• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II announced (Digital Extremes)

Kifimbo

After many rumours, here's the PR:

2K Games Calls for Return of Chaos and Destruction with The Darkness™ II
Quad-Wielding combat, ruthless story and hand-painted graphic noir art style breathe new life into first-person shooter genre this fall

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that The Darkness™ II, the sequel to the million unit-selling 2007 title, The Darkness™, will be coming to the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in fall 2011. Developed by Digital Extremes and based on the supernatural horror comic book series created by Top Cow Productions, Inc., The Darkness II takes players down a brutal and personal path as Jackie Estacado, wielder of The Darkness – an ancient and ruthless force of chaos and destruction.

The Darkness II breaks out of the sea of conventional first-person shooters with its fervid Quad-Wielding gameplay, which will allow players to slash, grab, and throw objects and enemies with their Demon Arms while simultaneously firing two weapons. The game is layered with the use of dark versus light, steeped in deep and twisted storytelling, and engulfed in stylistic violence that is visualized through a hand-painted graphic noir technique that stays true to its comic book origins.

“The Darkness II is a well of dark and imaginative violence, and it’s a stylized and beautiful nightmare,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “The Darkness II continues the 2K Games tradition of delivering quality, innovative games that are filled to the brim with atmosphere and deep storytelling. The game takes a unique stance on fighting in the dark versus light. Combined with the arsenal of weapons at Jackie’s disposal and the gruesome attacks of the supernatural Demon Arms and Darkness powers, we’re proud to announce another title that delivers on our core values of creating games for gamers.”

The Darkness II will feature award-winning comic book writer, Paul Jenkins, who will provide a tightly integrated narrative that weaves dark humor with hardcore tenderness.

Take a step back from the familiar and comfortable, and prepare to embrace The Darkness.

It’s been two years since Jackie Estacado, now the Don of the Franchetti crime family, used The Darkness to kill the men responsible for his girlfriend’s murder. He’s been unable to shake the memory of Jenny’s death since bottling up his supernatural power, and now The Darkness wants out. A sudden, unprovoked attack on Jackie’s life heralds the start of a full-scale mob war, which has clearly been orchestrated by some outside force. The botched attempt opens the door for The Darkness to reemerge, and sets Jackie on a journey to hell and worse, as he unravels the mystery behind the attack and the motivations of The Darkness itself.

“Sometimes that whooshing sound you hear is that of comic fans holding their collective breath,” said Marc Silvestri, founder and CEO of Top Cow Productions and co-creator of The Darkness comics. “So often disappointed when a favorite character gives birth to a lame movie or video game, us fans have come to expect the worst. And sometimes we get it. But not with The Darkness II. Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado’s epic saga is – in my humble opinion – one of the most brutally cool games I’ve ever played. 2K Games hammered this one out of the park.”

The Darkness II is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on The Darkness II, please visit www.embracethedarkness.com.

2K Games is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

ZCfBi.jpg

EYEL1NER

OH MY GOD ARGHHHH ALL OVER MY FACE!!!!!!
Such great news. The first game was soooooo good.
Can't wait to see this quad-weilding. And to watch more old public domain TV shows/movies.

Also, No Mike Patton=No Sale (well, not really, but they better get him back).

Darklord

Banned
The original was an amazing game but finished in a way where you didn't need or want a sequel. Also, not being developed by Starbreeze either? It'll probably be an ok shooter with powers. Not interested.

Hixx

Le-mo said:
Not developed by Starbreeze makes me sad. The first one was brilliant.

Same. Though Digital Extremes have had a hand in a few good FPS so this could be just as good as the first.

This should be awesome. Let's hope DE can make it happen. Ill be honest I didn't hate Dark Sector as much as some others might have...

Zenith

Banned
Where the hell is Starbreeze's new Syndicate game? Is that really all they've been working on or have they helped out on other projects?

I've wanted this forever, and Dark Sector was decent, so I have cautious optimism. But I wonder if they can capture that unique feeling the first had. There was something cool about riding the subways and the somewhat laid back pace.

Chorazin

The original game was such a suprise in how good it was, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do in the sequel. Hype!

Cardon

Excellent news. I just hope that the actors from the first game specifically Mike Patton and Kirk Acevedo return since I loved their performances in the first game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll keep an eye on it. The original would've been a good game if it weren't for the absolutely terrible fundamental gameplay mechanics.

In retrospect, I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. There were just some quirks that made it slightly annoying at times. At least I appreciate it more now.

Kifimbo

Chauncy Talon said:
Hell yea. I hope that it has the same writers from the first game. That game was okay, but the writing was great.

Paul Jenkins is credited as a writer in the first game. Same here.

TheOctagon said:
In good hands.
I'm not saying they're bad developers, but I just saw that they were involved in BioShock 2 and that kinda changed my mood immediately, made me go "eh, meh, we'll see".

I really hope this won't be another BioShock 2.

Teetris said:
What the hell? Where's the atmosphere? Outlines?
Yeah, I thought it was cel shaded.

Haunted

Well, Digital Extremes is no Starbreeze, so I'm not sure I'm as pumped for this as some of you are.

I mean, Pariah, Warpath, Dark Sector?

BeeDog

brotkasten said:
I'm not saying they're bad developers, but I just saw that they were involved in BioShock 2 and that kinda changed my mood immediately, made me go "eh, meh, we'll see".

I really hope this won't be another BioShock 2.

BioShock 2 was better than the first one, hataz gun' hate.

Not liking the look of this though, the cel-shade/outline style doesn't fit the direction that was created with the first game.

Wow, they're finally making it. I liked the first game, so I'll play this eventually.

Oh wait, this is by the Dark Sector devs? God damn it. That's one of the few games this generation that was so bad, I couldn't even force myself to finish it. Fuck.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
banKai said:
looks like borderlands, kind of.
Oh god, so that's what it reminds me off. Goddamn it.

iconoclast said:
Oh wait, this is by the Dark Sector devs? God damn it. That's one of the few games this generation that was so bad, I couldn't even force myself to finish it. Fuck.
First level of DS was dope as hell tho

Hag

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck ;_;

Just make like the first one and I will love you forever. Give me those amazing loading screens and Jackie VA again.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The Darkness had the most intense scene this generation and in the history of videogames. The game was weak on the gameplay side but as interactive experience it gives me hope for the medium. I was shocked by how good it was and I was slouching through it on PS3.

I wonder why pretty much nobody has balls to roll out such intense scenes in SP except Rockstar and some other devs. I think it has more to do with devs mentality than publisher's pressure. They need to remember that now they have tools that allow them to strenghten other aspects of entertainment.

But gameplay should still be the king.

All that said I don't know if Digital Extremes have it.

Pein

Banned
Sweet, one of my favorite games gets a sequel. Not sure about DE though, Dark sector was pretty damn meh.

FUCK YES.

The first game had some frustrating moments, but goddamn did the story and atmosphere grip me. So good. I look forward to this. Especially if Mike Patton is involved again.

Top Bottom