.

Neo_game

It makes sense to give some presentation about game engine on gdc but honestly tech demo are pretty useless as far as gamers are concerned and will set unrealistic expectation.

amscanner

That'll be cool to see, I suppose, but it's not like they'll reveal some esoteric application of Nanite or Lumen that we haven't already seen from dozens of developers before. Hype should be kept to a minimum.

It's the first time we see UE5 demo from AAA studio aside from Epic itself. And that studio have made one of the best looking UE game before. What we will see in the demo would be pretty close to the game what we will actually play in the future.

But we should keep hype to a minimum? Really?

Top Bottom