• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Current List of Best Selling VR Headsets of All Time Thread [Updated]

This thread will list the best selling VR headsets of all time since this generation of headsets of consumer VR begun back in 2015 until current.. Will be updates as more numbers are discovered/leaked/revealed. Here are the recent results,

1. Oculus Quest 2 - ~17-18 million headsets sold
  2. Google Cardboard - over 15 million headsets sold (as 2019)
  3. Samsung Gear VR - 7.8 million headsets sold (as of 2019)
  4. PlayStation VR - over 5 million headsets sold (as of jan 2020)
  5. Google Daydream - 2.35 million headsets sold (As of 2017)
  6. Oculus Go - 2 million headsets sold (as of 2019)
  7. Oculus Quest 1 - ~2 million headsets sold
  8. Oculus Rift (family) 1.5 million headsets sold (as of 2019)
  9. Nintendo Labo - 1.42 million headsets sold (variety pack 1 reported only, as of 2022)
  10. HTC (family) - 1.3 million headsets sold (as of 2019)
  11. TCL(1) (2) (Made Alcatel VR) - >197,000 headsets sold (As of after Q1 2017)
  12. Valve Index - 149,000 headsets sold (As of Jan 2020)
  13. Hololens - 50,000 headsets sold (as of 2018)

meta-quest-cm-lead.jpg
google-cardboard.JPG
Samsung-Gear-VR-Headset.jpg
PlayStationVR.jpg
new-daydream-view-980x588.jpg
oculus-go.jpg
879cdc_3471f2192f174b9295440cd57679d712~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg
0-e078300ec6e1face.avif
images
dims
alcatelvision01.jpg.cf.webp
trtkoegydq8ntxbe_1632923152.jpeg
verge-2016-03-29_12-55-39.0.jpg

By the end of this year 2023, there will be about 8-12 more headsets to add here (depending on if we get any first year/quarter numbers for them) that will shortly come out.

Looking at the data, Quest 2 a second wave headset from the current generation of VR, is leading the pack though many headsets ended up dying right as the Quest 1 was taking off, many of those sales (that didn't leave VR entirely) and new ones, when to the Quest 2 and allowed it to become the new number 1. Although it has similar retention issues as the previous reigning champ, Google Cardboard (though users of course stay longer on Quest 2 than cardboard, it's still too short, and it makes me wonder how bad it is for other headsets outside hardcore users.) Quest 2 is still selling well even with slowing sales going into the third-wave of handsets.

Second is of course, Google Cardboard, which was the first novel experience on the cheap (by the end the price was $20 or less as they were discontinuing it) for many consumers, and also what burned a large amount of people off of it, was the first "casual appealing" headset with a cheap price and able to use their phone for a then entry-level and interesting VR experience back in then when VR was a new exciting thing and if executed right you could get the attention of people for a few months just for the experience regardless of how shallow the content or VR itself was. Google attempted to try and replace Google Cardboard with a more expensive, powerful mobile VR solution, even was $79 at launch with 3 colors, but did not meet their expectations and killed it.

Third is of course Samsung Gear VR, which was the king of VR content for a time until the plug was pulled. For low price of $129, to $99, and then later $70, to $49.99, you had 4 iteration of the best mobileVR coould offer, compatible with the most popular in quantity smartphone brand which allow for 3 generations of compatibility that was simple to use and set up. With VR ready media, games, and other. Samsung considered proper VR as Cardboard was excluded from many sales trackers was the reigning champion, but as MobileVR died Oculus Quest and PSVR started to carry the torch. With standalone being proffered or tethered to a powerful device, instead of looking at phone compatibility lists for the best experience on each headset.

Following is PlayStation VR which barely 2 weeks ago launched their wave 3 headset. It mostly sold within it's first years on the market and slowed down 2018 onward, but Sony announced 5 million sales on Jan 2020. We haven't gotten any updated on hardware (and ever on software numerically) since, it was the first gaming console VR since the 80's, and helped sell some PS4 slims, which launched around the same time period as the VR headset. Well reviewed by critics (outside set-up) using the ex-popular PlayStation move as game controllers, which for many users was an easy transition since 15 million of them were sold pre-VR, giving people a reason to take move wands out of storage.

Rounding out the top 5 is Google Daydream. Google attempting to capitalize on cardboard with a low content poorly supported and executed Daydream to knock Samsung and Sony out the market, the headset was very front-loaded at a cheap price starting at $79, but receiving price cuts within the month (iirc it was two weeks) to push more units. The losses and lack of further adoption after a few months had Google start to pull back, and eventually after not meeting expectations and seeing no way to further move Daydream, they killed the handset and had left the VR market entirely since.

Shoutout to TCL for their crazy looking early standalone VR headset. TCL and Samsung will be jumping back into the VR Market, this year in 2023.

The VR Market is still waiting for that big breakout for market-wide growth as well as multiple big hardware moving software whether that's games, social or others. However, starting this year we have already seen 2 new headsets release (PSVR2 and Pancake1) with many more to come that's been announced or not. To move hardware they will have to bring their differentiators compared to competitors, so I'm hoping in 2023, we finally see that killer software finally come out and put VR on the map instead of a gimmick, with a high retention rate. It will be an exciting year.

I've noticed looking back at this list, that all the top headsets had similar content in terms of depth. Sure, one could say Oculus having some involvement or all) with 5 of the headsets on this list, 2 in the top 5, may have some blame for that. But also when you look at what people were using on these headsets at the peak of their popularity it was very similar software, very similar shallow execution of media or other apps outside of gaming, and the "demo" feel was across the board, while that was on the other headsets, they also had better experiences overall in terms of content and depth compared to the biggest handsets so far.

We need a company or companies to set a new standard for the minimum experience in VR this year, and then we may see a few headset with over 5 million sales per cycle or more. We need to prevent burnout because some consumers will not come back to VR because of that outside a massive shift, if ever. I imagine many of those Cardboard users have written VR off, because looking at the timeline, and even the Quest 2 consolidation the last couple years, several of those users (who also spread to other MobileVR they were selling in stores for some brands people don't even remember) of Google Cardboard don't appear to have ever come back to VR, because that would add more sales to where VR is currently.

Anyway, big year in VR for 2023, this year is seen as a turning point and make or break moment.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I wonder if that's still accurate for the Index; seems remarkably low, even though it's a very expensive high-end set.

Some may scoff at including Cardboard but it was a milestone for VR breaking into public perception, all the way back in 2014. I was given one for free at a tech conference, and for the next 6 months I always brought it out when seeing extended family. For every single person I showed, it was an awe inspiring experience, because none of them had tried any kind of virtual reality headset before whatsoever. The sense of depth and distance was not what anyone expected before trying it.

We need more low end experiments with VR like that from time to time, instead of just super high-end sets that few can afford. The Labo VR for switch is another fun one... we built the kit and had a blast with the in-VR game creation tools.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I wonder if that's still accurate for the Index; seems remarkably low, even though it's a very expensive high-end set.

Some may scoff at including Cardboard but it was a milestone for VR breaking into public perception, all the way back in 2014. I was given one for free at a tech conference, and for the next 6 months I always brought it out when seeing extended family. For every single person I showed, it was an awe inspiring experience, because none of them had tried any kind of virtual reality headset before whatsoever. The sense of depth and distance was not what anyone expected before trying it.

We need more low end experiments with VR like that from time to time, instead of just super high-end sets that few can afford. The Labo VR for switch is another fun one... we built the kit and had a blast with the in-VR game creation tools.

It’s 1 year, with a peak in Q4 2019 when Alyx released.

That’s it, OP doesn’t have anything else. It’s basically “we don’t know” thread. Nobody has the data for nearly all headsets except tidbits of news here and there.

It’s 1 year, with a peak in Q4 2019 when Alyx released.

That’s it, OP doesn’t have anything else. It’s basically “we don’t know” thread. Nobody has the data for nearly all headsets except tidbits of news here and there.

Index hasn't been on tracker reports as is because it's sales are too low.

The biggest bump Index got was when Alyx was announced, not when it came out because Valve didn't produce enough units which caused off an on shortages, and they never over produced, likely because they wanted more profits. It's been a niche selling headset since. There's a counterpoint data saying it's at 600k but it doesn't link with other data and isn't reliable.

Also, Alyx did not release at anytime in 2019, it launched in March 2020.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Index hasn't been on tracker reports as is because it's sales are too low.

The biggest bump Index got was when Alyx was announced, not when it came out because Valve didn't produce enough units which caused off an on shortages, and they never over produced, likely because they wanted more profits. It's been a niche selling headset since. There's a counterpoint data saying it's at 600k but it doesn't link with other data and isn't reliable.

Also, Alyx did not release at anytime in 2019, it launched in March 2020.

It cannot maintain 15-17% market share on Steam survey if Quest 2 in the meantime sold 20 millions. I'm not saying there's 20M Quest 2 headsets on steam, but clearly, a gigantic number of Quest 2 headsets took the hardware by storm. Yet in those 2.5 years since Quest 2 released, Index is keeping 15-17%.

We already talked about this. If it stagnated at 149k units, it would have dropped like a brick like the HTC headsets did.

Crayon

Might as well focus just on Quest 2 and maybe PSVR at this point and ignore the rest if you’re a VR dev.

Steam VR backend pretty much covers all the other ones.

With no positional tracking, those cell phone enclosure ones are kinda iffy to count as 'headsets", bit still good for context.

It cannot maintain 15-17% market share on Steam survey if Quest 2 in the meantime sold 20 millions. I'm not saying there's 20M Quest 2 headsets on steam, but clearly, a gigantic number of Quest 2 headsets took the hardware by storm. Yet in those 2.5 years since Quest 2 released, Index is keeping 15-17%.

The issue is you believe other headsets like HTC are selling substantially more units than they are and not realizing how big the gap is on Steam charts between Quest 2 and Index in units. Don't forget Two long dead OTHER oculus headsets are also near the top of the chart.

Index selling thousands, is likely already higher than what HTC is selling on Steam VR>

The last total of VR from the last steam VR chart was iirc less than 4 million users which isn't much more than many months ago, so it's more likely Index is just selling more, while HTC is selling much less, and again, want to point out the dead Oculus headsets that are also still topping SteamVR charts that people keep forgetting about. It's clear not that many people are buying that.

