• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darius Cozmic Collection to Switch

Pachi72

Very excited for this.
Taito's legendary Darius games are coming to Nintendo Switch.
https://www.destructoid.com/taito-s...es-are-coming-to-nintendo-switch-510834.phtml
Taito's intergalactic space shooter Darius, first launched in 1986, set a benchmark for the shmup genre with its amazing, fast-paced action. Next year, fans will have a chance to relieve the arcade classic and its many sequels with a new compendium, coming to Nintendo Switch.

The Darius Cozmic Collection (another "s" as a "z"!) will launch in Japan in two editions. The standard release will be priced at ¥5,200 (or around $47 USD) and will contain Darius, Darius II, Saigaia and the awesome Darius Gaiden.

The Special Edition includes the above games, but also adds a selection of home ports. These include SNES titles Darius Twin and Force, the Sega Genesis version of Darius II, the Master System port of Saigaiaand, arguably the centrepiece of the entire collection, the ultra-rare Darius Alpha for the PC Engine, which still commands big bucks today.

Speaking of big bucks, said Special Edition, which also includes a booklet and soundtrack CD, is priced at a cool ¥16,800, or roughly $150 USD. That's a chunk of change for a collection of retro releases, but shmup enthusiasts are a hardcore breed, and will likely have no problem dropping the dollar for this piece of arcade gaming history.

Darius Cozmic Collection launches in Japan on Nintendo Switch February 28, 2019.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Assuming this imports for around $50+shipping, I think it's worth it. Darius Gaiden hasn't gotten a home port since the PS2 Taito Legends (2?) version. I'm not sure about the other games but Darius isn't a series that gets ported around a lot.

I think the standard edition is worth the asking price. Hard pass on that Limited Edition, though.

Pachi72

Assuming this imports for around $50+shipping, I think it's worth it. Darius Gaiden hasn't gotten a home port since the PS2 Taito Legends (2?) version. I'm not sure about the other games but Darius isn't a series that gets ported around a lot.

I think the standard edition is worth the asking price. Hard pass on that Limited Edition, though.
Can the American switch play Imports?

Maguro

I can't wait for this collection. I do have Darius 2 on MageDrive and Darius Gaiden for Saturn. And playing a HD remastered collection is gonna be awesome. I don't know what it is about that series... I think I like sea creatures and Sci fi.

Impotaku

Id want to know for that price if all the data is on the cart or it's half the games and then you download the rest kind of bullshit because they were too cheap to use a bigger capacity cart. Nowdays you never know which games pull that trick.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If this Switch game is anything like the old 80s and 90s Darius games, they are shit. I had Sagaia (Darius on Genesis). Super bland shooter with lousy visuals and sound. Then put in Thunderforce 3 or Contra 3 or Axelay and Darius looks like a 2600 game.

clem84

Gold Member
If I knew for a fact this would never come to the west I would import the special edition in a heartbeat. It's still very tempting.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If this Switch game is anything like the old 80s and 90s Darius games, they are shit. I had Sagaia (Darius on Genesis). Super bland shooter with lousy visuals and sound. Then put in Thunderforce 3 or Contra 3 or Axelay and Darius looks like a 2600 game.
It has Darius Gaiden, which is worth the price of admission alone.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Anyone else get their Cozmic Collection this week?

v10i19j.jpg

ShrRrYZ.jpg

Had to take a pic with little brother.

NEN0TOz.jpg

Really happy to own this collection. I read some smatterings on twitter that this could be a physical only release, which is kinda shitty if you ask me. I'd suggest trying to pick up a copy before they're all gone.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's gorgeous Jesus Carbomb Jesus Carbomb

I'm passing on this particular one because I already own the title I like (Darius Gaiden) on a few different systems.

Definitely a cool collection, though. I'm jealous. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
That's gorgeous Jesus Carbomb Jesus Carbomb

I'm passing on this particular one because I already own the title I like (Darius Gaiden) on a few different systems.

Definitely a cool collection, though. I'm jealous. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Gaiden is my favorite out of the bunch as well. I sold my Saturn copy years ago so it's nice to have the game on the shelf again.

I was close to passing up on the special edition but I just couldn't resist owning all 9 games (Darius Alpha :messenger_open_mouth:) on a single cartridge. M2 handling the port was the cherry on top.

angelic

Banned
Darius Gaiden needs a soft autofire else its unplayable to a high level. I bet they dont put it in.

Maguro

Caught me standard edition now on ebay...can't wait for it. Sadly the special edition with the SMS Port is already too expensive to get.

RobbieD25

Neo Member
Gaiden is my favorite out of the bunch as well. I sold my Saturn copy years ago so it's nice to have the game on the shelf again.

I was close to passing up on the special edition but I just couldn't resist owning all 9 games (Darius Alpha :messenger_open_mouth:) on a single cartridge. M2 handling the port was the cherry on top.
Nice. That must be a sweet collection.

Maguro

Why are those games physical only, when all the games common between both editions can be bought via digital edition? DOES NOT COMPUTE.
I think because the Shooter genre isn't much popular and mainstream therefore the people who are playing shooter are mostly purists who would prefer a phyiscal anyway. Also it's Darius, an old school shooter from the mid-80s. People who remember these games or want to play them are more likely purists and want a physical copy for collecting purpose as well anway. That several Shooter CE's go for really crazy amounts of money tells you something about the people who are fans of this genre. Ever looked up Ginka Fukei Densetsu Sapphire?, M.U.S.H.A or HyperDuel ? Yeah, exactly. It's a genre for hardcore fanatics.

Maguro

So do we know if Gaiden has autofire in this?

Yes:

Darius Gaiden is as beautiful to play now as it ever was, and caps off the brilliant Cozmic Collection. As you'd expect from M2, the options and the emulation are top tier. There are the gadgets familiar from the likes of Ketsui Deathtiny that furnish the screen and give you some visibility on the bigger picture - here, it's the level of your weapons, as well as the stages that are coming your way among other details - while save states let you break down the surprisingly lengthy campaigns into smaller pieces. There's the ability to set how fast your auto-fire is, if you wish to go down that route, and global leaderboards with downloadable replays so you can see the very best in action.

- https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-12-m2s-latest-for-switch-does-an-arcade-classic-justice

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Why are those games physical only, when all the games common between both editions can be bought via digital edition? DOES NOT COMPUTE.
Physical copies of shmups are often limited printings because they sell terribly.

For instance, during the X360 era the CAVE shmups that released (Mushi Futari, DDP Resurrection, ESGaluda II, etc) sold in the low tens of thousands.

Physical copies of shmups are often limited printings because they sell terribly.

For instance, during the X360 era the CAVE shmups that released (Mushi Futari, DDP Resurrection, ESGaluda II, etc) sold in the low tens of thousands.

That DOESN'T explain why they aren't in digital form. It's like saying Recca shouldn't have ever been put up on Virtual Console.

If the publishers complain about rom downloads in this case I have absolutely zero sympathy.

ETA: Ok, realized the standard edition isn't digital either. It was still super shady tiering 6 other games (even if ports) behind a collector edition, as if the feelies couldn't carry at least some of that value. There should at least be a "volume 2" a year or two later with the rest.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That DOESN'T explain why they aren't in digital form. It's like saying Recca shouldn't have ever been put up on Virtual Console.

If the publishers complain about rom downloads in this case I have absolutely zero sympathy.

ETA: Ok, realized the standard edition isn't digital either. It was still super shady tiering 6 other games (even if ports) behind a collector edition, as if the feelies couldn't carry at least some of that value. There should at least be a "volume 2" a year or two later with the rest.
I agree with everything you're saying.

I'm just pointing out -- as a diehard fan of the genre -- that shmup releases are generally treated poorly. They might be digital-only, or they might only release physical in one territory (like Battle Garegga PS4). I don't blame you for feeling frustrated.

angelic

Banned
So this looks pretty good, crt scanline filtered Gaiden with autofire would be nice...but it's also expensive as hell and the rest of the games are crap. Also, no Gaiden A-Z version hack is a huge error. The single second I order this on ebay for £50, the games will come out in the west on digital for cheap. So I will stick to saturn and mame.

Maguro

So this looks pretty good, crt scanline filtered Gaiden with autofire would be nice...but it's also expensive as hell and the rest of the games are crap. Also, no Gaiden A-Z version hack is a huge error. The single second I order this on ebay for £50, the games will come out in the west on digital for cheap. So I will stick to saturn and mame.

Why are the rest of the games crap? I enjoy them quite a lot

angelic

Banned
Why are the rest of the games crap? I enjoy them quite a lot

The old arcades are ok but fairly insipid, I don't think Darius really got going until Gaiden and G. The SNES game is terrible, the MD one not much better, Master System just a curio, and they're all available incredibly easily elsewhere.

Should have been that lot, plus G, plus Gaiden extra, plus the PSP game.

Maguro

The old arcades are ok but fairly insipid, I don't think Darius really got going until Gaiden and G. The SNES game is terrible, the MD one not much better, Master System just a curio, and they're all available incredibly easily elsewhere.

Should have been that lot, plus G, plus Gaiden extra, plus the PSP game.
Guess I have no standards. Just want to blast robo tuna in glorious 2D graphics.

I have the Japanese Gaiden on Saturn, but I like II on MD more.

angelic

Banned
Guess I have no standards. Just want to blast robo tuna in glorious 2D graphics.

I have the Japanese Gaiden on Saturn, but I like II on MD more.

I in no way mock your opinion, i just need music and visuals on the gaiden level and above. The 16 bit ones feel quite twee.

Id also like to see a port of G that emulates the ps1 slowdown, as the game was designed around it. Emulation screws with the uncapped frame rate, its meant to have slow bullet hell bits like pulstar, where the whole screen slows. All the collection versions mess this up.

Last edited:

Maguro

So do we know if Gaiden has autofire in this?

edit - it does. good.

I also wanted to add: I just played my Gaiden on Saturn again and that version has Autofire.... Why do you assumed that Autofire might be a Problem on the collection Gaiden? Wouldn't make much sense if it's included in the original by default but not on the collection port?!

angelic

Banned
I also wanted to add: I just played my Gaiden on Saturn again and that version has Autofire.... Why do you assumed that Autofire might be a Problem on the collection Gaiden? Wouldn't make much sense if it's included in the original by default but not on the collection port?!

It's a cheat on the saturn and it's not in the ps2/xbox ports. Im talking the superfast autofire, not the hold button for pew pew pew slow fire.

Last edited:

Which is funny because just look at the price of muchi muchi pork on ebay lol

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Which is funny because just look at the price of muchi muchi pork on ebay lol
Or Garegga and Radiant Silvergun on Saturn. Or any PCB. Believe me, I'm well aware of how expensive they can get after they've gone out of print and the small legion of shmup fans swarms the carcass.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Looks like G-Darius will come to the Switch as well:

Woah I might actually get that. I've held off on the other ones because I already have a few Darius games on other systems, but I've never owned nor played G-Darius.

Is Another Chronicle EX+ based on the same game as the PSP version? I own Chronicle Saviours on PS4 but I'm unsure if it is the same.

Woah I might actually get that. I've held off on the other ones because I already have a few Darius games on other systems, but I've never owned nor played G-Darius.

Is Another Chronicle EX+ based on the same game as the PSP version? I own Chronicle Saviours on PS4 but I'm unsure if it is the same.

G-Darius is a fantastic game I think, and also the first game I bought of the series in the late 90s. As for your question, it seems to be based on the 2010 arcade version of the game according to nintendolife:

This game...

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is what Nintendo is doing wrong and it has nothing to do with next generation that said I have no problem with this release.

Top Bottom