• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The current offering of monitors @ 1440p, IPS, 144hz, 1ms, and Gsync all suck

If you want to upgrade and have all of those boxes checked, it's hard to find one that is reasonably priced or doesn't have QC issues.

There seem to be about three or four total that check all of those boxes, and I'm a guy looking to finally come off of 1080p 60FPS, but I don't know if I can give up my beautiful IPS colors. Hell, I'd almost be willing to stay with 1080p if it meant IPS, Gsync, 144hz, and 1ms. I don't think those exist at all. Why are there no 1080p IPS with all of those boxes checked? Some people still prefer 1080p and it's still very much the standard.

I'm looking to spend about $450 tops for a new monitor. I'd go TN if there was a monitor that didn't have absolute shit color reproduction.

Things now is that G-sycn is still the cherry on top of something already somewhat extravagant, that's why you don't usually see it on anything that it is not the expensive gaming models.

Jimrpg

If you want to upgrade and have all of those boxes checked, it's hard to find one that is reasonably priced or doesn't have QC issues.

There seem to be about three or four total that check all of those boxes, and I'm a guy looking to finally come off of 1080p 60FPS, but I don't know if I can give up my beautiful IPS colors. Hell, I'd almost be willing to stay with 1080p if it meant IPS, Gsync, 144hz, and 1ms. I don't think those exist at all. Why are there no 1080p IPS with all of those boxes checked? Some people still prefer 1080p and it's still very much the standard.

I'm looking to spend about $450 tops for a new monitor. I'd go TN if there was a monitor that didn't have absolute shit color reproduction.

If you're talking about the Acer XB270HU, you might be reading old posts on the first batch of launch monitors which had light bleed issues.

They have generally fixed most of those issues and you would be unlucky to get a poor quality one now.

In fact the next model up the Acer XB271HU which I believe is 165hz (overclocked) and has HDMI has fixed most of those issues for sure.

Also 1440p/144hz/Gysnc/IPS monitors are still expensive and its at least $600 for the XB270HU and more for the newer model.

But if you're on a budget, you may as well stay with 1080p because its not as GPU hungry as 1440p and means you have to get a better graphics card or lower your settings on your existing card.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
http://www.productchart.com/monitors/

On this chart, at:
144hz, 1440p, 1ms response time, Gsync

I get three options:
Dell 2417DG YNY1D ($476, TN)
Dell S2716DG ($549, TN)
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q ($655, TN)

At 144hz, 1ms response time, Gsync, 1080p, it adds:
Acer Predator XB241H bmipr ($399, TN)

No IPS panels. You get a handful more options if you allow for 4ms response times.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
http://www.productchart.com/monitors/

On this chart, at:
144hz, 1440p, 1ms response time, Gsync

I get three options:
Dell 2417DG YNY1D ($476, TN)
Dell S2716DG ($549, TN)
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q ($655, TN)

At 144hz, 1ms response time, Gsync, 1080p, it adds:
Acer Predator XB241H bmipr ($399, TN)

No IPS panels. You get a handful more options if you allow for 4ms response times.
The 4ms options aren't exactly terrible on top of that. The Asus model 144hz 4ms IPS has a 10ms display lag which is extremely good. People get way too hung up on the GTG times.

Trace

Banned
Not really looking for the best, but maybe second or third place? lol

That's one way I'd word it.

I don't think the panel you're asking for exists. IPS panels in general don't hit 144hz, nevermind the rest of what you're asking for, at least at a "decent" price.

Grassy

It's a great monitor (I have it myself). But I can't deny that the XB270HU has a lot of samples with heavy IPS Glow/backlight bleeding. I have some spots as well. I just don't care that much because you practically never notice it when playing games etc.

How old is your monitor? The "IPS glow" in the bottom right corner was the only issue I had with mine(May 2015 model), but it wasn't detectable while gaming and I just checked again using a black screen and it appears to be gone altogether now.

How old is your monitor? The "IPS glow" in the bottom right corner was the only issue I had with mine(May 2015 model), but it wasn't detectable while gaming and I just checked again using a black screen and it appears to be gone altogether now.

Are you looking off axis?

I think you're talking about clouding.

120v

if a couple hundred bucks is an issue i suggest getting an amazon card and financing. i got a rog swift and had a whole year to pay it off. felt like a flat out steal

as for QC issues everything has QC issues

The Asus Pg278q is the best TN panel I've ever used, it's true 8 bit which is somewhat rare on TN but I guess expected on such an expensive monitor. I did however upgrade to the Pg279q which is 165hz and IPS with 4ms G2G, but when TFTcentral measure total lag (pixel response time + input lag) the IPS version had slightly less overall lag than the TN versions despite a 1ms G2G. As a poster earlier said people focus too much on g2g, it's just a marketing spec tbh.

IMO I would pay a little bit more and get an IPS version of the sort of panel you are looking, in for a penny, in for a pound (or dollar) a monitor will last ages and you might end up kicking yourself wondering what the IPS version could look like. The 279q also has HDMI as well so I can plug my consoles in where the 278q just had 1 DP port which was quite a big deal for me too.

Top Bottom