• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

markatisu

jrricky said:
What does the regular edition boxart look like?

Regular Edition

51pY2hs4WXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Gamestop CE

230518b.jpg

Hiltz

I like the look of the bigger alien enemies and the flying enemy type as well.

As long as the game turns out to be an above average, solid FPS with good graphics, smooth online multiplayer, impressive controls, adequate AI and offers some cool weapons, then that's all I really want. If The Conduit can do better than that, then great. Still, I don't expect it to be blow my mind on all aspects of its game design. However, I do have huge respect for the developer and the things it set out to accomplish including listening to the feedback its received from fans. and taking a risk on the Wii with its first original, big IP.

markatisu said:
Its the truth, MoHH2 is a PSP port to Wii. It does run fast but it looks like complete ass

Not sure what the problem is with that comment
Why would it have to look like a psp port if it ran at 60fps? If they are holding the standard to MoHH2, then their line of thought is severely flawed. Metroid Prime 3 looks leagues ahead of this and most other games while still running at 60fps.

That statement doesnt make any sense at all for me....

m3k

Hiltz said:
I like the look of the bigger alien enemies and the flying enemy type as well.

As long as the game turns out to be an above average, solid FPS with good graphics, smooth online multiplayer, impressive controls, adequate AI and offers some cool weapons, then that's all I really want. If The Conduit can do better than that, then great. Still, I don't expect it to be blow my mind on all aspects of its game design. However, I do have huge respect for the developer and the things it set out to accomplish including listening to the feedback its received from fans. and taking a risk on the Wii with its first original, big IP.

is that all

i hope all the work high voltage puts in, pays off in the end... its clear theyve done alot more than the normal wii developer

Kenka

NintendosBooger said:
This game is going to tank unless they provide it some serious marketing push --- I'm talking Brain Age type of exposure.

You are doubting the quality of this title to that extent ? Or is there something else ?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Kenka said:
You are doubting the quality of this title to that extent ? Or is there something else ?
you kidding? quality is only a part of the overall sellability of the Wii. it could end up being better than CoD4, Halo 3, and Killzone 2 combined and still bomb if it isn't properly marketed. Wii game sales are based largely on marketing push and focusing on why a potential consumer would want to play the game. for example, Madworld failed in this respect with its marketing. it focused on the "gritty," "mature" parts of Madworld as opposed to why everyone liked it, the ridiculous amount of blood and gore and the humor. if they had a humor based ad campaign running, with lots of the corny blood splattering everywhere (but with the gore blatantly censored), and with a commentary by the two announcers, i guarantee that the game would have done much better. it would have interested them with the humor of it and not the "gritty" and "mature" stuff that only attracts 12 year olds.

this needs to get across 3 things: Shooting Aliens, Multiplayer, and fun to control. those are the important parts that people will buy the game for. heck, they only really need the first two to get anywhere. with it being rated Teen, and if they can get it right, they'll have a real sales hit on their hands. it'll burn longer, but it'll be good.

Boerseun

Banned
doomed1 said:
you kidding? quality is only a part of the overall sellability of the Wii. it could end up being better than CoD4, Halo 3, and Killzone 2 combined and still bomb if it isn't properly marketed. Wii game sales are based largely on marketing push and focusing on why a potential consumer would want to play the game. for example, Madworld failed in this respect with its marketing. it focused on the "gritty," "mature" parts of Madworld as opposed to why everyone liked it, the ridiculous amount of blood and gore and the humor. if they had a humor based ad campaign running, with lots of the corny blood splattering everywhere (but with the gore blatantly censored), and with a commentary by the two announcers, i guarantee that the game would have done much better. it would have interested them with the humor of it and not the "gritty" and "mature" stuff that only attracts 12 year olds.

this needs to get across 3 things: Shooting Aliens, Multiplayer, and fun to control. those are the important parts that people will buy the game for. heck, they only really need the first two to get anywhere. with it being rated Teen, and if they can get it right, they'll have a real sales hit on their hands. it'll burn longer, but it'll be good.

Nice post. Although I wouldn't say that Madworld has failed. It's doing decent numbers and should have legs like many other Wii titles.

You're right on the marketing though. The focus on gore and grit has really turned me off buying it. The reviews keep mentioning the great controls and humour, but I'm certainly not seeing it in the marketing push.

Rewrite said:
GameStop's is so much better in every way to me.
I want the regular edition cover art myself...dont really care for the special edition one, which is what ill be getting :^/
Maybe it will have inner art of the standard one on the back of the special edition cover.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
abstract alien said:
I want the regular edition cover art myself...dont really care for the special edition one, which is what ill be getting :^/
Maybe it will have inner art of the standard one on the back of the special edition cover.
I think I'll probably print the regular edition background and have it as a spare. It's possible that it may have the original cover in there. That'd be cool. You would get the best of both worlds.

MNC

How about some special filter to countermeasure that aliasing? Didn't Bioshock use something like that, since it didn't have AA options...?

markatisu

abstract alien said:
Why would it have to look like a psp port if it ran at 60fps? If they are holding the standard to MoHH2, then their line of thought is severely flawed. Metroid Prime 3 looks leagues ahead of this and most other games while still running at 60fps.

That statement doesnt make any sense at all for me....

What is not to understand, they are saying their engine could not make the graphics they want work good under 60fps, if they wanted to lower it to PSP levels they could. They lowered it to make it look good.

You keep comparing it to MP3 but that is Retro and Nintendo which means quite a large budget and high end artists and animators.

If its so easy why does CoD WaW look like ass, MoHH2 look like ass, QoS and every other FPS that has ever hit the Wii look like ass except for MP3.

The answer is because in order for those developers to get the 60fps high they had to make concessions on graphics.

Again what is hard to understand besides you obviously thinking that every studio can produce the same results that Retro and Nintendo have, if someone wants to fund them or funnel great talent and high budgets I am sure we would see more things closer to the quality of MP3 but this game wont be that.

donny2112

I love Perfect Dark. I love Perfect Dark even when explosions are happening everywhere and the game is chugging along at about 3 fps. I think I can handle The Conduit "only" being a locked 30 fps. :lol :D

CaVaYeRo

Today's been our multiplayer online demo. My colleague hands-on impressions couldn't be better. I was expecting something worse. Some highlights in English:

12 players online gameplay: free for all, but random stage, objective, guns.
- Three Environments: Hospital, On the Streets, the Pentagon.
- Hospital: lot of corridors, corners and small rooms. Fits for pistol and small guns.
- The Pentagon: Very good combination of big central area with rooms and "balconies". At the end, everybody goes to the central space. Some sewers, too. Fits for sniper and a lot of guns.
- On the Streets: big empty area and destroyed buildings around. Everybody with bazooka. Lot of explosions, lighting, smoke and noise, but running smoothly.

- Experience points: 25 rank levels
- Three stages types: small (recommended for 2-6 players), medium (recommended for 8-10 and big (recommended for 8-12 players)
- Stages confirmed at this point: Bunker, Pentagon, Complex, Sanctum, Infirmary, Streets, Warehouse

http://www.revogamers.net/avances-434-The-Conduit---Impresiones-multijugador-online-1.html

If you have any questions, I could ask him.

We also got 6 new screens from multiplayer gameplay stuff

12392.jpg

http://www.revogamers.net/screen.php?gameId=682-The-Conduit

And some video, which I'm checking right now.

CaVaYeRo

J-Rock said:
Thanks! Cool screenshots. Were can I find the video?

uploading now. It's Multiplayer gameplay stuff. Perfect Dark -ish

I'll update with some more MP details later.

EDIT: Previous post updated with ranks stuff. Video is taking sooooooo long

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CaVaYeRo said:
AWESOME STUFF

Glad to hear the multiplayer is a lot of fun. I was worried it might be a real dud. Also...

12380.jpg

New enemy type?

J-Rock

Banned
Hmmm...The screens have been taken down. I'm guessing you guys put them up too early? Does this mean we won't see the video any time soon?

CaVaYeRo

J-Rock said:
Hmmm...The screens have been taken down. I'm guessing you guys put them up too early? Does this mean we won't see the video any time soon?

just 6 new MP screens at the moment, it seems. I'll see wht happens with the video ;)

EDIT: About the bots question: they didn't let any configuration, so we don't know yet. I guess we'll ask some Qs to HVS later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think if there were bots we'd have heard about them by now. Splitscreen was at the top of my local-play list, but bots would suffice. Sadly I believe it is multiplayer only.

J-Rock

Banned
Yeah it does kind of have a slight Perfect Dark multiplayer vibe. Slight.

It seems like the pistol isn't too weak and it looks like the shotgun can kill in one hit. Nice. I'm definitely going to enjoy this game.

EatChildren

That banned Nintendo blog has a developer interview up, where fans sent in questions. Worth a read, but for those who'd rather not here is a summary;

- 32 max friends saved. Tried to get 64 but fell into problems.
- LAN play cut because the Wii doesn't properly support it. When playing the Wii still wants to connect to Nintendo's servers, which causes problems when trying to play locally. Tried to work it out with Nintendo but no viable solution came up.
- Lobby allows for voting of weapon sets, map, etc.
- No 'classes', but character customisation does exist.
- No DLC.
- 6 to 8 hours for the single player, longer to unlock and find everything.
- Wanted to do custom soundtracks, but fell through.
- Five playable 'characters' for multiplayer with a wealth of skin altering options for further customisation.
- Lots of unlockables including cheats, concept art, achievements, and more.
- Multiplayer has 3 'Game Types' with 13 'Game Modes'. 8 weapon sets. 7 maps.
- Ranking system to show your skill level. No hint that anything is 'unlocked', just a ranking of skill.
- Five single player difficulty levels; Low, Guarded, Elevated, High, and Severe. Guarded is default. Claims to have only beaten the game twice on Severe.

Scrubking

EatChildren said:
That banned Nintendo blog has a developer interview up, where fans sent in questions. Worth a read, but for those who'd rather not here is a summary;

- 32 max friends saved. Tried to get 64 but fell into problems.
- LAN play cut because the Wii doesn't properly support it. When playing the Wii still wants to connect to Nintendo's servers, which causes problems when trying to play locally. Tried to work it out with Nintendo but no viable solution came up.
- Lobby allows for voting of weapon sets, map, etc.
- No 'classes', but character customisation does exist.
- No DLC.
- 6 to 8 hours for the single player, longer to unlock and find everything.
- Wanted to do custom soundtracks, but fell through.
- Five playable 'characters' for multiplayer with a wealth of skin altering options for further customisation.
- Multiplayer has 3 'Game Types' with 13 'Game Modes'. 8 weapon sets. 7 maps.
- Ranking system to show your skill level. No hint that anything is 'unlocked', just a ranking of skill.
- Five single player difficulty levels; Low, Guarded, Elevated, High, and Severe. Guarded is default. Claims to have only beaten the game twice on Severe.

Very nice.

Jaagen

I must say the animation in multiplayer looks like ass. Mostly the walking animation. Looks nice in single player, looks like shit in MP. The MP stages seem kind of bland and empty too, but I'll reserve my judgement until I know more. The info from "that banned site" sounds good, though.

donny2112

EatChildren said:

Excellent. If they're unlockable with low times on the levels, it gives lots of good reason to come back and keep tryig to master the levels like in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. :D

later

This game looks so fugly in comparison to more recent games like RE: Darkside chronicles, dead space wii, and others. Why are they still touting the graphics as if they are somehow amazing? They really aren't.

donny2112

later said:
This game looks so ugly in comparison to more recent games like RE: Darkside chronicles, dead space wii, and others. Why are they still touting the graphics as if they are somehow amazing? They really aren't.

I'll take a good/great-looking/playing FPS over a great looking/playing light-gun game pretty much every time. ;P

Jaagen said:
I must say the animation in multiplayer looks like ass. Mostly the walking animation. Looks nice in single player, looks like shit in MP. The MP stages seem kind of bland and empty too, but I'll reserve my judgement until I know more. The info from "that banned site" sounds good, though.

Agreed. It's not MoH:H2 bad, but the models still look weird when walking.

Davey Cakes

From what I've seen, it certainly looks like an enjoyable game. And yeah, that has a lot to do with the controls. Dual-analog actually sucks the fun out of FPS for me, a lot of the time, so I really can't wait to try out the fully-customizable and fluid controls that The Conduit seems to provide, even if it takes some getting used to. Ever since Metroid Prime 3 I've been on board with Wiimote FPS controls, but have also been holding out for something more catered to my exact specification. The effort High Voltage has been putting into the customization in their game is definitely going to make it a refreshing experience.

Also, it just looks like a shooter that doesn't take itself too seriously. And, the multiplayer doesn't look horrible either. Just seems like more of a "pure fun" kind of thing. I don't mind any unexpected graphical shortcomings or weird animation flaws as long as I'm enjoying myself.

Top Bottom