• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cool Toy Thread

fatty

I was recently in Target and stumbled upon these things called Snap Ships:

pgPLutxl.jpg

They are very modular. You get basic pieces where you can snap them together like Legos and then customize your ship with the different accent pieces. Each set comes with 3 builds to choose from but you can of course customize it however you like. I ended up picking up the 'Trident' for $20. I thought it looked pretty neat and gave me a Starcraft 2 Banshee vibe. And I love all things Starcraft.

UfauDkxl.jpg

lTYxZswl.jpg

I don't have the patience for the detailed models that you can buy where you also have to paint so this hits a compromise for me as they only take about 15 minutes to put together. And at only about $13 - $20 for each set, I liked them so much I ended up purchasing others:

gT31VXfl.jpg

They also have an app where you are able to take a picture of your ship and uses augmented reality but I haven't bothered downloading it.

D35AEMU.gif

Also, for Christmas one of my kids got a Gravitrax set and I thought it was really nice.

dqMMIWxl.jpg

It allows you to construct your own marble runs by using gravity, magnetism, and kinetics.

Being older I don't really buy toys anymore but then started noticing that there are some really interesting ones out there now, so I figured I would start a thread to see what some of you might be coming across.

Some other GAF threads on the subject:

Ionian

For 20 bucks OP that looks like a bargain, really does look like the SC2 Banshee.

As for toys for myself, I only get them as presents and just stick them on my shelf. Wish people would stop buying me Funko-Pops. Had to hide them in my bedroom to stop them as they thought I was a collector.

Anyone wanna buy some Funko-Pops?

GT7KPig.jpg

Is your toy made out of "diecast metal" ?

Does your toy shoot friggin spring-loaded lion heads out as weapons?

Does your toy transform from 5 battle-hardened Space Lions into the Defender of the UNIVERSE and stands over a foot tall and weighs probably a good 2 lbs, maybe 3 lbs easy?

Then your toy isn't 1984 VOLTRON and your toy sucks.

GT7KPig.jpg

Does your toy transform from 5 battle-hardened Space Lions into the Defender of the UNIVERSE and stands over a foot tall and weighs probably a good 2 lbs, maybe 3 lbs easy?

I miss the metal robot toys of the 80s so much.

Ionian

GT7KPig.jpg

Got that from Santa as a kid, cartoon used to play here and loved it.

Father brought me into a toy shop and asked me if I'd like it, I said no (my list was already too long with Star Wars, was always told to be modest with Santa).

Obviously he had already bought it. That thing was seriously heavy for a kid.

Don't remember the wings on it but do remember a younger cousin throwing the yellow tiger at my face and giving me a black eye. (little bastard).

The toy was cool as fuck. Still have all my old Star Wars, I wonder what ever happened to it now.

Got that from Santa as a kid, cartoon used to play here and loved it.

Father brought me into a toy shop and asked me if I'd like it, I said no (my list was already too long with Star Wars, was always told to be modest with Santa).

Obviously he had already bought it. That thing was seriously heavy for a kid.

Don't remember the wings on it but do remember a younger cousin throwing the yellow tiger at my face and giving me a black eye. (little bastard).

The toy was cool as fuck. Still have all my old Star Wars, I wonder what ever happened to it now.
I remember a friend of mine getting it and I was jealous AF. I really had no right to be, tho, considering I was pretty spoiled. Had most of the OG gen 1 transformers, GI Joe, Go-Bots, etc., etc.

Sadly, as spoiled as I was, I never got anything on the scale of the USS Flagg - look at this big bastard:

1*aOs3p43lA0b-69jBRzohJw.jpeg

MrMephistoX

I remember a friend of mine getting it and I was jealous AF. I really had no right to be, tho, considering I was pretty spoiled. Had most of the OG gen 1 transformers, GI Joe, Go-Bots, etc., etc.

Sadly, as spoiled as I was, I never got anything on the scale of the USS Flagg - look at this big bastard:

Half of me wishes I had some of those GI Joe sets still but they’re huge and despite making more money than my parents ever did I live in a tiny condo :( . I had this bad boy and it’s selling box less on EBay for $600: I had the complete thing set up in my parents basement before leaving for college, going abroad and them downsizing in the interim. Half tempted to search my parents house next time I can visit post COVID buy a box and sell for a grand or hoard it till it hits like $10k. No one makes shit like this anymore at this level of quality. Figures maybe but the 80’s knew how to build cool ass play sets.

e3BzW3N.jpg

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

I was able to get that bad boy used when I was little. It was missing a lot of pieces but it was still badass. So big it had to stay in the back yard.

The one I did get new was the Defiant Space Shuttle Complex. That thing was crazy awesome. And so heavy that the wheels on the crawler/base buckled when the shuttles were loaded inside.
m1XtZ6p.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to get that bad boy used when I was little. It was missing a lot of pieces but it was still badass. So big it had to stay in the back yard.

The one I did get new was the Defiant Space Shuttle Complex. That thing was crazy awesome. And so heavy that the wheels on the crawler/base bucked when the shuttles were loaded inside.
m1XtZ6p.jpg
Kids now a days are shit out of luck. They don't make toys like from the 80s anymore.

GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, HE-MAN, even the artwork on the box is badass!

LOOK at that shuttle or aircraft carrier! Screams imagination and exploration and masculinity.

MrMephistoX

Kids now a days are shit out of luck. They don't make toys like from the 80s anymore.

GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, HE-MAN, even the artwork on the box is badass!

LOOK at that shuttle or aircraft carrier! Screams imagination and exploration and masculinity.
Yeah closest is the current run of Transformer toys for the Netflix show but Megatron is not an actual handgun :(

7IiDBl3.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GT7KPig.jpg

Came to post this, the OG die cast Voltron was one of the best ever made. Not the cheap goofy plastic one where they had the giant action figures.

The car Voltron was dope too! I loved the die cast one when I was a kid, the legs would sometimes fall off when you were trying to fly it around because they were so heavy, but man it was really well made for the time.

They reissued it in the mid to late 2000s as Lionbot/Voltron and I regret not rebuying it every time I went into Toys R Us.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I come in here expecting cool toys.

This thread is a nerdy action figure thread. Not a single cool toy to be found. Shame on you nerds. Shame on you.

Top Bottom