• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Pictures: Little Hope - Reveal Trailer

Trunim

Until Dawn is one of my most memorable experiences in recent years. It was fun through and through. Never played Man of Medan though because of the reviews.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
They won't ever make a game like Until Dawn again, will they?

I'm playing through until dawn with my wife right now. It does not hold up to my memory. The dialogue is unbelievably cringey.

Every other sentence that comes out of every characters mouth is about sex or how sexed up they all are. Was super noticeable five minutes in.

Other than that it's not bad.

Kinda wonder if Xbox is willing to pick them up to give them more budget? This could fill their yearly niche for a Halloween game. Sort of like a yearly horror game with AA or AAA quality but with different stories, and better writing / gameplay elements.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Someone gonna make an OT?

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
College students talking about sex and not quantum mechanics or quoting Shakespeare every two minutes? Truly outrageous.

Ya I knew that's the response I'd get. I do understand that. Its still very cringey. It was a bit much.

Nevermind the fact that they're all there in honor of the two dead sisters. No one takes the subject seriously at all.

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
just beat it. wish there was a spoilers thread somewhere because the ending leaves lots to talk about. i liked it quite a bit. Until Dawn is still the gold standard in my mind, i’d say this one is of mostly similar quality to man of medan but scarier and with a much stronger ending. man of medan has such a deflated anti-climatic ending where here they actually went for something interesting to cap it off with.

timmyp53

How is the performance on this for consoles? May just wait for the next gen system if it's more of the same from them.

What a fucking bug !!! No voice on my game. I'm not alone (french).
Supermassive : shame on you. And i bought it full price. Arggh.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
just beat it. wish there was a spoilers thread somewhere because the ending leaves lots to talk about. i liked it quite a bit. Until Dawn is still the gold standard in my mind, i’d say this one is of mostly similar quality to man of medan but scarier and with a much stronger ending. man of medan has such a deflated anti-climatic ending where here they actually went for something interesting to cap it off with.

I haven't finished man of Medan yet. Is this in any way connected as far as the story is concerned? I plan on finishing it first but is it necessary?

Kinda funny to see people disillusioned with SuperMassive's writing after enjoying Until Dawn. Thing is always thought Until Dawn's writing was pretty bad and that the game was boring due to the many long sequences of slow paced walking. I've actually enjoyed their newer games more because I can just laugh at the cheesy dialogue and silly moments and there's way less filler.

Just finished it Yesterday evening.
Good game, i enjoyed it a lot. 8.5 for me.
Perfect length : not too long. 0 gri ding. Great graphics, enjoyed the story. I had a good time and this is what is the most important.

Krisprolls

Banned
i have to admit i'm leaning this way myself. Man Of Medan was just.. boring. Can't force myself through it and I've tried a few times

Man of Medan isn't that bad. The middle section is a bit boring, but the end is great. It has tons of very different endings. Not on Until Dawn level, but not bad.

I liked Little Hope better though. It has one of the best endings in videogames in my opinion, it tries to do something no game ever did and mostly succeed. This game seems underrated by critics.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
But until dawnnnnn lol. Seems like that was more of a one hit wonder. I thought they nailed the cheesy b style horror film writing but they may be just bad at writing

It's not the same budget. Until Dawn had a bigger budget and a better cast. No idea why they decided to go smaller with Dark Pictures, I think it's less effective for this kind of movie like game. They also need to have better pacing (less slow motion walk please).

It would be great is Sony bought this studio and helped them with the budget.

Still, both Dark Pictures games are underrated I think. Little Hope is more of a 8/10 game to me, especially once you understand the great ending which changes the meaning of everything else and makes you want to make a second playthrough.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It's not the same budget. Until Dawn had a bigger budget and a better cast. No idea why they decided to go smaller with Dark Pictures, I think it's less effective for this kind of movie like game. They also need to have better pacing (less slow motion walk please).

It would be great is Sony bought this studio and helped them with the budget.

Still, both Dark Pictures games are underrated I think. Little Hope is more of a 8/10 game to me, especially once you understand the great ending which changes the meaning of everything else and makes you want to make a second playthrough.
I think Sony doesn't see potential in these types of games becoming huge sellers and they're not satisfied with medium successes (for AAA games). They also didn't fight for Quantic Dream to keep releasing games on their consoles.

mejin

I think Sony doesn't see potential in these types of games becoming huge sellers and they're not satisfied with medium successes (for AAA games). They also didn't fight for Quantic Dream to keep releasing games on their consoles.

Until Dawn wasn't an AAA game, but I get what you mean.

I think Supermassive just wanted their independence cause Until Dawn was very well received and even surprised Sony.

Quantic Dream was another matter because the dev has been found guilty after failing to step in and end workplace harassment. It is no surprise the Sony of these days wouldn't pursue any more partnerships with them.

Top Bottom