• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Meal presents the 40 best burgers in US and top 10 chain burgers in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
In-N-Out should have been #1 and Umami #2.

Otherwise, not really a bad list.

I think Umami is borderline mediocre and I have eaten there several times. That said, the star spotting and fries are great.

Dicks is TURRIBLE. And I can literally hit one with a Frisbee from my deck. In fact drunk Dicks droppings are the only litter I ever see on my street

I just went to the Burger Guys in houston this past Tuesday. Probably the best burger I've ever had out. Shit, it was better than a lot of the ones I've had that people have made. Had fries finished with duck fat to go with it.

Talon

Is Shake Shack worth the hype? I walked past the DC location once, and there was a sickening line out the door.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just went to the Burger Guys in houston this past Tuesday. Probably the best burger I've ever had out. Shit, it was better than a lot of the ones I've had that people have made. Had fries finished with duck fat to go with it.
They can be hit or miss.

A few times ive been there, its been absolutely incredible, and another time I went, I don't know what happened, but it completely failed to impress

Talon

Yes. However, last time I went they refused to cook my burger medium rare, which made the experience less pleasant.

The patties are usually well-seasoned, though the non-Madison Square Park locations of the shack do have their off days with seasoning. Their's is the only (fast food) burger that uses a custom-designed blend including brisket and short rib, and that care definitely shows.
mmm...and actually fresh tomatoes you say?

I bet this is a situation where the NYC locations outperform the other locations, though.

rrs

I wish they would bring Steak N Shake out west, but probably never will happen during my lifetime. It's a shame.

I'd trade In N Out for Steak N Shake any day.

I don't get the 5 Guys hate, either. I love the food there. I just wish it was a little less expensive. I hate spending ten bucks on a burger and fries from a chain.

Steak N Shake is so overrated, it's good for the price and those shakes are gooood but the burgers are not as good as Burger King or Five Guys.

Was dissapointed in burger fi. The concretes were awesome though. But mediocre burger, overly salty too. Onion rings are massive, but tasted bland. Fries are so so.

Davidion

many cities have laws about it.

The laws were always there, though it seems that many places were more flexible about bending them. It in fact may have something to do with fast food places, which Shake Shack technically is categorized as. This new adherence to the law annoys me.

mmm...and actually fresh tomatoes you say?

I bet this is a situation where the NYC locations outperform the other locations, though.

The ingredients are absolutely fresh, which is at least true for the location I go to.

Being a New Yorker I'm ashamed I haven't tried any of the NY burgers in the top five. Ill be sure to try these soon. I'll skip the butter burger though.

bomma_man

Chicken burgers > beef burgers 90% of the time

Don't if it's just the pictures but a lot of these look pretty bad, plus American 'cheese' is fucking disgusting.

The chicken, avocado, red onion and cheese burger + thick cut crispy fries I can get from a nearby pub > most of these judging by looks.

TomServo

I don't get The Varsity being on the list, honestly. For best hot dogs? Sure. Best onion rings? Yeah. Good shakes too. I have honestly never gotten a burger there. Looks like a Whitecastle or Krystal burger to me.

I love the Varsity, but not for burgers. You go there for chili dogs and a Varsity orange. Their burgers are mediocre fast food fare, somewhere between White Castle and McDonald's.

On top of that, the burger in their picture is doing it wrong. Yellow mustard and onions go with Varsity chili, not cheese and ketchup. Seriously, the thought of ketchup on a chili burger from the Varsity makes me retch.

I disagree with this list so hard. first of all, steak n shake shouldn't even be on it. Carls Jr. not being on the list is a travesty. And lastly, I haven't tried the #1 burger on that list but there is no reason for in-n-out or five guys to place higher than whataburger. Anyone that's had a fresh burger from there knows that those two can't touch it.

andthebeatgoeson

I don't get The Varsity being on the list, honestly. For best hot dogs? Sure. Best onion rings? Yeah. Good shakes too. I have honestly never gotten a burger there. Looks like a Whitecastle or Krystal burger to me.
It's actually really bad. The chili looks like trash, dried paste. I was pretty soured by the whole experience. That burger can't beat out the 99¢ burger at McDonald's, which at least nails a great flavor mixture of pickle, onions and mustard. I was hopeful reading the op until I got there. Could only get there based on reputation as being a place to go for greasy food while half the large northeastern cities laugh in pity. I'm convinced the varsity is famous for its location downtown more than the quality of the food.

Dead

well not really...yet
I disagree with this list so hard. first of all, steak n shake shouldn't even be on it. Carls Jr. not being on the list is a travesty. And lastly, I haven't tried the #1 burger on that list but there is no reason for in-n-out or five guys to place higher than whataburger. Anyone that's had a fresh burger from there knows that those two can't touch it.
Whataburger is shit tier compared to in'n'out and five guys...

Swig_

Steak N Shake is so overrated, it's good for the price and those shakes are gooood but the burgers are not as good as Burger King or Five Guys.

I think Five Guys is probably better, but the selection is limited. I loved Steak N Shake when I lived in Florida and I recently traveled for work to Georgia and it was just as good as I remember.

I think Five Guys is probably better, but the selection is limited. I loved Steak N Shake when I lived in Florida and I recently traveled for work to Georgia and it was just as good as I remember.

Steak N Shake can be hit or miss but it's great and cheap when its hit

xk0sm0sx

First time in the US, I tried both Five Guys and In N Out.

I had Five Guys's Double Cheese Bacon Burger with grilled mushrooms, grilled onions, mayonnaise.

In And Out I ordered a standard Double Double.

I preferred Five Guys more. The burger was juicier and tastier. It loses out on price value since it's 2x the price of In N Out.

Until, I ordered this beast at In N Out:

2013-07-06

4x4 in Protein Style and it's only $7.

Aftermath:
20130706_153034.JPG

That's cheese and salad sauce right there. The whole thing was bursting out.

Cat Party

How does the #1 burger in America have American Cheese [sic] on it? American cheese is just shit, I don't get it.

Pretty much invalidated the list for me. You have all these burgers with high quality ingredients, some made by fucking master chefs, and the winner is that shit.

thcsquad

Man, Steak and Shake is good and I'm glad to see the Midwest represented so high, but I think Culver's is far better than Steak and Shake. Best chain burgers I've had, though I've never had the opportunity to try 1 and 2 on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom