• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Console/PC Scene Thread

stranno

There are already threads for translations and retail games on old systems, but I miss a thread about the console/PC scene in general (except piracy-related content): Homebrew games, source ports, re-implementations, wrappers, mods..

A few news of the latest days:

VITA

Rinnegatamante is porting another Android game to the system, using the .so Loader by TheFloW: This War of Mine.

He also managed to active the SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) experimental feature in the idTech3 Engine, so his Quake III (vitaQuakeIII), Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Jedi Knight (OpenJK) ports will see a massive boost in performance, using three of the four Vita cores (previously unused).

MAME

TheMogMiner, one of the latest contributors to the project, has emulated Time Traveler for the first time in MAME. This game was one of those uber-weird LaserDisc-holographic games for arcade, yet somewhat popular. It is the first addition to the LaserDisc driver in MAME since August 2008!

It will be available on MAME 0.242 next week.

PLAYSTATION

gI5AjXOm.png
cwteRpVm.png
X4Owf3Qm.png
an4VKjTm.png

Qg0UEsEm.png
9NokC6cm.png
SYUqavQm.png
GxpBGZam.png

Newcomer user TheCandidate has released MANY new Playstation widescreen patches in the latest weeks, which are not nearly as common as Playstation 2 widescreen patches. These can be used on any platform that support cheats directly or Gameshark disc through a swapping feature: I have tested them on real hardware using PSIO and Playstation 3 using webMAN-MOD.

Read the notes, some of them have culling problems or they're vert- (cropped FOV).

Last edited:

Kupfer

❤️ for reading something about the Vita.
Still my favourite handheld and what Rinnegatamante, TheFloW and a handful of other people are archiving with this device to keep it alive is just awesome.

Last edited:

stranno

Source code of Pygnosis' Wipeout (PS/PC) has been leaked. Unclear if its gonna be usable.

eEHszjYl.jpg

Fear Effect E3 Demo (PS1) has been leaked. It is very different from the final game, even being played in the same stage 1. Kronos did a great job in just 8 months.

zTx1Mipl.png

RocketRobz has released a new version of TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap. TWM is an all-in-one solution menu for emulators on DS (flashcard), DSi (sd) and 3DS (sd). nds-bootstrap is a wrapper that redirects read/writes from SLOT1 to the memory card, allowing to load DS games from an SD card, instead of a flashcard/cartridge. It also supports DSi games on a regular DS (as long as they fit in the DS requirements, RAM and clocks).

That's not the SCENE I expected
Well, scene is a pretty general term.

Last edited:

stranno

GaryOderNichts is porting The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time decompilation to Wii U. He already ported Vice City (reVC) months ago to Wii U.

I guess this is the beginning of the OOT porting fever to consoles.

Last edited:

stranno

Robert Neumann, member of the PCSX2 Team, has announced a new kind of ODE for Playstation. It's not only more direct than PSIO or XStation, it could be adapted to any other CD system.

TheMogMiner has fixed some of latest problems with Time Traveler. It won't be in time for MAME 0.242, so these changes will arrive in two months.

OsirisX is porting RetroArch to Playstation 3 using PSL1GHT, the most modern PS3 toolchain. He has added Move support as well (only for lightguns, not mice). No binaries yet, but source code can be compiled already.

Last edited:

stranno

KPoQgQA.png
JtPjKZp.png

This War of Mine and This War of Mine: Stores - Father's Promise have been ported from Android to Vita. Port has been done by Rinnegatamante using the .so Loader by TheFloW.

stranno

He posted it yesterday. I think it is legit. At least TheFloW retweeted it.

Gamr13, the Xbox RetroArch provider has received a C&D from Nintendo.

Edit: :messenger_grinning: Weird AFD announcement. RetroArch and Kodi are back again.

Last edited:

stranno

After the This War of Mine release, Rinnegatamante is working on another Android port to Vita, the legendary indie game World of Goo.

Last edited:

stranno

8PUyEkj.png

World of Goo port from Android to Vita, by Rinnegatamante, is already available. It only supports touchscreen, but I guess it would be playable on PSTV using the touchscreen emulation. Edit: Yeah, works fine on PSTV.

Tdv61YO.png

Lakka 4.1 has been released. It is a Linux distro based on RetroArch. It can be used on Switch, among many other homebrew consoles.

Here are changes since the release of Lakka 4.0:
  • RetroArch updated to version 1.10.2
  • Cores updated to their most recent versions
  • New cores added
    • race: Neo-Geo Pocket
    • bk-emulator: BK-0010/0011/Terak 8510a
    • same_cdi: Philips CD-i
    • mame: MAME current
  • duckstation core (Sony Playstation) removed
  • Mesa updated to version 22.0.1
  • Mainline kernel updated to 5.10.109 (PC, Amlogic, Allwinner, NXP)
  • Raspberry kernel updated to 5.10.103
  • Nvidia support fixed (driver is now compiled as module)
  • Added Support for USB Wi-Fi dongles ASUS BT500 and TP-Link UB500
  • RPi.GPIO Python library added to all Raspberry Pi images (support for custom scripts for various cases)
  • System files for standalone cores added (no need to add them manually, but we disabled the system files downloader in Lakka - see below)

A VERY short technical demo of the never released Gex Jr. for Playstation has been leaked by one of the Hidden Palace members (justz00t, dumper of the Fear Effect E3 demo as well).

a39I6mV.jpg

Gears of War (360) source code could have been released, along with two new betas. Yet to be confirmed. Files are on Internet Archive, but I won't post it directly here.

Last edited:

stranno

Aldo Vargas (aldostools) has added FPS counter to the latest version of webMAN-MOD. Finally! we have a reliable FPS counter for PS3.

stranno

Kupfer Kupfer TheFloW already said that he is not disclosing them. I'm happy with his $20,000, since he is a great scener, but not really useful for future exploits.

A more detailed showcase of FPS counter from aldostools and TheRouletteBoi.

ndeadly has added motion controls to MissionControl, his Switch system plugin to vastly improve the bluetooth device support on the console. For now motion controls are only limited to Dual Shock 4, DualSense and Wii Remote Plus. In the video Wii Remote is all over the place, but it can be fixed just syncing the gamepad from an stable position (it seems Switch checks the motion values the first time you sync a gamepad). Anyway, Wii Remote is not enough to control FPSs like Quake, since without a second joystick you cant turn wide enough.

Last edited:

stranno

aCp0X1U.png

Flycast (standalone) has been updated with XBOX/UWP support, among many other improvements. Of course it is also available on Windows, Switch, OSX, Android and iOS.

GGPO netplay
UWP/Xbox support
New DirectX 11 renderer
New & improved input configuration, per-game inputs
Single-threaded mode
Lua bindings
VMU beep support
GameShark cheat codes
Vulkan support on macOS
Support for 120+ Hz monitors (Vulkan, DX9, DX11)

I guess gamr13, the most popular/only XBOX retail apps provider, will upload it to the marketplace next week, for XBOX consoles.

Q6dQtLY.png
8tiVkDH.png

YoYo Loader Vita has been released by Rinnegatamante. It is basically another of those Android to Vita ports, but instead of a game, this is a loader for GameMaker Studio games. It technically can load any GMS game.

YoYo Loader is a loader for libyoyo.so, the official GameMaker Studio Runner application for Android, for the PS Vita.
YoYo Loader works by loading such ARMv7 executable in memory, resolving its imports with native functions and patching it in order to properly run.
This enables to run potentially any game made with GameMaker Studio.

t9IgMDl.png
fdSvkDD.png

Northfear has released a new version of fheroes2-vita, his fheroes2 (Heroes of Might and Magic II re-implementation from scratch) port to Vita.

• Rework the whole logic related to Artifacts fixing many issues, incorrect behavior and missing descriptions
  • Speed up video loading by more than 3 times and improve game resources loading
  • Add native support for Norwegian and Italian fonts as well as update most of supported languages
  • Improve AI behavior and now it knows how to use Dimension Door spell
  • Fix logic with monster growth and in-battle behavior
  • Add support of FLAC and MP3 in-game music files
  • Over 50 bugs fixed since 0.9.13 release

C4uI8F5.png

Aldostools has added a few things to webMAN MOD 1.47.39 for Playstation 3, including a switch (L1+R1+TRIANGLE) to use the Lite version (-400KB in memory) of the program and a beep sound to the FPS counter L3+R3 combination. VSH performance depends on the game resources, so demanding or badly optimized games make it struggle, FPS counter could take a few seconds to appear, this way at least you are sure that the combo input has been registered.

💻 Major changes in source code structure including optimizations / fixes
☁️ Scanning of content on subdirectories of remote folders using ps3netsrv 20220330
🧰 Added combo L1+R1+TRIANGLE to toggle between LITE / FULL editions 🆕
🔢 Added combo L3+R3 to load/unload FPS counter plugin by @TheRouletteBoi 🆕
🔢 Added display of progress overlay for refresh XML, search, dump, copy through FPS counter plugin🆕
📜 Updated German language (thanks to @ozapft) 🆕
🐞 Bug fixes: delete cached ISO, unload wMM from memory, label in /netstatus.ps3 🆕
☑️ PS2 config database updates with fixes by @mrjaredbeta, @agrippa, @kozarovv
🚀 Cumulative update (includes over 30 commits to the suite of tools after 1.47.38)

Last edited:
Top Bottom