• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure if this is thread worthy, but... any thoughts on VHS rot? It appears to finally be affecting some of my OLD VHSes that I never updated, the tape appears to be turning white.

SeanC

Criterions November releases are pretty on point, Le Samourai new transfer alone gets me worked up.

Just bought the damn DVD a few months back too, should have just been patient but wanted to see it again.

omgkitty

LE SAMOURAI

giphy.webp

SeanC

Some of that box art is the best I've seen from Criterion.

Le Samourai, though...c'mon we were overdue for some awesome new art.

SeanC

Oh wow. Never thought I'd see the day. (pls don't fuck it up Cri)

and that Jabberwocky cover is amazing.

Seriously, I don't usually buy a blu ray for the art, but I'm totally buying that for the art.

Plus I've never seen it, the only Gilliam movie I haven't seen. Wasn't aware of it, TBH. Anyone know of it?

IronRinn

That is an awesome group of release. Cover for Jabberwocky is fantastic.

Seriously, I don't usually buy a blu ray for the art, but I'm totally buying that for the art.

Plus I've never seen it, the only Gilliam movie I haven't seen. Wasn't aware of it, TBH. Anyone know of it?
It's not great but you can see the direction his solo work will take. Just glad to replace my VHS copy.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow time!

UK Only:
XIWcgRz.jpg
SMLV5iO.jpg
ZIPUNjC.jpg

(The Thing previously released in fancier edition)

UK & US:
4l9T3bU.jpg
RMiqJld.png

l63dvdX.jpg

Well, Arrow seems committed to making sure that Seijun Suzuki's legacy is well looked after. How very nice of them.

omgkitty

Well, Arrow seems committed to making sure that Seijun Suzuki's legacy is well looked after. How very nice of them.

Too bad they couldn't grace us with some good cover art for him. Seriously dislike how boring the artists they pick for some of these are. Technically the illustrations are good, but the layouts are awful. "IDK, just throw some faces on there!"

It's always a good day when we get more Suzuki!

I know it's hardly the first time, but seeing Warner giving up what was formerly a prestige title is a reminder as to just how dead the home video market actually is.

Credo

It also enabled mine because I had been thinking about a region-free player for a while but had never sought out recommendations. And I hardly ever look in this thread!

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of reasons to go region free, Arrow Academy November releases:

UK only:
u4fE6ls.png
VGbM47i.jpg

wnDuFrY.png

UK & US:
fSgPWRS.jpg

I need that noir box set in my life.

Decided to give Filmstruck a shot and I'm kind of stunned it doesn't keep your space in your movie? At least on mobile?

I know Criterion provides exposure to older movies, but there's no need to restore older technology too.

omgkitty

dumb q but are modern criterion discs 4k? as in, i can only play them on my xbox one s/x ?

Nope. Criterion has not released any 4K blu-ray discs.

Decided to give Filmstruck a shot and I'm kind of stunned it doesn't keep your space in your movie? At least on mobile?

I know Criterion provides exposure to older movies, but there's no need to restore older technology too.

Filmstruck is kind of a shit show, mainly because they decided to go with Flash. Thankfully with the announcement of the death of Flash, they should hopefully be forced to transition to the present, and not 2010.

Fhtagn

The media player in FilmStruck on iOS is garbage, always jumping around the millisecond you accidentally touch the timeline, BUT, it will save your spot if you close out the movie manually.

swoon

it doesn't save your space on the desktop either. it also has pretty bad queue/history things.

but the programming is great, so whatever.

I think if you pause then leave the website it saves your spot on desktop. I recently had to leave halfway through a movie, came back about a day later and it played from where I left it.

I hope they implement more ways to browse the catalog, like being able to view by country without just searching "Soviet" or whatever would be nice.

Ridley327

Synapse Films' Blu-ray for Suspiria now available to pre-order!

•Limited edition of only 6000 units produced
•Exclusive Steelbook packaging and collector's o-card sleeve, featuring artwork from Malleus, Van Orton Design, Juan José Saldarriaga & Chris MacGibbon
•Three disc [Two Blu-rays + One CD] limited collector’s edition (only 6000 units) containing a new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli
•Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96 Khz/24-bit audio
•Italian 5.1 surround sound mix
•Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle & Troy Howarth
•Do You Know Anything About Witches? - 30 minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
•Suzy in Nazi Germany – Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
•A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA – All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
•Olga’s Story – Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
•Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
•Special Collector Edition Booklet containing an American Cinematographer interview with Luciano Tovoli, liner notes by Derek Botelho and restoration notes by Vincent Pereira & Don May, Jr. Cover artwork by Matthew Therrien Illustration
•“International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from U.S. release version
•Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
•Newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles for the English language version
•Newly translated, removable English subtitles for the Italian language version
•Exclusive CD remaster of Goblin’s SUSPIRIA motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1977 soundtrack release

Can't post the images of the packaging, but it's all looking so, so nice.

omgkitty

berzeli

Banned
I've never understood Eureka. They release these classic films from all over the world, and then their modern stuff is mostly shitty Asian films?
You're forgetting about their output of old BBC shows which only appeals to those who watched them growing up!

But it's not really fair to say they only put out Asian crap, they've also released The Olive Tree, Aloys, John Dies at the End, and of course The Human Centipede trilogy.
And Sion Sono isn't garbage as much as he is, like Takashi Miike, an acquired taste.
tumblr_mis996Gzwu1r7w10go1_250.gif

tumblr_m6k0zv8m6w1qekp2po1_400.gif

wmmxdO6.gif

A really, really acquired taste.
(also be glad I went with the SFW gifs)

berzeli

Banned
Jesus Christ Studiocanal, you're making me broke.
Then again I should maybe count myself lucky because I very nearly bought the old version of all of these. And I would have had to double dip because these have: new restorations, extras, and absolutely gorgeous covers.

berzeli

Banned
Fuck me. I bought the old set recently.
Thanks for taking this one for the team.
Oh well, it was dirt cheap and I'm really interesed in two of these.
The Poirot ones are pretty damn good. The ensemble is just insane in all three, I mean Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, and Anthony Perkins (and that's just for Murder...).

The Miss Marple one is ... fine. I just want a box set of the Margaret Rutherford ones from the 60s, they're amazing (and the music, man the music).

Yeah, the 2 Ustinovs for me.

Orient Express is one of the most boring films I have ever seen (twice). Never again.

(Never watched the Rutherford ones, interesting).

berzeli

Banned
Yeah, the 2 Ustinovs for me.

Orient Express is one of the most boring films I have ever seen (twice). Never again.

(Never seen the Rutherford ones, interesting).
Wish someone would release the TV films + I think Warner did a theatrical one lol I googled it and it was the damned Cannon Group who did the final theatrical one. And it's directed by the Death Wish dude nvm.

Murder... is a bit of a drag no matter who does it because of the source material, but that twist is so good. Will be fun to see what Branagh does with it.

They are stupid, fluffy, frivolous pieces of entertainment which Christie herself hated. However I still love them, and Rutherford is just incredible

Top Bottom