Pico has been rising 4 months in a row on SteamVR and it hasn't even launched globally yet which is supposed to happen sometime this year, so just domestic sales connected to Steam, which only recently announced reached 1 million sales across ALL brands in china, is the Pico 4 now over 1% of Stem VR climbing from the bottom with the biggest growth.

So based on those numbers, Pico has to also be selling a low amount of headsets, and as more Pico connects to steam, the percentage keeps going up because they pass other headsets low sales.

bbddb971e3f44c1da7b3b6e9a74f0e8d.jpeg

Pico 4 is literally right under the Vibe Pro for user percentage, in one region with a balanced but low adoption in VR so far ONLY. Also notice that the Rift S is third place.

Let's be frank here, if you think the Rift S has been selling hundreds of thousands of headsets since 2019 Index launch, pay me $500,000 and I'll sell you photo evidence of bigfoot, no refunds.

We all know that's not the case. If Index is not even 6% of Rift S in active user percentage, then if you believe that Index has signficant sales since that 149, than so would the Rift S, and that's just not possible.

Rift S was discontinued in April 2021. Almost two years ago. This makes this belief Index being second is a sign of unit sales invalid. Rift S and Pico 4 both show how low most of the headsets on this chart are outside the Quest 2.

In fact, found this here from feb 2021, 2 months before Rift S discontinuation.

78089_01_oculus-quest-2-is-now-the-most-popular-vr-headset-on-steam.png

Almost all the top players back then are down from where the were back then now, except the Quest 2. Some significantly. Before this report in Feb 2021, Rift S was the biggest platform on SteamVR. Which again goes to show how low the headset sales must be now.

The final nail on the coffin is the bottom of this image. Notice that the bottom says steam users with VR, 2.21%?

The recent one from the thread I made now for just last month, the first pic I posted, it says steam users with VR, 2.07%.

So Steam actually had a DECLINE in the amount of users who use SteamVR NOW than in Feb 2021 2 years ago. With many of the headsets including Rift S(discontinued April 2021 2 months after the second pic), HTC headsets, Pimax, PSVR, and Index all DOWN since then along with all of SteamVR.

But Quest 2 doubled it's percentage since Feb 2021.

The headset sales below Quest 2 all are low and get worse the lower you go down the list.

If anything, SteamVR is slowly dying. Although with all the PC compatible headsets releasing this year we should see that prevented.

Last edited:
Where is the Vr of Nintendo switch?

Ah yes, I had the tab too forgot about it. 1.42 million units for pack 1, seems they never gave numbers for the others.

With no positional tracking, those cell phone enclosure ones are kinda iffy to count as 'headsets",

Uh, headsets are headsets. VR headsets are devices you put on your head. Old HMD's for PC didn't have positional tracking either they are still headsets. You could argue MobileVR was lacking what stronger tethered and later standalone VR offered, but that was also very early.

Last edited:

Crayon

Uh, headsets are headsets. VR headsets are devices you put on your head. Old HMD's for PC didn't have positional tracking either they are still headsets. You could argue MobileVR was lacking what stronger tethered and later standalone VR offered, but that was also very early.

That's true you could buy some pretty serious headsets with no positional.

Well in that case, you forgot Labo.

Justin9mm

low end experiences is why VR is still lagging in content. We need less of that and more investment into AAA VR, you get the hype from that and one good experience for someone who has not tried and they will get on board and will propel VR tech. We need more stuff like Half Life Alyx and less shit like fuckin job simulator and Beat Saber etc. With the adoption rate of the PS5 already, I predict the PSVR2 will eventually propel VR if they keep making AAA content. When the price drops on the PSVR2 headset and more people adopt it, we will see the VR space and hype grow astronomically.

Last edited:

Crayon

low end experiences is why VR is still lagging in content. We need less of that and more investment into AAA VR, you get the hype from that and one good experience for someone who has not tried and they will get on board and will propel VR tech. We need more stuff like Half Life Alyx and less shit like fuckin job simulator and Beat Saber etc. With the adoption rate of the PS5 already, I predict the PSVR2 will eventually propel VR if they keep making AAA content. When the price drops on the PSVR2 headset and more people adopt it, we will see the VR space and hype grow astronomically.

There a gap between AAA and beat saber. More aaa is fine, but I'd like to see more mid-tier games than fewer aaa games given the same resources to go around. I think that would be a good match for the technology and the market right now.

Buggy Loop

The issue is you believe other headsets like HTC are selling substantially more units than they are and not realizing how big the gap is on Steam charts between Quest 2 and Index in units. Don't forget Two long dead OTHER oculus headsets are also near the top of the chart.

Right, peoples didn't throw away their older headsets right away, shocking data.

Index selling thousands, is likely already higher than what HTC is selling on Steam VR>

The last total of VR from the last steam VR chart was iirc less than 4 million users which isn't much more than many months ago, so it's more likely Index is just selling more, while HTC is selling much less, and again, want to point out the dead Oculus headsets that are also still topping SteamVR charts that people keep forgetting about. It's clear not that many people are buying that.

Pico has been rising 4 months in a row on SteamVR and it hasn't even launched globally yet which is supposed to happen sometime this year, so just domestic sales connected to Steam, which only recently announced reached 1 million sales across ALL brands in china, is the Pico 4 now over 1% of Stem VR climbing from the bottom with the biggest growth.

So based on those numbers, Pico has to also be selling a low amount of headsets, and as more Pico connects to steam, the percentage keeps going up because they pass other headsets low sales.

Pico is sold in Europe too

Let's be frank here, if you think the Rift S has been selling hundreds of thousands of headsets since 2019 Index launch, pay me $500,000 and I'll sell you photo evidence of bigfoot, no refunds.
We all know that's not the case. If Index is not even 6% of Rift S in active user percentage, then if you believe that Index has signficant sales since that 149, than so would the Rift S, and that's just not possible.

Rift S was discontinued in April 2021. Almost two years ago. This makes this belief Index being second is a sign of unit sales invalid. Rift S and Pico 4 both show how low most of the headsets on this chart are outside the Quest 2.

In fact, found this here from feb 2021, 2 months before Rift S discontinuation.

The Big Lebowski Thank You GIF

Proving my point.

DLkgUoh.png

Before Quest 2

Valve Index 15.7%
Oculus Rift S 25.1%
HTC Vive 17.2%
Windows mixed reality 6.7%
Other (all other <1%) 31.8%

12 months after Quest 2
Quest 2 36.3%
Valve Index 16.9%
Oculus Rift S 16.0%
HTC Vive 9.2%
Windows mixed reality 5.6%
Other (all other <1%) 16.0%

At the PEAK of Quest 2 in august 22

Quest 2 49.3%
Valve Index 15.4%
Oculus Rift S 11.0%
HTC Vive 6.5%
Oculus Rift 4.0%
Windows mixed reality 4.4%
Other (all other <1%) 9.4%

All the headsets you mention in that timeframe, Rift S, HTC Vive, countless "others". They all melted from Quest 2 when it sold bonkers

Chocolate Melting GIF

Except Index
To keep steady market place when there's such a disruptive headset entering, it means you sold headsets. Are you starting to understand? If Rift S took such a dive when it was the leader pre-Quest 2, If the index doesn't sell, it would tumble down too. Hell, look at Vive.

Almost all the top players back then are down from where the were back then now, except the Quest 2. Some significantly. Before this report in Feb 2021, Rift S was the biggest platform on SteamVR. Which again goes to show how low the headset sales must be now.

The final nail on the coffin is the bottom of this image. Notice that the bottom says steam users with VR, 2.21%?

The recent one from the thread I made now for just last month, the first pic I posted, it says steam users with VR, 2.07%.

So Steam actually had a DECLINE in the amount of users who use SteamVR NOW than in Feb 2021 2 years ago. With many of the headsets including Rift S(discontinued April 2021 2 months after the second pic), HTC headsets, Pimax, PSVR, and Index all DOWN since then along with all of SteamVR.

2.21% or 2.07%, hell even before 2.07% i saw 1.84%, it's a survey. 2.07% of the peoples surveyed had an headset. You can't pull out numbers out of your ass and pretend you have determined the VR market numbers like you've been trying for the past weeks. It doesn't work like that. Nobody has the real numbers, nobody, not even the devs.

But you know, motherfuckers like Ben Lang founder of Road to VR wouldn't know, Eddie-Griffin does

You're basically ignoring all this after 2019

valve-index-top-selling-steam-13-weeks-1.png

valve-index-top-selling-steam-by-revenue-may-2022-640x373.png

I'm not arguing that it sold MILLIONS to keep up to Quest 2, but your 149k figure you pulled as if its official sales figures is laughable man. You should at least mention something in OP about it, you have 1 year, that's it. Live up to it, update OP saying you have no fucking clue how much it sold.

You really have to slow down on VR threads, you're pulling shit out of thin fucking air with barely any info and you extrapolate from that as if you're the motherfucking NPD.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

april6e

I'm surprised that the VR community is so low on the Reverb G2 especially with how cheap it is compared to even "budget" sets like the Quest 2 or PSVR. It has higher picture quality than the Index with the same incredible audio that the Index has. If it didn't have mediocre controllers/tracking, it would be the best headset by quite a bit. It feels like it's the clear ideal headset for playing single player games and sims and yet it gets no love.

The Oculus Rift S was incredible. Insanely comfortable similar to the PSVR1 and I loved how you could see the room in black and white if you stepped out of the boundary. I wish they made a premium version of that headset with higher resolution and better audio.

Alexios

Banned
Right, peoples didn't throw away their older headsets right away, shocking data.

The Big Lebowski Thank You GIF

Proving my point.

DLkgUoh.png

Before Quest 2

Valve Index 15.7%
Oculus Rift S 25.1%
HTC Vive 17.2%

12 months after Quest 2
Quest 2 36.3%
Valve Index 16.9%
Oculus Rift S 16.0%
HTC Vive 9.2%

Quest 2 49.3%
Valve Index 15.4%
Oculus Rift S 11.0%
HTC Vive 6.5%
Oculus Rift 4.0%

All the headsets you mention in that timeframe, Rift S, HTC Vive, countless "others". They all melted from Quest 2 when it sold bonkers

Chocolate Melting GIF

Except Index
To keep steady market place when there's such a disruptive headset entering, it means you sold headsets. Are you starting to understand? If Rift S took such a dive when it was the leader pre-Quest 2, If the index doesn't sell, it would tumble down too. Hell, look at Vive.

2.21% or 2.07%, hell even before 2.07% i saw 1.84%, it's a survey. 2.07% of the peoples surveyed had an headset. You can't pull out numbers out of your ass and pretend you have determined the VR market numbers like you've been trying for the past weeks. It doesn't work like that. Nobody has the real numbers, nobody, not even the devs.

But you know, motherfuckers like Ben Lang founder of Road to VR wouldn't know, Eddie-Griffin does

You're basically ignoring all this after 2019

valve-index-top-selling-steam-13-weeks-1.png

valve-index-top-selling-steam-by-revenue-may-2022-640x373.png

I'm not arguing that it sold MILLIONS to keep up to Quest 2, but your 149k figure you pulled as if its official sales figures is laughable man. You should at least mention something in OP about it, you have 1 year, that's it. Live up to it, update OP saying you have no fucking clue how much it sold.

You really have to slow down on VR threads, you're pulling shit out of thin fucking air with barely any info and you extrapolate from that as if you're the motherfucking NPD.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF
Same deal in the best selling VR games thread, there's a top # format but he lists data from a month or a year of early access sales or before later/Quest ports, pretends some random indie game needs AAA sales so its thousands or million aren't great and pretends it's all encompassing, legit and up to date like there aren't countless games he has no idea how they really sold, some of which have more user reviews (usually a fraction of sales) than some sales numbers listed (and trying to put down Alyx sales because it was given with Index like people didn't buy it for such games), then stacks it up against his fabricated VR total install base. He even said VR software isn't doing great because Carnival Games didn't do great yet sold a few million on Wii's crazy install base (but similar numbers from other VR games aren't great somehow) even though that IP has been on many platforms since then, including PS4 and Switch, with nowhere near the same success the last 15+ years so obviously it was a fluke riding Wii's coattails rather than some big release anyone rational would have expected better numbers from on any platform, but let's call it a system seller, Carnival Games, woo! He also doubled down calling me out after I corrected his thrice checked "research" was wrong to claim RE7 got a Quest port (it didn't) and that's the only way it could achieve Capcom's reported VR user numbers that he went back to edit out and just call me a troll after (but the OP still says so atm). At least he's gone from posting about random VR headsets only to propose them as viable PSVR2 killers based on some random spec, to putting down all of VR when that didn't pan out, to starting to pretend he's objective or even hopeful about VR's future so that's a bit of a win for logic 🤷‍♂️
Eddie-Griffin said:
These meltdown wall of texts are fun and all, but you have no idea what you're saying and your argument has to take random parts of posts and then remove context to make up what was actually said.

For example this line is 100% fake.
Your walls of text with fake or manipulated information and "opinions" sold as fact are all good but writing a paragraph to debunk it is a meltdown, more great Eddie logic. You're quoted right there in the link saying the exact thing you now claim is 100% fake, the fuck? Get a grip. Here it is again:
Eddie-Griffin said:
If these numbers seem low, which they are, keep in min there was a VR version of minecraft, Wii hit Carnival games, and Myst in VR, among other games you would expect to have sold well and helped headset, but didn't, along with a few hybrid games.
Laughing at calling Carnival Games a hit Wii game for its few million on Wii's install base, ignoring the last 15 years of the IP's nonexistent appeal on any platform just to claim it should sell better in VR in the same thread you put down indie games for selling similar numbers is out of context and a meltdown? You're wrong for Myst too, sure all its versions/remakes since 1993 have sold a lot collectively but the latest remake which wasn't made just for VR but also flat, Xbox, etc. and got the Quest port and so so VR support on PC hardly sold on any platform, how's that VR's fault? Minecraft was only on Gear VR and the Rift store (the least popular, almost abandoned, PC store and a badly rated version). There are probably more users playing VR mods of the game than it sold on the mobile stuff nobody other than your sorry ass would lump in the same category as the likes of PSVR2 🤦

Last edited:

Justin9mm

There a gap between AAA and beat saber. More aaa is fine, but I'd like to see more mid-tier games than fewer aaa games given the same resources to go around. I think that would be a good match for the technology and the market right now.
Good mid-tier games/experiences still need a AA-AAA budget. We are past the indie Wii type VR games, only very capable hardware like PCVR and PSVR2 is going to propel VR. The most popular headset is obviously Quest 2 which I own, and the local hardware is far from capable. If I use HL Alyx as an example of a higher end fully fledged VR title, I bet even Quest 3 hardware won't natively run it without a significant downgrade best case scenario. High end experiences are what is going to make VR move forward. There is a reason why there are so many ppl own current gen consoles such as the PS5 and that's because they are looking for next level gaming.

We need next level VR experiences/games and only next level hardware is going to give you that. You will never get that in a wireless headset with local hardware. PSVR2 and Sony investing into AAA VR experiences is what will leap VR forward because it is the most accessible higher end hardware for VR in comparison to needing a high end PC.

then stacks it up against his total guesswork of VR total install base. He even said VR software isn't doing great because Carnival Games VR of all things didn't do great

These meltdown wall of texts are fun and all, but you have no idea what you're saying and your argument has to take random parts of posts and then remove context to make up what was actually said.

For example this line is 100% fake. VR software sales are bad, I've been saying it for a long time, professionals have been saying it a long time, credible trackers been saying it as well. Sorry.

Some of Europe, minuscule shipments, company literally cut their sales forecast for this whole year by 50% and had layoffs. You can't spin the fact Pico sales are low, and that it's gaining on the Steam chart anyway, showing that the headsets it's passing on the chart to increase its usage are likely incredibly low.

Proving my point.

DLkgUoh.png

Before Quest 2

Valve Index 15.7%
Oculus Rift S 25.1%
HTC Vive 17.2%

12 months after Quest 2
Quest 2 36.3%
Valve Index 16.9%
Oculus Rift S 16.0%
HTC Vive 9.2%

Quest 2 49.3%
Valve Index 15.4%
Oculus Rift S 11.0%
HTC Vive 6.5%
Oculus Rift 4.0%

Gifs don't protect your bad argument, especially when you have to lie to do it.

This chart that I posted, was around the PEAK of Index and several other headsets with 2.21% of users being on steam in Feb 2021,

The current charts as of Feb 2023, has all INCLUDING the Index down, which you skipped over because it crashes your narrative. What you're trying to do is compare November 2021, which was DOWN from 2021, so you can use a temp higher bump the Index got and pretend there was growth.

Newsflash, Index has been stagnant in the same percentage range the whole time despite outliers, It was a at 16% in Feb 2021, almost all months since Valve was below 16%, and only got bumps when other leading headsets shrank and moved down the charts, because several of the charts were...discontinued or cut shipments.

Notice how you completely ignored that before Quest 2 the Rift S was the leading headset in Feb 2021 and it was discontinued 2 months later? April 2021?

Notice how you also ignore Pico small sales climbing up the Steam Charts over 1%, with record percentage growth 4 months in a row, despite low sales?

Notice how you avoided Rift S is still right NOW, behind the Valve by less than 6% usage, and yet you are still going to be this moronic and suggest, that the reason the Valve Index is still second, is because it sells a significant amount of headsets only less than 6% away from the Rift S NOW that was discontinued two years ago?

bbddb971e3f44c1da7b3b6e9a74f0e8d.jpeg

You dodged it and the other facts because it makes your arrative complete nonsense. Let's be honest here, you are desperately trying to pretend the Index is selling well while ignore a discontinued headset is on its heals so you don't have to think about the fact the Index has been selling peanuts since that 149k after the ANNOUNCEMENT of Half-life Alyx.

Don't forget you claimed it launched in 2019 when it launched in 2020 because...

You have no idea what you're talking about. Posting gifs doesn't coverup the problem your position.

Also Valve never released Index numbers since that 149k themselves, but did for Steam Deck before and after one million, why would Index be different? Oh, because it's not doing hot and hasn't hit a number they want to highlight.

Btw, you say "say something about it" I did. I put in parenthesis "as of Jan 2020", it's been there the whole time. But for some reason you have to make up that I didn't mention anything about when the sales were, because you know you don't have an argument, which doesn't really help your case here.

I never said or implied that Valve never sold index's past that 149k that's your new spin attempt, the issue is you're trying to argue they sold a significant amount despite a discontinued for two years Rift S freaking being less than 6% away on the usage chart in Feb 2023.

So that means Rift S is selling tons of headsets to? or are you going to admit you got smacked by the facts?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Steam VR backend pretty much covers all the other ones.

With no positional tracking, those cell phone enclosure ones are kinda iffy to count as 'headsets", bit still good for context.

They aren't "headsets". Not sure why Eddie is even including those.

Buggy Loop

Dude, get some help really.

Your sale charts are a mess, based on treads of info that you tweak for a narrative.

I messed the Half Life Alyx launch period date, oops. So it sold 149k before even the launch of the Index's biggest incentive. Wow, i got corrected.

But it kept at 149k and barely budged, sold a few thousands here and there sprinkled. Sure buddy. All other headsets melted away

I addressed the Rift S
Rift S melted 13.1% away from the month before Quest 2 to now

Are you even keeping up?

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Why are you even dragging the Rift S into this? You want me to convince you it sold thousands because it’s 5% lower market share than index, it’s the opposite, even if it stopped selling completely, it managed to lose 13% market share, for Index to not drop but actually increase from pre-quest 2 to now, it HAD to sell. Rift S is not helping you here.

"The current charts as of Feb 2023, has all INCLUDING the Index down"

Do you even have eyes? Index has 17.00% as of Feb 2023, +0.94%, more than the "peak" you say of at 16%. As the road to vr article points out, it pretty much kept the market share at #2, ~15-17%, without melting away while Quest 2 demolished everything. HOW IS THAT A STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH.
It HAS to sell. I don't give a fuck its not millions, don't twist the narrative. There's data that shows that Valve Index has kept selling really good in top steam charts for weeks on weeks beyond just 2019's 149k.

You saw 600k? Well why not present it? If its not a million, its not a million, i don't give a shit. Just stop pretending you have the data, its not even close. Its laughable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wat ever happened to HTC Vive?

Years back when VR sets were a new thing, it was all Oculus and Vive.

Going by those charts above, Vives have a terrible share even if you add up all the models together. I didn't know they even still made them for PC since you never even hear about the brand. All you ever hear about are Quests.

I messed the Half Life Alyx launch period date, oops. So it sold 149k before even the launch of the Index's biggest incentive. Wow, i got corrected.

You also avoided the fact Valve didn't produce higher quantifies before and after the game released as well, You're desperately trying spin index numbers based on a chart without sales units and only percentages, yet projecting and accusing me of not having numbers, yet I'm the only one who posted actual units from a source, which btw, you claimed and lied also that I didn't note when those sales were, and I did.

I addressed the Rift S
Rift S melted 13.1% away from the month before Quest 2 to now

It was also discontinued in April 2021, the part you keep skipping, and had rose up a few times just like the Index since then until now in 2023, except like Index, those were few and it was down most months since then.

Rift S melting 13.1% has nothing to do with the fact it's been next to Index most of the time and is currently less than 6% away from it in steam usage. Using your own flawed logic, if the Index was selling a significant number of units which Valve hasn't mentioned unlike the Steam Deck, then Rift S which is discontinued, also is still selling a significant amount of units, because you trying to use a few bumps because some headsets shrank that went to the INdex, and trying to use those outliers to say it sales, the same thing happened to the Rift S.

Quite simply you have no idea what you're talking about.

But it kept at 149k and barely budged, sold a few thousands here and there sprinkled

You're so incredibly desperate and trying to save face so badly for being wrong Mr."Alyx released in 2019" you're now making up words that were never said to justify your alternate reality.

it’s the opposite, even if it stopped selling completely, it managed to lose 13% market share, for Index to not drop but actually increase from pre-quest 2 to now, it HAD to sell. Rift S is not helping you here.

No, there is no "market share" in terms of sales, it's percentage of users using a headset. Last I checked the Index was still in production, and Rift S was discontinued near two years ago. Again, you can't grasp something this simple. if Rift S had bumps just like the Index (despite month being down most months since Feb 2021) then that means using your poor logic, the Rift S is also still "selling", instead of just simply realizing that Index sales are low.

You never had a valid argument from the start. You ignore everything that destroys your narrative, including SteamVR being SMALLER now then in Feb 2021. Which the Quest has outside of outliers, doubles it's share consistently since then, where as the valve shrank. But you expect people to beleive the Index was selling significant units during SteamVR close to falling below 2% of steam users?

Another thing you keep ignoring because you're literally on your last leg for this poor argument is the Pico, which had limited shipments, and this year with additional launches and originally expecting over 1 million sold, just cut their expectations by over 50% and laid off a bunch of people because of the unsustainability of trying to race the Quest, and it's not even as widely available.

Despite low sales, Pico 4 months in a row has grown on SteamVR past 1 % and is now heading toward the top of the SteamVR charts, which are SHRINKING overall, with low sales, if you believe the Pico is rising that fast because it's selling high numbers of units, than that would mean the RIft S is also selling high numbers of units, a discontinued headset from two years ago. You will of course dodge this again because you are incredibly upset that trackers don't put Index on them because it sells so low. If they do it's in the "other" category for most of them. Sorry.

Do you even have eyes? Index has 17.00% as of Feb 2023,

With SteamVR users at 2.07%. It was 2.19% in January, you're trying to find some bumps for Valve to pretend there's growth it's not, it's stagnant and only bumps when other headsets are bumping off or reducing because it reduces the percentage split.

You keep saying that "index stayed" yeah, and how many of the headsets on the above list I posted are discontinued or low shipments with barely any engagement? Why is Rift S number 3 and why is Quest 1 below the original Rift family of devices which are long gone?

It's when you ask these question you realize your argument is worthless, Valves percentage, less than 6% away from Rift S, is not indicating of any sales, just that it's still being made, and people who buy it are pretty much going to have to use SteamVR. While people elsewhere are dropping using other headsets, allowing niche sellers (for now) like Pico 4 to climb the charts.

You saw 600k? Well why not present it? If its not a million, its not a million, i don't give a shit. Just stop pretending you have the data, its not even close. Its laughable.

We do have the data, 149k as of 2020 as the OP says.

The only person desperately trying to spin it as LTD is you. You have to make stuff up to pretend you have an argument and lie about what was actually said, because you can't stand the thought the Index is an expensive niche product that Valve themselves never bothered to make ore of after the bump they got at the Alyx announcement.

Simple research would show that Valve never increased production number for Alyx near before and after it came out, which is why there were reports of shortages.

Valve clearly has no interest to overproduce headsets (probably for profit given chasers have all proven to be unsustainable, sure they claimed it was shortages in the supply chain and that's buyable in 2020, but they never improved production in 2021 or 2022 either, but shifted on the Steam Deck just fine.) and is now about to put out a successor.

The data in the Op is valid late data we got for the headset, with the time frame where that data was produced, 600k comes from unverified speculative source based on nothing, but you not caring about inaccurate numbers just because they are higher than the last report only proves my point that your while reason for disputing the Index figures and ONLY the Index figures (you wouldn't claims there was anything wrong with other numbers until I called you out just now) because YOU PERSONALLY don't like the numbers.

So you jsut spend multiple posts trying to pretend SteamVR headset usage charts showed unit sales. Quite the commitment.

Wat ever happened to HTC Vive?

Years back when VR sets were a new thing, it was all Oculus and Vive.

Going by those charts above, Vives have a terrible share even if you add up all the models together. I didn't know they even still made them for PC since you never even hear about the brand. All you ever hear about are Quests.

HTC has never managed to keep interest in their headsets through multiple releases like Cosmos, Flow etc

I am hearing good buzz about the new XR Elite headset although we are still looking at high cost, and HTC hasn't given the best reason for consumers to jump for their headsets though.

They released the Flow for $499 which you would think have solved the issue (granted without a controller) aiming to create a VR headset for people who didn't like VR, but that didn't catch on either. Seems HTC is just aiming for hardcore and business markets now, but that may be better for their bottom lone in the end.

XR Elite as I said, has been getting some of the most positive reception HTC has had for awhile, but at $1,099 (the pre-order price) not sure if that's going to be a driver. The XR Elite releases March 24, and you get 5 games if you pre-order,

f72d0d14-7cd1-4bb9-aa4b-ee1814470372.__CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464_V1___.png

Good reviews for the headset, but I'm not sure who's going to get it outside the hardcore.

Crayon

Same deal in the best selling VR games thread, there's a top # format but he lists data from a month or a year of early access sales or before later/Quest ports, pretends some random indie game needs AAA sales so its thousands or million aren't great and pretends it's all encompassing, legit and up to date like there aren't countless games he has no idea how they really sold, some of which have more user reviews (usually a fraction of sales) than some sales numbers listed (and trying to put down Alyx sales because it was given with Index like people didn't buy it for such games), then stacks it up against his fabricated VR total install base. He even said VR software isn't doing great because Carnival Games didn't do great yet sold a few million on Wii's crazy install base (but similar numbers from other VR games aren't great somehow) even though that IP has been on many platforms since then, including PS4 and Switch, with nowhere near the same success the last 15+ years so obviously it was a fluke riding Wii's coattails rather than some big release anyone rational would have expected better numbers from on any platform, but let's call it a system seller, Carnival Games, woo! He also doubled down calling me out after I corrected his thrice checked "research" was wrong to claim RE7 got a Quest port (it didn't) and that's the only way it could achieve Capcom's reported VR user numbers that he went back to edit out and just call me a troll after (but the OP still has it as of now). At least he's gone from posting about random VR headsets only to propose them as viable PSVR2 killers based on some random spec, to putting down all of VR when that didn't pan out, to starting to pretend he's objective or even hopeful about VR's future so that's a bit of a win for logic 🤷‍♂️

Your walls of text with fake or manipulated information and "opinions" sold as fact are all good but wriitng a paragraph to debunk it is a meltdown, more great Eddie logic. You're quoted right there in the link saying the exact thing you now claim is 100% fake, the fuck? Get a grip. Here it is again:

Laughing at calling Carnival Games a hit Wii game for its few million on Wii's install base, ignoring the last 15 years of the IP's nonexistent appeal on any platform just to claim it should sell better in VR in the same thread you put down indie games for selling similar numbers is out of context and a meltdown? You're wrong for Myst too, sure it's a classic and all its versions/remakes since 1993 have sold a lot collectively but the latest remake which wasn't made just for VR but also flat, Xbox, etc. and got the Quest port and VR support on PC hardly sold on any platform so how's that VR's fault? Minecraft was only sold officially on mobile phone based 3DOF VR. There are probably many more users playing VR mods of the game on proper VR platforms than it sold on that aging Samsung stuff nobody other than your sorry ass wants to lump in the same category as the likes of PSVR2 🤦

Edit: not a bug! Accidentally got pasted in while alexios was compiling that.

Something about your longer compilation posts send me an alert that you mentioned me lol. This is the second time. What a weird glitch.

also edit: that's a lot of words to say Eddie's insane.

Last edited:
https://exputer.com/news/tech/oculus-quest-2-sales-ranking-domination/
The virtual and augmented reality market has been growing in recent years, with several popular headsets available for players. Some of the other mainstream headsets include Google’s Daydream, HTC’s VR family, Oculus Rift family, Oculus Go, and Oculus Quest 1, Nintendo Labo, TCL’s Alcatel VR, Valve Index, and Microsoft‘s Hololens

These are among the most well-known headsets on the market and these devices have collectively sold millions of units to date. Although they may not get their time in the spotlight again, they surely paved the way for the future generation. With many new headsets sets to release before the end of the year and the mediocre hype,

I wonder what site Exputer got this information from in the exact same order as this thread without citing the source, but they had no problem citing here when they went over the list of what awards Phil Spencer won.

Top Bottom