• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coalition was untruthful about split screen support for gears 5 on PC

Tygeezy

According to this article by pc gamer that was a report from E3 regarding, the pc version of gears 5 would support split screen co-op on PC. As it turns out the only mode supported for pslit screen on pc is the campaign. WHile htats great, why does the console version get every mode supported while pc people only get the campaign. A lot of people want to get quick co-op action in without doing a campaign that has a lot of breaks of action with cutscenes.

"
At AMD's "Next Horizon Gaming" E3 press conference, we got a few minutes of Gears 5, as The Coalition's Rod Fergusson and Mike Raynor came on stage to talk tech. While most of the time was spent going over information about Gears 5 we already knew, and talking up AMD's hardware, this was a cool tidbit to have confirmed: Gears 5's new Escape mode will support three-player splitscreen on PC.
Given how robust the Gears of War 4 PC version was, and Microsoft's renewed focus on PC gaming, this isn't a huge surprise. But it's still cool, since splitscreen is often a feature in console games that's left out of PC games. Sure, splitscreen on a monitor isn't necessarily a great experience, but these days a whole lot of us have big 1440p or 4K screens on our desks, connect our PCs to our living room TVs, or use in-home streaming to put our games on the big screen."

Here is a time stamp of the event where they said PC supported Escape split screen:

and finally here is the official support page for gears 5 confirming console gets everything in split screen while PC only gets campaign mode.

Which modes can be played in split-screen?

Xbox
Three player split-screen is supported in the following modes:
  • Campaign (2 Characters + Jack)
  • Horde
  • Escape
  • Versus
PC
In Gears 5, only our campaign experience supports local split-screen co-op on PC.

Tygeezy

Who da fuck plays split screen on PC!?
Me:

4434fph.jpg

Tygeezy

Arent you worried about response time? And frame drops? This is completely foreign to me.

Do your friends use a controller or can you hook up multiple keyboards and mice?
My Tv is a freesync tv with 120 hz support at 1440 p. the input lag is comparable to to any 120 hz gaming monitor out there.

Three

I can't imagine a lot of people playing split screen on PC but I can understand your frustration seeing as they said they will have it. Reminds me of the time Toca Race Driver had 4 player splitscreen on PC and then I started complaining about its sequel and nobody cared.

theclaw135

Banned
As a PC gamer, i cant imagine many PC gamers playing split screen in any mode. In fact i'm surprised it was even included in the PC version.

According to troll logic, most games are developed on PC. It makes no sense to remove split screen from the PC version, if it's up and running on PC first...
unless the removal is a $$$ tactic to get people to buy the game twice. (PC for graphics enhancements and modding, console for split screen)

Gamernyc78

Banned
Let’s cool it on the blatant console war instigating.
I do with my son for Rocket League. We have a PC in our living room.

These will be the same ppl tht defend bc to the death of them when someone says "wtf plays old games" lol shit is like clockwork with the same ppl 😂😂😂 Protect Microsofts honor brave knights 😁

I play splits creen on my ps4 with Blackout when my son wants to play 😁

Iced Arcade

Legit never heard of anyone ever playing split screen on pc.

Still sucks for the 3 people who do

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I do with my son for Rocket League. We have a PC in our living room.
I guess man, Maybe it's because I don't have a TV that would work well as a monitor (Samsung KS8000) but I game on pc for the framerate and response time. Playing on a TV just seems...counter-intuitive.

To add to that, I mean look at Tygeezy Tygeezy 's setup. Where do you put the mouse? How is this optimal for gameplay. I'm not saying it's wrong...its just...I just don't get it.

It kinda makes me wanna hook my pc up to my TV to try it out. I just don't see it working well for me.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I guess man, Maybe it's because I don't have a TV that would work well as a monitor (Samsung KS8000) but I game on pc for the framerate and response time. Playing on a TV just seems...counter-intuitive.
Modern TV's can do 120 hz and compete with gaming monitors in input lag. In fact, you cant even get a monitor that can do 1000 + nits HDR + Freesync.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Modern TV's can do 120 hz and compete with gaming monitors in input lag. In fact, you cant even get a monitor that can do 1000 + nits HDR + Freesync.
The HDR I'm definitely with you on.

That's why i didn't download this on PC. I got a 1080p 144hz monitor with no HDR. I guess to each their own, but man...an Xbox is good enough for me on the TV.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

To add to that, I mean look at Tygeezy Tygeezy 's setup. Where do you put the mouse? How is this optimal for gameplay. I'm not saying it's wrong...its just...I just don't get it.

It kinda makes me wanna hook my pc up to my TV to try it out. I just don't see it working well for me.
I use a wooden tv trey that I place next to me that I put a mouse pad over and keep the keyboard in my lap. It's amazingly comfortable . People said mouse and keyboard on the couch couldn't be done.. They were wrong.

vresSLM.jpg

pr0cs

I use a wooden tv trey that I place next to me that I put a mouse pad over and keep the keyboard in my lap.
I use this baby, works awesome. People are very wrong when they say there is no good way to play mouse keyboard games on a comfy couch
71Mz4FHUHhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How many people it affects is irrelevant seeing as how they told us it would. We have multiple people in this thread alone that do split screen pc gaming.
It’s entirely relevant. No sane dev would waste man hours on something that would be used by less than 1% of its userbase

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It’s entirely relevant. No sane dev would waste man hours on something that would be used by less than 1% of its userbase
Well like a previous poster said, if they developed it on PC and the feature was there, then it's actually more work removing it. I guess the OP is questioning why would they remove it for 1 mode. My guess is something didn't work right or maybe they felt 3 players in escape messed with the performance too much. I dunno.

Tygeezy

Well like a previous poster said, if they developed it on PC and the feature was there, then it's actually more work removing it. I guess the OP is questioning why would they remove it for 1 mode. My guess is something didn't work right or maybe they felt 3 players in escape messed with the performance too much. I dunno.
I really have no idea why, but performance should be better on pc assuming your pc is good enough. I run this game at 1440 p with a mix of high and ultra settings and get between 90 and 100 fps in the benchmark.

I wonder if it’s because you need to have Xbox Live accounts for all players and the PC lacks multi-user sign on mechanics for Xbox Live which Campaign does not require?

Knock off the personal attacks.
splitscreen on a pc monitor........?!!?

musst be fucking great.........

FAKT:
99,99% pc gamers are sitting on a desk in front of a 22zoll monitor......
this moron will produce a hate wave about nothing

Shifty

Same old same old then.

PC could even go one better and do one-person-per-monitor on a multi-head system if the developers put in the effort.

According to troll logic, most games are developed on PC
Please tell me you don't think developers plug a keyboard and mouse into a console in order to program their games.

splitscreen on a pc monitor........?!!?

musst be fucking great.........

FAKT:
99,99% pc gamers are sitting on a desk in front of a 22zoll monitor......
this moron will produce a hate wave about nothing
It's almost as if the output device you plug into the back of your computer is completely immaterial to its ability to run stuff in splitscreen :unsure:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I use a wooden tv trey that I place next to me that I put a mouse pad over and keep the keyboard in my lap. It's amazingly comfortable . People said mouse and keyboard on the couch couldn't be done..

No one said it couldn’t be done it just would be infinite more comfortable right now with a X and controller.

lukilladog

Then I will not pay the same price of the xbox one version, but even if it did have these features, no way I´m paying $73 for standard edition. Wtf is ms thinking?, games should be cheaper in poorer countries :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Same old same old then.

PC could even go one better and do one-person-per-monitor on a multi-head system if the developers put in the effort.

Please tell me you don't think developers plug a keyboard and mouse into a console in order to program their games.

It's almost as if the output device you plug into the back of your computer is completely immaterial to its ability to run stuff in splitscreen :unsure:

No. But a PC doesn't care what platform you're writing code for.
You can transfer the game to a console's devkit for testing. PC based development tools don't necessarily mean the game has a build that can actually be played on PC.

Shifty

No. But a PC doesn't care what platform you're writing code for.
You can transfer the game to a console's devkit for testing. PC based development tools don't necessarily mean the game has a build that can actually be played on PC.
While that's entirely true in theory, I'd argue that it doesn't apply so much now we're in the age of general-purpose engines.

Back on the SNES and Mega Drive when games were coded 'to the metal', definitely, but I'd be surprised if you could find an engine for the current-gen platforms that doesn't have a PC implementation for something like multi-platform support or doing rapid prototyping without needing to involve a devkit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom