• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
So GAF, I will attach the explanation below. TL DR, some of you will primarily see blue and black in this photo, and some will see white and gold. I personally see blue and black, while my girlfriend sees white and gold.

There is also a chance that I am full of shit, so see for yourself and compare results.

tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_1280.jpg

Explanation:

Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There’s rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The “cones” see color. The “rods” see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren’t responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white). There’s three cones, small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.
As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it’s called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until it’s black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don’t work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold.

**** UPDATE to prove this theory I turned my phone brightness from the lowest to highest and saw it switching from white and gold (at the lowest) to light blue and darker gold (at the highest) meaning people that see blue and black are more sensitive to light (better eyesight and not looking at the sun like your moms told you)

**Also if you see white and gold sometimes, blue and black another, or a combination of the two, your eyes are very average, and it could change because of YOUR rooms lighting or the tilt of your phone. This is the same manipulation they use for optical illusions

EDIT: GLORIOUS BLUE/BLACK MOD POWER ABUSE DEMONSTRATING UNDENIABLE TRUTH FACTS

B-1NW_4VIAALynE.jpg:large
tumblr_inline_nkeezsjAuH1svicb3.jpg

It's fucking white and gold.

EDIT: Though, I suppose it's a bit of a blueish white, and a slightly dark gold. I can see where this is coming from.

Damaniel

Banned
Blue and (very) dark gray here. I suspect you could call it black. Definitely not gold though (and I have no idea how the hell anyone gets white out of that. It's so blue it hurts.)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
White and Gold.

Edit: I felt the need to state that about an hour after this post I started seeing it as Blue and Black, now I only see it as Blue and Black.

I can't explain this.

EBE

thats obviously blue and black. black starts off kinda brownish/goldish at the top though.

WHITE and gold, though? i dont see that

jstripes

Banned
I've read that our eyes are designed to filter out a lot of blue because it's not that useful for what we need to see.

I can see blue in the white, but that's because of the colour balance.

DJ88

Oh my god, this thread is going to be 50 pages by tomorrow isn't it.

I see white and gold. I can see how the white could look blue if you don't realize it's white under shade, but I have no fucking idea how the gold could look black.

otapnam

Omg, this thread is going to be 50 pages by tomorrow isn't it.

I see white and gold. I can see how the white can look blue if you don't realize it's white under shade, but I have no idea how the gold could look black.

Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom