• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death Of Final Fantasy XV DLC Memorialized In Mod.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://kotaku.com/the-death-of-final-fantasy-xv-dlc-memorialized-in-mod-1830376736

As Game Spark (via USGamer and DSOG) points out, modder Mrsaturn241 created these “FFXV DLC Memorial” tombstones.

“I could handle the loss of the episodes fairly well, but after hearing that Windows Edition production has concluded, it was like another more painful slap in the face,” wrote Mrsaturn241 on Steam.

“The level building tool and a[n] improved Mod Organizer (that could actually handle the game’s assets) would have been a perfect send off for the many people that were promised these tools when they bought the PC version. Now that the story expansion of FFXV has been harshly curtailed by all these cancellations, at least having the modding tools would be some consolation.”

eyresnjqvaptevzabc0x.jpg

u6devfyxmfbh2sveyfc2.jpg

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Do you think the mod tools have any chance of ever seeing the light of day? :(
There are few things more sick than an action RPG with rich modding tools. Come on, Square Enix!

xwez

Banned
“The level building tool and a[n] improved Mod Organizer (that could actually handle the game’s assets) would have been a perfect send off for the many people that were promised these tools when they bought the PC version.”

Broken promises to get you to buy a game. What's new in the video game industry.

KiteGr

It's the death of Final Fantasy in general.
The series didn't had a non-controversial game since FF10, most of them for being released unfinished, including this latest one.

Fbh

LOL.
Well I was promised a fully finished game when I spent $60 at launch and was given an early access title so I understand the frustration of the Pc community

It's the death of Final Fantasy in general.
The series didn't had a non-controversial game since FF10, most of them for being released unfinished, including this latest one.

To be fair XII was controversial for going into a new direction some people didn't like (I'll admit I was part of them) but at least as a game it was still a pretty good and well made product

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
A bit soon to write it off. Canceling specified DLC episodes =/= canceling all future DLC and all patch support.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm pissed about the modding tools.

I bought a PS4 Pro for XV and, you know what? No big deal. There's other games to play and I enjoyed my time with both the Day 1 edition and the Royal edition.

The Windows Version, though? I double dipped at full price specifically because I was promised modding tools and Workshop/community support.

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned
I dunno. Haven't yet seen a source that looks quite official.

It was announced in a completely unambiguous way during the livestream and there's been an official recap of said stream as well as a small handful of official statements.

You're just in denial.

Lastyou1

Banned
Sad for the PC user base, but saying that FF is dead is an exaggeration to say the least.
Every main numbered title in the series has been successful both critically and financially, excluding the day 1 edition of FF 14.
Even the most controversial titles (XV, XIV, XIII and XII) are great games on their own, maybe they don't live up to the expectations of a FF game, but I cannot name a better JRPG than them in the last 10 years, if not maybe Xenoblade Chronicles.

theclaw135

Banned
It was announced in a completely unambiguous way during the livestream and there's been an official recap of said stream as well as a small handful of official statements.

You're just in denial.

Get that stick out of, bah, not worth the effort.

I rarely use streaming or social media. When a company makes an offical announcement via such channels, don't expect it to reach me.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII remake, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and give us all the FF XV DLC you announced, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Sad for the PC user base, but saying that FF is dead is an exaggeration to say the least.
Every main numbered title in the series has been successful both critically and financially, excluding the day 1 edition of FF 14.
They may not be financially dead, but they are most definitely creatively dead.

Square should be releasing a new mainline Final Fantasy at least every two years. We've had two... in a decade.

The fact that the only major title in the franchise that we know about for the foreseeable future is a remake of a previous game is quite telling. And that is years off.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Even the most controversial titles (XV, XIV, XIII and XII) are great games on their own, maybe they don't live up to the expectations of a FF game, but I cannot name a better JRPG than them in the last 10 years, if not maybe Xenoblade Chronicles.

Nier:Automata was the better Final Fantasy XV. Hell, the Tales (Legendia, Vesperia, Berseria) series has better games over the past three gaming generations (PS2-PS4).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Dragon Quest XI came out this year tho.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Square should be releasing a new mainline Final Fantasy at least every two years. We've had two... in a decade.

That's not accurate. XII, XIII, XIV and XV are all very different mainline FF games, and represent 10 years of FF output (2006-2016).

And this is ignoring that there are 3 titles in the XIII series on the big-box consoles, and XIV was re-built from the ground up over that time.

Lastyou1

Banned
Nier:Automata was the better Final Fantasy XV. Hell, the Tales (Legendia, Vesperia, Berseria) series has better games over the past three gaming generations (PS2-PS4).

Nier automata is not a JRPG. And even then, it is made by Square Enix, and no, I don't think it is a better game than FFXV by any mean. I find it boring and overrated, being worse than the original Nier, which was a flawed gem, but still flawed.

I totally forgot about DQ11, though, my bad, so in the last 10 years only 2 JRPGS were better than FF, woah, what a competition!
The tales of series is terrible, I don't even know how someone could put it as a comparison to FF, but to each his own.

And no, capital NO, to a main line FF every two years. The PS One days are gone, rightfully so.
Developing FF XV requires the same amount of work as FF7/8/9 and X combined.
Just because FF XIII and XV were not what old school fans expected, doesn't mean that they are bad games.

Lastyou1

Banned
By that logic neither was XV.

What makes a JRPG a JRPG?
Well, Japanese style applied to RPG.
FF XV has a party, magic, summons, specific moves and equipment per character and has a Fantasy setting. But most importantly, every character has a role, hence the name of the genre.
Fantasy is a genre were common folks are involved by volition or chance in a good Vs evil scenario.

Nier Automata is an action game with post apocalyptic themes.
It is Japanese in style, but it is not a RPG.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What makes a JRPG a JRPG?
Well, Japanese style applied to RPG.
FF XV has a party, magic, summons, specific moves and equipment per character and has a Fantasy setting. But most importantly, every character has a role, hence the name of the genre.
Fantasy is a genre were common folks are involved by volition or chance in a good Vs evil scenario.

Nier Automata is an action game with post apocalyptic themes.
It is Japanese in style, but it is not a RPG.

Automata has a party, "magic", special moves and equipment, leveling mechanics, crafting, and grinding. It's an RPG. It's an action RPG, but so was XV.

Last edited:
That's not accurate. XII, XIII, XIV and XV are all very different mainline FF games, and represent 10 years of FF output (2006-2016).

And this is ignoring that there are 3 titles in the XIII series on the big-box consoles, and XIV was re-built from the ground up over that time.
Which is why I said "mainline".

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are direct sequels to a mainline titles, and they both involve a large amount of asset re-us. XIV is an MMO, and is so far removed from Final Fantasy conceptually that its name and visual references are the only thing tying it to the series. It is a spinoff in all but name.

Making XV the only new single player, mainline Final Fantasy in a decade.

Even if you did include them, that is still a terrible output for 12 years. We had 4 Final Fantasies between 1997 and 2001. That's only every 2 years. We should be on Final Fantasy XVIII by now.

Last edited:

Lastyou1

Banned
Automata has a party, "magic", special moves and equipment, leveling mechanics, crafting, and grinding. It's an RPG. It's an action RPG, but so was XV.

Using the same logic, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are RPGs...
Again, a real RPG makes you play a role in a fantasy setting.
Nier Automata doesn't even try to do it.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
The second highest selling FF is the death of the franchise, sure.

I am still peeved about the loss of Mod Support, however.

This is the biggest blow, and it will be even bigger, because Tabata was the one who was the biggest advocate for PC gaming in SE's HQ.

Top Bottom