• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The death of 70mm IMAX makes me sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With basically all 70mm theaters changing from 70mm film to 2 4K projectors, it makes me sad that we won't have as great of a movie quality that we once had.

In terms of detail, this is a comparison between film and digital.

979668305745423251.jpg

tbm24

Interstellar in 70mm IMAX was an amazing experience. I hold the one here in NY holds out until Star Wars

Someone explain this to me in easy terms.

Basically 70mm IMAX is the highest quality you can get in terms of pixels and resolution.

A Blu-ray has a movie playing at 1920 x 1080

A 4K projector has a movie playing at 4096 x 2160

70mm IMAX has a movie playing at a resolution of about 12000 x 4500.

In terms of theaters, there's only a few theaters that play real IMAX (70mm) and more that are called LieMax. Left is normal 35mm, middle is LieMax, and right is 70mm.

GhGQHFw.jpg

Someone explain this to me in easy terms.

Google 'Liemax'. Basically a lot of IMAX theatres stopped supporting the 70mm 'analogue' setups and converted to more modern digital setups, that unfortunately don't represent the original 70mm very well at all. In fact, it's a total difference.

Lum1n3s

Oh snaps, that must've been the type of movie screen at the Smithsonian from a while back. I remember when I saw an imax movie back when I was little kid in the Smithsonian, the movie screen was as big as the one on the far right of that pic. When I was older I decided to catch a flick at the movie theater that was in imax and it was no where near the size of what I remembered seeing back in the day.

Akahige

I have loved seeing the few films filmed with Imax in Imax theater's, but digital projection is so much better to me, plus it's pointless see a movie in Imax that wasn't filmed with the Imax cameras, there have been a few digitally shot films using 1:90 aspect at Imax theater's but those are few and far between.

Saw Interstellar at the Smithsonian last week. And TDKR at the Airbus theater at the hanger.

Both incredible experiences. Wish more IMAX movies played in these 70mm theaters.

BTails

It didn't occur to me until I was sitting in the IMAX before Interstellar started that it might actually be projected on film. Sure enough, I was VERY happy to see it was shown on 70mm film... It's the first movie I've seen projected on film in years, and made made my very nostalgic.

...The last movie I saw projected on film outside of a premium format was X-Men First Class, and even in the old theatre I saw it in, it looked phenomenal. It was tough going for years, when theatres could barely kept their projectors focused, but when film is projected like, there's nothing like it.

RIP
in peace

Hmm going to New England Aquarium tmrw in Boston and see they have a true IMAX theater might have to check it out. Jordan's Furniture also have Interstellar playing in their theaters which are both true IMAX.

wedward

Call me crazy, but if a movie is captivating I won't even notice the difference between 35 and 70.

A good movie is a good movie on any size screen.

70mm film is the best way to view a film and its a shame that it's being replaced by something inferior.

Shadow780

Is there an updated list of all the real imax theaters currently?

I know NYC 1998 Broadway is the only realy iMax in the city.

Seeing Interstellar in real 70mm film was amazing. Hearing nothing but the projector in the back felt so good.
Plus no trailers either at least from what I saw.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't that the size of any given multiplex screen?

Here in the US most theaters will have a dozen or so screens and like 10 of them are the little guys on the left but they'll have one or two "premiere" screens that are quite a bit bigger.

Lmo911

Unfortunately it's the economics of the situation. It's getting to a point where the documentaries are starting to debate releasing digital only and most of the big studios are already not supporting the format for feature length films. To my knowledge Interstellar was the last feature length. :/

Less than an hour, which is why many IMAX documentaries are so short. Longer movies can be shown using two projectors.

The max length of an 70mm Imax film is 2 hours and 49 minutes. It requires a pair of really huge film platters to pull off without having to split the film into parts, etc. This is why when you see feature length films in the format you don't get trailers, there just isn't space left on the platter to have them.

So there are different types of Imax theaters? I thought all of them are the same?

There are three primary IMAX formats:

-Traditional IMAX: 70mm, Big flat screen, Some 3D. It's what the graphic in this thread is comparing to. This is probably the one most people think of when they think "Real IMAX"

-IMAX Dome (Omnimax): 70MM, Big dome screens that cover your entire field of vision, No 3D options. These screens put you literally in the middle of things but if you watch a feature length film on one, you get curvature at the ends of the screen. It's probably my favorite for documentaries though. You feel like you're flying. These are also used a lot in movie rides (Back to the Future, Soarin', etc.)

-Theatrical IMAX: What you have at your local movie theater. Much smaller screen, primarily digital, 3D. It's the LieMax folks! They can look pretty but it's nothing compared to it's bigger brothers. You're basically paying for two theaters that have had their middle wall knocked down.

There are very few real Imax theaters.

To put it in perspective, NYC and LA each only have one real Imax screen

The rest charge the same and are a complete farce.

In LA the 3 I have been to are the universal city walk, California science center (only documentaries though) and the one near LAX, I thinks it's a Rave cinemas.

Aurongel

The fuck are you talking about? 70mm film doesn't have a resolution because it's FILM. Theoretically speaking, most 35mm film stock has a theoretical scan resolution of around 4-8K. IMAX 70mm film stock theoretically can scan up to 70 megapixels.

Only digital films project in a set resolution.

Maddocks

In LA the 3 I have been to are the universal city walk, California science center (only documentaries though) and the one near LAX, I thinks it's a Rave cinemas.

City walk and Irvine are the only two really. Rave changed direction and closed their imax screen for a 4d experience instead.

StuBurns

Banned
How many films have been predominately filmed in 65mm in the last thirty years? I know The Master, and Hamlet... That's all I can name, personally.

I saw The Dark Knight Rises at the Navy Pier 70mm IMAX in Chicago. It was a great experience, but even after playing for only a week, there was lots of dirt and dust on the print that could be distracting at times.

Nvzman

Basically 70mm IMAX is the highest quality you can get in terms of pixels and resolution.

A Blu-ray has a movie playing at 1920 x 1080

A 4K projector has a movie playing at 4096 x 2160

In terms of theaters, there's only a few theaters that play real IMAX (70mm) and more that are called LieMax. Left is normal 35mm, middle is LieMax, and right is 70mm.

GhGQHFw.jpg

Jesus, my tiny self probably couldn't handle seeing a movie on that huge screen without getting a heart attack.

Corgi

Banned
the bigger issue imo are those 'premium' things theaters are offering now. Regal has RPX and AMC has something too.

charge you IMAX ticket prices for bigger screen (same picture resolution as normal theater) and way too loud speakers that are the same quality just everything pushed to 11. with slightly better seats.

rekameohs

Banned
Jesus, my tiny self probably couldn't handle seeing a movie on that huge screen without getting a heart attack.

IMAX truly is incredible. I try to go to one film a year or so there. Star Trek Into Darkness was actually one of the ones I saw there and it was a load of fun.

Feep

Banned
City walk and Irvine are the only two really. Rave changed direction and closed their imax screen for a 4d experience instead.
That's a bummer. I really liked that theater...

Oh well. I was at CityWalk for Interstellar a couple nights back and it was awesome.

I thought film format was dead already and all movies now are recorded in digital
Quite a few movies and tv shows are still shot on film.

Interstellar
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Jurassic World
Batman Vs. Superman
Inherent Vice
The Walking Dead (shot on 16mm film)
American Horror Story

Those are just a few from the top of my head that are just released, soon to be released, and still on the air.

Unfortunately film prints are starting to disappear due to theaters switching to digital...but movies are still shot on film and they probably will be for at least a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom