• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The culture of recording strangers in bad moments and posting them on social media is gross

Nester99

It's not the act of broadcasting it in itself that causes harm, there's the reaction to it that stems from the tendency of people today for getting their rocks off at wanting to destroy everyone and everything.

The ramifications of posting that video has to be factored into the decision to do so. It can't just be looked at in the vacuum of "someone was an asshole and I recorded them being one!" It's person is an asshole for a moment and now has their lives ruined.

Most of the time it's momentary lapses in judgement. We're speaking very generally here using the term "asshole" as my definition might be different from yours.

come on man, being embarrassed is rarely going to “ruin your life”

don’t let exaggeration ruin a good thread

It's not as black and white as 'don't be an arsehole', though that is sound advice.

The problem is context. I could tell my friend a joke, play a character or put on an accent. If the wrong person/people see it, then they can take that out of context. That's where the issue is.

A ham-fisted example would be quoting rap lyrics or Blazing Saddles. The sheriff is a N.... The sheriff is near?

Should I or anyone have their life ruined by singing a song or quoting a film?

Imo, and I've said this before multiple times, the Internet is all the horrors of communism combined, or at least, the mechanism and foundation is there

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
In many cases with the internet, and social media, you’re right: the punishment doesn’t always fit the crime. Someone having a bad day and just throwing a fit shouldn’t be a “social death sentence.” But, if someone harasses someone, especially if it’s physical, to me that’s on them. If they get recorded doing something like that, threatening someone, anything like that, that’s on you.

I’ve never screamed at someone in public. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic expectation.

Cases of people going way overboard trying to sic the cops on someone for no valid reason, I mean, that’s a dick move. That’s on them.

I don’t disagree with you though, especially about constant ridicule going way too far, and as far as death threats go, that’s just never appropriate.

However, I can’t help but be curious, did you stand up for the person who lost their shit in GameStop a little while back?

I don’t remember this individual garnering much sympathy.

If that person lost their job and or received harassment or death threats, I absolutely would stand up for them.

I stood up for that Deer Girl just the other day. I said in the thread about her in the gaming section that yeah she's crazy and if she admits publicly she is going to abuse her power then she shouldn't be a Twitch moderator, but I said all this global trashing her is wrong. That person didn't even do anything to hurt anyone(yet) and is the laughingstock of the internet and I don't think that's right either. Now, that doesn't mean I agree with her, I think her comment about gamers all being white supremacists is faux woke bullshit, but still, I do feel bad that now the entire internet is just mocking her mercilessly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s so weird that you think this is about racism.

must suck to live with racism in your head all day long.

You think she would feel as hyperbolically threatened if a white man was asking her to leash her dog?

Do you also think she would instantly think that the police would be on her side?

These are things we will never get the answer to, since it's hypothetical. But one of the top possibilities is that she's at least partially racist. It's not even slightly illogical to suggest it. It will never be proven but her actions don't look great.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
come on man, being embarrassed is rarely going to “ruin your life”

don’t let exaggeration ruin a good thread
I don't think it's exaggeration at all. Social media is a vile place. Someone at a store says something mean to someone. Video has millions of views. Someone posts their address online or posts their name. People find their social media accounts, hound them with harassing and threatening messages. For the average person that shit wears on you, man. Similar things have driven people to suicide. We just lost a 22 year old girl this past week over social media bullying. All these videos leaking online do is encourage bullying.

We need to just let people be, unless they're doing something truly vile or committing a crime. Not that it will ever happen, the cat is out of the bag on this whole thing now, but people can't just "be" anymore without it potentially coming back as a massive shit storm.

JordanN

Banned
Low tier shit post from you. Are you driving or something? Usually you at least explain yourself.

You act like no one has been shot by the police when they show up to a situation they are told is violent. That's literally the only reason people die from Swatting. Because it happens sometimes. All this guy had to do is encounter cops told this man is violent, and he maybe reaches in his pocket to get his phone to show them the video, and one cop has bad training and is trigger happy. It's not illogical in any way.
If you're telling police that someone is a threat, it has consequences. It puts the accused person in potential danger.
Police: Don't reach into your pocket.
Guy: I'm going to reach into my pocket anyway.

Police: :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Nester99

This post is true at the same time that everything I said is true. Nothing in it contradicts each other.

I said it's possible he could have been killed, and it is. Killed from her lie.

You're arguing the probability of that is low. And it is, but it's not zero.

OP is not about racism.
Just because you posted on incident that includes racism does not mean that is what this topic is about.

Nester99

I don't think it's exaggeration at all. Social media is a vile place. Someone at a store says something mean to someone. Video has millions of views. Someone posts their address online or posts their name. People find their social media accounts, hound them with harassing and threatening messages. For the average person that shit wears on you, man. Similar things have driven people to suicide. We just lost a 22 year old girl this past week over social media bullying. All these videos leaking online do is encourage bullying.

We need to just let people be, unless they're doing something truly vile or committing a crime. Not that it will ever happen, the cat is out of the bag on this whole thing now, but people can't just "be" anymore without it potentially coming back as a massive shit storm.

SO when you make a topic of your neighbors car and post pictures of it on social media (this website) you have ruined your neighbors life?
Of course not.

There are degrees of everything.

Even getting fired does not "ruin a life" sure its a set back.

I agree with your main points, Everyone needs to calm down and treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
OP is not about racism.
Just because you posted on incident that includes racism does not mean that is what this topic is about.
Though I wasn’t referring to any racist incidents specifically, there certainly are racists and bigots out there and on occasion they will be recorded doing racist or bigoted things.

However, in today’s culture where a large contingent of people think everything is racist or bigotry, now more than ever someone may do something that is perceived as racist when it isn’t. And I’m not talking about that Central Park girl, I’m talking about people getting railroaded on social media for accidentally misgendering someone because they didn’t read their fucking bio that demands they call them by their pronouns. Now imagine that happening in real life, and someone recording it and posting it on Facebook or twitter with the caption “asshole purposely misgenders a transgender person” and they will be viewed as an asshole.

So on my OP the sad thing is it doesn’t even have to be someone being an asshole. It can be someone being totally normal, but it being perceived as them being an asshole because the people posting the video or propagating it are the disingenuous assholes themselves.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
SO when you make a topic of your neighbors car and post pictures of it on social media (this website) you have ruined your neighbors life?
Of course not.

There are degrees of everything.

Even getting fired does not "ruin a life" sure its a set back.

I agree with your main points, Everyone needs to calm down and treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

I don’t think my neighbor thread is even remotely the same. I never called for actions toward my neighbor, in fact dozens of people recommended action and I said I’m against it. I never posted his name or address, and I posted one photo that is blurry of him from far away. And its contained within a thread, on a community that while its a good sized community, it’s not twitter or Facebook with hundreds of millions of users that can share something with the click of a button and it spread like wildfire.

Regardless, ruining life may have been hyperbole, but to some people it could severely damage their lives. Lose jobs, lose social status, lose friends. It’s still really awful and way too severe for momentary things.

I_D

I agree with the overall point of the OP. Context is everything. It would be very easy to assume the worst about a person, and also very easy for armchair-warriors to ruin that person's life.
I do wonder how often it happens, though; in terms of people being ruined who didn't actually deserve ridicule.

I don't really seek out those types of videos, and I tend to avoid social-media. Of the videos I have seen, though, it generally seems pretty justified to lambaste that person.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Actually, to take my neighbor situation a step further. After years of putting up with his shit, I posted that several weeks ago he was out there revving his engine at 3 in the morning and I finally had enough and yelled out the window for him to STFU or I'm gonna come out there with a baseball bat. In that thread I said he has been telling the landlord that I have been harassing him and not the other way around.

Now imagine him doing that and recording me saying that and him posting online "my racist neighbor threatens me with a bat for just starting my car" or something like that.

It would get millions of views and I would be viewed as the bully and aggressor.

bender

What time is it?
I'm mostly against mob justice but then you see incidents like the central park dog lady and I'm okay with her being exposed and karma being served swiftly.

the way I see it, it's no different than the way things are before. back in the days you're mostly in your own hood and any foolishness you do gets spread around since everyone knows everyone, so you behave like a decent human being for fear of getting call out by others. now a day's you can go to more places and do more things than before. but even thou you don't know any of the people you run into, since everyone have a smart phone, you WILL be expose to even more people in the public if you fuck up, so you should be on your best behavior just as the old days. nothing's changed.

belmarduk

I agree with your sentiment but the lady in Central Park whom self-admittedly leveraged her privilege against that black dude, threatening him what she knows to be a disproportional response from the NYPD on innocent black men is fucked up on a whole new level -- It's Emmit till all over again. This is important

I agree that Central Park lady was a disgusting racist animal abuser... but I don’t think it’s comparable to Emmit Till. That was one of the most horrific crimes in US history.

Mistake

Most recordings I see of the stuff you’re talking about isn’t “a bad day” it’s straight up ignorance and self imposed privilege. They usually don’t learn from the consequences of their actions until they get a hard slap in the face

I feel like if people weren't discovered being racist this topic would not have been made.

You guys don't have a problem with blue haired liberals being put on blast in the same way.

You don't have a problem with screeching "get the manager" entitled white women because we always see their annoying asses in stores.

It's just that those incidents don't result in job losses as much (but sometimes they do have those results) compared to racism.

Last edited:
Poors cops, they were probably just having a bad day, they don't deserve to lose their jobs after murdering... I mean, accidentally killing that man. He was probably on drugs anyway so he deserved it.

GAF in a nutshell, 2020.

lukilladog

Poors cops, they were probably just having a bad day, they don't deserve to lose their jobs after murdering... I mean, accidentally killing that man. He was probably on drugs anyway so he deserved it.

GAF in a nutshell, 2020.

but, but, people need the right to have a bad day and not be shared in social media.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I really don't think this is a sound argument. That's like word coming out that states will now be invoking the death penalty on petty theft crimes and responding "maybe don't steal a pack of gum, then?"

The punishment does not fit the crime. Losing your temper like a human being in public should not subjugate one to death threats, endless ridicule, harassment, and loss of employment.

We are trying to set unrealistic standards. In fact, I think this kinda stuff propagates it. People are all tense now and under way more stress than they can't leave the house without being monitored by someone.
If it’s just a bad day with a little attitude, no one would care. It wouldn’t get views and would go on the internet barely noticed. When you act like a complete piece of shit, expect the internet to blow it up.

TDiddyLive

If you're talking about the lady in central park that was on her for being a racist asshole. Using the police as a weapon threatening to call the police after he politely asked her to leash her poor dog.
I only saw the clip posted later in this thread, but where is the racism? Unless there is more then that clip I don’t know about, it looks like she is just a dumb bitch that overreacted to being told to put her dog on a leash and should face some kind of charges for making a false 911 call.

TaySan

Banned
I only saw the clip posted later in this thread, but where is the racism? Unless there is more then that clip I don’t know about, it looks like she is just a dumb bitch that overreacted to being told to put her dog on a leash and should face some kind of charges for making a false 911 call.
Lets be real here would she have called the police on him if he was white? And knowing the NYPD that is practically a death sentence.

TDiddyLive

Lets be real here would she have called the police on him if he was white? And knowing the NYPD that is practically a death sentence.
We don’t know what the reaction would have been toward anybody else. You feeling that is you projecting racism into the situation. Practically a death sentence? Nobody got arrested, let alone hurt or killed. Get out of here with that shit.

Neil Young

So, I'm sure it's been mentioned, you all know what the guy said to her right? Supposedly he told her that he was going to do what he was going to do and she wouldn't like it. He called her dog over to him and she panicked. He posted this on his Facebook. And he thought what he posted sounded fine. I wonder what he REALLY said?

They are both shit but ALWAYS be wary of the recording provided by the person filming. They leave out a little bit. If someone threatened my dog...man, I tell you what. Granted, I wouldn't use racist terms but shit would get nasty.

TDiddyLive

So, I'm sure it's been mentioned, you all know what the guy said to her right? Supposedly he told her that he was going to do what he was going to do and she wouldn't like it. He called her dog over to him and she panicked. He posted this on his Facebook. And he thought what he posted sounded fine. I wonder what he REALLY said?

They are both shit but ALWAYS be wary of the recording provided by the person filming. They leave out a little bit. If someone threatened my dog...man, I tell you what. Granted, I wouldn't use racist terms but shit would get nasty.
Damn. Didn’t know that. Thanks. Kind of adjusts my earlier comments about how she acted.

Mato

After I watched the clip I was puzzled with her apparent emotional distress and lack of sound judgement. If what you say is true then it would help explain things.

Whitesnake

Banned
Every single person on the planet has an asshole moment. Multiple moments, actually. If you think that is worthy of global ridicule, I think that's absurd, man.

I get what you’re trying to say, but I can’t say I’ve ever had a public meltdown, and certainly not an aggressive one. Have you?

Like, if you unreasonably flip your shit on people who haven’t wronged you (or, at worst, slightly inconvenienced you) then that is a noteworthy act, and it is an act that is absolutely worthy of ridicule and mockery.

I can think of a great many situations where the person got exactly what they deserved, and very few where the response was over the line.

Also something to consider is that people in these situations aren’t apologetic until they realize their actions will have tangible consequences. I feel no need to entertain crocodile tears.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I get what you’re trying to say, but I can’t say I’ve ever had a public meltdown, and certainly not an aggressive one. Have you?

Like, if you unreasonably flip your shit on people who haven’t wronged you (or, at worst, slightly inconvenienced you) then that is a noteworthy act, and it is an act that is absolutely worthy of ridicule and mockery.

I can think of a great many situations where the person got exactly what they deserved, and very few where the response was over the line.

Also something to consider is that people in these situations aren’t apologetic until they realize their actions will have tangible consequences. I feel no need to entertain crocodile tears.
If someone goes psycho on someone who hasn't really done anything wrong to them, it is worthy of ridicule and mockery. On a local scale. The people in the immediate area. Not the entire planet learning about it and coming down on them.

I'm sorry, but I think the existence of social media magnifies the punishment to always be waaaaaay more than the "crime."

If you flip on someone in public, without mobile devices and phones, the people in your immediate surroundings will be like get lost dude, you fucking loser, get the fuck outta here, etc. Maybe one of them will shove you or maybe even punch you depending on how nasty you got. The local reactions are warranted and suitable enough.

Someone being a dick doesn't deserve the whole country coming down on them though. It's very very different. I just can't get on board with that.

And a lot of times the person wasn't being that belligerent. They are just ranting like weirdos.

Neil Young

After I watched the clip I was puzzled with her apparent emotional distress and lack of sound judgement. If what you say is true then it would help explain things.
Me too. I first saw the clip on Barstool. They were saying how both people were assholes but the lady was much worse as she seemed unhinged. I thought she was a psycho for sure.

I then watched Viva Frei's video about this, I suggest everyone watch this guy, and he thought there must be more to it and, not shocking, there was. Just strange behavior from both people.

It's so tiring to have to dissect every piece of news or media to get to the speck of truth.

No, this thread isn't about that video in particular. It was actually more about some middle aged woman in some store freaking out about something I saw last week and everyone was laughing and mocking the woman. I don't even remember what the woman was freaking out about.

Regardless, I think it's extremely dangerous culture territory we are stepping into with everyone being "exposed" in their worst moments. There may be situations where it works for good, but overall I find it a major net negative. Not to mention a lot of these videos can be(and have been) recorded or edited out of context. For example, a verbal spat between two people and the person recording cuts out the things they say and only include the stuff the other person says. Then post it online, say something like "this person verbally attacked me for no reason" and boom their life is ruined.
Sounds like they got exposed

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I feel like if people weren't discovered being racist this topic would not have been made.

You guys don't have a problem with blue haired liberals being put on blast in the same way.

You don't have a problem with screeching "get the manager" entitled white women because we always see their annoying asses in stores.

It's just that those incidents don't result in job losses as much (but sometimes they do have those results) compared to racism.
Women who feel they’re beyond reproach are running rampant against everyone in the US, not just certain races. All you have to do is take a drive in a crowded, liberal dominated area for a while and you can see this. Who is going to tailgate you? Going to be some dumb bitch 9 out of 10 times. Doesn’t matter what your race is or what hers is.

GymWolf

Everyone's a walking camera.
OP trying to escape the inevitable
latest

What kind of creepy cunt weirdo walks around with a pocket full of dog treats in order to entice complete strangers' dogs to him to do something the owner "isn't gonna' like"?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Unpopular opinion: people have been doing terrible shit to other people and being ignorant dumbfucks since time immemorial. History records the wars and genocides, but with today's technology the every day shittery is becoming public record as well.

We're getting a sobering view on just how fucked society is, and nobody likes what they see.

Top Bottom