• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

Cloud

CrushDance said:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? You derail the thread further by yourself and then post:

And good ol Nintex still has nothing better to say:

You guys are seriously fucked.
-------------------------------------------

Anyway game looks better and better every day, enemies designs are much sharper now to than before. I find it weird that there's no split screen though since most Wii games usually have that feature. Oh and before I forget, does the Wii have a headset? I haven't used mine for anything other than Brawl since last year >_>

Saw that too. Nintex is such a fucked up poster he's not limited to ruining only Sony threads anymore. :lol :lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
HV is putting a lot of love into this game, it is very commendable. They made a believer out of me :). I like how everything, including the HUD, is customizable and not only that, it is customizable with numeric values for the sliders so that if some user discover a particularly neat set-up they can easily share it with others.

GOOD JOB!

One of the major challenges that we discovered when moving forward with the project was that most publishers we spoke to had no (zero, less than zero, terribly less than zero) interest in seeing what we could do with higher-end graphics, tight gameplay, and integrated mechanics. "The Wii is not a hardcore market," and variations on that theme were common refrains.

I think this quote is awesome because it's essentially reconfirming Sega's commitment to the hardcore crowd on the wii. In other words, in case the HotD trailers haven't told me clear enough: "SEGA IS LISTENING."

CTLance

CrushDance said:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? You derail the thread further by yourself and then post:
(snip)
And good ol Nintex still has nothing better to say:
(snip)
You guys are seriously fucked.
Says the guy who just dug up a two weeks old derail.

Take this shit to PMs and for the love of christ don't quote that fucking huge pic in your post.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Shaheed79 said:
Wow, I have to buy this game now. They tried to address 2 of the 3 issues I wrote them about several months ago and they mentioned those improvements in the update one using almost the exact same words I used in making shooting enemies more visceral and satisfying. It's not exactly where I want it to be but they tried and their getting better all the time. They have my purchase now no matter what score the game gets.

Out of curiosity, what were your complaints?

I got some hands on goodness with The Conduit last week and walked away very impressed with what High Voltage is doing on the system. The tech is every bit as impressive as they've been promising. It's also just a really, really solid first-person shooter, not the most original thing in the entire world but fun as hell and immediately engaging. I'm really curious to see how well the online's implemented though. I talked with their art director Matt Corso, and he confirmed sixteen player matches are in, as are friend codes. It's looking good though. My preview if anyone's interested:

The Conduit: High Voltage’s Refined Take on Gaming Comfort Food

There are a lot of videogames about shooting mean things from space. Sometimes you’re shooting them in space or on the dreary planet from whence they came. Sometimes you’re shooting them in a recognizable city from our planet. Usually, you are allowed to turn their war tools against them. The mean things from space have three stock forms: the beast, the inhuman bi-ped, and the faceless, armored/exoskeletoned mystery (this last variety also covers robots.) The shooting-things-from-outer-space model is the chicken of game recipes, a flavorless, ubiquitous ingredient that is made spectacular only through delicate flavoring. At first blush, High Voltage’s The Conduit looks like grilled chicken breast: you play as a faceless government agent battling aliens on the streets of Washigton D.C. while also uncovering a massive conspiracy. Heat and serve with garnish, right? It’s hard to shake The Conduit’s inherent familiarity even beyond its premise. The game’s menus, control, and enemy design all recall the Wii’s greatest success in shooting-stuff-in-space field: Metroid Prime 3. But even the simplest dish can become a gourmet masterpiece in the hands of the right chef.

From my quick play session, it seems that The Conduit is a savory game underneath its bland veneer. High Voltage has even given the appropriate spice to those common ingredients listed above. For starters, the game’s space-pirate-deadringers are called the Drudge. (Despite the game’s D.C. setting, these baddies are not associated with Matt Drudge, an ideal shooter villain if there ever was one.) Rather than go with your usual infiltration or straight up invasion, the Drudge are crafty. They start by creating international turmoil by-way-of bioengineered plague (“The Bug”,) assassinating the president, and then polish it off with a full-scale assault on the capital. Much more exciting than the Chimera’s kill-and-assimilate-everybody-at-once approach, right? Protagonist Mr. Ford, a former secret service agent inducted into anti-Drudge organization The Trust at the game’s outset, gets a much needed dose of personality from actor Mark Sheppard. Sheppard is beloved by nerds the world over for his character Romo Lampkin in Battlestar Galactica. Okay, these are not the grandest variations on common themes. It’s really The Conduit’s polish and proficiency as a game that make it stand out, and that’s arguably the highest praise you can give any game.

High Voltage’s much-publicized 3D engine lives up to the hype – The Conduit is the best-looking three-dimensional game I’ve seen running on Nintendo’s hardware, second only to the shimmering gloss of Super Mario Galaxy. Activity abounds in The Conduit’s environments and is rich with the sort of effects core gamers always seek out, from dynamic lighting to particle rich explosions. (I didn’t get to see the excellent water effects so prominent in High Voltage’s original tech demo.) The level I played through seemed tightly bound though; I ran into a few not-so-invisible walls funneling me down a specific path. The actual shooting is very good, recalling Metroid Prime 3’s intuitive interface but losing its obnoxious balancing issues. The enemies I ran into were smart and aggressive, but they didn’t take a million shots to bring down. Excellent stuff. Also impressive is the sheer amount of customization available in The Conduit. Every aspect of the game can be tweaked to a specific degree. Pointer and turning sensitivity just a smidge too high? You can bump it down just a hint, then maybe another hint, to your heart’s content. Find the default HUD too invasive? You can move any onscreen icon anywhere you like or remove them completely for a more immersive experience.

This was an appetizer though, just a brief sampling of what The Conduit has to offer when it releases this spring. This very traditional, very proficient first-person shooter from a developer ready to become a major player in the industry is very appetizing though. I’m very much looking forward to the main course.

link: http://nerve.com/CS/blogs/61fps/arc...ge-s-refined-take-on-gaming-comfort-food.aspx

My pleasure. Might be the first Wii game I actually start requesting friend codes for. Should be good fun, provided everything runs smooth.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Great preview, my excitement increases even more. The first thing I'm going to do when I get the game is play with the controls and HUD. :D

Arde5643

Fantastical said:
Great preview, my excitement increases even more. The first thing I'm going to do when I get the game is play with the controls and HUD. :D
HUD placement usually doesn't bother me, but yeah, I'm gonna customize that control for shizzles.

MarkusRJR

Is it really as good looking as you say it is? Better or worse than Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (which is the Wii's best looking game in my opinion)?

pakkit

Banned
Yaceka said:
Is it really as good looking as you say it is? Better or worse than Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (which is the Wii's best looking game in my opinion)?
He said it was the second best looking game on the Wii, behind Galaxy, which would imply yes.

I think Metroid is brilliant artistically, and pretty good technically.

MotherFan

seaandthebells said:
My pleasure. Might be the first Wii game I actually start requesting friend codes for. Should be good fun, provided everything runs smooth.

Are friend codes the only type of multiplayer or will it have random matches too?

Mejilan

I imagine random matches will be allowed too, just with chats disabled or some such. That's typically standard procedure.

He didn't specify but I'm sure that random matches are included.

And yeah, I'd definitely say it's superior to Metroid Prime 3 graphically, but it doesn't have half the style that Prime 3 has. That's really the thing about Conduit. Its very generic, but very well done. Do not judge it by its screens, wait until you see it in progressive scan on a decent LCD screen.

On another Sega note, there's an announcement coming tomorrow about another game of theirs. Nothing huge, so don't get super hyped, but I'm pretty pumped about it. I don't want to spam y'all with previews, but I've got a preview for that one going live at midnight when the embargo lifts so check it out if you like.

MarkusRJR

seaandthebells said:
On another Sega note, there's an announcement coming tomorrow about another game of theirs. Nothing huge, so don't get super hyped, but I'm pretty pumped about it. I don't want to spam y'all with previews, but I've got a preview for that one going live at midnight when the embargo lifts so check it out if you like.
My guesses (if it's Wii related):
-Let's Tap localized
-Pole's Big Adventure localized

Meesh

Yaceka said:

I think it looks better than MP

kinggroin

Banned
seaandthebells said:

And yeah, I'd definitely say it's superior to Metroid Prime 3 graphically, but it doesn't have half the style that Prime 3 has. That's really the thing about Conduit. Its very generic, but very well done. Do not judge it by its screens, wait until you see it in progressive scan on a decent CRT screen.

Fixed for ya ;)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Mejilan said:
I imagine random matches will be allowed too, just with chats disabled or some such. That's typically standard procedure.
I hope they don't do that. I want random matches with voice chat. :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
online multi = warranted buy. i need me my head-poppin fix.

Mejilan

Fantastical said:

I believe that's totally against Nintendo's policies, and as such, impossible!

AColdDay

seaandthebells said:
I got some hands on goodness with The Conduit last week and walked away very impressed with what High Voltage is doing on the system. The tech is every bit as impressive as they've been promising. It's also just a really, really solid first-person shooter, not the most original thing in the entire world but fun as hell and immediately engaging. I'm really curious to see how well the online's implemented though. I talked with their art director Matt Corso, and he confirmed sixteen player matches are in, as are friend codes. It's looking good though. My preview if anyone's interested:

There are a lot of videogames about shooting mean things from space. Sometimes you’re shooting them in space or on the dreary planet from whence they came. Sometimes you’re shooting them in a recognizable city from our planet. Usually, you are allowed to turn their war tools against them. The mean things from space have three stock forms: the beast, the inhuman bi-ped, and the faceless, armored/exoskeletoned mystery (this last variety also covers robots.) The shooting-things-from-outer-space model is the chicken of game recipes, a flavorless, ubiquitous ingredient that is made spectacular only through delicate flavoring. At first blush, High Voltage’s The Conduit looks like grilled chicken breast: you play as a faceless government agent battling aliens on the streets of Washigton D.C. while also uncovering a massive conspiracy. Heat and serve with garnish, right? It’s hard to shake The Conduit’s inherent familiarity even beyond its premise. The game’s menus, control, and enemy design all recall the Wii’s greatest success in shooting-stuff-in-space field: Metroid Prime 3. But even the simplest dish can become a gourmet masterpiece in the hands of the right chef.

From my quick play session, it seems that The Conduit is a savory game underneath its bland veneer. High Voltage has even given the appropriate spice to those common ingredients listed above. For starters, the game’s space-pirate-deadringers are called the Drudge. (Despite the game’s D.C. setting, these baddies are not associated with Matt Drudge, an ideal shooter villain if there ever was one.) Rather than go with your usual infiltration or straight up invasion, the Drudge are crafty. They start by creating international turmoil by-way-of bioengineered plague (“The Bug”,) assassinating the president, and then polish it off with a full-scale assault on the capital. Much more exciting than the Chimera’s kill-and-assimilate-everybody-at-once approach, right? Protagonist Mr. Ford, a former secret service agent inducted into anti-Drudge organization The Trust at the game’s outset, gets a much needed dose of personality from actor Mark Sheppard. Sheppard is beloved by nerds the world over for his character Romo Lampkin in Battlestar Galactica. Okay, these are not the grandest variations on common themes. It’s really The Conduit’s polish and proficiency as a game that make it stand out, and that’s arguably the highest praise you can give any game.

High Voltage’s much-publicized 3D engine lives up to the hype – The Conduit is the best-looking three-dimensional game I’ve seen running on Nintendo’s hardware, second only to the shimmering gloss of Super Mario Galaxy. Activity abounds in The Conduit’s environments and is rich with the sort of effects core gamers always seek out, from dynamic lighting to particle rich explosions. (I didn’t get to see the excellent water effects so prominent in High Voltage’s original tech demo.) The level I played through seemed tightly bound though; I ran into a few not-so-invisible walls funneling me down a specific path. The actual shooting is very good, recalling Metroid Prime 3’s intuitive interface but losing its obnoxious balancing issues. The enemies I ran into were smart and aggressive, but they didn’t take a million shots to bring down. Excellent stuff. Also impressive is the sheer amount of customization available in The Conduit. Every aspect of the game can be tweaked to a specific degree. Pointer and turning sensitivity just a smidge too high? You can bump it down just a hint, then maybe another hint, to your heart’s content. Find the default HUD too invasive? You can move any onscreen icon anywhere you like or remove them completely for a more immersive experience.

This was an appetizer though, just a brief sampling of what The Conduit has to offer when it releases this spring. This very traditional, very proficient first-person shooter from a developer ready to become a major player in the industry is very appetizing though. I’m very much looking forward to the main course.

link: http://nerve.com/CS/blogs/61fps/arc...ge-s-refined-take-on-gaming-comfort-food.aspx

I really like your writing style. I hope you post more of your stuff in the future, but not during times when I'm really hungry. What other upcoming games have you tried out?

Agent X

seaandthebells said:
I got some hands on goodness with The Conduit last week and walked away very impressed with what High Voltage is doing on the system.

Nice preview! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the multiplayer modes.

seaandthebells said:

And yeah, I'd definitely say it's superior to Metroid Prime 3 graphically, but it doesn't have half the style that Prime 3 has. That's really the thing about Conduit. Its very generic, but very well done. Do not judge it by its screens, wait until you see it in progressive scan on a decent LCD screen.

