• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

Whoa. Filming Othello has been tied up in bullshit for like 40 years. That's a big get.

I'm guessing whatever bullshit there was between Oja Kador and Beatrice Welles over The Other Side of the Wind that was resolved also helped to pave the way for Filming Othello to get cleared up, as well.

Fhtagn

My local BN seems to have a serious shrinkage problem, they keep having to order stuff for me that the inventory says is in stock. Their Criterion section is twice as large as it needs to be and has a depressing amount of open space and it's about 80% DVD.

I picked up Paris, Texas and Stalker and looked for World on a Wire and Nashville. Impulsively got Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles as well.

swoon

- I like the balance of vertical and horizontal space. I feel like you get a lot of vertical information you wouldn't have with a wider format -- or, actually, vertical space gets a fair amount of importance versus width, which inherently deserves to be greater because of human eyesight. There is a potential to be close to a subject without removing it from its environment (or chopping off the tops of towers, arches, etc.). The frames are neat, clean, and legible, sort of like a printed page.

beguiled i think is 1:66 as well. i share you love for it as well. tho academy ratio is the best for everything

Obviously it's dependent on the film, but I'm all about the drama of 2:35:1 or 2:40:1 widescreen compositions. I have dudes like Leone and Carpenter to thank for that.

Shiv47

I'm guessing whatever bullshit there was between Oja Kador and Beatrice Welles over The Other Side of the Wind that was resolved also helped to pave the way for Filming Othello to get cleared up, as well.

A few years ago, Beatrice fired or otherwise got rid of her long time representative, who was the one who basically held many Welles projects hostage through either exorbitant money demands or threat of lawsuits. Since he's been gone, she has been very open to getting projects done. She had nothing to do with Other Side of the Wind, that was all the original financiers and Oja (though apparently the current producers did tell her what their intentions were, she approved). Filming Othello was/is owned by the German TV company he made it for, as I understand it, and the main hold-up to seeing it released was that Beatrice owns Othello, and previously wouldn't allow the footage of it to be used. Obviously she's far more amenable to that these days.

omgkitty

The Arrow Summer sale is on!

Some really good titles, and for some really good prices.

A couple of examples:
Branded to Kill £4.99
Time Bandits £4.99
The Tin Drum £4.99
The Human Condition Trilogy £29.99
Dekalog £39.99 (won't go lower than this probably)

I basically can't afford to buy any more discs this month now. I picked up 5 more Criterion's last night:

Stalker
Red Desert
Gate of Hell
The Naked Island
The Wages of Fear

And then now this stupid Arrow sale:

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys Vol 2
The Ox-Bow Incident
Too Late for Tears
Woman on the Run

berzeli

Banned
Surprise Eureka announcement.
45yvv5w.png

• A Limited Edition Set (2000 units), Hard Bound slipcase containing an amaray and 100 page book, illustrated with newly commissioned artwork specially for this release
  • 150 minute reconstructed and restored 2010 version (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world) on Blu-ray
  • Metropolis Refound – a 2010 documentary by Evangelina Loguerico exploring the rediscovery of the most complete print of the Fritz Lang masterpiece in an Argentinean film museum
  • Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis – the 1984 re-imagining of Metropolis featuring a soundtrack by Moroder himself and artists such as Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, Freddie Mercury and many more
  • The Fading Image – Documentary which goes behind the scenes of Giorgio Moroder’s restoration and scoring
  • Pristine HD transfers (1080p on the Blu-ray discs)
  • The 2001 restoration that was considered the definitive version of the film before the discovery of the Argentina footage
  • 2010 symphony orchestra studio recording of the original 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1 (2010 version)
  • Berndt Heller’s arrangement of the Gottfried Huppertz score (2001 version)
  • Optional English subtitles as well as the original German intertitles
  • Full length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum (2010 version)
  • Full length audio commentary by film historian Enno Patalas (2001 version)
  • Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010, 53 minutes), a documentary about the film
  • 2010 re-release trailer
  • A 100-page book featuring extensive writings on the film; interviews with Fritz Lang and a stunning array of rare archival imagery

Fuck me.

Fhtagn

Stalker package is pretty bare-bones but what-the-fuck-ever it's a Criterion edition of Stalker!

Anyone else get a copy where the booklet was slightly damaged by the interior of the case? Two little tabs on the left edge interior pushed into the booklet?

I checked another recent purchase and that kind of case design had a flat piece of plastic connected to those two tabs, not sure if my case is defective or what.

Not terribly bothered by it but it was a mild bummer to not have it be flawless out of the seal.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
45yvv5w.png

• A Limited Edition Set (2000 units), Hard Bound slipcase containing an amaray and 100 page book, illustrated with newly commissioned artwork specially for this release
  • 150 minute reconstructed and restored 2010 version (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world) on Blu-ray
  • Metropolis Refound – a 2010 documentary by Evangelina Loguerico exploring the rediscovery of the most complete print of the Fritz Lang masterpiece in an Argentinean film museum
  • Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis – the 1984 re-imagining of Metropolis featuring a soundtrack by Moroder himself and artists such as Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, Freddie Mercury and many more
  • The Fading Image – Documentary which goes behind the scenes of Giorgio Moroder’s restoration and scoring
  • The 2001 restoration that was considered the definitive version of the film before the discovery of the Argentina footage
  • 2010 symphony orchestra studio recording of the original 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1 (2010 version)
  • Full length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum (2010 version)
  • A 100-page book featuring extensive writings on the film; interviews with Fritz Lang and a stunning array of rare archival imagery

Fuck me.
German text fields? How expensive?

berzeli

Banned
Whoa. Wish that was getting a US release.
Well at least Kino has put out both the 2010 restoration and Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis. Granted as separate releases and with less fancy packaging and less extras.
Anyone else get a copy where the booklet was slightly damaged by the interior of the case? Two little tabs on the left edge interior pushed into the booklet?

I checked another recent purchase and that kind of case design had a flat piece of plastic connected to those two tabs, not sure if my case is defective or what.

Not terribly bothered by it but it was a mild bummer to not have it be flawless out of the seal.
I've had a bunch of booklets damaged in a similar fashion upon retrieving them, which is a shame. But it's more of an annoyance than anything else.
German text fields? How expensive?
Text fields? (If you mean intertitles, then yes they're in German as it says in the description).

25£

As much as I like their box sets for individual movies, I think I'd prefer if they just came in regular cases. I'm talking about Blow Up and others. The boxes get damaged so much easier.

45yvv5w.png

Fuck me.

God damn. I wish I could stomach the price tag. I just spent a bundle already on Stalker, Eisenstien: The Sound Years, and a copy of Romero's Dawn of the Dead that wasn't overpriced.

Blader

That Metropolis release looks pretty cool, but why would you get the 90th anniversary set? Just wait another decade for the inevitable 100th anniversary blowout release.

Mumei

45yvv5w.png

Fuck me.

Just did an irresponsible impulse buy for something I probably won't be able to watch until I get a region-free player!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Because my TV sucks and I can't perceive the difference.

If it's blu-ray only or there's a good reason, I'll go high, but not often. Dark City Director's Cut was my first BR.

Jesus...
I see people leave TVs good enough to show the difference by the curb.

omgkitty

You're a monster.

I took the plunge a couple years ago, and while it's great all the blu-rays I can get that are either cheaper in the UK or aren't available in the US, I will say I've definitely ended up spending a lot more money on blu-rays. Honestly, though, it's great to have the freedom to buy the best version of something without shitty region locking. It's especially helpful with things like Kino releases which always seem to be inferior and more expensive than their MoC counterparts.

This is the player I bought. I don't believe I spent quite that much on it, but there's some secret menu settings where you can go in and change the region to anything you'd like, so you can play all discs.

Shiv47

I took the plunge a couple years ago, and while it's great all the blu-rays I can get that are either cheaper in the UK or aren't available in the US, I will say I've definitely ended up spending a lot more money on blu-rays. Honestly, though, it's great to have the freedom to buy the best version of something without shitty region locking. It's especially helpful with things like Kino releases which always seem to be inferior and more expensive than their MoC counterparts.

This is the player I bought. I don't believe I spent quite that much on it, but there's some secret menu settings where you can go in and change the region to anything you'd like, so you can play all discs.

Yeah, I picked up that Seiki player at Sears a couple years ago for $60, I think? It's served me well so far, though the first one I bought burned itself out the first time I turned it on.

Getting a region-free player is the best investment you can make if you're serious about collecting discs. And it's so easy these days to find one. I remember back in the early days of DVD having to order a chip that I got soldered into my player just to make it region free, as they hadn't cracked the PAL conversion yet. I then got a Malata DVD player that would let you zoom out the frame to eliminate TV overscan, among other features. Those were the days.

Mumei

Thanks! I was dreading the part of the process where I had to figure out what I should get.

That's the same one I bought, also got it on sale for $60 but at Amazon. Changing regions is as simple as inputting a code. I love it.

Shiv47

It's the last night, so it's a tad late, but Kino Lorber's been running a big sale on Blu ray and DVDs in their online shop. Some really good deals.

IronRinn

Damn:

Olympics_Current_Img1_large.jpg

53 newly restored films from 41 editions of the Olympic Games, presented together for the first time

Landmark 4K restorations of Olympia, Tokyo Olympiad, and Visions of Eight, among other titles

New scores for the silent films, composed by Maud Nelissen, Donald Sosin, and Frido ter Beek

A lavishly illustrated, 216-page hardcover book, featuring notes on the films by cinema historian Peter Cowie; a foreword by Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee; a short history of the restoration project by restoration producer Adrian Wood; and hundreds of photographs from a century of Olympic Games

32 Blu-ray discs of 45 DVDs. Preorder now for $319.96 (MSRP of $399.99)

Ridley327

That's a cool box set, but I think a lot of people would have much rather preferred standalone releases for the marquee titles in that set, especially with how long Tokyo Olympiad has been OOP.

berzeli

Banned
Indicator announced their new titles (Hammer Horror box set + 2 other horror flicks). However I'm stuck on a train for a couple of hours more and can't be arsed to post the (terrific) covers using my phone.

And that Olympic box set is a bit ridiculous.

Ridley327

Since the Olympic box set is spine #900 and is coming in December, I wonder if they're even going to bother releasing anything else that month.

I obviously can't speak to the quality of every film being included, but with there being 53 films that have all been restored (though some more than others, given the specific callouts) and having a rather large book, it seems like a rather nice bargain at even MSRP.

Oh man that set is simply ridiculous, I have to get it!

The only times Criterion have gone all out like this were the AK100 and (to a lesser extent) the Zatoichi set, right...?

EDIT: Oh the Janus 50 Years set too I guess!

swoon

That's probably the best way to describe her. She's most famous for Nazi propaganda, and Olympia was commissioned by the Nazi Party, but Olympia is about showcasing the athletes of the world, not just Germany

There isn't a controversy about her or really any of her films. She's a Nazi who made some films that aren't propaganda with an incredible eye for composition.

There is no controversy about Carl Junghans while we are at it. Pasolini is a controversial director

berzeli

Banned
Okay so with all the Bergman talk (and me finding this list to be slightly useful) I tried to track down everything that is restored:

Restored and or digitally available by/directly from the Swedish Film Institute:
Såsom i en spegel (Through a Glass Darkly)
Tystnaden (The Silence)
En lektion i kärlek (A Lesson in Love)
Skammen (Shame)
Stimulantia - Fun fact: one of the other segments is directed by Tomas Alfredson's father
För att inte tala om alla dessa kvinnor (All These Women)
Karins ansikte
Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries)*
Persona*
Djävulens öga (The Devil's Eye)
Kvinnors väntan (Waiting Women)
Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf)
Hamnstad (Port of Call)
En passion (The Passion of Anna)
Sommarnattens leende (Smiles of a Summer Night)*
Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal)*
Kris (Crisis)
Sommarlek (Summer Interlude)*
Törst (Three Strange Loves)
Till glädje (To Joy)
Sommaren med Monika (Summer with Monika)*
Ormens ägg (The Serpent's Egg)
Ur marionetternas liv (Aus dem Leben der Marionetten)

Also restored:
Fanny och Alexander (Fanny and Alexander)*
Höstsonaten (Autumn Sonata)*
Ansiktet (The Magician)*
Viskningar och rop (Cries and Whispers)*

Maybe restored:
Gycklarnas afton (Sawdust and Tinsel)**
Det regnar på vår kärlek (It Rains on Our Love)**
Skepp till India land (A Ship Bound for India)**
Kvinnodröm (Dreams)**

His TV work (digital versions exists, some restored, some could do with a bit of work, some won't be helped even with a lot of work):
Saraband
Sista skriket
Ett drömspel (A Dream Play)
Larmar och gör sig till (In the Presence of a Clown)
Markisinnan de Sade (Madame de Sade)
Trollflöjten (The Magic Flute) - aired recentish but I skipped it
Scener ur ett äktenskap (Scenes from a Marriage) - It is up for streaming with other restored titles but lordy is it rough. That could be on the behalf of the (mediocre) streaming service though.

*=Criterion blu ray available
**=Artificial Eye released these as part of their Early Bergman box set, they look good for the most part but I haven't been able to track down the sources for the masters

It is a bit weird that Nattvardsgästerna (Winter Light) hasn't been restored yet. It is however a very likely that it will surface in 2018, I think they (SFI) stated that they want all his films to be restored by/in 2018.

Still, if Criterion wanted to release good Swedish films they would just hurry the fuck up and release anything by Bo Widerberg.

Top Bottom