Is it a game that's not known by us to be in NA yet? Like a possible localization? Brand new game?

And midnight WHEN? 1 hour and a half EST?

jrricky

Banned
seaandthebells said:

Wonderful. Cant wait to preview it come Saturday.:D

scitek

pakkit said:
He said it was the second best looking game on the Wii, behind Galaxy, which would imply yes.

I think Metroid is brilliant artistically, and pretty good technically.

That's the thing, The Conduit might not hold a candle to MP3 artistically, but, in truth, very few games will EVER be able to. MP3's one of the most stunningly gorgeous games I've ever seen, just from an artistic standpoint, it's so alive and diverse, it's just an amazing achievement as far as I'm concerned.

The first time I played through it in August of '07, the best-looking HD title I'd seen to that point was probably Gears of War. I thought the game was still mind-blowingly awesome with intricate detail then, but now I have all three consoles, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 4/W@W, Uncharted...some of the most technically impressive games of this generation, and even after having played the shit out of each of these games, MP3 was still able to wow me again 16 months after its release. It's just a pure labor of love, and it really has a sense of personality unlike almost every game out there.

So, when someone says The Conduit is devoid of MP3's artistic prowess, I hope most people realize that the same can be said of nearly every game in existence.

MotherFan

Fantastical said:

I don't think I have had any really good experiences with random voice chat, usually a bunch of idiots saying stupid things.

Davey Cakes

Obviously HVS wasn't going to blow people away with a game as artistically stunning as Metroid Prime 3. They're clearly trying to do two things: 1) Using the Wii's power to its fullest, and 2) making The Conduit a highly customizable experience not seen anywhere else on Wii. From what I've seen and heard, they are succeeding.

The game may lack that artistic punch, but if anything, The Conduit is serving as a base for future FPS games on Wii. Maybe in the future we'll get a game with amazing art direction that uses the Quantum3 engine.

Vinci

Danish
seaandthebells said:
Let's Tap

You mentioned its chances in your blog post on the subject. If they actually advertise it and make it seem like a further extension of the Wii experiment and don't release it against huge amounts of competition, I think people will buy it. Not in droves or anything ridiculous, but I could see it selling 200,000 units when all's said and done. They should definitely have it shown on the Nintendo Channel. I've noticed a slight uptick in sales for games shown on there. Could be coincidental, but I'm starting to doubt it.

Vinci said:
They should definitely have it shown on the Nintendo Channel. I've noticed a slight uptick in sales for games shown on there. Could be coincidental, but I'm starting to doubt it.

I definitely agree with you there, Vinci. A spot on the Nintendo Channel would definitely help raise awareness of the game. I actually think Sega and Prope should release each of the mini-games from Let's Tap as WiiWare games.

I don't think this would ever happen, but Let's Tap would be one of the best-selling games of the year if Sega and Nintendo would bundle it with a controller, Wii Play style. It isn't unprecedented either, since Nintendo and Sega had the Ghost Squad/Zapper bundle.

Vinci

Danish
seaandthebells said:
I definitely agree with you there, Vinci. A spot on the Nintendo Channel would definitely help raise awareness of the game. I actually think Sega and Prope should release each of the mini-games from Let's Tap as WiiWare games.

I like this. The only issue with the Nintendo Channel is the lack of Wii demos. Yes, we get DS ones and that's awesome - but it's still an issue that should be addressed sometime in the future.

I don't think this would ever happen, but Let's Tap would be one of the best-selling games of the year if Sega and Nintendo would bundle it with a controller, Wii Play style. It isn't unprecedented either, since Nintendo and Sega had the Ghost Squad/Zapper bundle.

Agreed.

m3k

seaandthebells said:
I got some hands on goodness with The Conduit last week and walked away very impressed with what High Voltage is doing on the system...

thanks, i really want this to turn out well for us and for high voltage

wu tang! :lol

pakkit

Banned
Linkzg said:
comic-con gameplay
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45195.html

it looks fun, but the video made me worried about slowdown at parts. I still say tone down the graphical effects to keep the frame rate solid. IR and unstable frame rate is really bad.
All that video proved was whoever was playing is bad. The only slowdown occurred when he was stuck in an alleyway against a huge thing... And that Conduit has an optional health bar? What was that green bar in the top left?

pakkit said:
All that video proved was whoever was playing is bad. The only slowdown occurred when he was stuck in an alleyway against a huge thing... And that Conduit has an optional health bar? What was that green bar in the top left?
All the bars are optional. You can move and adjust each HUD item.

Top Bottom